What brings you to Pisa?
我来找你谈谈
I’ve come to speak with you.
你在罗马的缺席一直受到,…,议论
Your absence in Rome has been… criticized.
正如你所见, 我妻子需要我在这里
As you can see, my wife needs me here.
我们可以借一步说话吗
Can we speak privately?
怎么了,加图?
What’s the matter, Cato?
你打算说我父亲的坏话吗
Did your conversation depend on speaking ill of my father?
坐,坐,加图
Sit, sit, Cato.
谢谢
Thank you.
凯撒即将占据高卢的最后一个要塞
Caesar is about to take the last stronghold in Gaul.
韦辛格托里克斯已经召集了从高卢各地的每个部落
Vercingetorix has called for every tribe from the mountains to the sea.
他们正在向阿莱西亚进发
They are on the move toward Alesia.
多少人?
How many men?
二十五万
Two hundred and fifty thousand.
我的丈夫呢,有多少人? – 四万
– And my husband? – Forty thousand.
他会胜利的, 他已经胜利了这么多年
He’ll survive. He has survived these many years.
他从来没有遇到过这么多敌人
He’s never been up against so much.
真的吗? 这次我丈夫会输吗?
Is this true? Will my husband lose this time?
没有人能预测战争的结果
No one knows the outcome of war.
你是执政官,庞培,做一点事
You are consul. Pompey, do something.
如果凯撒赢得这场战斗…… – 他将成为下一个苏拉
– If Caesar wins this battle… – He will become the next Sulla.
这就是你要说的 不是吗?
That’s what you were going to say, wasn’t it?
如果他赢了,他将成为下一个苏拉……
That if he wins he will become the next Sulla…
你有什么好担心的呢,加图?
Why are you worried, Cato?
你说他没有没有机会胜利
You said he doesn’t stand a chance against the Gaul’s.
那为什么召他回来?
Why call him back?
为什么不把他留在那里战死呢
Why not just leave him there to fight this battle to his own death?
如果你把他留在那里,你的下一个苏拉会自我毁灭 不是吗
If you leave him there your next Sulla will extinguish himself.
你在等我丈夫失败,不是吗?
You’re waiting for my husband to fail, aren’t you?
你也是
And so are you.
—————————————
亲爱的卡尔珀尼亚
“My dear Calpurnia.
我正在尽我所能确保我安全地回到你身边
“I’m doing everything in my power to make sure I come home safely to you.
你一定听说了,我们建了一堵墙,把阿莱西亚人关在里面
“You must’ve heard we’ve built a wall to hold the Alesians in.
你可能不知道的是,我们还修建了第二堵墙,
“What you may not know is that we built a second wall as well,
将他们的盟友拒之门外
“to keep their allies out.
我这样说是为了让你放心,
“I say this to reassure you…
他们可以把我们的数字四舍五入十倍,但我们仍然会打败他们
“they can round up ten times our number and still we will defeat them,
因为赢得战争的不是数字而是愿景
“because it’s not numbers but vision that wins wars.
“我的愿景是回到你身边,我的爱人。
“My vision is of returning to you, my love.
不仅回来了,而且像我向你承诺的那样胜利归来
“And not just returning, but returning victorious as I’ve promised to you.
“当我的人累了,
“When my men are tired,
“我不能总是让他们休息
“I can’t always let them rest.
“当它们饿的时候,我不能总是喂它们。
“When they’re hungry, I can’t always feed them.
“但当他们忘记了自己的愿景时,
“But when they forget their vision,
“我可以和他们分享我的
“I can share mine with them.
“我分享的越多…
“And the more of what I share…
“我拥有的越多。”
“the more of what I have.”
召集部落需要30天
It will take 30 days to round up the tribes.
我们有多少食物?
How much food have we got?
27天的粮食
27 days of grain.
想办法延长到35天
Make it last 35.
我们将分配口粮
We will divide our rations.
把所有的粮食都运到商店去了吗
Have all the grain brought to the stores.
如果判处死刑,没有人会吃超过这个标准的东西
By the penalty of death no one will eat beyond that measure.
当部落从农村来与我们作战时,
When the tribes’ve come from the countryside to fight with us,
高卢人的人数将比罗马人多5比1
the Gauls would outnumber the Romans 5 to 1.
如果我们成功了…
If we succeed…
我们可以永远摧毁罗马人在高卢的存在
we could destroy the Roman presence in Gaul forever.
如果我们失败了…
If we fail…
我们将成为他们的奴隶
we will be their slaves.
