– We had one of those storybook kind of marriages in the beginning
that just was unbelievable.
– 一开始我们的婚姻,就像童话书里的一样,令人难以置信。
We had no problems for the first 10,
我们的前十年,都没有问题,
12 years of our marriage.
在婚姻的第十二个年头。
I mean, it was like something you would read about in books.
我是说,就像你在漫画书里读到的那样。
– The first 10 years they were together,they were never apart ever, ever.
-他们在一起的头10年,似乎永远、永远不会分开。
If she went shopping, he went shopping with her.
如果她去购物,他就和她一起去。
And I just was like,”I would shoot myself.”
我当时就想,“要是我,就要开枪自杀。”
– The home I grew up in,there was a beautiful intimate relationship
-在我成长的家庭里,有一段美好的亲密关系
that was going on.My father was clean.
在滋长。我父亲当时很干净。
He wasn’t on anything in the early 1970s.
他在70年代早期,没有服用任何毒品药物。
It was very peaceful
在我八、九岁之前,
and very together as a unit
作为一个整体,我们
up until I was eight or nine years old,
非常和平,非常团结,
when their relationship changed a great deal.
同时,他们的关系发生了很大的变化。
By 1980 or so,
到1980年左右,
my father rekindled an addiction.
我父亲又染上了毒瘾。
– It would sneak up on him.
-毒瘾会悄悄靠近他。
Something would trigger him, or he’d get hurt,
有什么东西会触发他,或者他会受伤,
and you gave John a bottle of anything
如果你给约翰一瓶药,
and didn’t monitor him on it,he’s going to take it all.
却不监管他,他就会把药全吃了。
– June did not save my dad.
-这次,琼没有救回我爸爸。
You can’t save another person from their own addiction.
你救治不了,又一个染上毒瘾的人。
– Thank you very much. I’d like to do my new record.
-非常感谢。我想做我的新唱片。
– #Bills, love, and pills #
-欠账单,爱情,还有药丸
#And drink, and wine, and song #
饮料,烈酒,还有歌♥曲
– June really struggled to keep him looking good
-当他出现在公众面前的时候,
when he was in public,you know, guarding him
琼真的很努力地让他保持良好的形象,你知道,保护他
from people who might be disappointed if they saw him in that shape.
不让那些粉丝看到他那样的身材,这可能会让粉丝们失望。
(比尔.米勒,约翰尼.卡什博物馆馆长)
He chose to, you know, just give himself to people.
他选择了,你知道的,把自己奉献给人们。
– God bless you and good night.
-上帝保佑你们,晚安。
– #That’s tired and gone #
-累了,想走下舞台了
– There were a lot of characters around him
who were there for the wrong reasons.
-他周围有很多角色,都是出于错误的原因出现的。
June was kind, but she could be ruthless.
琼心地善良,但也可能冷酷无情。
It took a lot,but if it was clear that
you were not trustworthy,she’d cut you out.
这很费功夫,但如果你明显不值得信任,她就会把你踢出去。
– Their relationship suffered greatly.
-他们的关系,受到很大影响。
They were fighting every day.
他们每天都在吵架。
They were very angry with each other,mostly my mom angry with my father.
他们彼此都很生气,主要是我妈妈生我爸爸的气。
– I knew that they were having trouble.
-我知道,他们之间有了麻烦。
My mother, my sister,and I were having lunch
at a restaurant in New York.
妈妈、妹妹和我在纽约的一家餐馆吃午饭。
And she was there,and she said,”There’s a problem.
就在那里,她说:“有个问题。
“Either he gets straightened out or I have to leave,
and I don’t want to leave.”
“要么他改过自新,要么我就得离开,而我不想离开。”
She just was at her wit’s end.
她只是无计可施了。
So whatever happened,it must have been something horrible.
所以不管发生了什么,一定是很可怕的事。
– I was traveling with them,
-我和他们一起旅行,
and, you know, I remember one night
hearing my dad’s breathing being very labored.
你知道,我记得有一天晚上,听到我爸爸的呼吸很吃力。
He would breathe all the way out,and then his breath would stop,
他会一直呼气,然后他的呼吸会停止,
and then after a little bit, he’d…
再过一会儿,他会…
and he’d start breathing again.
然后他又开始呼吸了。
Well, at one point, it stopped,and he didn’t start back.
好吧,有一次,它停了下来,他没有重新开始。
– Scenes of my life passed before my eyes.
-我生活的一幕幕,在我眼前闪过。
I saw myself at my peaks
and I saw myself walk through my deepest, darkest valleys.
我看到自己在巅峰,我看到自己走过最深、最黑暗的山谷。
– I ran in, and I got my mother,
-我跑进去,叫上我妈妈,
and we got him up, and we put him in the bathtub,
把他扶起来,放到浴缸里,
and we poured water all over him.
往他身上一遍又一遍地泼水。
I remember he woke up,
我记得,他醒来时,
and he was very incoherent.
他说话已经语无伦次了。
I was afraid. I was overwhelmed.
我很害怕。我不知所措。
I was crying my eyes out. I mean, I was a kid, you know?
我的泪水夺眶而出,我想说,我还是个孩子,你知道吗?
But it wasn’t long after that many changes began to occur.
但不久之后,发生了许多变化。
– #There was a time #
-曾经有一次
– There was an intervention.We had an intervention.
-要进行调停。我们都采取了调停。
We all wrote letters to my dad.
我们都给爸爸写了信。
It was very hard for me to do that.
我很难做到这一点。
We read them all to my father,
and he agreed to go to treatment at Betty Ford Center.
