-卡特一家,要我说,就是那时开始出名的。
That was like the spontaneous combustion of country music.
就像是乡村音乐的一种“自燃”现象。
And June traces right into that.
琼紧紧抓住这次机会。
(萨拉.特拉亨,乡村音乐协会CEO)
– They had so many tunes that formed
他们有如此多的曲调,
a basis for our country and western music as we know it today.
形成了我们今天所知道的,我国和西方音乐的基础。
And when people didn’t know what kind of a melody to use,they just went back and grabbed
当人们不知道该用什么样的旋律时,他们就会回过头来,
an old Carter family melody and hung on to that.
抓住卡特家族的老旋律,然后坚持下去。
– #I will dance #
我将跳着舞
#I will sing #
我将唱着歌♥
#And my love shall be gay #
我让我爱的人都快乐
#I will charm every heart #
我要迷住他们所有人的心灵
#And in his crown,I will sway #
在他的皇冠下,我将摇摆
– I just thought everybody had a Mother Maybelle Carter that picked
-我只是以为,每个人都有一个“梅贝尔·卡特妈妈”在吉他上弹唱了
a “Wildwood Flower” on the guitar.
一首《荒野树林中的花朵》。
I didn’t really know she was different.
我真的不知道,她是如此得不同。
– Mother Maybelle was one of the early female guitar players
that actually slayed at guitar.
—“梅贝尔妈妈”是早期真正擅长吉他的女吉他手之一。
Like, she could straight up play.
就像这样,她能站着弹唱。
(凯西.马斯格雷夫。乡村音乐歌♥手)
– My little fingers were so calloused learning to play the “Wildwood Flower.”
-我的小手指,被这样冷酷无情地练习着,弹唱《荒野树林中的花朵》。
That was one of the first songs I think that most country kids… boys or girls…
那首歌♥,我想是大多数出身乡村的孩子们,…不论男孩女孩,都想学会的
you want to play. You know…
第一首弹唱歌♥曲…
#I will dance, I will sing #
我将跳着舞,我将唱着歌♥
#And I’ll play the wildwood flower #
我将弹唱着《荒野树林中的花朵》
– And my father was instrumental in this, too…
-而我父亲,在这方方面,也功不可没…
Ezra Carter.
以斯拉.卡特。
– Daddy was a wonderful influence in our life.
-爸爸对我们的影响很大。
Daddy was a brilliant man.
爸爸是个聪明的人。
– She was very close to him.
-她和他很亲近。
She’d ride his motorcycle with him.
她会和他一起骑摩托车。
She saw herself kind of as a real rough and tumble
她把自己看成是一个真正粗暴、跌跌撞撞
little kid, holding onto Daddy as he drove his motorcycle through that area.
的小孩,在爸爸骑着摩托车穿过那片区域时,紧紧抓住他。
(玛丽.布弗瓦克,作家,社会学家)
– I think probably the lesson that my father taught,
-我想,我父亲教给我的最重要的一课,
the most important one,was that we be ourselves.
就是我们要做自己。
You develop what you have.
你有什么天赋,你就去干什么。
You do that as a person.
你要想一个人那样,去干这件事。
#Don’t be a dirty miner like me #
别像我这样,成为一名肮脏的矿工
– When you grow up like that,
loving that place and knowing that’s who you are…
-当你像那样长大,喜欢那个地方,知道那就是你…
when you just become part of the woods
当你成为树林、蜜蜂
and the bees and the birds, and you’re just
和鸟儿的一部分时,你只是一群
a bunch of country little kids running around
到处乱跑的乡下小孩,
and that’s your place,when you have to move away
那就是你的地方,当你不得不离开
in order to do what you need to do,you carry that with you.
去做你需要做的事情时,你会把这种记忆带在身边。
(多莉.帕顿,乡村歌♥手)
– I’m sure you’re enjoying these good old songs
-我相信你一定很喜欢这些老歌♥,
as only the Carter Family can sing them.
