什么
What?
我说那是七年前的事了
I said it happened seven years ago.
是啊 这样好多了
Yeah, that made it better.
你们俩本该站在我这边的
You two were supposed to be on my side.
爸爸 车况怎么样
Pop, how are we looking up there?
刚加了三升油
Just added three quarts of oil.
但你到了那里应该再检查一遍
But you should check it again when you get there.
好的 谢谢
All right, thanks.
跟你妈妈谈过了吗
Talk to your mom yet?
那些叶子惹到你了吗
What did those leaves do to you?
你不跟你儿子说再见吗
You’re not gonna say bye to your son?
我知道你现在拿到了法律学位
I know you got your law degree now,
你觉得自己长大了
and you think you’re grown,
但你还是我的孩子
but you’re still my child.
如果你在那里被杀了
And I’m the one who has to deal
我是那个不得不
with your funeral arrangements
为你安排葬礼的人
if you get killed down there.
别这么说 妈
Come on, Ma.
你觉得这很有趣吗
Oh, you think this is funny?
因为如果你意识不到
‘Cause if you can’t see
你所做的事有多危险
the danger in what you’re doing,
你得找哈佛要回你的钱
you need to ask Harvard for your money back.
你上学前可比现在聪明多了
You used to be smarter than that.
我第一次去死囚区的时候
The first time I visited death row,
我没想到遇到了和我一样大的人
I wasn’t expecting to meet somebody the same age as me.
在同样的音乐中长大
Grew up on the same music.
就从像我们这样的街区来的
From a neighborhood just like ours.
也可能会落到我头上 妈
Could’ve been me, Mama.
我不想离你太远 我爱你
I don’t wanna move far away from you. I love you.
但你总是教我为人♥民♥而战
But you always taught me to fight for the people
帮助最需要帮助的人
who need the help the most.
我为你感到骄傲 孩子
I am very proud of you, son.
我知道你的心是充满正义的
I know your heart’s in the right place.
但没那么简单
But it’s not that simple.
你这样做会让很多人不安
What you’re doing is gonna make a lot of people upset.
你最好小心点
You better be careful.
我会的
I will.
我保证
I promise.
她笑了
There she goes.
你开玩笑吧
You gotta be kidding me.
我们有个协议 这个地方租期两年
We had an agreement to rent this space for two years.
你说已经约定好了
You said it was a done deal.
那时我不知道你要在这里做什么
That’s before I knew what you were doing here.
我们为穷♥人♥
We are giving poor people
提供宪法保障的诉讼权利 比尔
their constitutional right to counsel, Bill.
你能跟我儿子解释一下
Do you mind explaining to my son
你觉得这有什么不对吗
what you think is so wrong with that?
伊娃 怎么了
Eva, what’s up?
布赖恩 谢天谢地
Oh, Bryan. Thank God.
这是我们组织的执行董事
This is the executive director of our organization.
他刚到这里 正准备
He just got here and was expecting
搬进你答应我们的办公室
to move into the office that you promised us.
你说你是负责人
You said you were the director.
运营负责人
Director of Operations.
你让我在我老板面前
And you’re making me look very bad
看起来很糟糕
in front of my boss right now.
她说你是律师
She said you were a lawyer,
但没人告诉我是死刑犯的律师
but nobody told me it was for murderers on death row.
我们为需要帮助的人提供法律服务
We’re providing legal services to people who need help.
他们得去别的地方帮助
And they’ll have to do it someplace else.
我这里不能有这样的人
‘Cause I can’t have people like that around here.
不是每个人都该在那里的 先生
Not everyone is in there for a good reason, sir.
祝你们度过快乐的一天
Y’all have a good day now.
真是人♥渣♥
What a piece of shit.
我很抱歉
I’m so sorry.
我可不想这么欢迎你
This is not how I wanted to welcome you here.
我会给我们找个办公室 我保证会的
I will find us an office, I promise you I will.
只不过我得改变策略了
I just gotta change my tactics.
没事的 在哪里我们都可以工作
It’ll be fine. We can work from anywhere.
