– and outside it is…
– Renoir.
– 外面是…
– 雷诺阿。
Renoir and Degas…
雷诺阿和德加
and inside it is hard and hot.
而里面又硬又热。
– [Giggling]
– I don’t care.
– 我不在乎。
– [Clock Tolling]
– I don’t care.
– 我不在乎。
– Happy New Year, Julia.
– Happy New Year, Lilly.
– 新年好,朱莉亚.
– 新年好,莉莉.
[Tolling Continues]
[Lilly’s Voice] I cannot say now
that I had ever used the words…
我不敢确定我曾用过这些词语…
gentle or strong…
温柔或是强烈的…
or delicate.
亦或是微妙的。
But I did think that night…
但我想那天晚上…
that it was the most beautiful face…
那是我所见过的最漂亮的脸庞…
I had ever seen.
Maybe I could do better work someplace else.
也许在别处我能更好地工作.
– Dash?
– [Mutters]
– 达西?
If I were to go to Paris and work…
如果我到巴黎去工作…
– Are you awake?
– Uh.
– 你醒着吗?
– 恩。
Dash, do I keep you from writing?
达西,我有过不让你写作吗?
No. Sleeping, Lilly.
You keep me from sleeping.
没有,睡吧,莉莉。你让我睡不着。
[Young Lilly]
But what about Paris? What about Rome?
巴黎怎么样?罗马怎么样?
– [Young Julia] You aren’t listening.!
– I am listening.!
– 你没在听我讲。
– 我在听。
[Horn Blaring]
[Horns Blaring]
[Brakes Squealing]
[Greetings, Indistinct]
Please tell me what’s the matter.
告诉我你怎么了?
I don’t want to be here, not with them.
我不想待在这里,不想跟他们住在一起.
– I hate them.
– Why?
– 我讨厌他们.
– 为什么?
[Horse Whinnies]
They took me to see Cairo.
他们带我去了开罗.
They told me how beautiful
Cairo would be, but it wasn’t.
他们告诉我开罗是多么漂亮,但事实却不是这样.
I said to my grandfather,
“Look at those people. They’re hungry.
我跟外祖父说:“看看那些人.他们都在挨饿.
They’re sick.
Why don’t we do something?”
他们都病了,为什么我们不能帮助他们一下?”
And he said, “Don’t look at them.”
但是他说:“别看他们。”
I said, “But they’re sick.”
我说:“可他们都病了。”
He said, “I didn’t make them sick.”
他说:“不是我让他们生病的。”
What about Paris?
What about Rome?
巴黎怎么样?罗马怎么样?
– You aren’t listening!
– I am listening!
– 你没在听我讲。
– 我在听。
Where my mother lives,
the servants live under the ground…
我母亲住这里,佣人们住下面。
18 people in three rooms,
no windows, one bathroom.
18个人住三个房♥间,没有窗户,公用一个卫生间。
It’s wrong. It’s wrong, Lilly.
这不公平,这不公平,莉莉。
Do you understand?
你明白我说的吗?
[Julia]
I heard from Oxford, from medical school.
我收到了牛津医学院来的通知。
– I was accepted.!
– [Lilly] When will you go?
– 我被录取了。
– 你什么时候走?
At the end of the summer.!
过了夏天。
[Dixieland]
[爵士乐]
– All ashore that’s going ashore.
– You’d better go.
– 走吧。
[People Shouting Farewells]
When are we gonna see each other again?
我们什么时候能再见面?
It’ll be so long.
那要等很长时间了。
Think of it this way… when we do
we’ll have everything to talk about.
你要这样想,到时我们可以聊很多的事情。
– All ashore that’s going ashore.!
– Please write me.
– 记得给我写信。
You know I will.
你知道我会的。
Work hard. Take chances.
努力工作,抓住机会。
– Be very bold. Do you hear me?
– [Bell Clanging]
– 勇敢一点。听到我说了吗?
– All ashore that’s going ashore.!
– Good-bye.
– 再见。
Good-bye.
再见。
[Lilly’s Voice] I wasn’t to see her
again for a very long time…
之后很长一段时间我都没再见过她…
until I went to visit her at Oxford.
