Uncle Ethelred is not the most tactful of men.
我会高兴于打击他
I could gladly have struck him.
谢谢你适时的介入
Thank you for intervening when you did.
这房♥子是那么空…
The house will be so empty…
他还在这里的每一个地方
and yet he will be in it everywhere.
我发现很难面对生活在那里
I find the thought of life there hard to face.
你必须留在那里吗? 一个新环境 –
Must you stay there? A new environment —
我必须…
I must…
如果没有其他原因的话, 至少还有一个
for one reason if no other.
他们会说我在逃避, 所有这些谣言里有一些是真的
They would say I was running away, that there was truth in all these rumors.
– 谣言? – 在村子里
– Rumors? – In the village.
有人说闲话
There’s been gossip.
他们说亨利偷偷喝酒
They say that Henry drank in secret.
他们甚至说 是那造成了意外
They even say that that was the cause of the accident.
我肯定亨利从不会 说一套做一套
I’m sure that Henry would never have professed one thing and practiced another.
我也肯定
I, too, am sure.
否则, 我想我就不能活下来
Otherwise, I think I could not survive.
我们还有很长的路要走 试着睡一小会儿吧
We have a long way to go. Try to sleep a little.
睡着不是那么容易的
[ Sobs ] Sleep does not come easily.
请试试
Please try.
请允许我
Allow me.
我被一种新的想法迷住了…
[ Louis Narrating ] I was conscious that a new obsession…
和现在的混在一起,我戴着 查尔方特公爵的宝冠-
Was about to join the one that I should wear the coronet of the duke of Chalfont- –
而艾迪丝·德·阿斯科内 戴着后冠站在我旁边
that Edith D’Ascoyne should wear that of the duchess beside me.
她忍♥受最悲痛时刻的高贵…
Her dignity ofbearing at the worst moments of her grief…
给我留下了很深印象,使我感觉 她是那样的一个女人…
Had impressed me with the feeling that here was a woman…
气质与美貌交相映衬
Whose quality matched her beauty.
我决心开始向她求爱…
I resolved to embark upon her courtship…
一旦等到必要的哀悼期过去之后
As soon as a decent period of mourning should have elapsed.
茜贝拉?是的,茜贝拉在她 那种土气的方式里足够漂亮了
Sibella? Yes, Sibella was pretty enough in her suburban way.
而且,实际上,没有理由我们不能 继续以朋友的名义交往
And, indeed, there was no reason why we shouldn’t continue to meet on friendly terms.
不过她的脸配上王冠 看起来很不对劲
But her face would have looked rather out of place under a coronet.
先生,那是这周需要付清的帐单
That, sir, is a list of bills due for redemption this week.
我已经把那些要求 续借的标成红的了
I’ve marked in red those asking for renewal.
艾奇森,是的 波尔和卡特,我想可以
Aitcheson, yes. Pole and Carter, I suppose so.
诺利斯有限公♥司♥,哦,不
Knollis Limited, oh, no.
瑞德班和霍兰德 –
Redbank and Holland —
你在那里有一个朋友, 是吗?
You have a friend there, have you not?
一个熟人 我认识莱昂内·霍兰德
An acquaintance. I know Lionel Holland.
你会说他是可靠的吗?
Would you say that he’s sound?
我不能说不,先生
I wouldn’t say not, sir.
唔,谢谢
Hmm. Thank you.
– 马兹尼 – 是,先生?
– Mazzini. – Yes, sir?
我已经关注你在这里的 进展很长时间了…
I’ve watched your progress here with great care…
我很满意地注意到 它完全证明了我的判断…
and have been gratified to note that it has fully justified my judgment…
来邀请你加入这家公♥司♥
in inviting you into the firm.
由于这个观察,并且为了能让你 过一种…
In view of that, and in order that you may be able to adopt a style of living…
适合德·阿斯科内家族成员的生活…
befitting a member of the D’Ascoyne family…
我决定任命你做 我的私人秘书…
I have decided to appoint you my private secretary…
每年的薪水是500镑
at a salary of £500 per annum.
– 先生,我不能开始 – – 哦,请别推三阻四了
– Sir, I cannot begin to — – Oh, please do not try.
我本来有意于让我儿子 来占据这个位子
I had intended that my son should occupy the position.
我只能说我将在这个位子上努力工作…
I can only say that I will try to make my occupancy of it…
以不辜负对他的怀念
worthy of his memory.
我离开了哈沃德的房♥子…
[ Louis Narrating ] I left the Hallwards’ house…
在圣詹姆士街租了一个单身公♥寓♥
And took a bachelor apartment in St. James’s.
克拉凡姆不再以 茜贝拉的出现来补偿我…
Clapham no longer held Sibella’s presence to compensate me…
在郊区与城区之间无聊的旅行
For the tedious journey between the suburbs and the city.
[ Doorbells Jingling ]
总之,她来这里拜访我 比以前方便了很多
Anyhow, it would be vastly more convenient for her to visit me here.
好,让我好好看看 美丽的霍兰德夫人
Now, let me have a look at the beautiful Mrs. Holland.
– 不,我想我更喜欢哈沃德小姐 – 我也是
– No, I think I prefer Miss Hallward. – So do I.
