你舅母急切要见你因此我写信告知
I wrote to you because your aunt is most anxious to see you.
她的一家陷入困境了 Eyre小姐
The family’s in gr eat trouble, Miss Eyre.
你的表兄John Reed上个月在他伦敦宅邸的卧室中去世了
John Reed, your cousin , died last month At his chambers in London.
他去世了?怎么会?
He died? How?
据说他误交损友 挥霍无道以致毁掉了自己的健康
They say he ruined his health with bad company.
你舅母因他的死而一病不起
it was his death that brou ght on your aunt’s illness.
她是我姐姐Mary
This is my sister Mary.
Mary 我现在就带Eyre小姐去看望她舅母
Uh, Mary, I am taking Miss Eyre to see her aunt
我很快就会回来
I shall be back presently.
你可是
You are like
你可是
Why, you are like
我是Jane Eyre – Jane
I am Jane Eyre – Jane.
我病入膏肓了
I am very ill.
我内心困惑
My mind is much troubled
我做了两件对不起你的事
by two wrongs I have done you.
其一 我没有遵守我对丈夫许下的承诺
One Is in breaking the promise I made to my husband
我没有视你如己出 抚养你成人
that I would bring you up as one of my own.
另外 去我书桌
The other Go to my writing case.
把化妆盒里面的信拿出来
Take out the letter you will find there.
读一读
Read the letter.
夫人:恳请你告知我侄女Jane Eyre
“Madam, will you have the goodness to send me the addres s of my niece, Jane Eyre
目前的住址与近况
“and to tell me how she is?
我渴望她尽快能到访我在马德里的宅邸
“It is my intention to write shortly and ask her to come to me at Madeira.
我无妻无后 唯望有生之年收她作养女
“As I am unmarried and childless, I wish to adopt her during my life
并在我死后继承我所有财产
“and bequeath her, at my death, whatever I may have to leave.”
这是三年前的信
This is dated three years ago.
为什么你从不通知我
Why did he never write to me?
我回信给他
I wrote to him.
我说我对你一无所知
I told him I knew nothing about you.
现在 随便你怎么做吧
Now, act as you please.
写信给他
Write to him.
揭发我的谎言
Tell him I am lied.
你是我命中克星
You were born to be my tormentor.
但我没有记恨
I’m not vindictive
我愿意爱你
let us be friends.
爱我也好 恨我也好
Love me, then, or hate me, as you will.
总之你已经彻底得到我宽恕了
You have my full and free forgiveness.
真希望简留下来
I wish Miss Eyre would come back.
小姐!
Oh, mademoiselle!
我以为你不会回来了
I thought you had left me for good!
我答应过我会回来
I told you I’d come baCk.
你说只去一星期 但走了足有一个月了!
you said you’d be gone a week, and it’s almost a month.
原谅我 Adele
Forgive me, Adele.
Rochester先生要送我去学校
Mr. Rochester is sending me away to school
我怕去了后再也见不着你了
I was so afraid I would be gone and never see you again.
学校?
to school?
去巴黎的女子学校
To Paris — to a school for young ladies.
去告诉厨师Eyre小姐回来了
Go tell cook Miss Eyre has returned.
我们去另一个地方用餐
We’ll need another place at dinner.
我会叫她做一个特别的蛋糕
I’ll ask her to make a special cake
你终于回来了
so you came back after all.
我遵守了诺言
As I promised.
遵守了诺言
As you promised.
你今晚特别安静
You were very quiet this evening.
在想什么?
What is on your miNd?
想着很多 先生
many things, sir —
舅母的去世 然后我回到了Thornfield
my aunt’s death Being back at Thornfield.
还有吗?
And?
Adele说你要送她去学校
Adele tells me you’re sending her away to school.
对!
Yes.
你不认为是个好主意吗?
It’s a good idea , don’t you think?
毕竟巴黎是她的家
Paris is her home, after all.
我能问一下原因吗?先生
May I ask why, sir?
