如果我们结束了 那么一切都结束了
If it’s over with us, it’s over!
好吧 你在说什么?你连争取都不愿意去争取吗?
Well, what are you saying? That you’re not even gonna make the effort?
我想说的是
What I’m saying is…
-我不属于这房♥子 -请
-I don’t belong in this house! -Please…
他们说我也不属于那里
And they’re saying that I don’t belong over there!
你知道 你想成为爱国分子的一部分
You know, you wanna be a part of it and patriotic,
然后出去
and go out and…
试图为自己的爱国行为做出证明 然后
get your licks in at the US of A, and…
当你到达那里的时候
and… when you get over there,
这是完全不同的情况
it’s a totally different situation.
我的意思是
I mean…
你会一夜之间成长起来
…you grow up real quick,
因为你所看到的是 嗯
because all you’re seeing is, um,
很多人死于非命
a lot of death.
有士兵回来后感觉
There were soldiers who came back feeling
他们当初就不应该离开
that they should never have gone.
也有男人
There were also men,
即使他们身体受到了伤害
even though they were physically damaged,
回来的之后仍然是坚定的信徒
who came back still staunch believers.
我觉得
I feel…
我像同情他们
just as compassionate for them as I do
一样同情其他士兵
for the other soldiers.
对那些在越南的人 那些
To men who were, in Vietnam, who…
我伤害过得
who I hurt
或者是因为我的原因给他们加剧了痛苦
or whose pain I caused to…
因为我说过或我做过的事情
to deepen because of things that I said or I did, uh…
我觉得我应该向他们道歉
I-I feel that I owe them an apology.
我的本意是绝不会伤害他们或使他们的处境更糟
My intentions were never to hurt them or make their situation worse.
但是 恰恰相反
It was… It was the contrary.
我试图帮助结束这场杀戮 结束战争
I was trying to help end the killing, end the war.
但有时我也会粗心大意
But there were times when I was thoughtless and careless about it,
我 很抱歉我伤害了他们
and I’m… and I am… very sorry that I hurt them,
我想向他们和他们的家人道歉
and I want to apologize to them and to their families.
在回家的路上
During the time that it took to make Coming Home,
我在拍其他电影
I was making other movies.
但很多时候 我和汤姆在路上
But a lot of that time, I was on the road with Tom.
汤姆说:“我们必须到基层去
Tom said, “We have to go to the grassroots.
“我们必须与沉默的大多数人对话
“We have to speak to the silent majority.
“我们来一个60个城市的旅行
“Let’s do a 60-city tour,
历时三个多月 横跨美国 ”
over three months, across the United States.”
几周内 我们掀起了印度支那和平运动
And within weeks, we created the Indochina Peace Campaign.
我们会睡在别人的房♥子里 你知道 那种水床
We would sleep in people’s houses, you know, waterbeds.
有时候 我们睡在一张双人床上
Sometimes, we were both sq… in a twin bed.
在一个去布法罗房♥车里
And it was in a motor home, driving toward Buffalo,
当我怀上特洛伊的时候
when I became impregnated with Troy.
我记得我们打电♥话♥给汤姆的母亲 琼 她住在底特律
I remember we called Tom’s mother, Jean, who lived in Detroit,
她说 “你知道 你们必须要结婚 ”
and she said, “You know, you’re gonna have to get married.”
我们认为那是资产阶级作风
We thought that was bourgeois.
她说 “你知道 当你去看约翰尼卡森的节目时你会怎么做?
And she said, “You know, what are you gonna do when you go on The Johnny Carson Show
你想谈论越南 而他们想谈论
“and you wanna talk about Vietnam, and they wanna talk about
“你怎么能未婚先孕?”这说得通
“how come you’re having a kid and you’re not married,” and that made sense.
我那时候真的很想结婚 说实话
I really wanted to get married, to tell you the truth.
我们这边有一个同性恋主教
We got a gay Episcopal priest,
我认为他真的是超凡脱俗因为他为我们主持婚礼
who I think was thrown out of the order for having married us,
而且 呃 生活还在继续
and, uh, life went on.
和特洛伊 我们不希望他
With Troy, we didn’t want him to have
随他父亲的姓或是姓方达
his father’s name just automatically, or Fonda.
你知道 我们想让他有一个没有那么多包袱的名字
You know, we wanted him to have a name that didn’t have so much baggage.
所以我们给他起名叫特洛伊·奥·多诺万加提
So we named him Troy O’Donovan Garity.
我的父母做出了一个深思熟虑的决定
My parents made a conscious decision to…
让我们的生活尽可能地平常
try to live as… normally as possible.
我知道这听起来很疯狂 因为他们本来就是是不平常的
I know that that sounds insane because they are abnormal.
啊 获奖者是简·方达出演的《回家之时》
–Ah! The winner is Jane Fonda in Coming Home !
我们开着旅行车去参加了奥斯卡颁奖典礼
We went to the Oscars in a station wagon.
我父亲穿着世界上最丑的衣服
My father wore like a… the ugliest suit in the world.
