but for what he’s saying now.
接下来 我们将把证据提交至
Next, we’ll be presenting our evidence
阿♥拉♥巴马州最高法♥院♥
to the Alabama Supreme Court,
希望他们能看到我们认为十分明白的事实
hoping they’ll see what we think is very clear…
沃尔特·麦克米利安是无辜的
that Walter McMillian is innocent.
麦克米利安的命运现在掌握在
McMillian’s fate is now in the hands
阿♥拉♥巴马州最高法♥院♥的手中
of the Alabama Supreme Court,
最高法预计很快就会决定
which is expected to decide soon
他是否有权接受新的审判
if he’s entitled to a new trial.
三个月后
EJI 这里是布兰达.
EJI, this is Brenda.
好的 我会告诉他的 谢谢
Okay. I’ll let him know. Thank you.
最高法对麦克米利安案的裁决
The supreme court ruling in the McMillian case
等着被接受了
is ready to be picked up.
一会回来
I’ll be back.
震惊今日席卷门罗郡
A wave of shock rolled through Monroe County today,
阿♥拉♥巴马州最高法♥院♥推♥翻♥了
when the Alabama Supreme Court overturned
巡回法庭之前的审判
the circuit court’s previous decision,
批准对已被判处死刑的杀人犯
and granted a new trial to convicted killer
沃尔特 “约翰尼·D.” 麦克米利安重新审判
Walter “Johnny D.” McMillian.
这是郡外法庭第一次
This was the first time a court outside the county
用确凿的证据
was shown the overwhelming evidence
证明了麦克米利安的无辜
proving Mr. McMillian’s innocence.
尽管法庭已经批准对他重新审判
Though the court granted him a new trial,
我们相信他应当被立即释放
we believe he deserves to be released immediately.
而这也是下次审讯我们要力争的一点
And that’s exactly what we’ll be arguing at the next hearing.
查普曼先生 你如何看待今天的审判
Mr. Chapman, how do you feel about today’s decision?
无可奉告 谢谢
I have no comment at this time. Thank you.
我找布赖恩 史蒂文森律师
I’m looking for Attorney Bryan Stevenson.
-史蒂文森先生 -请问有什么事吗
– Mr. Stevenson? – How can I help you?
是的 先生
Yes, sir,
这份诉辩状是给您的
I’ve been ordered to serve you this pleading.
谢谢你
Thank you.
汤米·查普曼向法♥院♥请求了暂缓程序
Tommy Chapman is asking the court to stay the proceedings,
理由是 他需要时间展开一次新的调查
so he can open up a new investigation.
他明摆着就是想钻空子来重新立案圆谎
He’s trying to buy time to rebuild his case.
他就是个人♥渣♥
That son of a bitch.
布赖恩 你明明知道他是无辜的
Bryan? You’re asking the court
为什么还要让法♥院♥一直把他押在死囚监狱
to keep a man on death row you know is innocent.
律师先生 您说什么
Excuse me, Counselor?
您这是什么意思
I don’t know what you mean.
就连最高法♥院♥都对我们的证据表示支持了
The supreme court supports all the evidence we presented.
你所有的证人也都已经撤回证词了
Every one of your witnesses recanted.
你现在一无所有
You got nothing left.
等会儿 可我的调查还没完成呢
Well, hang on, my investigation’s still in process.
你什么都不会找到的 这点你我心知肚明
And we both know you’re not gonna find anything.
你知道在60分钟的节目播放后
You have any idea the bullshit
你的胡话给我带来了
that I’ve had to put up with
多大的麻烦吗
since your 60 Minutes story aired?
郡长现在一直咬着我不放
I got the governor on my ass,
全国有色人种协进会也觉得我种族歧视
got the NAACP calling me a racist.
龙达的家人几乎是每隔五分钟就找我一次
I got Ronda’s family checking in every five minutes.
你不能为了自己的名声
You can’t keep an innocent man in prison
就把一个无辜的人囚禁在监狱里
while you try to salvage your reputation.
这件事和我的名声半毛钱关系都没有
This ain’t got nothing to do with my reputation.
我只是不想辜负这个郡里的人对我的信任
This is about the people of this county
因为他们把自己的安危托付在了我手里
who have hired me to keep ’em safe.
那么你具体指的是哪些人呢
And what people are you talking about right now?
是指这附近的邻里街坊们呢
The ones from this neighborhood?
还是你们指控的约翰尼·D.的家
Or the ones from the black community
那些住在黑人居民区里的人呢
you took Johnny D. from?
你觉得他们过得安心吗
You think they feel safe?
汤米 你的工作不是捍卫原告
Your job isn’t to defend a conviction, Tommy.
而是捍卫正义
It’s to achieve justice.
只有你一直捍卫正义
And as long as you keep fighting this,
这一片的人才是真正意义上的脱离了危险
someone from your county has literally gotten away with murder.
所以你在饭点大老远跑来我家
You wanna come all the way to my house at dinner time
就是为了教我怎么做我的份内事吗
just to tell me how to do my job?

