If we’re just gonna accept the system
认为有罪的富人 值得比清白的穷♥人♥
that treats you better if you’re rich and guilty than
更好的生活
if you’re poor and innocent,
那么 作为法♥院♥ 我们就不能代表正义了
then we can’t claim to be just.
如果我们对外宣张说 我们会一视同仁
If we say we’re committed to equal justice under law
不论贫富 种族 背景
to protecting the rights of every citizen,
来维护每一位居民的权利的话
regardless of wealth, race, or status,
那我们也是时候结束
then we have to end this nightmare
沃尔特·麦克米利安和他家人的这场噩梦了
for Walter McMillian and his family.
我们已经证实 所有针对他的指控和证词
The charges against him have been proven
皆为证人在被威胁的情况下
to be a false construction of desperate people
虚构而出
fueled by bigotry and bias,
为了省去麻烦 他们选择了让真♥相♥被埋没
who ignored the truth in exchange for easy solutions,
但那不是法律的宗旨
and that’s not the law.
更别提正义了
That’s not justice.
这样是不对的
That’s not right.
法官大人
I ask that this case
我在此请求您驳回本案
be dismissed immediately, Your Honor.
谢谢您
Thank you.
查普曼先生 请问州法♥院♥对本动议
Mr. Chapman, what is the State’s position
作何看法
on this motion?
法官大人 可否让我到法官席前去
Your Honor, may I approach the bench?
可以
Yes.
法官大人
Your Honor,
我有麻烦了
I’m troubled.
-你有麻烦了 -是的
– You’re troubled? – Troubled.
我知道这个社区的居民们
‘Cause I know that the people in this community
都想在晚上睡个安稳觉
want to go to sleep at night
要是有人犯了重罪
knowing that if someone has committed a terrible crime,
那他当然必须被擒拿归案
then that someone is gonna be punished.
但是
But,
在本次案例里
in this case…
法官大人 我又
Your Honor, I have,
重新核对了一遍证据信息
taken another look at the evidence…
然后
and,
请说 查普曼先生
Mr. Chapman, please?
州法♥院♥不反对该次动议 法官大人
And the State does not object to the motion, Your Honor.
什么
What?
查普曼先生 为了避免误会
To be clear, Mr. Chapman,
您确定您要驳回本案中的所有控诉吗
are you joining the motion to dismiss all charges today?
是的 法官大人 没错
Yes, Your Honor, I am.
肃静
Order.
请保持肃静
Please. Order.
既然如此
Well…
你们这倒是给我省了很多流程
y’all have made my job easy today.
在本次人♥民♥大战麦克米利安的案例中
In the case of The People vs. McMillian,
本院在此宣布 被告的动议已通过
the court hereby grants the defendant’s motion.
麦克米利安先生 您身上所有的指控现已解除
All charges against you are dismissed, Mr. McMillian.
那是什么意思
What does that mean?
意思是你现在自♥由♥了
That means you’re free.
-我自♥由♥了 -对 你自♥由♥了 可以回家了
– I’m free? – That means you’re free and you get to go home.
你家人过来了
Your family’s coming.
家 我回来了啊
I have my family back.
兄弟 我们与你同在
We’re all with you, brother.
约翰尼·D.
Yo, Johnny D.!
我从走出了法学院
I came out of law school
带着改变世界的宏大梦想
with grand ideas in my mind
走入了这片红尘
about how to change the world.
但麦克米利安先生让我明白了
But Mr. McMillian made me realize
光是只有脑子里的一个念头
we can’t change the world
是不足以改变这个世界的
with only ideas in our minds.
我们必须心存着一股信念
We need conviction in our hearts.
欢迎回家
约翰尼·D
这个男人教会了我 要心存希望
This man taught me how to stay hopeful.
因为我现在知道了 正义最大的敌人
Because I now know that hopelessness
是绝望
is the enemy of justice.
希望 能成为我们前进下去的动力
Hope allows us to push forward,
哪怕有权势的人想扭曲真♥相♥
even when the truth is distorted
我们也绝不会停下脚步
by the people in power.
他们若是想让我们坐回去
It allows us to stand up
希望 就是我们奋起的理由
when they tell us to sit down.
就算叫我们”闭嘴”
And to speak
希望也会给予我们发声的力量
when they say, “Be quiet.”
这次的案子让了我明白了一些道理
Through this work, I’ve learned that
你做了一件坏事
each of us is more than
不代表你一生都是恶人
the worst thing that we’ve ever done.
1993年 4月1日
美国参议院就死刑展开听证会
与贫穷相对的不是富贵
That the opposite of poverty isn’t wealth.
与贫穷相对的 是正义
The opposite of poverty is justice.
我们国家的形象
That the character of our nation isn’t reflected
不在于我们如何对待有权势的富人
in how we treat the rich and the privileged,
而是体现在如何对待那些穷♥人♥
but how we treat the poor,
被漠视的人 被唾弃的人
the disfavored and condemned.
我们从这位清清白白的人手里夺走了太多
Our system has taken more away from this innocent man
多到我们甚至无力偿还
than it has the power to give back.
但我相信 如果我们能以他作为一次教训
But I believe if each of us can follow his lead,
我们就能让这个世界变得更好
we can change this world for the better.
如果我们仔细地反省一下自己
If we can look at ourselves closely,
面对真实的自我
and honestly,
我相信 我们都会看到
I believe we will see
自己的灵魂 还缺少了那么点儿正义
that we all need justice.
我们都需要心怀慈悲
We all need mercy.
也许
And perhaps,
我们每个人都会需要或多或少的宽恕
we all need some measure of unmerited grace.
谢谢
Thank you.
我真的教了你那么多东西吗
I taught you all that?
至少有一部分吧
Yeah, you taught me some of that.
那我还挺厉害啊
I’m pretty good, ain’t I?
干得漂亮
Great job.
布莱恩·史蒂文森一直在帮助那些贫困的定罪囚犯发声
时间长达30年有余
获得轻刑 或上诉成功 甚至得到释放
他和他的代理律师在EJI成功地帮助了140多名死囚犯
调整设计出了一套针对死刑犯的法律服务
伊娃 Ansley继续管理着EJI 并在1989年
在1983年后的阿♥拉♥巴马州
赫布特 理查德森是65名多被执行了死刑的囚犯之一
其中 大部分人根本没有获得足够的法律援助
自那以后 布赖恩和沃尔特·麦克米利安成为了很好的朋友
直到后者在2013年因早发性突发痴抢救无效而去世
他在监狱里度过的那段时日则成了他死前一直挥之不去的阴影
1♥8♥9♥6年 安东尼 “雷” 欣顿因为一份错误的弹道分♥析♥报告
被判双重杀人罪
而起诉人却说 光是看他的面相就知道凶手一定是他了
布赖恩最终把雷的案子上诉到了美国最高法♥院♥并胜诉
平白无故地坐了整整30年牢 终于 在2015年
欣顿先生被释放了

Hi!
天呐 谢天谢地啊
Oh, Lord, thank you, Jesus.
主啊 谢谢您
Thank you, Lord.
上帝啊 感谢您
Oh, thank you, Jesus.
在美国 监狱里每九人就有一名被错判的受害者
多么触目惊心的比率

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!