Help:!
救命!救命!
Help! Help!
于是艾斯瑞德…
– [ Bell Tolls ] – [ Louis Narrating ] And so Ethelred…
查尔方特公爵八世, 适时地进入了家族墓地里他的地方
Eighth duke of Chalfont, duly came to his place in the family vault.
[ Bell Tolls ]
只剩下极少数的德·阿斯科内家 的人来哀悼他…
There were few D’Ascoynes left to mourn him…
我的雇主,只当了极短时间的 查尔方特公爵九世…
My employer, who was ninth duke of Chalfont for the shortest possible period…
在他得知自己获得了头衔 不久就兴奋过度死了
Having expired of shock on hearing that he had succeeded to the title.
[ Bell Tolls ]
于是… 我成了 查尔方特公爵十世
And so… I became the 10th duke of Chalfont.
[ Bell Tolls ]
幸运的是,第九世公爵 在他断气前有时间…
Fortunately, the ninth duke had found time before he expired…
写遗嘱把他在商业上 的利息遗赠给我
To make a will bequeathing to me his interests in the business.
[ Bells Chiming ]
你可以去掉那个
You may remove that.
一两天后, 举♥行♥了一场令人感动的小仪式…
A day or two later, an affecting little feudal ceremony took place…
欢迎我进驻城♥堡♥
To welcome me into residence at the castle.
我向你们保证, 我的第一个想法…
And I promise you that my first consideration…
以及德·阿斯科内夫人, 她非常赏脸地答应做我的新娘…
and that of Mrs. D’Ascoyne, who has done me the honor to consent to be my bride…
就是不动产以及 住在这里的居民的福利
will be the welfare of the estate and of the people who live on it.
上帝保佑你们
– God bless you all. – [ Cheering ]
[ Cheering Continues ]
万岁,阁下!
[ Man ] Long live His Grace:!
万岁,阁下
[ Woman ] Long live His Grace.
派尼蒙,阁下, 从斯普洛克特农场来的
Pennyman, Your Grace, from Sprockett’s Farm.
派尼蒙夫人
Mrs. Pennyman.
我儿子,汤姆, 从斯普洛克特农场来的
My son, Tom, from Sprockett’s Farm.
威沃德先生, 从斯普洛克特农场来的
Mr. Wyvold, from Sprockett’s Farm.
斯普洛克特农场?
Sprockett’s Farm?
不,阁下 从苏格兰场〔伦敦警♥察♥厅〕来的
No, Your Grace. From Scotland Yard.
苏格兰场?
Scotland Yard?
一件有些微妙的事情
A matter of some delicacy.
[ Indistinct ]
请跟我来
Follow me, please.
这打击太突然了, 我发现很难把我的思想集中
[ Louis Narrating ] The blow was so sudden that I found it hard to collect my thoughts.
会是他们中的哪一个呢?
Which of them could it be?
小阿斯科内? 亨利?艾斯瑞德?
Young Ascoyne? Henry? Ethelred?
牧师? 将军?
The parson? The general?
阿加莎女士? 或者是他们所有人?
Lady Agatha? Or could it be all of them?
– 好 – 你是,我认为,查尔方特公爵阁下?
– Now. – You are, I take it, His Grace, the duke of Chalfont?
– 我是 – 我是勃格内侦查探员…
– I am. – I am Detective Inspector Burgoyne…
来自犯罪调查部
of the Criminal Investigation Department.
我有一张起诉你 谋杀罪的逮捕令
And I hold a warrant for your arrest on a charge of murder.
谋杀?
Murder?
谋杀莱昂内·霍兰德先生-
Of murdering Mr. Lionel Holland at- –
– 谋杀谁? – 莱昂内·霍兰德先生…
– Murdering whom? – Mr. Lionel Holland…
在科诺特广场242号♥, 贝沃特…
At number 242 Connaught Square, Bayswater…
于十月十七日
on the 17th of October last.
[ Cheering ]
我完全迷惑了, 我试着了解是什么一系列的事件…
[ Louis Narrating ] Utterly bewildered, I tried to fathom what series of events…
会令人信服地导致 这并不好玩的讽刺
Could conceivably have led to this not-very-amusing irony.
我只能猜测是莱昂内 真地实行了…
I could only suppose that Lionel had actually carried out…
那个威胁要自杀的醉话
That drunken threat of suicide.
但那怎么能怪到我头上呢?
But how then had the blame fallen on me?
独处的时间和审判 也许会揭开谜底
Time alone- -and the trial- – would reveal the answer.
看到没有原因 执行我爵位的其他特权…
Seeing no reason to forego any of the available privileges of my rank…
我申请在上议院接受审判
I exercised my right to be tried before the House of Lords.
路易·德·阿斯科内·马兹尼,查尔方特公爵…
[ Man ] Louis D’Ascoyne Mazzini, duke of Chalfont…
你,作为英格兰的贵族, 被指控犯谋杀罪
you, as a peer of England, are indicted for murder.
你怎么说,阁下?
How say you, Your Grace?
你对于你被控的重罪 是有罪还是无罪?
Are you guilty of the felony with which you are charged or not guilty?
– 无罪 – 你将怎样被审判?
– Not guilty. – How will you be tried?
– 被上帝和贵族们 – 上帝送给阁下一个好的判决
– By God and my peers. – God send Your Grace a good deliverance.
那就是真话,完全是真话, 只有真话…
It shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth…
上帝保佑
so help me God.
霍兰德夫人,你能不能用 你自己的话告诉法官大人们…
Mrs. Holland, will you tell Their Lordships in your own words…
你和你丈夫谈话的内容…
The substance of the conversation you had with your husband…
在他死之前那个晚上?
the evening before his death?