我们把这些信都读给父亲听,他同意去贝蒂·福特中心接受治疗。
– When I saw him again in California,
-当我在加州再次见到他时,
that person was back, my old dad was back again.
那个人又回来了,我的老爸又回来了。
– #Hey Willy Wallacky,hey John Dougal-y #
嘿,威利·沃拉基,嘿,约翰·杜格利
#A lane, quo’Rushity,noo, noo, noo #
在通往拉什迪的一条小路上,喏,喏,喏
#Have I told you lately #
还记得,我最近跟你说的
#That I love you? #
那就是,我爱你吗?
– And at that point, there was a great forgiveness in place.
-在那一刻,我们得到了极大的宽恕。
You know, my mother was like, “It’s hard to be Johnny Cash.”
你知道吗,我妈妈说,“做约翰尼·卡什太难了。”
It’s like, “How did she forgive him?”
就像,“她是怎么原谅他的?”
She had a way of forgiving as if it was from East to West.
她有一种宽容的方式,仿佛是从东部传到西部的。
– And maybe a lot of times,they did buy into their own myth,
for better or for worse.
-也许很多时候,他们确实相信了自己的神话,不管是好是坏。
Maybe that kept them going at a time when they could have broken up.
也许这让他们在可能分手的时候,还能继续下去。
You know, it’s like, well,we have this thing together that’s bigger than us.
你知道,就像,嗯,我们在一起,有一件比我们更重要的事情。
I mean, that’s what it looked like from the outside,and you never know
我是说,从外表上看是这样的,而且你永远不知道
what goes on in people’s marriages anyway.
别人的婚姻里发生了什么。
– It’s real easy.
-这真的很就简单。
I don’t know if you can learn it fast enough or not,
but we might could get it down.
我不知道,你们学得够不够快,但我们也许能把它记下来。
It’s one I wrote just before I sent them to Vicky.
这是我寄给维姬之前写的。
It’s… – “Wings of Angels.”
这就是… -《天使之翼》。
– #Bare me up on wings of angels #
-向我袒露出,天使之翼吧
#Let me hear the choir sing #
让我听见唱诗班的歌♥声
#Let me see the faces #
让我看见那些
#Of the cherubim #
小天使们的脸吧
#Lift me up on wings of angels #
把我送上天使之翼
– I was in the lobby at the Betty Ford Center.
-我在贝蒂·福特康复中心的大厅。
We went back there to visit them, and John was in rehab.
我们回去探望他们,约翰在那里戒毒所。
And June was at the codependency center.
而琼来到了,“互助信心中心”。
(丽萨.克里斯托弗森,友人)
– #Jesus, I’m trying #
-上帝啊,我在努力
#To get to you #
向 你 靠近
– When she went into Betty Ford Center,there was an education that happened
-当她进入贝蒂福特中心时,她的生活中,发生了一种教育,
in her life of what codependency is that she
让她了解了,什么是“互助信心”,
had never conceived of before.
这是她以前,从未想象过的。
– She said to me, “Oh,honey, I just learned
-她对我说:“哦,亲爱的,我刚知道
I’m going to die before John.”
我要比约翰先死。”
I said, “Why?”
我说,“为什么?”
She goes, “Well,because codependency is really,
really hard.We become super parents.”
她说,“因为“互助信心”,这真的、真的很难。我们得成为“超级父母”。”
And I said, “Well, what do you do in the unit?”
我说,“那你在隔离区里,是怎么做的?”
And she goes, “We paint.We play with clay.
她走了,“我们画画。我们玩黏土。
“We fly kites. We learn to be kids again.
“我们放风筝。我们学会了,做回孩子。
“And I’m telling you this because you need to know this.”
“我告诉你这些,是因为你需要知道这些。”
– Being codependent,
which means sometimes you’re too good for your own good,
-成为“信心互助者”,意味着,你首先要比自己想象的还要完美,
where you put others too much ahead of your own needs.
在那里,你还要把别人,看得比你自己重要的多的地位上。
– You helped him to heal a lot of those scars.
-你帮他治愈了很多创伤。
– Well, that would be nice if I could say I did that.
-如果我能说,是我♥干♥的就好了。
I think all of us girls would like to be able to claim that
we healed our husbands.
我想,我们所有的女孩子,都希望能够宣称,我们治愈了自己的丈夫。
You know, if it doesn’t work,you just pop them in the head and holler “heal.”
如果还不管用,你们只要拍着他们的头,喊道“给我治好了”。
It doesn’t work.
这不管用。
– You sound like you kind of regret some of the things that go along
with the status you’ve achieved in the business.
-听起来这类事,对你在这个行业取得的地位,感到有些遗憾。
– Oh, I don’t regret any of that.
-哦,我一点都不遗憾。
There is pain in everybody’s life.
每个人的生活,都有痛苦。
It’s something we all are confronted with.
这是我们所有人,都面临的困扰。
Every one of us has pain.
我们每个人都有痛苦。
It helps us, you know?
这对我们很有帮助,你明白吗?
If you’ve put it behind you, boy, it’ll push you.
如果你把它抛在脑后,小伙子,它会推动你。
It’ll stick you right through the rest of the world
if you’ll stick it behind you.
如果你念念不忘,它就能固执地跟着你,跟到世界的其他地方。
Don’t let it hang with you.Don’t put it in front of you.
别让这件事一直困扰着你。别把它放在你面前。
That’s what I say.
这就是,我要说的。
– There comes a point in every entertainer’s life,