Helping a black man convicted of killing a white girl
无疑是搞政♥治♥自杀
is political suicide in that county.
我相信提携他的人
I’m sure he’s being reminded of that
会提醒他这一点的
by whoever got him his job.
从他说话的样子来看
The way he was talking,
我觉得他都没看过证词
I don’t even think he read the record.
这并不奇怪
That doesn’t surprise me.
嘿 克里斯 鲍比 进来拿点心
Hey, Kris, Bobby, come on in and get your snack.

Okay.
在去见他的家人的路上
I’m gonna stop by Jackson Cleaners
我要去一趟杰克逊洗衣店
on my way to meet his family.
好吧 如果早上还没你的消息
Okay. If I don’t hear from you by morning,
我会派一个救援队去救你
I’ll send a rescue party.
-但愿不会这样 -我也是
– I hope that’s a joke. – Me, too.
小心点 好吗
But just be careful, okay?
抱歉
关门
就是他
That’s him.
-你是那个律师吗 -是的 夫人
– You the lawyer? – Yes, ma’am.
我叫布赖恩 史蒂文森
My name is Bryan Stevenson.
我是 约翰尼·D.的妻子 米妮
I’m Johnny D.’s wife, Minnie.
很高兴见到你
Pleasure to meet you.
非常感谢你不辞辛苦开车过来
Thank you so much for driving all the way out here.
大多数律师几乎连电♥话♥都懒得打
Most lawyers barely make time to call.
这是我们的小儿子 约翰
This is our younger son, John.
我们的女儿 杰基
Our baby girl, Jackie.
希望你不要介意 有几个邻居
I hope you don’t mind, a few of our neighbors
过来听听你要说什么
stopped by to hear what you got to say.
就几个吗
Oh. Just a few?
来吧 没事的
Come on. You’ll be all right.
好吧
Okay.
嘿 听着 如果大家都在同时呱呱叫
Hey, now, we ain’t gonna get nowhere
我们啥也谈不了
with everybody quacking at the same time.
现在 让史蒂文森先生谈谈
Now, let Mr. Stevenson talk.
很高兴见到大家
It’s a pleasure to meet all of you.
谢谢您
Thank you.
我知道你们都有很多问题
Now, I know you all have a lot of questions,
但我真的很想先听你们说
but I really would love to hear from you guys first,
只是为了更好地理解
just to get a better understanding
你们对这件事的看法
of your perspective on things.
我们的看法不重要
Our perspective is ain’t no way
已经认定约翰尼·D.是凶手
Johnny D. Did this crime.
那女孩被杀的那天早上
The morning that girl was killed,
我们都在炸鱼为教堂筹款
we was all having a fish fry here to raise money for the church.
约翰尼·D. 也在
Johnny D. Was here.
从早到晚
Morning till night.
和约翰一起修理他的卡车
Working on his truck with John.
那天你和你♥爸♥爸在一起吗
You were with your dad that day?
是的 我们早上6点就起床了
Yeah, we was up at 6:00 in the morning
把卡车放到支架上
to put the truck on the rack.
吉米也在
Jimmy was there, too.
对 我们在9:30前把变速器修好
Yep. We had that tranny cleaned out by 9:30.
所以 他的卡车没有变速器
Now, how he supposed to kidnap
他如何能绑♥架♥
some crazy white man all the way in Evergreen,
长青区的白人
then drive back to Jackson Cleaners
然后开车回杰克逊洗衣店
to kill that girl at 10:15
在10:15杀了那个女孩呢
if his truck ain’t got no transmission?
好嘛
Hello.
那天早上你们有多少人和沃尔特在一起
How many of you all were with Walter that morning?
我丈夫不会杀人 不可能
My husband could have never done this, no kind of way.
不管我们是否和他在一起
Whether we was with him or not,
他根本不是杀人犯
he is just not like that.
大家都知道他们追杀他是因为那女人
Well, everybody know they went after him ’cause of that woman.
抱歉 米妮
Sorry, Minnie.
没事
It’s okay.
也不是什么秘密了
It ain’t no secret.
