I appreciate the scrupulousness of your motives.
– 总之,我只有一件重要的事情要说 – 是什么?
– I have, anyhow, only one important matter to speak of. – That is?
我想了许多我们 上次见面的时候你说的话…
I have thought a great deal about what you said at our last meeting…
我试着去想亨利的愿望会是什么
and I have tried to think what Henry’s wishes would be.
我记得他有一次对我说…
I remember he said to me once…
“你有许多优点,艾迪丝, 对一个男人来说
“You have too much good in you, Edith, for one man.
我有时候期望别人也能分享一些”
I sometimes wish that others could have a share of it.”
我重新考虑过了你对我的提议…
I have reconsidered the offer you made to me…
再一次感谢你, 而且很高兴地接受它
thank you again for it, and accept it glady.
你让我无话可说了
You rob me of words.
但是,我想,我们应该 至少三个月不做宣布
I think, however, we should make no announcement for three months, at least.
你认为怎么最好都行
As you think best.
在这种,嗯,新形势下…
In these, uh, new circumstances…
我想我会非常乐意 你的不寻常的…
I think it more than ever desirable that your unconventional…
虽然目的是很好的, 拜访能够打断
though in its purpose delightful, visit should be cut short.
如果你作为一个丈夫的关注 和你作为朋友时的体谅相等的话…
If your attention as a husband is equal of your consideration as a friend…
我就是作了一个最幸运的决定
I shall have made a most fortunate decision.
但是你不认为,也许艾斯瑞德叔叔, 作为家族的首领…
Do you not think, though, that perhaps Uncle Ethelred, as head of the family…
应该被马上告知吗?
should be told at once?
也许如此 是的,我会写信给他
Perhaps so. Yes, I’ll write to him.
再见,路易
Good-bye, Louis.
再见,艾迪丝
Good-bye, Edith.
你把全伦敦最快乐 的男人留在了身后
You leave behind you the happiest man in London.
这不是一条消息…
[ Louis Narrating ] This was not a piece of news…
我愿意拿来打击茜贝拉
Which I was looking forward to breaking to Sibella.
她与这件事情无关…
She had no rights in the matter…
但是女人们有一种令人不安的能力 能让无意义的事情变得有意义…
But women have a disconcerting ability to make scenes out of nothing…
在她们自己应受责备的时候 证明自己受到了伤害
And to prove themselves injured when they themselves are at fault.
[ Doorbells Jingling ]
不管怎么说,我还有三个月的平静 在我需要面对风暴之前
Anyhow, I had three months’grace before I need face that storm.
你喜欢用香精或者玫瑰吗?
Have you taken to using attar of roses?
– 不,为什么? – 因为我可以闻出来
– No. Why? – Thought I could smell it.
我刚刚在楼梯上 遇到了一个非常美丽的女人
I met such a beautiful woman on the stairs just now.
我想那可能是 德·阿斯科内夫人
I expect that would be Mrs. D’Ascoyne.
– 她来这里做什么? – 她过来拜访我
– What was she doing here? – She called in to see me.
– 什么事情? – 生意,家族生意
– What about? – Business. Family business.
让我给你倒一杯雪利酒
Let me get you a glass of sherry.
一天或者几天后, 我收到了莱昂内的一封信
[ Louis Narrating ] A day or so later, I received a letter from Lionel.
他要求在他的房♥子面见我, 谈一些微妙的事情 一天或者几天后, 我收到了莱昂内的一封信
He requested an interview with me at his house on a matter of some delicacy. [ Louis Narrating ] A day or so later, I received a letter from Lionel.
他要求在他的房♥子面见我, 谈一些微妙的事情
He requested an interview with me at his house on a matter of some delicacy.
我感到有些不安, 因为十有八♥九♥…
I was somewhat perturbed, for nine times out of 10…
那些被说成是微妙的事情…
What is referred to as a matter of some delicacy…
事实上, 会变得极端的粗野
Is, in point of fact, one of extreme indelicacy.
