那就是她电影生涯的终结。
– So I called him Daddy Rip,
-于是,我叫他瑞普爸爸,
and he was the daddy of my little sister, Rosie.
他是我妹妹罗茜的亲生父亲。
– June and Rip Nicks were married very, very quickly.
-琼和瑞普·尼克斯很快就结婚了。
– He had nothing to do with show business.
-他与演艺事业,一点儿关系都没有。
– He raced speedboats.
-他是快艇赛手。
His daddy owned a garage,
他爸爸有个汽车修理厂,
so he was always, like,building motors and hot rods,
所以他总是在造发动机和改装跑车,
and he wanted to go fast.
他追求快速。
– And now she had two daughters,
-现在她有两个女儿,
both of whom were under three years old,
两人都不到三岁,
and so something had to give.
她必须放弃一些东西。
– Come on, Rose.
-来吧,罗丝。
– I’ll go sit down.
-我这就去落坐。
– Your whole singing bunch is today.
-你今天得唱一整天的歌♥。
– Go, do it.
-开始,唱吧。
– OK, I’m gonna talk a little bit.
-好吧,我先讲解一下。
Ready. – You’re kidding.
准备了。 -你讲个笑话。
No.
不。
– Rosie and I wrote this song together,and this is my daughter Rosie.
-罗丝和我一起写了这首歌♥,这是我的女儿罗丝。
(罗丝.卡特,女儿)
It’s a tough story after you’ve been living in New York
a long time,and you’re just worn out.
这首歌♥是说,你在纽约住了很长时间,历尽千辛万苦,你已经精疲力尽了。
OK, babies, here we go.Thump, thump, thump.
好了,宝贝们,开始吧。砰,砰,砰。
– Come on, thumper.
-来吧,跟上节奏。
#I got tired of New York City #
我已经厌倦了纽约城
#With its sidewalk and its heat #
走在人行道上的热气中
#So I got myself a great big horse #
所以我给自己买♥♥了一匹大马
#And I rode him down the street #
我骑着他上了街头
#And then I hollered,hi, ho, Silver #
然后,我吆喝道,嗨,嚯,注意观察
#And get ’em up, scout #
让他们跑起来,小心车辆
I think it was about 1956.
我想,这大约是在1956年。
I was just coming home on the weekends
我只是在周末回家,
to do that “Grand Ole Opry” on Saturday nights.
在周六晚上,参加“大歌♥剧院”演出。
– June Carter and Garden Perry.
-琼.卡特和加登.佩里。
– I was backstage.
-我当时在后台。
I was just coming across backstage,
我刚要走过后台,
and this big, tall guy stops me
一个高大的家伙拦住我,
and said, “Hello, I’m Johnny Cash.”
说道:“你好,我是约翰尼·卡什。”
– Hello, I’m Johnny Cash.
-你好,我是约翰尼.卡什。
– And I knew who Johnny Cash was.
-我当然知道,约翰尼·卡什是谁。
I’d had listened to Johnny Cash a lot
在那之前的两三个月里,
for the past two or three months before that
我经常听约翰尼·卡什的歌♥,
because I had been traveling with Elvis Presley,
因为我一直在和“猫王”埃尔维斯·普雷斯利一起旅行,
and Elvis was a real Johnny Cash nut.
“猫王”是约翰尼·卡什的忠实粉丝。
He would always play John on the jukebox.
“猫王”总是在自动点唱机上,点约翰的歌♥。
He liked the song,”Cry, Cry, Cry.”
他喜欢那首歌♥,“哭,哭,哭。”
“Cry, Cry, Cry,” was one that Elvis used to tune his guitar by.
“哭,哭,哭”是“猫王”用来给他吉他调音的曲调。
Or I would tune Elvis’s guitar when he would break the strings.
或者在“猫王”吉他断弦的时候,我给他的吉他调音。
Only way he could tune his guitar would go…
他唯一能调音的方法就是…
#Everybody knows where you go when the sun goes down #
当太阳落山时,每个人都知道你去了哪里
And Elvis would try to get the tune that way.
“猫王”会试着用这种方式得到曲调。
So he told me an awful lot about Johnny Cash,
and I kept saying, “If I ever meet this fella,
他跟我说了很多关于约翰尼·卡什的事,我一直在说,“如果我遇到这个家伙,
“I want to see what he looks like.What does he look like?”
“我想看看他长什么样。他长什么样?”
Well, he did walk up to me backstage and just said that.
他确实走到后台,刚刚说了那句话。
And I said, “Well, I’m June Carter.”
我说,“嗯,我是琼·卡特。”
And he said, “I know.You know, I know who you are.”
他说:“我知道。我知道,你是谁。”
– I met her in ’56.
-我是在1956年认识他的。
She was a performer on “The Grand Ole Opry”at the time, and I was doing
她当时是《大歌♥剧院》的演员,而我是第一次
my first guest appearance there.
在那里客串演出。
– He told me that I was his favorite entertainer at that time from the show.
—他告诉我,我是他当时最喜欢的艺人。
– You have to put yourself in Johnny Cash’s shoes.
-你必须把自己,放在约翰尼·卡什当年的处境中。
I mean, he was a very, very poor son of the soil from Arkansas,
我的意思是,他是来自阿肯色州的一个非常非常贫穷的孩子,
and he has grown up hearing June on his radio.