谋杀案发生几个月前
A few months before the murder,
约翰尼·D在镇上和一个白女人鬼混时被抓包了
Johnny D got caught messing around with a white woman in town.
她丈夫发现之后
When her husband find out about it,
把这事告诉了所有人
he made sure everybody knew.
人们议论纷纷 流言四起
People started talking, and the stories kept growing.
他从劈腿男
He went from being a cheat,
变成了毒贩
to a drug dealer,
又变成了迪克西黑♥手♥党♥的头目
to head of the Dixie Mafia.
所以有人说他是杀人犯的时候
So, by the time somebody call him a murderer,
也没人会怀疑了
ain’t nobody thought twice about it.
他们爱说什么都行
They can call it what they want,
这只是另一种对黑人动私刑的手段
this is just another way to lynch a black man.
阿门
Amen.
我丈夫对我和这个家庭的所作所为
There ain’t no excuse for what my
可找不了什么借口
husband did to me and this family.
那个死鬼伤透了我
Damn fool hurt me bad.
但他还是我孩子的父亲
But he still the daddy of my kids.
我真的不知道该怎么和他们说
And I really don’t know what I’m supposed to tell them
别招惹麻烦
about staying out of trouble
就算你待在自己家里
when you can be in your own house,
只管自己的事 和所有家人在一起
minding your own business, surrounded by your entire family,
但他们还是会诬陷你杀了人
and they still going to put some murder on you.
没错
That’s right.
不只是爸爸
It’s not just Dad.
我们觉得他们把我们也一起判了死刑
We feel like they put us all on death row, too.
宝贝
Baby…
可以想见你所经历的痛苦
I can only imagine the pain that you’re going through.
我会尽我所能
But I’m gonna do everything I can.
上个律师和你一样口若悬河
The last lawyer was talking just as big as you.
约翰
John…
然后他们就卷钱跑路了
Then they took all our money and split.
你有什么不同
Why you different?
我们的组织会支付所有法律费用
Well, our organization will cover all legal fees,
所以你们一分钱都不用付
so none of you will ever have to pay a penny.
我现在很清楚 这个案子是由谎言组成的
Now, it’s clear to me that this trial was constructed with lies,
基于目前我所了解的
and based off everything that I’ve seen,
我觉得我们可以翻案
I think we could build a case
足以把约翰尼·D.接回家
strong enough to bring Johnny D. home.
不把他接回来 我绝不停歇
And I’m not gonna stop until I’ve done that.
在我看来你是个好人
Well, you seem like good people to me.
但你得说服的是约翰尼·D
But Johnny D.’s the one you gonna have to convince.
我不知道你们其他人怎么想
I don’t know about the rest of y’all,
但他说”你们不用出一分钱”已经说服我了
but I was sold on, “Y’all won’t pay a penny.”
阿门
Amen.
史蒂文森先生
Mr. Stevenson?
叫我布赖恩就好
Call me Bryan.
好的
Okay.
这位是我朋友达内尔
This is my friend, Darnell.
他有些事想和你说
He has something he wants to talk to you about.
说吧
Go on.
我觉得我能证明他是无辜的
I think I can prove he’s innocent.
你知道比尔 胡克斯吧
You heard of Bill Hooks, right?
知道
Yeah.
他作证说那天早上他在洗衣店
He testified that he saw Johnny D.’s truck
看到过约翰尼·D的卡车
at the cleaners that morning.
比尔鬼都没看到
Bill didn’t see shit.
都是他编的
He made the whole thing up.
你怎么知道
How do you know that?
因为我和他在一起
‘Cause I was with him.
我们一起在店里工作
We was working at the shop together.
-凶案当天早上吗 -是的 先生
– The morning of the murder? – Yes, sir.
我们从早上八点到午休关店前
We was fixing the head gasket on the Camaro
一直在修科迈罗的汽缸垫
from 8:00 in the morning till right after we closed for lunch.
警报响的时候他就在我旁边
He was right next to me when them sirens was going off.
他为什么要撒谎
Why would he lie?
因为这告密者和警♥察♥达成协议了

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!