两天后, 我做了一次冗长的旅行去贝沃特
Two days later I made the tedious journey to Bayswater.
住在公园错误的一边 是莱昂内的特点
It was typical of Lionel that he should live on the wrong side of the park.
你好,老朋友,来喝一杯吧
[ Slurred ] Hello, old boy. Have a drink.
不,谢谢 从不在白天喝
No, thank you. Never during the day.
你不介意我喝吧? 驱驱寒
You don’t mind if I do? Keep out the cold.
我正想说今天很暖和呢
I was about to remark on the warmth of the day.
– 只是一个笑话,老朋友 – 啊,是的
– Just a joke, old boy. – Ah, yes.
– 坐下,老朋友 – 不,谢谢,我宁愿站着
– Sit down, old boy. – No, thank you. I would rather stand.
温暖的一天,不是吗? 我是说,对一年里这样的时候来说
A warm day, isn’t it? For the time of the year, I mean.
显然 也是非常忙碌的一天
Distinctly. It’s also a very busy day.
我们可以开始谈 你想见我谈的事情吗?
May we proceed to the matter about which you wished to see me?
好的,一件有些微妙的事情, 实际上,老朋友
Right. A matter of some delicacy, actually, old boy.
但是我对自己说: “路易是一个运动员和一个老练的人
But I said to myself, “Louis’s a sport and a man of the world.
– 总是一个运动员” – 谢谢
– Always been a sport: ” – Thank you.
总是很钦佩那种体育精神, 你用来适应茜贝拉嫁给我而不是你
Always admired the sporting way in which you took to Sibella marrying me and not you.
别人可能会 非常不同
Some fellows would have taken it very differently.
但是,“让最好的人获胜,” 你说
But “May the best man win,” you said.
而当我获胜的时候, 你表现的象一个绅士
And when I won, you behaved like a gentleman.
所以我想既然…
– [ Glass Clinks ] – So I thought as…
你曾经有段时间 喜欢过茜贝拉…
You being keen on Sibella at one time…
而且你和我也是老朋友, 我 – 我想求你帮助我们
And you and I are old friends, I — I’d ask you to help us.
帮助你们?
Help you?
我以前有段时间告诉过你 生意不太好
I told you some time back business hasn’t been going so well.
从那时起,越来越不好 我破产了
Since then, it’s gone worse. I’m bankrupt.
所以我对自己说: “为什么不去跟我的老伙伴路易·马兹尼说说呢…
So I say to myself, “Why not talk to my old pal, Louis Mazzini…
“我们以前曾经有过那么欢乐的时光, 绕着老婴儿室的火光…
“who we used to have such jolly times with round the old nursery fire…
烤栗子”
roasting chestnuts: ”
我恐怕你的记忆欺骗了你
I’m afraid your memory is deceiving you.
想象力再怎么丰富,你和我 也不会被描述为伙伴关系
By no stretch of imagination could you and I be described as ever having been pals.
如果我记得不错的话,从我们相识的 第一天起,我们就深深地厌恶对方…
If I remember correctly, we detested each other cordially from the first day we met…
这种厌恶随着我们 年龄的增长与日俱增
with a detestation which increased with our years.
总是把你看成伙伴 总是那样的
Always thought of you as a pal. Always have done.
所以我对自己说-
That’s why I said to myself–
唯一正当的是警告你, 在这问题上再花任何精力都是一种浪费
It’s only fair to warn you that any further expense of breath on this subject would be a waste.
你知道你在做什么吗?
You know what you’re doing?
– 判决我死刑 – 什么意思?
– Condemning me to death. – What do you mean?
只有一条路留给我了: 弄死我自己
Only one way out for me: Do away with myself.
如果你知道这表演 听起来有多荒唐的话 –
If you knew how absurd these histrionics sounded —
我保险了至少那小女人 可以得到供养
I’m insured. At least the little woman will be provided for.
– 哦,别荒谬了 – 路易,我呼吁你
– Oh, don’t be ridiculous. – Louis, I appeal to you.