他从小就听着琼的广播长大。
– #Running o’er the C&O road #
-跑在古老运河边的路上
– She’s been performing since she was six years old.
-她从六岁起,就开始表演了。
She was with him down on those Mexican stations when she was a little girl.
她还是个小女孩的时候,他就听她在墨西哥边境检查站里唱歌♥。
– #I saw through his disguise #
-我识破了他的伪装
#When I looked into his eyes #
我看穿了他的眼神
– I remember on my senior trip in 1950,we went to “The Grand Ole Opry,”
-我记得在1950年的高中旅行中,我们去了“大歌♥剧院”,
and I was sitting way up in the balcony,
我坐在三层楼座上,
and there was June Carter down on the stage,
and I said, “One of these days,
琼·卡特站在台上,我说:“总有一天,
I’m gonna get her autograph.”
我要得到她的签名。”
– This feller’s good-looking, isn’t he?
-这家伙很帅,不是吗?
– Oh, he’s handsome.
-哦,他是很英俊。
– And I imagine he sings pretty good, too.
-我猜他,唱得也不错。
– So good that he’s one of the biggest new stars in country music today.
– Is that so?
—他是今天乡村音乐中最大的新星之一。 -是这样吗?
– Yes, sir.
-是的,先生。
Come on over and meet him, Johnny Cash.
来吧,来见见他,约翰尼.卡什。
– #Time stands still when you’re waiting #
当你等待的时候,时间静止了
#Sometimes I think my heart is stopping, too #
有时,我想,我的心也停止跳动了
– At that time, our life took us somewhere else.
-那时,我们各自的生活,把我们带到了其他的地方。
– #One lonely hour seems forever #
一小时的孤独似乎永远
– I was living in Memphis,
-我是生活在孟菲斯的,
and I just didn’t see her for about five more years.
我有五年没见到她了。
#But I guess I’ll keep waiting till you’re with me #
但我想我会一直等到,你和我在一起
– He went his direction,and I went mine.
-他走他的路,我走我的路。
– #So doggone lonesome #
-如此地寂寞
– How about that?
-那怎样了?
– By the late ’50s, her options are not
-到50年代末,她的选择
(马克.斯蒂尔帕,卡特.卡什家族历史学家)
as wide open as they may have been
已经不像几年前
just a couple of years before.
那么广泛了。
She’s got the girls.
她有了女儿。
– Now, Mom worked.
-现在,妈妈得去工作。
And my step-daddy Rip did not always have a 9:00 to 5:00 job.
而我的继父瑞普,也不是朝九晚五地工作,
She used to write commercials for the “Opry” to make extra money.
她曾经为“大歌♥剧院”写广♥告♥,来赚额外的收入。
She’d say to me and Rosie, she’d say,
她会对我和罗丝说,
“You listen tonight,
“你们今晚听着,
“Because that little commercial
“因为我写的那个小广♥告♥
“I wrote and made 50 extra dollars,
“多赚了50美元,
it’s gonna be on there tonight.”
它今晚会在那里播出。”
– June Carter, Junebug.
-琼.卡特,《妙媳妇见公婆》。
– I’d like to sing old Carter family songs
because I think I know them a little better.
-我想唱老卡特家的歌♥,因为我觉得,我对它们更了解一点。
– She always said, used to say to me, she’d say,
-她总是说,有时这样对我说:
“Money ain’t everything, but it sure as hell helps.”
“钱不是万能的,但它确实有用。”
– June was working opening drugstores.
-琼在为开业的药店做广♥告♥。
June was playing in the milk aisle of the grocery store.
琼在杂货店奶制品销♥售♥货架前,拍广♥告♥。
– #If I was on some foggy mountain top #
如果我在雾蒙蒙的山顶
#I’d sail away to the West #
我要向着西部去远航
– She became known as somebody who was reliable,
-她被认为是一个可靠的人,
and when they would need the girl singer,
当他们需要这个女歌♥手的时候,
that was always what the promoters
were looking for…the girl singer.
她一直是主办者想要的…那类女歌♥手。
– #He’s caused me to leave my home #
-因为他,我离开了家
– That’s where June came in.
-这就是琼受欢迎的程度。
– #Oh, the lonesome pines and good old times #
-寂寞的松树,和美好的旧时光
#I’m on my way back home #
我走在回家的路上
#If I was on some old mountaintop #
如果我在某个古老的山顶上
– So just as it happened…
-所以,当事情发生时…
– Johnny Cash & The Tennessee Two!
-约翰尼·卡什和田纳西二人组!
– Johnny Cash had an opening.
-约翰尼.卡什也有了事业的开端。
– Got invited to go on a thing with him.
-我被邀请和他共事。
First, I think it was Dallas, Texas.
第一次,我记得是在得州的达拉斯。
– June Carter.
-琼.卡特。
– And there was a magic when they got on stage together.
-当他们一起上台时,有一种魔力。
There was something that was unique that happened.
发生了一件特别的事。
– Thank you very much.
-非常感谢你。
Right now, we’d like to bring out the flower of Clinch Mountain,
Miss June Carter.
现在,我们请出“克林奇山之花”,琼·卡特小姐。
(《克林奇山之花》是卡特家族乐队一首老歌♥)
Come here, June. Hi.