– These are my friends, Jerry and Marge Selbee.
这是我朋友,杰瑞和玛姬,塞尔比夫妇。
They live in Evart, Michigan.
他们住在密歇根州伊瓦镇。
伊瓦镇餐厅
It’s a small town that’s not exactly in its prime.
这个小镇老了。
出租、永久停业
Though, to be honest, neither are Jerry and Marge.
杰瑞和玛姬也不年轻了。
Today, they’re on their way to buy lottery tickets.
今天,他们出发去买♥♥彩票。
Lots and lots of lottery tickets.
大手笔购买♥♥。
– But they’re not hoping to get lucky.
他们可没想着碰运气。
You see, they don’t need luck.
要知道,他们不需要运气。
杰瑞&玛姬大乐透
But this story doesn’t start there.
不过故事要从早一点说起~
It starts with Jerry,
从杰瑞开始。
getting up before dawn just like he has every day for 42 years,
天没亮就起身,四十二年每天如此。
going to work at the Corn Flakes factory,
去麦片厂上班。
for what he fears will be the last time.
今天恐怕是最后一次。
– It’s a math problem, really.
– 这是道数学题,你看,
If you count the letters, uh,
顺着字母排,
except the letter “I,” which they skip
跳过I,
because it looks like a “1”,
因为避免数字1混淆,
then you realize that “J” is February.
然后就知道J代表二月。
And then, the last letter…
同时,最后一位数字。。。
Oh, boy.
在这里,
That designates the plant code,
专门代表工厂代码。
which was not easy to figure out, but, uh…
虽然有点烧脑,不过…
I did.
我算出来了。
Jerry,
杰瑞,
you don’t have to work so hard. You’re retiring.
没必要这么拼,你退休了。
Well, yeah. But… I…
呃,嗯。。。
I don’t have to be. Um…
确实不用,呃。。。
I know my line is shutting down, but…
这条生产线关闭了,我。。。
You know, I have a thing with numbers.
你瞧,我喜欢数字。。。
Come on.
拜托~
You’ve served your time. These are your golden years.
你辛苦一辈子了,该颐养天年了。
He’s the best line manager we ever had, right?
他是我们最好的生产线经理,对吧?
Absolutely.
绝对是。
– Hey. Why don’t you tell these guys
嗨,跟他们摆摆你的资历,
how you started working here in high school?
高中就加入公♥司♥,
You worked nights, right?
从夜班开始,对吧?
受真实故事启发
大概率
– To Jerry.- All right.
敬杰瑞。好吧。
Not everybody can pull off 42 years
连干四十二年,有几个人能扛下来,
without getting fired.
还没被炒过。
And now you have a boss who’s going to let you sleep in.
现在好了,新老板给你包吃住,
And won’t yell at me.
还不会骂你。
Wrong about that.Oh.
那可说不准。
You know, you should get your real estate license,
其实可以去考个房♥产中介牌,
just like Howard did.
学霍华德。
It’s like having a job.
假装在工作,
But it’s also like being retired,
其实闲着。
because you don’t do anything.
啥也不用做。
It’s true.
没错。
Most days, I don’t even leave the house.
可以好多天都不出门。
Well…
呃。。。
You know, I’ll make it work.
其实我会找点事情。
You know, I can always help Marge around the house.
比如,帮玛姬收拾家里。
No, you don’t need to do that.
不,不需要你做。
No, I’d be happy to.
不,我很乐意。
I mean, you’ve been taking care of this place for years.
看你忙乎了一辈子,
I kind of have a system.
我有我的章法。
Oh, yeah, and a good one.
是,章法确实不错,
But, you know, every system can use an improvement.
但是,任何系统都有改进空间。
– Oh, God. Here we go.
瞧,又来了。
Hey. I got an idea. -Yeah?
嘿,我有个想法,-嗯?
Why don’t I try consulting on some of your job sites?
我可以去你那儿做咨♥询♥,
You know, find ways of making things run better.Ah.
做改善改良之类的,
You wanna walk around on my construction site
你想来我的工地巡查,
and tell me what I’m doing wrong? Oof.
