Morris worked 50 years to earn his fortune, Joy.
他过世前让我在他床前发誓
Before he passed on to the next world, he made me promise on his deathbed…
我不会轻易浪费他辛苦挣到的
that I would never be neglectful with one dollar of the money…
每一块钱
that he so carefully earned.
所以你必须回答莫里斯的 四个跟理财有关的问题
Therefore you have to answer Morris’s four questions of financial worthiness.
你准备好了吗?
Are you ready?
我想我准备好了
I think so. Yes.
第一个问题
Question number one:
你在哪里上的高中?
Where did you go to high school?
普兰菲尔德公立高中
Plainfield Public High.
第二个问题 你高中念得怎样?
Question number two: Who were you in high school?
我是最优等生
I was valedictorian.
学校里最聪明的学生
The smartest student in the school.
那很好,是吧?
That’s good, right?
也许
Perhaps.
乔伊也许是一个聪明的 还未崛起的商人
Joy might be a brilliant, unrealized creator of commerce.
但另一方面
But on the other hand…
同样可能的是 她会是一个致命的失败者
it’s equally possible that she is a fatally flawed underachiever…
注定要失败、令人失望 以及不能实现期望
doomed to a lifetime of failure, disappointment, unfulfilled expectations.
乔伊,你必须承认
You must admit, Joy…
你迄今为止的生活
that your life, to date, makes a stronger case for…
很令人失望
…disappointment.
我不在乎这些
I don’t care about any of this.
这不但冒险 而且在财务上不负责
It’s not only risky, but it’s fiscally irresponsible…
并且毫无道理
and doesn’t make any sense, whatsoever.
乔伊这辈子都没做过生意
Joy’s never run a business in her life.
我过去十年都在打理我爸的修车厂
I’ve been running my father’s garage for the last 10 years.
我们的爸爸
Our father.
我想要为这个现成的生意
I have ventures that I’m planning to launch here…
找合作投资
at this existing business.
在我来找特鲁迪投资前
You never mentioned any of this…
你对这些提都没提过
until I came to Trudy to ask for an investment.
莫里斯的第三个问题是?
What’s Morris’s third question?
你是否准备好
Are you prepared…
在投资的六个月内
within six months of commencing this venture…
产出足够的回报?
to show adequate returns?
我接受你的条件
I accept your terms.
别这样做,乔伊
Don’t do it, Joy.
第四个问题呢?
What’s the fourth question?
你在一个房♥间里 桌上有一把枪
You are in a room, and there is a gun on the table.
而房♥间里的另一个人是你的商业对手
And the only other person in the room is an adversary in commerce.
你们二人中只有一人能活下来
Only one of you can prevail.
不过,你已经保住了 你的生意和莫里斯的钱
Yet, you have protected your business and Morris’s money.
乔伊,你会拿起枪吗?
Do you pick up the gun, Joy?
这是个很诡异的问题
That’s a very strange question.
这个问题一点也不诡异
There is nothing strange about this question at all.
这是关乎钱
This is money.
你会拿起枪吗?
Do you pick up the gun?
我会拿起枪
I pick up the gun.
很好
Good.
当我跟我的律师谈话时
I’m going to remember that you said that…
我会记得你说过这话
when I speak to my lawyer.
特鲁迪的律师说了什么?
What did Trudy’s lawyer say?
他查遍了全球的专利
He did a worldwide patent search.
什么是专利?
What’s a patent?
专利就像是保护你的想法的法律
A patent is like a law that you get to protect your idea.
很多人为他们的想法申请专利
A lot of people patent their ideas…
但只有少数人能实现它们
but only a few of them actually get their ideas made.
所以特鲁迪只是想要谨慎行事
So Trudy just wanted to be careful…
乔伊
Joy…
我只想让你知道 图森就要完成他的工作了
I just wanted to let you know that Touissant has almost finished his work.
还有…
And, um…
我们真的要给他多找些活干
You know, we really need to find some more work for him.
–你想为这房♥子做更多活? –对
– You want more work in the house? – Yeah.
我得去做另外一个大项目
I have another big job I have to go to.
–什么? –是的
– What? – Yes.
–但我们这里确实有问题 –抱歉
– Well, but we have real issues here. – Sorry.