不是为我自己, 而是为了那小女人
Not for my sake, but for the sake of the little woman.
请从那荒唐的位置起来
– Please rise from that absurd position. – [ Sniffles ]
我所能说的是 我认-认为你是一个无赖
All I can say is I th-think you’re a cad.
一个自私的无赖
A selfish cad.
让我提醒你一点 不太遥远的历史
Let me remind you of a little not-so-ancient history.
当我是布料店助理而你是一个有钱人的 儿子的时候,你没有对我显示过友好
When I was a draper’s assistant and you a rich father’s son, you showed me no kindness.
现在我们的位置互换了, 你来向我哭诉要求好处
Now our positions are reversed, and you come whining to me for favors.
布料店助理 是的
Draper’s assistant. That’s right.
没用的小伙计 你不过如此
Rotten little counterjumper. That’s all you are.
现在变得非常高和有权了…
Very high and mighty now…
但是你的母亲嫁给了 一个意大利风琴演员
But your mother married an Italian organ-grinder.
– 站起来 – 哼?
– Stand up. – Huh?
我说站起来
I said stand up.
我不会容忍♥听到你粗鄙的 舌头说我母亲的名字
I will not tolerate hearing my mother’s name on your coarse tongue.
如果你听我的建议,你最好 去把你的脑袋放到冷水龙头下冲冲
If you take my advice, you’ll go and put your head under a cold tap.
我拒绝自贬身份 和一个喝醉酒的畸形儿打架
I refuse to demean myself by fighting with a drunken oaf.
看起来没有必要 再继续这粗俗的怒骂…
[ Louis Narrating ] There seemed no point in prolonging this vulgar brawl…
于是我回到了我的公♥寓♥
So I returned to my apartment.
– [ Door Closes ] – [ Groans ]
我洗了一个澡, 决定放松半个钟头…
I took a bath and decided to relax for half an hour…
从我的记忆中抹掉 这令人不快的一幕
And efface this disagreeable scene from my memory.
[ Doorbells Jingling ]
我没能放松多长时间
I was not allowed to relax for long.
茜贝拉
Sibella.
路易,很对不起, 你一定很忙,我还来打扰你…
Louis, I’m sorry to worry you when you must be so busy…
但我有一件非常重要的消息
but I have a piece of important news.
坏消息 我想你应该立刻知道这个
Bad news. I thought you ought to know it at once.
莱昂内发现了我们
Lionel has found out about us.
发现我来这儿
About me coming here.
– 真的? – 是的
– Really? – Yes.
哦
Oh.
我昨天晚上和他发生过 最可怕的一幕
I had the most dreadful scene with him last night.
哦,我认为即使莱昂内 也不会傻到永远被骗
Well, I suppose even Lionel isn’t stupid enough to be deceived forever.
等你听到这个, 你就不会这么平静了
You won’t take it so calmly when you hear.
他要开始 离婚程序
He’s going to start divorce proceedings.
他是多么地不通世故啊
How very unsophisticated of him.
只有一个可能 我能看得清
There’s only one possible way out that I can see.
– 那是什么? – 莱昂内还在爱着我
– And that is? – Lionel is still in love with me.
我的快乐 是他唯一关心的
My happiness is all he cares about.
他可能会做最绅士的事情, 让我提出离婚
He might do the gentlemanly thing and let me divorce him.
条件呢?
If?
如果我能够向他解释…
If I were in a position to explain to him…
否则他就要危害我们的社会地位, 不只是未来的公爵…
that otherwise he will be jeopardizing the social position not only of the future duke…
还有未来的查尔方特公爵夫人
but also the future duchess of Chalfont.
我明白了
I see.
你是一个聪明的小东西,茜贝拉, 但是还不够聪明
You’re a clever little thing, Sibella, but not quite clever enough.
你是什么意思?
What do you mean?
我的意思是说 我所知道的你不但是在勒索我 –
I mean that not only do I know that you’re blackmailing me —
一个很丑陋的词, 但是唯一合适的词 –
an ugly word, but the only appropriate one —