我穿着一件t恤 套着一件手工做的燕尾服
I wore a T-shirt with a hand-screened tuxedo thing on it.
这不是一个平常的家庭的样子
It wasn’t a normal family unit.
你懂得 我们不是在热带天堂度假
Like we weren’t, you know, vacationing in tropical paradises.
我们是在冲突地区度假
You know, we holidayed in conflict zones.
我是
I was potty-trained
在越南的一个防空洞里接受了幼儿坐便训练
in a Vietnam bomb shelter.
我只是被迫跟他们走
I just got dragged with them.
在爱尔兰共和军那 就是 在贝尔法斯特的据点
Being in an IRA, you know, stronghold in Belfast,
一个男孩的拇指被砍掉了
and a boy comes in with his thumb blown off,
我父亲蘸了一下他的血 说:“这是你的血 ”
and my father dips the rag in his blood and’s like, “This is your blood.
这是你的血 这是你的人♥民♥ ”
This is your fucking blood. This is your people.”
我那时五岁
I’m five.
我的前13个生日聚会都被办成筹款活动
My first 13 birthday parties were fundraisers.
任何代表着 像是财富或者企业什么的
Anything that represented, like, wealth or establishment
都会用怀疑的目光审视
was looked on with a lot of skepticism.
“如果我的同事不能有游泳池
“If my coworker can’t have a pool,
“那我就不会有他妈的游泳池 ”
“then I’m not having a fucking pool.
我宁愿把这笔钱交给联合农场工人基金 ”
I’d rather take that money give it to the United Farm Workers Fund.”
你知道 我居住的这个房♥子 还住着另一个大家庭
You know, the house I was raised in, there was another family living…
和我们一起
in the house with us.
有时候 我们让组织者睡在门廊
Uh, at times, we had organizers sleeping on the porch.
一次有一个无家可归的人睡在房♥子的地板上
There was a homeless person that slept under the house.
我有时会回家 他穿着
I would come home sometimes and he would be dressed in…
我父母的衣服
in my parents’ clothes. Yeah.
他们的房♥子一个接着一个
They were one house right next to the other.
这边是夜行人 另一边是马♥克♥思♥主义作家
Nightwatchman on one side and a Marxist writer on the other.
我们住的这所房♥子 我爸爸叫它棚屋
And we lived in this house that was… my dad called it a shack.
我们有救世军给的的家具
We had furniture from Salvation Army.
我们没有洗碗机 也没有洗衣机
We had no dishwasher, we had no washing machine.
那时
It was…
我很高兴 我为自己感到骄傲
I was very happy, and I was very proud of myself.
我想让汤姆知道我能做到
I wanted to show Tom that I could do it.
我不想让他认为我娇生惯养
I didn’t want him to think that I was… spoiled.
我们深爱着对方
We were intensely in love,
追求共同的生活目标
pursuing common life goals.
这个社区到处都是积极分子
The neighborhood was swollen with activists, of all kinds.
这是一个非常小的 小版本的公社
It was a really, tiny, little version of… of a commune.
我一直被邀请去
I would be invited all the time to come
吃晚餐但其实没有晚餐
for dinner and there was no dinner.
我想说 “我不明白 晚餐怎么了?”
And I was like, “I don’t understand, what happened to dinner?”
只有浓缩咖啡 不是简做的
It was espresso. Jane’s not a cook.
我们坐进我们的小大众甲壳虫
We would get in our little Volkswagen Bug,
去当地的披萨店
and go to the local pizzeria and…
太棒了
it was wonderful.
但是当你与
But when you combine
名人热度扯上关系
the fever of celebrity
伴随着
with the furor of…
反战热 额 那些活动
anti-war, um, activities,
嗯 我们家周围一些人势头正劲
um, there was a lot of heat around our home.
我永远不会忘记我们回家的那一天
I will never forget the day that we came home,
房♥子里一个完好的抽屉都没有
there wasn’t a drawer in the house
并不只是翻翻东西 掀翻家具这样
that wasn’t pulled out and turned over.
所有壁橱里的东西都被撕毁了
Everything was torn out of the closets.
文件被带走 桌子被打开
Papers were rifled, desks were open.
我的意思是 有人闯入了我们的房♥子
I mean, someone had gone through our house.
明目张胆的 弄得一团糟
And it was done so blatantly, and mess…
我的意思是 我知道这是为了吓唬我们
I mean, I knew that it was… to scare us.
我意识到我被跟踪了
I was aware that I was being followed,
而且他们几乎不去掩饰
and there was very little attempt to disguise it.
会有这些家伙戴着深色眼镜穿着风衣
There would be these guys in trench coats with dark glasses.
联邦调查局的人会跟踪凡妮莎到学校
The FBI would follow Vanessa to school.
我越看他们的行为 我的态度就愈发坚定
The more I saw them the more my attitude was,
“你以为我会回头吗?”
“You think I’m gonna back down?”
我的意思是 这只是其中一件事
I mean, that’s one thing, you know,
每次人们认为他们会吓到我
every time people think they’re gonna scare me,