这里没有安排好的剧本
There was no… continuity.
苏珊是他的第三任妻子
Susan was his third wife,
在那之后 他还会再来两个
he would have two more after that.
我没有一个固定的朋友圈
I didn’t have a community of friends
在我来这之前 我已经去上学了
that I had gone to school with before I came here.
我的朋友是我在原来那里交的朋友
My friends were the friends that I made here.
我喜欢它
I loved it.
我热爱生物学
I loved biology.
我也热爱历史
I also loved history.
我喜欢罗马和希腊的历史
I loved the Roman and Greek history.
这就是我进入暴食症的原因
That’s how I got into bulimia,
学习罗马人如何填饱自己 然后
learning about how the Romans would gorge themselves and then…
我有一个室友
I had a roommate,
卡罗尔本特利
Carol Bentley.
卡罗尔教我做这件事
Carol taught me to do this.
当然
And of course…
你知道 我们没有意识到
you know, we didn’t realize…
当我们开始吃的时候 我们没有意识到
what we were starting, we didn’t realize how…
它有多危险 多上瘾
how dangerous it was, and how addictive,
以及它将如何影响我们的生活
and how it would affect so much of our lives.
但它是从这里开始的
But it’s… it started here.
你从没告诉过任何人你
You never told anybody that you were…
这样做
doing this.
我以为只有她、我和罗马人
I thought it was just her and me and the Romans.
我从来没想过别人会这么做
It never occurred to me that anybody else did it.
母亲们常常为此受到指责 但对我来说
Mothers are often blamed for that, but for me,
那是那是我爸爸会受到责备
it was… it was my dad.
我让他感到惭愧
I made him ashamed.
他认为我很胖
He thought I was fat…
因为我看起来不像他想要的样子
because I didn’t look the way he wanted me to look.
我知道他不希望我在身边
I knew that he didn’t want me around,
或者我让他难堪
or that I embarrassed him,
我的意思是 他告诉过其他人
and, I mean, he told people that.
我听到我父亲对我的身体说了些什么
I heard my father say things about my body
从那以后 这就深深地扭曲了我的生活
that has twisted my life in deep ways ever since.
顺便说一下 他的大多数妻子都患有饮食失调症
And, by the way, most of his wives suffered from eating disorders,
包括我的母亲
including my mother.
所以我母亲自杀的阴影
So the shadow of my mother’s suicide,
在我去艾玛威拉德的前一年
which happened a year before I went to Emma Willard,
从来没有散去过
was never far away.
我要离开这些风流韵事了
I’m gonna get off this merry-go-round.
我真讨厌这恶心的东西
I’m so sick of the whole stinkin’ thing.
什么东西?
What thing?
生活
Life.
《他们射马 不是吗?》这是我第一次拍
They Shoot Horses, Don’t They? was the first time I had ever made a movie that…
真正有内容的电影
was about something.
在某种程度上 这是一个隐喻
It’s a metaphor, in a way,
为了
for…
美国社会 贪婪
American society, greed.
以及那些不情愿的人的绝望
And the desperation of people who don’t
那些没有有金钱和特权的人
have money and privilege.
在大萧条时期
During the Depression,
人们会去参加这些舞蹈马拉松
people would go to these dance marathons
努力赢得各种奖项
to try to win all kinds of prizes.
他们会不停地跳舞几周
And they would dance without stopping for weeks.
这些可爱的孩子值得你的欢呼
These wonderful kids deserve your cheers
因为他们每一个
because each one of them
是在对抗痛苦 疲劳 疲惫
is fighting down pain, exhaustion, weariness,
挣扎着继续前进 奋力争取胜利
struggling to keep going, battling to win.
这难道不是美国式精神吗?
And isn’t that the American way?
在我们开始拍摄之前
Before we started shooting,
悉尼波拉克打电♥话♥给我
Sydney Pollack called me.
我不知道他是谁
I didn’t know who he was.
他可能拍了一部电影
He’d made, maybe, one other movie.
我永远不会忘记 他说 “你看 你觉得这个剧本怎么样?
And I’ll never forget it, he said, “You know, what do you think of the script?
“告诉我你认为我们遗漏了什么 ”
“Tell me what you think we’ve left out.
“如果你认为还有什么重要的东西 请告诉我 ”
“Let me know if you think there’s something important.”