–妈,我们没钱请他 –嗯…
– We don’t have money for that work, Mom. – Well…
好吧
Okay.
乔伊…
Joy…
妈,你怎么了?
What is happening to you, Mother?
我不知道
I don’t know what’s going on.
你爱上图森了?
Are you in love with Touissant?
我感觉很孤独
I was feeling alone.
并且我都没有意识到
And I didn’t even realize it, you know?
然后…
And then…
专利搜索的结果呢?
What did the patent search find?
特鲁迪只是想谨慎行事
Trudy just wanted to be careful.
这个人找到一个德州的人
And this guy found a man that’s in Texas…
他为一个外国人工作
who worked for another guy in another country…
他们有个想法 可能跟我的拖把类似
where they have an idea that might be similar to my mop.
哪个国家?
What country?
香港
Hong Kong.
那个香港人在德州达拉斯有代理人
The Hong Kong man has a representative in Dallas, Texas.
他在德州的代理人跟我的律师很讲理
The Dallas man was very reasonable with my lawyer.
嘿
Hey.
这个德州人…
So, this guy in T exas…
我们应该向他支付专利保护费,对吧?
We’re supposed to pay him a royalty on the patent as a protection, right?
对
Right.
以防被要求索赔
T o be safe from any claims.
对吧?
Is that correct?
请别再使用“我们”这个字眼
Please stop using the word “we.”
这都不是你的钱 也跟你无关
None of this is your money or your business.
但这个人同时拥有一家制♥造♥工厂
But the same guy also owns a manufacturing plant…
你们说他的要价最便宜?
that you guys say that it’s cheaper than any other place?
–是的,在加州 –对
– Yes. In California. – Yes.
一个金属和塑料注塑模具厂
A metal and plastic injection mold factory.
好的,所以是同一个人
Okay, so it’s the same guy.
–他拥有这项专利… –做生意经常都是这样
– He owns the patent… – This happens all the time in business.
你找到了最好的合伙人,那很明智
You find the best partner. It’s smart.
他不懂生意
He doesn’t understand business. He doesn’t know business.
–对,我是不懂 –我懂生意
– No, no, I’m the first to say that. – I understand business.
爸爸和我总是为修车厂买♥♥配件
Dad and I, we buy parts for the trucks all the time at the garage.
莫里斯总是那样做的
Morris did it all the time.
一站式采购,那是最便宜的
One-stop shopping. It’s the cheapest.
–但那正常吗? –他就是那样赚钱的
– But is that normal? – That’s how he made his money.
–对,正常 –对!
– Yeah, that’s normal. – Yes!
那个拥有专利的人和拥有工厂的
But is it normal, the same guy who has the patent…
是同一个人,这正常吗?
is the same guy who has the manufacturing?
–再好不过了 –对
– Yeah. Make it best. – Yeah.
–是吗? –那样最好
– Yeah? – Better if it’s that way.
好,那律师呢?莫里斯的律师?
Okay, and the lawyer? Right? Morris’s lawyer?
–他很好,别找事 –他好得很
– He’s good. Let’s not make trouble. – He’s very good.
但他的专长是服装业,对吧? 而不是制♥造♥业
But he specialized in garment business, no? Not manufacturing business.
托尼,见好就收吧
Tony. Let’s quit while we’re ahead.
我知道你想让托尼当顾问
I know that you want Tony to be your counselor, if you will…
我尊重那一点
and I will respect that…
在这场商业活动中 托尼和你也应该
as Tony and you should respect what we’re proposing…
尊重我们推荐的律师
as the lawyer for this whole business endeavor.
好了,配件已经从加州送来
All right. The parts have arrived from California…
我们能在这里开始生产
and we can start manufacturing here.
我装好了第一把拖把
I have the first assembled mop.
我说过它会改良
I told you it was gonna be more refined.
的确改良了
And it is.
马丁内斯神父来了
Father Martinez is here.
你得让那些女士们干起活来
You need to set those women up right now and get going.
她们会为这工作而感激你的,乔伊
They’re gonna be so grateful for the jobs, Joy.
好,我去跟她们谈
Okay. All right. I’ll go talk to those ladies.
现在我终于有工作给她们做了
Now I finally have jobs for them.
我组装给你们看…
And I’ll show you guys how to assemble…
我得承认我有些为你自豪了