我认为你也猜到了吧
I thought, perhaps, you might have guessed.
是
Perhaps.
是因为你要结婚了?
Perhaps because you’re going to be married
没错
exactly.
正是
Precisely.
没什么事能瞒得过你敏锐的双眼
With your usual acuteness, you’ve hit the nail straight on the head.
我正是要结婚呢
I am to be married
也意味着Adele要被送到学校
Which means Adele will go away to school.
你也得找新工作了
And you will need to find a new situation.
我会马上去 登广♥告♥的
I will advertise.. . Directly.
不用 你不用去了
No, you will not.
我为你找到合适的岗位了
I’ve heard of a position that might suit you —
一个爱尔兰家庭 五个女孩的家庭教师
governess to five daughters of a family in Ireland.
路途遥远啊
It’s a long way off.
但是没关系
No matter.
你这样的性格不会畏惧航海的
A girl of your sense would not object to the voyage
我畏惧的不是航海
not the voyage, but the distance,
是距离与大海的遥远使会我离开
and then the sea is such a barrier.
离开什么?Jane
From What, Jane?
英格兰
From england, sir
还有Thornfield
And from Thornfield
和
And —
有时候我对你有种莫名奇妙的感觉
sometimes I have the strange st feeling about you,
尤其像现在我们互相靠近的时候
especially when you’re near me, as you are now.
我仿佛觉得体内有根弦
It feels as though I had a string,
缠绕在我左胸肋骨 我心房♥的位置上
tied here under my left rib where my heart is,
与你身上相同的部位紧紧地维系在一起
tightly knotted to you , in a similar fashion.
你去爱尔兰以后
And when you go to Ireland,
我们相隔两岸
with all that distance between us
我们的心弦会双双折断
I’m afraid that this cord will be snapped.
我内心会趟血
And I shall bleed inwardly.
而你通情达礼 你会可以忘却
But you are sensible. You will forget me.
不会!永远不会
Never. I’ll never forget.
我但愿自己从未降生
I wish I’d never been born.
从未来过Thornfield
I wish I’d never come to Thornfield.
那边的庄园和这一样大
There are other houses just as fine.
你怎能这么愚蠢?
How can you be so stupid?!
你怎能这么冷漠?
How can you be so cruel?!
我虽然出身寒微 相貌平庸
I may be poor and plain,
但我不是没有感情的!
but I’m not without feelings.
并不是这里的大屋 而是这里的生活
It’s not the house, but the life I lived here.
在这里我不会任人践踏
I was not trampled on.
我不会遭受遗弃
I was not excluded.
我一直被平等地对待
I was — I was treated as — as an equal.
没错 Jane
And so you are, jane
是这样
and so
是这样
And so
对的 先生
Yes. So, sir.
但现在不一样了 你要结婚了
And yet, not so, for you’re a married man,
或者说将要结婚了
or as good as married.
让我走! – 求你 冷静些
Let me go. Jane, be still
不要挣扎
don’t struggle so.
你现在就像拼命破笼而出的鸟儿
You’re like a wild bir d clawing at its cagE.
我不是笼中鸟 我是自♥由♥的人
I’m no caged bird. I’m a free human being —
有我独♥立♥的意志
independent with a will of my own.
那么留下
Then stay.
留下来做我妻子
Stay and marry me.
你怎能拿我开心?
How dare you make fun of me.
我是真心的
I mean what I say.
留在Thornfield 做我的新娘子
Stay at Thornfield . Be my wife.
Ingram小姐怎么办?
And what of Miss Ingram?
我根本没爱过Ingram 她也不爱我
Miss Ingram — I don’t love Miss Ingram, nor does she love me
Jane 你很优秀 几近完美无暇
Jane, you strange, almost unearthly thing
我全心全意地爱你
I love you as my own flesh.
我求你嫁给我
I beg of you to marry me.
说 “Edward 我发誓”
” say, “Edward, give me my name.
说 “Edward 我愿嫁给你”
Say, “Edward, I will marry you.”