我的意思是 没有一个导演 包括我的丈夫
Well, I mean, no director had… including my husband,
他导演了我几部电影
who directed me in several movies…
曾经有这样跟我说话
had ever… talked to me that way,
问我对那些深奥的事情的看法
asked my opinion about things that were profound.
我一直觉得她是
I always had this sense that she was…
一个严肃的女演员
a serious actress
她的思想被包裹在迷人的外表里
buried inside this glamour-puss.
工作 工作 工作
Work, work, work!
《他们射马 不是吗?》是一部更加黑暗的电影
They Shoot Horses, Don’t They? was a much darker film,
让她自己去挑战一个不同的领域
and asked her to go to a different place in herself.
她很出色 在这个角色上
And she was great in the role.
表演中没有一丝虚荣
There’s not a shred of vanity in the performance.
悉尼让我学会思考
Syndey made me feel seen,
还有价值
and of worth.
所以我想 “是的 我要去那里 ”
And so I thought, “Yeah, I’m gonna go there.”
我把自己投入到角色中
I threw myself into the character
我以前从未有过
the way I never had before.
我住在工作室
I lived at the studio.
我看了一些疯狂的人的图片和画
I looked at paintings and pictures of crazy people.
我把自己包裹在黑暗的茧中
I wrapped myself in a cocoon of darkness.
我有一个 六个月大的孩子和一个丈夫
I had a… six-month-old child and a husband.
但是我还没有足够的表演技术
But I just didn’t have the technique yet where I could go
让我走进我能触及的深渊
as far down the dark hole as I possibly could,
做为一个妻子和母亲
and be a wife and mother.
我必须呆在黑暗的洞穴里
I had to stay in the dark hole.
我母亲与我同在
The presence of my mother was with me.
我必须让自己达到一个境界
I had to get myself to a point
就是让我真正的感觉 “为什么要继续下去?”
where I really felt… “Why go on?
这是绝对没有意义的 ”
There’s absolutely no point.”
现在?
Now?
现在
Now.
然后 事情发生了变化
Then, something shifted.
我的假发从头上掉了下来
My wig from They Shoot Horses comes off,
我有一头长长的 仍然是巴巴拉式的头发
I’ve got this long, still-Barbarella-esque hair,
我只是想 “这不再是我了 ”
and I just thought, “This is not me anymore.”
我第一次有了灵感
I had my first hair epiphany.
有人说我的头发有自己的想法
Someone said my hair needed its own agent.
我去找瓦迪姆的理发师 保罗麦格雷戈
And I went to Vadim’s barber, Paul McGregor,
在格林威治村有一家沙龙
who had a salon in Greenwich Village,
我说 “做点什么吧
and I said, “Do something.
把它剪掉 ”
Cut if off.”
他给我剪了一个被称为“克卢特发型”的样式
And he gave me what has become known as the Klute hairdo.
【柳巷芳草】1971年
我感到很矛盾对扮演妓♥女♥是否是个好主意这件事
I was very conflicted about whether it was a good idea to be playing a hooker.
在我们开始拍摄之前
Before we started shooting,
我来到纽约 花了一周的时间和应♥召♥女郎和女士们在一起
I came to New York and spent a week with call girls and madams,
真的是在黑暗世界的深处
really in the bowels of that dark world.
有一种艰辛
There was a hardness
对他们来说 这是一种痛苦的观察
to them that was painful to watch.
没有一个皮条客看了我两次
Not one pimp looked at me twice,
甚至都没向我眨过眼睛
didn’t even wink at me.
这对我来说 正是对我的不安全感的反馈
And what that said to me was, it played right to my insecurities,
“他们知道”
“They know…
我只是一个上层阶级的特权者 ”
I’m just an upper-class, privileged pretender.”
这就是我想对Alan Pakula说的
And that’s what motivated me to say to Alan Pakula,
“我只是我不我不知道我是否能扮演这个角色 ”
“I just… I don’t… I don’t know if I can play this character.
你应该用费伊杜纳 ”
And you should hire Faye Dunaway.”
她走到我面前说:“艾伦 我不想干了 ”
She came up to me and she said, “Alan, I want out.
我不知道我在做什么 ”
I don’t know what I’m doing.”
“我只是觉得我错了 ”
And “I just think I’m wrong for this.
我认为这是行不通的 ”
I think it’s not gonna work.”
找别人 ”
Get somebody else.”
我说 “我不会让你退出的 ”
And I said, “I’m not letting you out.”
如果没有简 我是不可能完成这个蓝图的

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!