他告诉我路易 – 被告-
He told me that Louis — the prisoner–
第二天要来看他, 讨论一件非常微妙的事情
was coming to see him the next day on a rather delicate matter.
他有没有指出那是什么事情?
Did he indicate what that matter was?
他已经发现 被告和我有 –
He had discovered that the prisoner and I had been —
有不正当关系?
Had been on terms of intimacy?
– 是的 – 那么他的态度是什么?
– Yes. – And what was his attitude?
他感觉正确的事情是…
– [ Crowd Murmuring ] – He felt that the correct thing to do…
当面告诉他 他要开始离婚程序
was to tell him to his face that he intended to start proceedings for divorce.
从你对被告的了解…
[ Man ] From your knowledge of the prisoner…
你认为他在得知 那消息后会怎么样?
How would you expect him to receive that news?
我想他会非常愤怒
I should expect him to be very angry.
他现在是公爵爵位的继承人, 我对他来说没用了
Now he was heir to a dukedom, he had no more use for me.
我明白了他试图抛弃你
I see. He was trying to discard you.
– 是的 – 霍兰德夫人…
– Yes. – Mrs. Holland…
我很抱歉让你经受如此的折磨…
I apologize for submitting you to this ordeal…
但是你能不能告诉法官大人们 你是如何发现你丈夫的尸体的?
but will you tell Their Lordships how you found your husband’s body?
我回到家大约是4:30
I came back about half past 4:00.
– [ Whimpers ] – [ Crowd Murmuring ]
法官大人们不反对 证人坐下
[ Man #2 ] Their Lordships have no objection to the witness being seated.
是的,霍兰德夫人?
Yes, Mrs. Holland?
我大约四点半回来的
I came back about half past 4:00.
我进到我丈夫的书房♥
I went into my husband’s study.
他躺在地板上…
He was lying on the floor…
胸上插着一把匕♥首♥
with a dagger stuck in his chest.
最后一个问题, 霍兰德夫人
One last question, Mrs. Holland.
你丈夫曾经,在任何时候, 威胁说要自杀吗?
Had your husband ever, at any time, threatened suicide?
– 从来没有 – 谢谢你,霍兰德夫人
– Never. – Thank you, Mrs. Holland.
我的客户恳请大人们允许…
My client craves Their Lordships’ permission…
由他本人和证人交叉讯问
to cross-examine the witness himself.
大人们同意请求
Their Lordships grant their permission.
霍兰德夫人,你明白 发誓的意义吗?
Mrs. Holland, you understand the meaning of being on oath?
当然
Of course.
你意识到一条生命 取决于你的证据的真实性吗?
You realize that a life may depend upon the truthfulness of your evidence?
是的
Yes.
我认为你所说的关于 你和你丈夫的对话的故事…
I put it to you that your story of your conversation with your husband…
在他死前那个晚上, 是一个完全的虚构
on the night before his death is a complete fabrication.
不是
It is not.
我认为 你丈夫是蓄意自杀
I put it to you that your husband committed suicide.
他决不会那样做, 而不留一点口信给我
He would never have done that without leaving a message for me.
你能发誓说他没有吗?
Can you swear that he did not?
警♥察♥完全彻底地搜查了屋子
The police searched the room very thoroughly.
他们没有发现任何东西
They didn’t find anything.
我认为你的证据全是谎言, 出于报复的动机
I suggest that your evidence is a tissue of lies dictated by motives of revenge.
不是的
[ Sobbing ] It is not.
不是的
It is not.
我假定犯人在这些 屈服之中有某种意图…
I presume that the prisoner has some purpose in these submissions…
不同于证人的悲伤
other than that of distressing the witness.
我的意图,大人, 就是确定真♥相♥
My purpose, my lord, is to determine the truth.
那个,阁下, 正是这法庭的所有目的
That, Your Grace, is the whole purpose of this assembly.
…全是真话,只有真话, 上帝保佑
…the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me God.
– 你是艾迪丝·德·阿斯科内·马兹尼,查尔方特公爵夫人? – 我是
– You’re Edith D’Ascoyne Mazzini, duchess of Chalfont? – I am.
你是什么时间什么地点 成为被告妻子的?
When and where did you become the wife of the accused?
昨天早晨,在彭顿威拉监狱
– Yesterday morning, in Pentonville Prison. – [ Crowd Murmuring ]
我想在全世界面前 展示我不可撤回的…
I wanted to publish irrevocably before the whole world…
对他的无辜的信任
my faith in his innocence.
我想通过我的婚姻显示…
I wanted to show by my marriage…
虽然他被带入歧途, 但我相信…
that though he was led astray, as I believe…
通过他先天的亲切与礼貌…
by that innate kindliness and courtesy of his…
使他很难拒绝一个女人的要求…
which made it so hard for him to rebuff the advances of a woman…
可是我还是把他 看成一个男人…
I nevertheless regard him as a man…
我可以幸福地把后半生委托给他
To whom I can happily entrust the remainder of my life.
在关于他的这些观点中, 我并不孤立
I am not alone in these opinions of him.
我已故的丈夫,亨利, 还有他已故的叔叔艾斯瑞德,第八世公爵 –
My late husband, Henry, and his late Uncle Ethelred, the eighth duke —
很不幸都不能在今天出庭作证
both unfortunately unable to testify today.
这些以及其他德·阿斯科内家族的成员, 如果他们都还活着…
These and other members of the D’Ascoyne family, had they been alive…
我知道,他们会响应 我说的每一句话
Would, I know, have echoed every word that I have said.
谢谢,阁下