因为只有卡特家族才会唱它们。
Now here’s the three little Carter sisters,Helen, June, and Anita.
这是卡特家的三姐妹,海伦,琼和安妮塔。
And what’s it gonna be?
这会是什么呢?
“In the Highway.”
《在高速路上》。
– “In the Highway.”
-《在高速路上》。
– #In the highways,in the hedges #
-在高速路上,在隔离桩里
– My sisters Helen and Anita and I went with my mother
to the Texas border stations.
-我和姐姐海伦、安妮塔和妈妈,一起去了德克萨斯边境检查站。
– That was the end of the world away from southwestern Virginia.
-那是远离弗吉尼亚西南部的“世界尽头”。
– Well, here’s something that’s mighty good.
-那么,这里的一些东西也许是最好的。
And that’s a solo by June.What’s it going to be, June?
下面是琼的独唱,你要唱什么?琼。
– I’m going to sing “Engine 143.”
-我要唱《143号♥机车》。
– #Along came the FFV #
-在燃烧酒精的车中
#The swiftest on the line #
它是跑得最快的
#Running o’er the C&O #
跑在古老的运河上
– Well, we get right on the stage,
and mother Maybelle Carter, I guarantee you,
-好吧,我们一上台,妈妈梅贝尔·卡特,我向你保证,
if she could hear us out of tune,
she would just pop up and let us know about it.
如果她能听到我们走调,她就会跳出来告诉我们。
– You’re on holy ground when you’re playing those songs.
-当你演奏那些歌♥曲时,你们就如同踏在“圣地”上。
They’ll live forever and ever and ever.
它们将永远、永远活着。
(马蒂.斯图亚特,乡村歌♥手)
– Yeah, they do. – But we’re all family.
-是的,它们永远长存。 -但我们都是一家人。
– Oh, why don’t we sing that one that we just tried?
-为什么我们不唱刚才那首呢?
– Which one was it?
-是哪一首?
– #You have heard of little Moses in the bulrush #
你听说过幼小的摩西,被放在芦苇篮子里顺流漂下
#You have heard of fearless David and his sling #
你听说过,无畏的大卫和他那投石器
#You have heard the story told of dreaming Joseph #
你听说过约瑟夫在梦中,被告知神谕
– Time for the Carter sisters and Mother Maybelle…
下面是卡特姐妹和梅贝尔妈妈…
– We left those Texas border stations,
-我们离开了那些德州的边境站,
and we worked a lot of shows, Helen and Anita and I,
我们进行了很多演出,海伦,安妮塔和我,
with my mother… just the four of us.
和我的母亲…只有我们四个人。
– They drove for hours and hours and then did four shows a day sometimes.
-他们开了好几个小时的车,有时一天演四场。
And it was relentless and sometimes brutal work.
这是无情的,有时是残酷的工作。
(罗珊妮.卡什,女儿,乡村歌♥手)
– #At that meeting in the air #
-在空中的聚会
– #The meeting in the air #
-聚会在空中
– Well, I hope you folks liked that one there.
-我希望乡亲们,能喜欢我们的歌♥。
I’m gonna give you a little jolt, now.
我现在要给你们一些震动。
I’m gonna sing one that’s awful corny here for you. It’s gonna be loud.
我要为你们唱一首非常老土的歌♥。会很吵的。
I reckon I’m Mommy’s loudest young’un,
我想,我是我妈妈几个孩子中,最爱吵闹的一个,
and that’s all I can figure out for myself here.
这就是我自己想要说的。
#Well, I might have gone fishing #
嘿,我可要去钓鱼了
#I got to think it over #
我又想了想
#The road to the river #
在去河边的路上
– She was not the greatest singer in the whole Carter family,
-她不是整个卡特家族中最伟大的歌♥手,
but her personality and her emotion made her part actually, sometimes,
但她的个性和情感让她的角色,有时
even more interesting,because she just would get in there very much like I do
甚至更有趣,因为她就像我一样进入那里,
and just sing right from the gut and the heart.
