Meantime, I shall safeguard it here.
你回来之前 我会放这儿好好保管
Do you trust me to keep it?
你信任我吗
Not a whit, sir.
丝毫不信 先生
You are not to be trusted at all.
你一点也不可信
Jane Eyre.
简·爱
I’ve twice done you wrong.
我对你做过两件错事
And I broke the vow I made to Reed.
我违背了对里德的诺言
Please, don’t think of it.
请你不要再想了
Open that box.
打开那盒子
Take out the letter and read it.
把信拿出来读一读
“Madam,
夫人
“Will you have the goodness to send me
能否烦请您给我
“the address of my niece, Jane Eyre?
我的侄女 简·爱的地址呢
“I desire her to come to me at Madeira.
我希望她能到马德拉来
“Fortune has blessed my endeavors,
我一生奋斗 积攒财富
“And as I am childless, I wish to adopt her
因我膝下无儿 希望能收养她
“And bequeath her at my death whatever I may have to leave.
死后能将财产馈赠于她
“Yours, John Eyre, Madeira.”
您的 约翰·爱 于马德拉
This is dated three years ago. Why did I never hear of it?
日期是三年前的 为什么我毫不知情
Because I wrote and told him
因为我回信说
you’d died of typhus at Lowood School.
你因伤寒死在了洛伍德学校
You called the names of the dead down upon me.
你为我召来了死神
You cursed me.
你诅咒了我
I would have loved you if you’d let me.
要是你愿意的话 我本可以爱你
You were born to be my torment.
你生来就是我的灾星
Then love me or hate me as you will.
那随你是爱或是恨吧
You have my full and free forgiveness.
无论如何我已经完全宽恕了你
Be at peace.
保重
My dear uncle,
亲爱的叔父
Some years ago, my Aunt Reed
数年前 里德舅妈
mistakenly informed you that I had died.
错把我的死讯告诉你
I am writing to tell you that I’m very much alive
我得告诉你 我一直活得很好
and gratified to find I have a relative.
而且很高兴发现原来我还有亲人
I look forward to our correspondence,
希望我们能保持联络
hoping one day we may meet.
期待有一天能与你相见
I’m currently living at Thornfield Hall,
我目前住在桑菲尔德庄园
where I am governess to the ward of Mr. Edward Fairfax Rochester.
担任爱德华·费尔法克斯·罗切斯特先生家的家庭教师
Ah. There you are.
你回来了
Just like one of your tricks,
像变戏法一样
to steal in along with the twilight.
在暮色中偷偷溜进来
If I dared I’d touch you to see if you were real.
我想壮起胆子碰一下你 看你是不是真人
Come, Jane.
来 简
Stay your wandering feet at a friend’s threshold.
在朋友的门前停下你闲逛的脚步
Thank you, Mr. Rochester, for your great kindness.
谢谢 罗切斯特先生 您真好
I’m strangely glad to get back again.
回到这里来 我没想到自己竟然很开心
There’s been nothing official yet,
虽然还没有正式宣布
but he’s ordered jewels from his bank
但他从银行的保险库里取回了很多珠宝
and he’s making preparations to travel to Europe.
还在计划去欧洲旅行
Mademoiselle.
小姐
He’s taken to singing,
他越来越爱唱歌♥
the operas Miss Ingram favors so well.
英格拉姆小姐又很喜欢歌♥剧
We’ll hear their announcement soon, I’m sure.
我想我们很快就会听到他们的喜讯
You are to be married.
你要结婚了
I see Mrs. Fairfax has intimated my intention
看来费尔法克斯夫人已经告诉大家
to put my neck into the sacred noose.
我要甘心套上婚姻的枷锁了
Adèle should go to school,
阿黛拉该上学了
and I must seek another situation.
我也要去另谋高就
Congratulations, sir.
恭喜你 先生
Thornfield is a pleasant place in spring, isn’t it?
春天里的桑菲尔德真的很美 不是吗
Yes, sir.
是的 先生
You’ll be sorry to part with it.
离开这里是你的一大憾事
It’s always the way with events in life.
天下无不散之筵席
No sooner have you got settled
每次你好不容易安定下来
than a voice cries, “Rise and move on!”