No.
不 我来这儿是因为我觉得
No, I’m here because I think you know
你是一个能明辨是非的人
the difference between right and wrong.
而且你很清楚 杀她的根本不是约翰尼·D.
And you know Johnny D. didn’t kill that girl.
我正在准备一项动议来驳回全部的控诉
I’m filing a motion to dismiss all charges.
我觉得你也应该加入这个行列
And I think that you should join it.
下次你要是再来我家
Next time you wanna stop by my house,
最好事先给我打个电♥话♥
appreciate you calling me first.
现在 布赖恩 从我地盘上滚出去
Now, you get the hell off my property, Bryan.
1993年 3月2日
布赖恩来了
There’s Bryan.
-怎么回事 -他们不肯放我们进去
– What’s going on? – They won’t let us in.
我们已经在这儿等了一个多小时了
That boy is making us wait out here for over an hour.
不好意思
Excuse me.
你这是在做什么
What are you doing?
执行命令而已
Just following orders.
这是一个公开听证会
This is a public hearing.
快放这群人进去
These people need to be let in now.
你们现在可以进去了
Y’all can go in now.
现在里面可没位置坐了
Now that there’s no seats left.
没关系
It’s okay.
我们自己找位置
We’ll find room.
-进去吧 -大家都跟上
– Go on in. – Y’all come on.
-借过 -好的
– Excuse us. – Yeah.
来吧 各位
Come on, y’all.
这边 来吧
Right this way. Come on.

Okay.
很高兴见到你 甜心
Good to see you, sugar.
好的 谢谢 太太 我这是应该的
Okay. Thank you. Yes, ma’am.
全体起立
All rise.
阿♥拉♥巴马州第二十八司法巡回法♥院♥
The 28th Judicial Circuit Court of Alabama
现在开庭
is now is session.
本次庭审将由尊敬的帕梅拉·巴沙卜法官
The Honorable Judge Pamela Baschab
为我们主持
presiding.
各位 请坐
Please be seated.
今天的人很多
We’ve got a full house,
所以我们最好尽快解决问题 不要拖沓
so let’s try to move through this in a timely manner.
大家今天共聚一堂 是因为史蒂文森先生
We’re here because Mr. Stevenson
提出了一项动议
has filed a motion to
以解除本案中所有对麦克米利安先生的指控
dismiss all charges against Mr. McMillian in this case.
史蒂文森先生 既然是您提出的动议
Now, Mr. Stevenson, since it’s your motion,
现在就请您先发言
I’d like for you to speak to it first
之后我们再来听州法♥院♥的看法
and then we’ll hear from the State.
这次的案子其实并不复杂
It’s easy to see this case
只不过是一个人想要证明自己的清白而已
as one man trying to prove his innocence.
但如果你们在审讯前整整一年
But when you take a black man and you
就将一名黑人关进死囚监狱
put him on death row a year before his trial…
并且不让其他黑人参与他的陪审
and exclude black people from serving on his jury…
如果你们选择胁迫一个白人重犯
When you base your conviction
来伪造定罪证据
on a coerced testimony of a white felon,
却蓄意忽视整整二十名
and ignore the testimony of two dozen
遵纪守法的黑人目击者的证词
law-abiding black witnesses…
如果他清白的证据全部被压了下来
When any evidence proving his innocence is suppressed
想道出真♥相♥的人 被威胁到大气都不敢喘
and anyone who tries to tell the truth is threatened,
那这个案子 就不局限于
this case becomes more than the trial
对单个被告的审判了
of just a single defendant.
它就变成一次实验了
It becomes a test
支撑着这个社会的究竟是恐惧和愤怒
of whether we’re going to be governed by fear and by anger,
还是平等与法治呢
or by the rule of law.
如果站在本法庭后方的所有人
If the people standing at the back of this courtroom
被指控时都直接被判为有罪
are all presumed guilty when accused…
如果 他们离开这里后还要忧心忡忡
If they have to leave here and live in fear
担心相同的事会落在自己头上
of when this very thing will happen to them…
如果我们对这种社会体制毫无异议

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!