你好,卡尔。 -你好,琼。
– How you doing, old buddy? – Pretty doggone good.
-老兄,你进来怎么样啊? -凑活活着呢。
#I thought I had seen pretty girls in my time #
我想,我在我的生命中,见过最可爱的女孩
#But that was before I met you #
但那是在我遇见你之前
#I never saw one that I #
我从来没有见过,我
– Carl Smith was the preeminent honky tonk singer of the day.
卡尔·史密斯是当时最杰出的酒吧歌♥手。
– He was a hot hunk, one of the handsomest men in country music.
—他是一个热心的壮汉,是乡村音乐中最英俊的男人之一。
– I heard what you was saying out here.
-我听到你刚才,在这里说的话。
– What’d I say? – You said…
-我说什么来着? -你说…
– I didn’t think you heard me.
-我以为,你没听见
– You said you knowed me quite well.
-你说过,你跟我很熟。
I just want you to know, Carl,
我只是想让你知道,卡尔,
that I know you quite well, too.
我也很了解你。
– Oh.- And I don’t like…
-哦。 -我不喜欢…
I don’t like what I know.
我不喜欢,我所认识的。
No, I didn’t…
不,我没有…
– Hush, you’re on television. Look.
-注意,你这可是在上电视。你看。
#April and spring is in the air #
空气中是四月和春天的气息
– And June Carter landed the star.
-而琼.卡特是一颗坠入人间的明星。
Of all the women that wanted Carl,June is the one that got him.
在所有想要卡尔的女人中,琼得到了他。
– #I saw a little mugwump sitting in a tree #
-我看见一个小笨蛋,坐在树上
#Until he saw a female #
直到他看见了一个女人
– They were the storybook romance of the “Opry.”
-他们就是“大歌♥剧院”这本故事书里的罗曼蒂克。
They were like, oh, June Carter
他们说,哦,你们看,
of the famous Carter family,
and Carl Smith,the biggest hit-maker of the day.
著名的卡特家族的琼·卡特,还有当时最流行的歌♥手卡尔·史密斯。
And you’re like, “Wow.”
你就想说,“哇。”
(罗伯特K.奥尔曼,作家,音乐历史学家)
Perfect chemistry, perfect timing,
完美的化学反应,完美的时机,
(罗伯特K.奥尔曼,作家,音乐历史学家)
perfect everything… they were, like, the couple.
完美的一切…他们就像一对夫妻。
(罗伯特K.奥尔曼,作家,音乐历史学家)
– There was a lot of joy, a lot of laughter.
-有很多欢乐,很多笑声。
It sure had a beautiful outcome with my sister Carlene.
我妹妹卡琳的结局,确实很美好。
(约翰.卡特.卡什,儿子,音乐制♥作♥人)
– #I’d let you know, June #
-我得让你知道,琼
– See, Mama and Daddy looked like they belonged together,
-你看,妈妈和爸爸看起来也很般配,
too, because they had a very similar sense of humor,
因为他们有非常相似的幽默感,
(卡琳.卡特,女儿,乡村音乐艺术家)
and they got a kick out of each other.
他们从彼此身上得到乐趣。
– I’m kind of interested in you, Carl Smith.
-我对你有点兴趣,卡尔·史密斯。
You’re quite a ladies man. And I’m kind of…
你真是个讨女人喜欢的男人。我有点…
– Is that right? Well, all right.
-是吗?好吧。
– I’ve got to…
-我必须得…
close your big mouth.
让你闭上嘴。
Hey, no kidding. I really am…
嘿,别开玩笑了。我是认真的…
– You close yours. I’m liable to fall in.
-你快闭嘴吧。我很容易坠入情网的。
– Well, your big old ears would hold you out.
-好吧,你那俩大耳朵,会抱你出去的。
[cheers and applause]
[笑声和掌声]
– I’m gonna do it, and I just need you to know…
-我会这么做的,我只是想让你知道…
– The character you did,was it you? Or was it…
-你演的那个角色是你自己吗?还是…
– No, it wasn’t me. I created her.
-不,不是我自己。我创造了“她”。
She would do almost anything to get a laugh,
为了逗人笑,“她”几乎会做任何事,
and did, and I don’t think it was sincerely me.
“她”也确实笑了,但我觉得,那不是发自内心的我。
No, it’s just a crazy little girl I played.
不,只是我演的一个疯狂的小女孩。
I just get up, and then take the time to lay down.
我只是刚起床,然后再找个时间睡下。
Life gets tedious, don’t it?
生活变得乏味了,不是吗?
– Because she could do it so well,
-因为她演得很好,
people believed that June Carter really was this uncouth hick.
人们相信琼·卡特,真的就是这个粗野的乡下女孩。
She made it seem effortless.
她让一切看起来,毫不费力。
It was not effortless.
但是,这并非轻而易举。
She had thick binders that had jokes
她有厚厚的活页夹,
and songs and routines
里面有她几十年来
(马克.斯蒂尔帕,卡特,卡什家族历史学家)
that she had honed over decades.
磨练出来的笑话、歌♥曲和套路。
(马克.斯蒂尔帕,卡特,卡什家族历史学家)
– Miss June Carter.
-琼.卡特小姐。
– Nashville at the time was stuck in this image
-当时的纳什维尔,被这个小家庭主妇
(玛丽.布弗瓦克,作家、社会学家)
of the little homemaker.