路易,来这里拜访你 对我来说是非常大的错误
Louis, it’s very wrong of me to visit you here.
– 为什么? – 一个有夫之妇拜访一个光棍?
– Why? – A married woman calling on a bachelor?
一个危险的光棍…
A dangerous bachelor…
在他的公♥寓♥里
in his apartment.
我?危险?
I? Dangerous?
这些事情只有当人们 知道它们的时候才是错误的
These things only become wrong when people know about them.
这是一个非常谨慎的公♥寓♥ 那是我选择它的原因
This is a very discreet apartment. That’s why I chose it.
所以年轻妇女们 可以很安全地拜访你?
So that young women could call on you in safety?
所以有一位年轻妇女 可以这样
So that one young woman could.
你怎么知道她愿意去呢?
How did you know she’d want to?
我希望
I hoped.
– 你的蜜月过的好吗? – 一点也不
– How did you enjoy your honeymoon? – Not at all.
一点也不?
Not at all?
一点也不
Not at all.
– 意大利怎么样? – 哦,不可能!
– And how was Italy? – Oh, impossible!
每次我想去逛商店, 莱昂内就拉我去教堂…
Every time I wanted to go shopping, Lionel dragged me off to a church…
或者画廊
or picture gallery.
– 说他想提高他的修养 – 他的确需要提高
– Said he wanted to improve his mind. – He has room to do so.
我应该责备你, 对他说那么刻薄的话…
I should reprove you for saying unkind things about him…
但是我不能
but I can’t.
路易,我想我嫁给了 全伦敦最无聊的人
Louis, I think I’ve married the most boring man in London.
– 全英国 – 全欧洲!
– In England. – In Europe!
哦,意大利男人们 都那么帅…
Oh, the Italian men are so handsome…
但是我连一刻也摆脱不了莱昂内
but I could never get away from Lionel for a moment.
可我忘了 – 你是意大利人
But I was forgetting –you’re Italian.
一半的
Half.
路易…
Louis…
我可以坦白对你说
I can speak frankly to you.
哦,如果不对我说, 还能对谁呢?
Well, if not to me, to whom?
我快要发疯了
I shall go mad.
当他一碰我,我就想要尖叫
Already when he touches me, I want to scream.
我在干什么?
What am I doing?
你知道的很清楚
You know very well.
你在玩火
You’re playing with fire.
至少它温暖了我
At least it warms me.
我必须走了
I must go.
莱昂内今天晚上在家吃晚饭
Lionel’s dining at home tonight.
莱昂内明天晚上在哪儿吃晚饭?
Where is Lionel dining tomorrow night?
和一些生意上的熟人
With some business acquaintances.
那你明天晚上在哪儿吃晚饭?
And where are you dining tomorrow night?
这里?
Here?
这里
Here.
可怜的被关在笼中的小鸟
[ Louis Narrating ] Poor little imprisoned bird.
哦,我欢迎她来和我一起 鼓动她的双翅
Well, she was welcome to come and flutter her wings with me.
我可以想到许多种 消磨时间的讨厌的方法…
I could think of many more disagreeable ways ofkilling time…
等待那一时刻的到来…
Pending the arrival of the moment…
当谈话时机适宜的时候…
When the conventional decencies would permit me…
我会向艾迪丝表白
To make my declaration to Edith.
至于另一件事情, 我还没有忘记或者原谅…
As to the other undertaking, I had not forgotten or forgiven…
就是在小亨利葬礼 上的无聊的说教…
The boredom of the sermon at young Henry’s funeral…
我决定把亨利·德·阿斯科内爵士牧师…
And I decided to promote the Reverend Lord Henry D’Ascoyne…
提升到名单里的下一个
To next place on the list.
我于是把服装和角色装扮成…
I therefore assumed the garb and character…
一个来度假的殖民地的主教…
Of a colonial bishop spending his vacation…
从乡村教堂收集黄铜拓片
Making a collection of brass rubbings from country churches.
晚上好,大人
Good evening, my lord.
有一瞬间, 我被对我的神职称呼吓了一跳…
[ Louis Narrating ] It was, for a moment, a shock to be addressed by my ecclesiastical title…
但我很快恢复过来了
But I recovered quickly.
晚上好,我正在对这有趣的黄铜做拓片
Good evening. I was just taking a rubbing of this most interesting brass.
我已故爱妻的祖先
An ancestress of my dear late wife.
请允许我介绍我自己
Allow me to introduce myself.
亨利·德·阿斯科内, 本教区的教长
Henry D’Ascoyne, rector of this parish.
塞普提马斯·威尔金森, 马塔贝莱兰主教
Septimus Wilkinson, bishop of Matabeleland.
我正在用我的假期做一次巡回旅行, 参观一下你美丽的乡村教堂
I was spending my vacation taking a cycling tour around your beautiful country churches.
– 啊!你注意到我们的天窗了吗? – 天 –
– Ah! Have you noticed our clerestory? – Cle —
啊,非常精致!
Ah, exquisite!
– 房♥梁也非常漂亮 – 嗯
– The corbels are very fine. – Hmm.
也许大人会允许我 给你展示一两件东西…
Perhaps Your Lordship would permit me to show you one or two other things…
我们引以为傲的东西
in which we take a pride.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!