然后给我挑刺?唔。。。
I wouldn’t charge much.
我收费不高。。。
Oh, and I have to pay you for this?
哦,被挑刺我还要付费。
Darn right.- Are you going to also come by
是的。-不如你顺便过来
and teach my wife how to grade papers?
教我老婆怎么改作业?
Hey, Dad, if I lived here, I would welcome that.
爸,如果还住这儿,我倒是挺乐意的。
Thank you, Dawn.
谢谢,多恩。
I’m gonna take you up on that.
说定了,
I’m gonna drive down to Grand Rapids more often.
我就多跑跑你们大激流那边。
Oh, whoops.
哦,天。
You sold it too well.
看你作吧。
Shut up. -Backfired right in your face.
你闭嘴,-自作自受了。
Yeah, sweetie? Okay.
怎么了,宝贝?
Can we show Pop Pop?
给爷爷看看吧?
Uh, yeah, you wanna show Pop Pop right now?
啊,好。这就给爷爷看吗?
Show me what?
看什么?
We got you a retirement present.- Surprise.
我们给你准备了退休礼物。-惊喜吧?
Okay.
好吧。
Open your eyes.- Open.
睁眼。睁眼。
– Holy cow!
我去!
A fishing boat. What…
钓鱼船!怎么~
Do I like fishing? I do? Okay.Yeah, you took me once.
我喜欢钓鱼吗?好吧。-是,你带我钓过一次。
Yeah, now you can go whenever you want.
好了,现在你想去就去了。
– Yeah, how about that?
是,多好啊。
This is great. Thank you.
太好了,谢谢!
Thank you, thank you, thank you.- Oh, good.
谢谢,谢谢,谢谢。好。
Oh.- Dad likes it.
哦。老爸喜欢。
And you, for keeping a secret.
还有你,保密工作很到位。
Thank you, pumpkin.
谢谢你,小丫头。
Thank you, Doug.You like it?
谢谢你,道格。-你真喜欢?
– Yeah.- All right.
是。好吧。
My goodness.
我的天。
My goodness.- Good job. You didn’t spoil it.
我的天。- 干得好!没有泄露机密。
– That was your one job. You did so good.You okay?
那是份重要工作,干得不错。 – 你还好吗?
Oh, yeah. Yeah.
哦,当然,当然。
I don’t have many regular clothes.
我可没啥钓鱼的衣服。
It’s all work shirts.
都是上班穿的款。
Well, we can get you more clothes.
好了,也给你买♥♥衣服。
Hmm.
嗯。
It’ll be an adjustment.
退休需要适应。
You’ll find your way.
你会找到办法的。
Hmm.
嗯。
Have you?
你适应了吗?
Not really. But I don’t have a boat.
还不算吧。不过我又没有船。
You want this one?
这条船给你?
Nope.
免了。
一个月后
Morning, Leon.Morning, Jerry.
早,里昂。早,杰瑞。
Card was declined, Helen. I’m sorry.
这张卡爆了,海伦。不好意思。
– Dang it. Maybe I have cash. Let me just…
喵的。应该还有现金,我找找。
– I know you’re good for it.
好了,先欠着吧。
– Thanks, Leon.
谢谢,里昂。
What are you doing out here?
你坐这儿干嘛?
My appointment is at- 00.
我预约了十点。
No, you said you’d come at- 00.
不,你说你十点来。
I don’t have any other appointments. I have six clients.
我没有其他预约,我只有六个客户。
Okay.
好吧。
How do you make a living with only six clients?
才六个客户,你怎么养活自己啊?
I don’t. I just became an online travel agent. See the posters?
养不活。所以我又开张了线上旅行社,瞧那边海报。
Oh, yeah.
哦,好吧。
So, why do you need posters if it’s online?
既然是线上业务,你还要啥海报。
Because they were free.
反正免费来的。
Why do you always have to understand the reasoning behind everything?
为什么你总要问为什么,什么事都追根问底?
Oh, well.
好吧,
It’s the only way I can make sense of things.
只有这样我才能了解世界的逻辑。