总会有个声音喊道 “继续前进”
I’ll find you a new situation, Jane,
让我来给你换个工作吧 简
one I hope that you’ll accept.
希望你能接受
I shall be ready when your order to march comes.
只等你一声令下 我马上准备离开
Must I really lose a faithful paid subordinate such as yourself?
我真的要失去你这位忠心耿耿的下属吗
You must.
没错
We’ve been good friends, haven’t we?
我们也是好朋友 不是吗
Yes, sir.
是的 先生
I’ve a strange feeling with regard to you,
我对你有种很奇怪的感觉
as if I had a string somewhere under my left ribs,
好像我左边肋骨这里有一根细线
tightly knotted to a similar string in you.
另一端紧紧系着你
And if you were to leave,
要是你走了
I’m afraid that cord of communion would snap.
我怕这根交心的线会突然断开
And I’ve a notion that I’d take to bleeding inwardly.
那我大概会随之心中流血不止
As for you, you’d forget me.
但是你 你会忘了我
How?
怎么忘了你
I have lived a full life here.
我在这里过得很充实
I have not been trampled on.
没有人践踏我的尊严
I have not been petrified.
没有人僵化我的思想
I have not been excluded from every glimpse of what is bright.
没有被阻止和那些出色的人交流
I have known you, Mr. Rochester,
我还认识了您 罗切斯特先生
and it strikes me with anguish to be torn from you.
您这样将我驱逐 让我痛苦万分
Then why must you leave?
那你为什么要走呢
Because of your wife!
因为你的妻子
I have no wife.
我没有妻子
But you are to be married.
但你很快会有
Jane, you must stay.
简 你得留下来
And become nothing to you?
留下来当一个对你无足轻重的人吗
Am I a machine without feelings?
你当我是没有感情的机器吗
Do you think that because I am poor, obscure,
难道就因为我一贫如洗 默默无闻
plain and little
长相平庸 个子瘦小
that I am souless and heartless?
我就没有灵魂 没有真心了吗
I have as much soul as you and full as much heart.
我的心灵跟你一样丰富 我的心胸跟你一样充实
And if God had blessed me with beauty and wealth,
要是上帝赐予我一点姿色和充足的财富
I could make it as hard for you to leave me
我本可以让你对我不能自拔
as it is for I to leave you.
就像现在我对你一样
I’m not speaking to you through mortal flesh.
我现在不是以血肉之躯和你说话
It is my spirit that addresses your spirit,
而是我的灵魂同你的灵魂在对话
as if we’d passed through
就仿佛我们两人穿过坟墓
the grave and stood at God’s feet, equal,
站在上帝脚下 彼此平等
as we are. As we are.
本该如此 本该如此
I am a free human being with an independent will,
我是一个有独♥立♥意志的自♥由♥人
which I now exert to leave you.
现在我自愿离开你
Then let your will decide your destiny.
那就用你的意志来决定自己的命运吧
I offer you my hand, my heart.
我给你我的手 我的心
Jane,

I ask you to pass through life at my side.
我希望你与我共度余生
You are my equal and my likeness.
你是与我相等又相像的另一半
Will you marry me?
你愿意嫁给我吗
Are you mocking me?
你在嘲笑我吗
Do you doubt me?
你在怀疑我吗
Entirely!
非常怀疑
Your bride is Miss Ingram.
你的新娘可是英格拉姆小姐
Miss Ingram?
英格拉姆小姐吗
She is the machine without feelings.
她才是没有感情的机器
It’s you. You rare, unearthly thing.
是你 你才是世间罕有
Poor and obscure as you are,
这么身无分文 默默无闻
please accept me as your husband.
请让我做你的丈夫吧
I must have you for my own.
今生只属于我一人
You wish me to be your wife?
你想我做你的妻子吗
I swear it.
我发誓
You love me?
你爱我吗
I do.
我爱你
Then, sir, I will marry you.
那 先生 我愿意嫁给你
Good night. Good night, my love.
晚安 晚安了 宝贝
Good night.
晚安
Am I a monster?
我是妖怪吗

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!