直到那年我去牛津大学看望她。
There are women who reach
a perfect time oflife…
女人都会经历一个人生的黄金阶段…
when the face will never again be as good…
在这个阶段她会拥有最美丽的面庞…
the body never as graceful or powerful.
最优美的身姿和最充沛的精力。
It had happened that year to Julia.
那年茱莉亚正逢她人生的黄金岁月。
– Do you have lots of friends?
– Not many.
– 你朋友多吗?
– 不多。
– Do you get to the theater?
– No, there isn’t time.
– 你有去剧院看过戏吗?
– 没去过,没时间去。
But we always went to the theater.
但我们以前经常去啊。
When you write your play, then I’ll go again.
等你写完你的剧本,我会再去剧院看戏的。
– How is your writing?
– Oh, I’m still at the publishing house.
– 你的剧本写得怎么样?
– 哦,还在出版社呢。
I wish I could write full-time.
我希望我能够专职写作。
– Do you have a beau?
– No. Do you?
– 你现在有追求者吗?
– 没有。你呢?
Well, I think maybe I found somebody.
我想曾经有过。
– And you?
– I did, but it didn’t work out.
– 你呢?
– 曾经也有过,但最后没什么结果。
– What are you reading now?
– Darwin, Engels…
– 你在读什么?
– 达尔文,恩♥格♥斯♥…
Hegel, Einstein.
海格尔,爱因斯坦
– Do you understand Einstein?
– Sure.
– 你看得懂爱因斯坦的理论吗?
– 看得懂。
[Chattering]
– Will you come home next summer?
– No, I’m going to Vienna.
– 明年暑假会回来吗?
– 不会回来,我要去维也纳。
I’ll finish my medical studies there…
我要在那里完成学业。
and then I’ll apply to study
with Professor Freud.
然后申请和弗拉德教授一起搞研究。
Can you do that?
I mean, I know you can do that…
你能搞研究吗?我是说,我知道你有能力 …
– but Jesus.
– I think so. There’s a chance.
– 不过,天啊。
– 我想可以。这是个机会。
I think he will accept me.
Lilly, you have to come to Vienna.
我想他会接受我的申请。莉莉,你得到维也纳去看看。
Then you’ll know what to write about.
在那里你会知道有很多东西可以写。
People are coming alive there… working
people who’ve never had a chance before.
那里的人们已经觉悟了… 那些以前根本没什么机会的工人们。
They’ve built their own
part of the city in Floridsdorf.
他们在弗洛里茨多夫建立了自己的一片天地。
They’ve got their own orchestra.
The newspaper’s the best in Vienna.
他们有自己的管弦乐队,维也纳的报纸也是最好的。
Lilly, finally there’s
some real hope in the world.
莉莉,好在世界上还有一些真正有希望的东西。
Do you understand?
你明白吗我说的吗?
Yes, of course.
当然。
[Lilly’s Voice]
But I didn’t understand.
但事实上我不明白。
Not fully. Who of us did?
或者说我只明白一些。我们之中有谁能明白呢?
She wrote me from time to time. She went on
to study medicine at the university in Vienna.
她时不时地给我写信。她在维也纳的一所大学继续钻研医学。
And as the years went on,
she wrote angrily of the threat of fascism…
后来她愤怒地在信中提到了法♥西♥斯♥政♥权♥的威胁…
and of the Nazis, of Mussolini
and Adolf Hitler…
那些纳粹党人、墨索里尼、阿道夫 希♥特♥勒♥…
and of the holocaust
that was on the way.
还有大屠♥杀♥。
She couldn’t understand why the world
refused to see what was coming.
她不理解为什么整个世界无视正在发生的这一切。
I decided to accept Hammett’s offer…
我决定接受汉密特的建议…
to see if I could do
better work away from home.
看看到别的地方去是不是能更好地完成自己的工作。
I went back to Europe, to Paris.
我回到了欧洲,回到了巴黎。
Julia? It’s Lillian.
朱莉亚?是莉莉安。
Is that you? It doesn’t sound like you.
是你吗?听起来不像你的声音。
[Laughs]

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!