1962年9月1日前后
您将前往珍妮·古道尔小姐 在非洲的营地位置
您将拍摄影片 记录古道尔小姐 与黑猩猩在一起工作的情况
嗨 我是珍妮
JANE: Hi, I’m Jane.
雨果
HUGO: Hugo.
珍妮 作为一个享受独处的人
INTERVIEWER: Jane, for someone who enjoyed your solitude,
你是否会担心
were you concerned about
把另一个人带到你的…
bringing another person into your…

JANE: Yeah.
对 我不是特别高兴 但这是协议的内容
No, I wasn’t particularly happy, but it was part of the deal.
是国家地理学会给我们拨的款
Geographic funds you.
他们必须要拍摄研究情况
They must cover the research.
这是我的项目
It was my project.
他是来记录我的项目的
And he came to, you know, document my project.
我不希望任何人
And I just didn’t want anybody
来到我的小天堂
coming into my little paradise.
你对雨果的第一印象是什么
INTERVIEWER: What were your first impressions of Hugo?
雨果会抽烟
JANE: Well, Hugo smoked.
他几乎是烟不离口
He almost chain smoked.
地上全是他的烟蒂 另外
And all the butts on the floor, and the–
我一直很讨厌人抽烟
Oh, I’ve always hated smoking.
还有他是个完美主义者
And he was a perfectionist.
这几乎要把我逼疯了
It drove me nuts.
但另一方面
But at the same time, you know,
他也是帅气的男孩 他的声音很轻柔
he was a nice looking guy and his voice was quiet.
头一天晚上 雨果告诉我
The first evening Hugo spent telling me
他都拍过什么影片 还跟我说起他的童年
about the films that he’d made and his childhood
说他如何心心念念想要拍摄动物
and how he’d always wanted to photograph animals.
我们有很多共同点
So we had a lot in common.
我觉得我从一开始就能明显感觉到
And I think it was pretty obvious to me right from the start
除了黑猩猩以外 我也是他感兴趣的对象
that I was a subject of interest as well as the chimps.
一天 我们收到了一个天大的好消息
One day, we were greeted with fantastic news.
一只黑猩猩偷偷溜进我的帐篷里
A chimp had crept into my tent
还拿走了一些我晚饭时吃剩的香蕉
and had taken some bananas left from my supper.
它也许还会再来
Perhaps he would come again.
所以第二天 我和雨果在等它
And so the next day, Hugo and I waited.
时间一小时一小时过去
As the hours went by,
我开始担心那只黑猩猩不会过来
I began to fear that the chimp wouldn’t come.
然后 一个黑影 从林中空地的另一头出现了
Then a black shape appeared on the other side of the clearing.
我立马就认出它来了
I recognized him at once.
是灰胡子大卫
It was David Greybeard.
我几乎无法相信
I could hardly believe it.
几个月来 黑猩猩们 一看到我就会逃走
For months the chimps had been running off when they saw me.
可现在竟然有一只黑猩猩 来到我的帐篷里
Now one had actually visited my camp.
之后 我总是会把香蕉准备好
After that I always had a supply of bananas ready.
黑猩猩们经常来营地找香蕉
The chimps often came to camp looking for bananas.
渐渐地 它们也愿意让我 不断靠近它们
And gradually they allowed me to get closer and closer.
能够这样靠近黑猩猩 真的是让人激动不已
It was absolutely thrilling to have the chimpanzees so close,
但是喂香蕉也不是没有问题
but the bananas feedings were not without problems.
黑猩猩们不怕我们后
As they lost their fear of us,
我们发现它们很快就变成了 一群没有良心的小偷
the chimps quickly proved to be unconscionable thieves.
它们会偷走毯子
They would steal blankets,
厨房♥抹布 衬衫 枕头
cloths from the kitchen, shirts and pillows,
纸板盒 这东西很适合咀嚼
and cardboard boxes; wonderful things to chew on.
黑猩猩们不再是一小群悄悄出没
No longer did the chimpanzees arrive in small quiet parties.
现在它们是成群结队 大举入侵我们的营地
Instead, they invaded our camp in huge groups
而它们之间展开的竞争 也变得越来越激烈
and aggressive competition between chimpanzees increased.
有时候我们得躲起来
Occasionally, we had to seek shelter.
它们的攻击行为变得越来越严重
And the aggression became more serious.
为了制止这种情况
In order to stop the aggression,
我们决定弄个进食站
we decided to create the feeding station.
希望这能控制住它们的攻击倾向
With the hope that it would control their aggressive tendencies
带来和平
and bring peace.
现在我们利用手动操作钢铁箱
Now, using hand operated steel boxes,
就能够井然有序地控制进食情况
we could manage the feeding in an organized way.