是啊 我们只要让克里斯
Yeah, we’ll just have Kris
把客厅里他的玩具清理干净就行
clean up his toys in the living room.
-对不 克里斯 -是吗
– Right, Kris? – Oh, yeah?
我考虑考虑
I’ll think about it.
宝贝 抱歉我说脏话了
I’m sorry for cussing, baby.
没事儿
It’s okay.
但他就是个垃圾
He was a piece of shit, though.
我修的心理学
I was a psychology major
论文写的是关于死刑问题 而那时
writing a paper on capital punishment
我认识了第一位死囚犯 韦恩·里特
when I met my first death row inmate, Wayne Ritter.
他和他的朋友抢劫了莫比尔的一家当铺
He and his friend robbed a pawn shop in Mobile.
他的朋友开枪打死了店主结果两人都死了
His friend shot the owner and they both got death.
你是因为他才来干这个的吗
Is he the reason why you got into this?
他的律师公开地支持死刑
His attorney was openly in favor of the death penalty.
他觉得疯狗就应该死
He thought mad dogs ought to die.
很多死囚犯
A lot of the folks on death row
要么就是有着卑鄙的辩护律师
either had shitty representation,
要么连个为他辩护的人都找不到
or none at all.
所以我开始给电♥话♥黄页上每一个
So, I just started calling every law firm
律所打电♥话♥
in the Yellow Pages,
想找一个能帮忙的人
just trying to find anybody that could help.
我平均每天被拒绝20次
I was averaging 20 rejections a day.
她那会儿倍感压力
She was pretty stressed out.
我都打算放弃了
I was just about to give up
可突然接到了一个哈佛毕业的律师的电♥话♥
when I got a call from a Harvard lawyer saying that
他刚刚通过阿♥拉♥巴马州的司法考试
he had just passed the Alabama Bar
而且拿到了联邦资助准备开一个法律中心
and had federal funding to start a legal center
为死囚犯服务
for inmates on death row.
在你聘用我之前我就已经投身这个工作了
I was in before you even offered me the job.
那时候你也不知道我不能给你付工资
And before you knew I couldn’t pay you anything.
真的吗
What’s that?
对 道格还不知道这件事
Oh, yeah, Doug doesn’t know about that part yet.
亲爱的 抱歉了
Sorry, honey.
怎么了儿子 你看上去很累
How’s it going, son? You seem tired.
好了 我们去刷牙吧
Okay. Let’s go brush your teeth.
我先带他去刷牙
Excuse us.
我等下给你把沙发收拾好 布赖恩
I’ll make up the couch for you, Bryan.
我为你的所作所为感到振奋
I’m excited about what you’re doing.
我也这么觉得
Me, too.
我应该被登记了
I should be in the log.
我今天预约了六位当事人
I’m scheduled to see six clients today.
之前没见过你
Well, I ain’t seen you before.
那是因为我才搬来
That’s because I just moved here.
你真是个律师吗
You really a lawyer?
我是
Yes. I am.
那我要对你进行搜身
Well, I’m gonna have to search you.
去那个房♥间里 把所有的衣服都脱掉
Just go on in that room there and take everything off.
律师在合法♥会♥见时不需要脱衣搜查
Attorneys aren’t strip searched for legal visits.
你要是不进去脱衣服
Well, you ain’t gonna visit shit
你就见不到那群垃圾
unless you get in that room and strip.
走吧
Let’s go.
裤子 还有内♥裤♥
Pants and underwear.
弯腰 伸手
Bend over and spread.
可以了
You’re clear.
我参加过越南战争
I fought in Nam.
是第一骑兵师的
First Cavalry Division.
亲眼目睹了战友死在战场
Saw a lot of friends die.
医生说我有创伤后应激障碍
Doctor said I got PTSD.
我♥干♥了一些他们口中所说的事情
I did what they said I did.
我把炸♥弹♥放在她的门廊上
I put the bomb on her porch.
我知道这有些说不通
I know it don’t make sense,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!