“晚上我们休闲,
“In the evening we take our leisure,
“讲述这个城市和我们家庭的故事,
“tell stories about the city and our families,
“或者在辛苦工作一天后安静地吃东西
“or just eat in silence after a hard day’s work.
“男人们确实很努力…
“The men do work hard…
“但还有比苦役更糟糕的事情
“but there are worse things than hard labor.
“等待要糟糕得多
“Waiting is much worse.
“等待是战争中最艰难的部分,我亲爱的妻子
“Waiting is the hardest part of war, my dear wife.
“我们大多数人都会欢迎在这种可怕的沉默中发出战斗的呐喊,”
Most of our men would welcome the cry of battle over this dreaded silence,
“并将与我们所能看到的敌人作战,无论多么强大,
“and would fight an enemy we could see, however great,
“早于与我们心中那个永远杀人的人战斗。
“sooner than fight the one at our minds which goes on killing forever.
“真正的敌人几乎是一种安慰。当我抬头看着Alesia时,我有时会想到这一点
“The real enemy is almost a comfort. That is what I sometimes think when I look up the hill to Alesia.
“他们就像我们一样。他们和我们一样有勇气
“They’re just like us. They have courage like us.
“他们像我们一样死去。”
“They die like us.”
部落现在应该已经到了
The tribes should’ve been here by now.
如果他们不来…
If they don’t come…
我们将不得不自己战斗
we’ll have to fight on our own.
我们没有足够的人
We don’t have enough men.
我说我们放弃吧。-做罗马奴隶?
– I say we give ourselves up. – And be Roman slaves?
如果我们死了,我们的神也会死
If we die our gods die.
-如果我们做奴隶!至还能活命…-
– At least if we live… – In slavery!
在任何状态下!
In any state!
如果我们活着,我们就能为神服务
If we live we can perform that service to the gods.
我们可以让他们为我们的孩子而活
We can keep them living for our children.
你认为上帝会希望我们让他们活着,这样他们就可以被奴隶崇拜吗?
You think the gods would want us to keep them alive, so they can be worshiped by slaves?
如果我们没有什么可以养活自己的,
If we have nothing left to feed ourselves with…
我说我们做我们祖先做的事:
I say we do what our ancestors did:
我们吃年老体弱的人来维持生命
We eat the elderly and the infirm to keep ourselves alive.
我们不会吃掉我们自己的人
We won’t eat our own people.
如果我们只喂饱自己人,就有足够吃几天的食物了
There’s enough food left for several of days if we only feed our men.
有一种方法我们可以让罗马人妥协
There’s a way we can compromise the Romans,
削弱他们
weaken them.
我说…
I say…
我们把我们的妇女和孩子交给他们
we give up our women and children to them.
我们的口粮能让我们多活几天
Our rations will keep us alive for several more of days.
如果我们的妇女和儿童成为他们的奴隶,
If our women and children become their slaves…
罗马人将不得不喂养他们,这将耗尽他们的供应
the Romans will have to feed them, and that will deplete their supplies.
我们必须告别我们的家人
We must bid farewell to our families.
我们今天必须做
We must do it today.
无论发生什么,
And whatever happens…
我们都必须永远锁上他们身后的大门
we must lock the gates behind them forever.
我们的生存取决于它
Our survival depends upon it.
这将是我们对众神的牺牲
This will be our sacrifice to the gods.
打开大门
Open the gates!
打开大门
Open the gates!
派人到门口去
Send men down to the gates.
打开大门…
Bold the gates…
加倍设防
and double the guard.
宽恕吧!
Have mercy!
凯撒…
Caesar…
我求你重新考虑
I beg you to reconsider.
他们都会死的
They’ll all die.
我不会饿死我自己的人来维持敌人的生命
I will not starve my own men to keep the enemy alive.
把他们送回阿莱西亚
Send them back to Alesia.
回去!快!
Go back! Go!
这是什么?
What is this?
汤
Soup.
这不是汤
This is not soup.
这是水!
This is water!
我们战斗多年,他们给我们水!
We fight for years and they give us water!
我们为罗马而死,我们得到水!
We die for Rome and we get water!
现在住手!
Stop now!
罗马人和高卢人有什么不同?
What is the difference between the Romans and the Gauls?
纪律
Discipline.
我们是一体行动的
We act as one body.
这就是我们强大的原因
That’s what makes us strong.
你觉得你饿的时候我吃得好吗?
Do you think I eat well while you starve?
我和你吃一样的份量
I eat the same portions as you.
我饿了
And I’m hungry.
但在我放弃我们来这里得到的东西之前,我会吃掉泥土
But I would eat soil before I give up what we’ve come here to get.
这就是你所看到的一切
And that is everything you see.