结果
As a result,
我们也能够比之前 更靠近它们 进行观察
we were able to make closer observations than ever before.
老芙洛很容易辨认
Old Flo was easy to identify,
它长了个圆圆胖胖的鼻子 耳朵上有缺口
she had a bulbous nose and ragged ears.
芙洛是它所在社群里 地位最高的雌性黑猩猩
Flo was the top ranked female of her community
它可以控制其他雌性黑猩猩
and could dominate all the other females.
但雄性黑猩猩不受它管控
But none of the adult males.
因为在黑猩猩的社会里 雄性占主导地位
For in chimpanzee society, males are the dominant sex.
一天 它来到营地
One day she came to camp
屁♥股♥上有个粉色的肿块
with a pink swelling on her backside.
这表明它做好交♥配♥的准备了
It was a sign that she was ready for mating.
很多雄性黑猩猩立马就明白了情况
Many of the males quickly realized
开始对它展开追求
and began their pursuit.
跟在它身后的追求者排成了长队
She was followed by a long line of suitors.
我是从芙洛身上 第一次认识到
It was from Flo that I first learned
在野外 雌性黑猩猩
that in the wild female chimps
不是只有一个伴侣
do not just have one mate.
它允许所有雄性与它交♥配♥
She allowed them all to mate with her.
菲菲很讨厌这样
And Fifi hated it.
来自黑猩猩国的问候
这项研究的摄影方面比我设想的
还要成功
可以和人分享
INTERVIEWER: It must have been exciting
你热爱的事情 你肯定觉得很兴奋吧
to have been joined by someone who shared your passions.
没错
JANE: No, that’s right.
我们是一个非常幸福的家庭 雨果很有魅力 我们处得很好
我们都喜欢在大自然里生活
We both loved being out in nature
我们都热爱自己所做的工作
and we both loved the work we were doing.
我们就是很合得来
We just got on very well.
雨果在贡贝的时间快结束了
Hugo’s time in Gombe was almost over.
我喜欢他 我知道自己会想念他的
I cared for him, and I knew that I would miss him,
但在他离开之后 我收到了一份电报
but then after he had left, I received a telegram.
你愿意嫁给我吗 爱你的雨果
我愿意 爱你的珍妮
你喜欢翡翠吗 你的手指有多大
我很喜欢翡翠 爱你
你和雨果决定结婚时
INTERVIEWER: When you and Hugo decided to get married,
你们有什么打算
what were your plans?
说实话 我们没有什么长♥期♥打算
JANE: You know honestly, we didn’t make long term plans,
真的没有
we really didn’t.
我们只想要回到贡贝 拍摄影片
We just wanted to go back to Gombe and make films.
当我们回到贡贝时 我们得知了一个好消息
When we returned to Gombe, there was wonderful news.
芙洛生了个儿子
Flo gave birth to a son.
我叫它弗林特
I called him Flint.
弗林特出生后
When Flint was born,
我和雨果也因此有机会
it gave Hugo and I the opportunity
启动一项能够持续50年的研究
to initiate a study that could last 50 years.
这是我们头一次可以这么近距离地
And it was the first time an infant chimpanzee
在野外观察一只黑猩猩婴儿
and the relationship between parent and child
观察黑猩猩母子之间的关系
could be observed so closely in the wild.
作为母亲 芙洛慈爱
As a mother, Flo was affectionate,
宽容
tolerant, and nurturing
它会用娱乐消遣的方式 而不是用惩罚这种方式
and used distraction rather than punishment
来教导自己的小宝宝
to teach her small infant.
菲菲很快就把精力 全投♥注♥到自己的小♥弟♥弟♥身上
Fifi soon became utterly preoccupied with her infant brother.
它试图控制弟弟
She tried to handle him.
但芙洛非常温和地制止了它
But Flo very gently prevented her.
不过最后 等它获得准许后
Eventually though, as soon as she was allowed
它就会同弟弟玩耍 给它梳理毛发
she played with him, groomed him,
背着它到处走
and carried him around.
它的确成了母亲的好助手
Indeed, she became a real help to her mother.
婴儿 里程碑
你欣赏芙洛什么
INTERVIEWER: What was it about Flo that you admired?
它是黑猩猩母亲的典范
JANE: Well, she was all things that a chimp mother should be.
它有保护欲 但又不会过度保护
She was protective, but not over protective.
它慈祥 爱嬉戏
She was affectionate, she was playful,
但它会支持其他黑猩猩
but being supportive.
这是它的关键特质
That was the key ,
当然了 我母亲也是如此
and of course that is what my mother was.
她会支持我
She supported me.
毫无疑问
And there’s no question