发自内心地唱歌♥。
– Maybelle just turned Mama loose
-梅贝尔放下了妈妈的“架子”,
and let her just be as zany and crazy and a kid as she could be.
让她尽情地胡闹,尽情地疯狂,尽情地耍孩子气。
(卡伦妮.卡特,女儿,乡村歌♥手)
It’s like she would do anything for a laugh.
就好像她为了搞笑,什么都愿意做。
– I think I tried to be funny when I couldn’t think of what else to do.
-我想,当我想不出,还能做什么的时候,我试着变得有趣。
When you didn’t know what else to do,
当你不知道还能做什么的时候,
you just talked, and so I rattled away,boogity, boogity, boogity.
你就说话了,于是我就喋喋不休,咕咕咕咕,咕咕咕咕。
– There was no way that June was not gonna be front and center.
-这样,琼就不可能不走到台前,成为中心。
It’s hard for her to stand still and not interject.
她很难不站着不动,而不插科打诨。
1950年,田纳西州,纳什维尔。
– We had come to Nashville,and we got a call to appear.
-我们接到了一个电♥话♥,去纳什维尔现身演出。
And so we went down and went to work at “the Grand Ole Opry.”
于是,我们南下,去“大歌♥剧院”开展演出。
– #The Grand Ole Opry,the Grand Ole Opry time #
-这里是“大歌♥剧院”,“大歌♥剧院”演出开始了。
– #Do-si-do, don’t let them go #
-快找个舞伴,别让他们从身边溜走
– If you were going to Nashville,
your dream was to be on “The Grand Ole Opry,”
-如果你要去纳什维尔,你的梦想就是去看“大歌♥剧院”演出,
because everybody all over the country listened to it if you loved country music.
因为这里汇集了全国的乡村歌♥手,如果你喜欢乡村音乐的话。
– We’ve got the girl here who can put an awful lot of humor in any program.
-我们这里有个女孩,她能在任何节目中,注入很多幽默。
Let’s make welcome Miss June Carter.
让我们热烈欢迎琼.卡特小姐。
– I’m gonna sing if I can swaller before I get started
’cause this song ain’t got no swallerin’ place.
-在我开始之前,我要唱一曲我以前唱过的老歌♥《吞咽》,因为这首歌♥没法吞咽下去。
– Let’s try it.
-我们试试吧。
– #I got a song #
-我有一首歌♥
#It’s a pretty good song #
这是一首很好听的歌♥
#Only one thing wrong with the pretty good song #
这首好歌♥,只有一点不好
#’Cause a pretty good song goes along and along #
就是一首好歌♥,会唱得越来越长。
– Back in those days, Saturday night,
-在那些日子里,周六晚上,
you’d turn on WSM Nashville and listen to “The Grand Ole Opry.”
你会打开WSM纳什维尔电台,听“大歌♥剧院”节目。
(威利.尼尔森,乡村歌♥手)
– #Get along and along and along and along #
变得越来越长,越来越长
#Gonna get me red in the face #
变得让我脸红
– June Carter was an all-around entertainer.
-琼·卡特是个全能的艺人。
– #’Cause it ain’t got no swallerin place #
-因为这首歌♥,你无法把它吞在肚子里,不唱出来
– June Carter, here we are.
-这是琼.卡特,为您献上的歌♥曲。
– What did I do? – What did you do?
-我做了什么? -你做了什么?
You can quit throwing that there…
你向那里扔了些啥…
– Well, if it ain’t June Carter.
-这难道不会是琼.卡特。
– Of all the knot-headed people,
-在所有的糊涂蛋里,
you are the knotty-headed of knot-headed…
你是糊涂蛋里的糊涂蛋…
well, bless his heart.
让上帝可怜你吧…
It’s Carl, that’s who it is.
这是卡尔,还会有谁这么糊涂。
Hello, Carl. – Hello, June.