的形象所折服。
The “Opry” was insistent that women should dress
“大歌♥剧院”剧组坚持认为女性应该
in those kind of gingham checks
穿那种格子布,
and be very conservative.
而且要非常保守。
– I’m getting a cold in my nose.
-我感冒得了鼻炎。
Life gets tedious, don’t it?
生活变得乏味,不是吗?
– There was a difficult time in my life and I wasn’t very happy.
-我生命中有一段艰难的时期,我不太开心。
It was during the time when I was in my first marriage.
那是在我第一段婚姻的时候。
I was married to Carl Smith.
我嫁给了卡尔·史密斯。
– My mother was working, and she was going on the road.
-我妈妈那时还在工作,她正要去赶路。
And I think that Carl had a different vision of
what a marriage was than my mom did.
我觉得卡尔对婚姻的理解,和我妈妈不一样。
– He wanted her to stay home and be more of a mom,
-他想让她待在家里,更像个妈妈,
and she could still go play the “Opry,”
but he didn’t think she’d be out on the road.
她还可以去《大歌♥剧院》剧组演出,但他没想到,她会出去巡演。
And Mama always said that she was covered up
妈妈总是说,她自己被事业心所掩盖,
with ambition, that she was absolutely filled with ambition.
她绝对充满了事业心。
She had all these things she wanted to do.
她有她想做的所有事情。
I think she wanted to be…
我觉得,她想成为…
I think she just wanted to be a superstar.
我觉得她就是想成为,超级明星。
– I detected a little sarcasm in that voice when I heard you putting me on.
-当我听到你跟我说话时,我察觉到你的声音里,有一点讽刺。
I said, “What’s the matter with you, anyway?”
我说:“你到底是怎么了?”
– Well, you know what you’ve done to me, don’t you?
-你知道你对我做了什么,不是吗?
– I don’t know what you’re talking about.
-我不知道,你在说什么。
Do you mean this morning? – Tell ’em what you done to me.
你是说今天早上吗? -告诉他们你对我做了什么。
– I was helping you, Carl. I haven’t…
-我在帮你,卡尔。我没有…
– Yeah, you was helping me.
-是啊,你在帮我。
Tell them what you done.
告诉他们,你做了什么。
– I was just helping you, old buddy.
-我只是在帮你,老伙计。
You was in bad shape,and I was just giving you a little, well…
你当时状态不好,我只是给你一点…
I tell you what.I tell you what.
我告诉你吧。我告诉你。
He had a bad cold in his head.- Yeah.
他得了重感冒,头疼。 -是的。
– It’s not something that you really did in the mid-1950s.
-这不是你在50年代中期,真正做的事情。
You really didn’t get divorced.
你真的不想离婚。
But by 1955,
但到了1955年,
and we’re talking less than three years,
我们说的是,不到三年的时间,
they’ve already decided they’re going their separate ways… – Right, I…
他们已经决定分道扬镳了… -是的,我…
– You may be a good old girl,but you don’t look too good.
-你也许是个好姑娘,但你看起来不太像。
– Oh, is that right? – No, you don’t.
-哦,是吗? -不,你不像。
You ought to put some lipstick on and bring your lips…
你应该涂点口红,把你的嘴唇…
– But they still worked together…
-但他们仍然一起工作…
– Around your eyes…
-在你眼睛周围…
– Where June and Carl are on stage doing banter…
-琼和卡尔,在舞台上开玩笑…
– Bring your hair out a little, you know?
-把你的头发,往外卷一点,知道吗?
– Well, why don’t you try to sneeze
and nod your head and bring your teeth out a little?
-嗯,你为什么不试着打喷嚏,点头,把你的牙齿露出来一点呢?
I like that ol’ Carl Smith.
我喜欢卡尔·史密斯老兄。
I got his picture at home. Yeah, I just…
我在家里摆上他的照片。是的,我只是…
About all that’s left.
就剩下在像片里了。
– You are… whee!
-你真是个…哟!
You wouldn’t know, honey.
你不会知道的,亲爱的。
You ain’t been there in a long enough time to see.
你在那呆的时间不长,看不清。
– Her divorce from Carl Smith was a scandal.
-她和卡尔·史密斯的离婚,成了个丑闻。
Nowadays, nobody would bat an eye.
现在,没人会计较这些。
But back then, it was a thing.- I’ll see you, old knothead.
但在那个年代,这是一桩事件。 -再见,老笨蛋。
– In the conservative Nashville,
-在保守的纳什维尔,
she still bore a scarlet letter.
她身上还带着一个绯闻“红字”。
You were like used goods.
她就像个“二手货”。
– #He don’t love me anymore #
-他再也不爱我了
#My eyes are filled with tears #
我的眼中充满了泪水
– I think that she had an existential crisis.
-我觉得,她遇到了生存危机。
I think that the divorce put her in a tailspin.
我认为,离婚使她陷入了困境。
– #Tell me where I go from here #
-告诉我,接下该怎么走
– She didn’t think that anybody was ever gonna love her who,at the same time,
-她不认为,有人会爱她,同时,
would let her just be able to do what she wanted to do,
她也想让自己能够做想做的事,
because she just couldn’t give it up.
因为她不能放弃。
– #And it’s hard to #
-这让人太难了
– Later on in his life,right before he passed away,