As for the other three young men, Governor Wilder is considering clemency
也考虑赦免吗?
for them as well. Ed?
我们出来后互相拥抱庆祝
We was out, and there was hugs and dapping each other up,
我们说 “去逛商场吧 我要买♥♥些新衣服”
and, “Let’s go to the mall. I need some new clothes.”
从监狱出来后
After I was incarcerated,
老实说 我根本不想再去回忆那晚的事情
I never even thought about dwelling on that night, ever again, honestly,
因为…
because…
我受到的伤害已经无法挽回
the damage to me was already done.
我曾收到了几麻袋的信
I’ve got so many bags of letters,
它们来自全国各地的橄榄球和篮球教练
from football and basketball coaches all over the country,
但这件事之后 他们就不再联络了
but when this happened to him they stopped calling.
我所想的就是再来一次的机会
All I thought about was getting a second chance.
很简单
That was it.
那时似乎没有人
It was almost like no one expected him
想跟他有任何关联
to ever amount to anything.
我知道会有人
I knew that there would be somebody.
会有学校愿意接受他
There would be some school that would come to him,
我所需要的就是一个而已
and all I needed was one.
我从未去招募过阿伦
I never recruited Allen at all.
是他们游说我的
They recruited me.
乔治城大学1972年至1999年教练 约翰汤普森
起初我有些不情愿
I was a little reluctant in the beginning.
他母亲让其他人离开
And his mother asked the people to leave the room.
单独跟我聊了一下
And she and I talked,
她说她很担心他以后的生活
and she was concerned for his life, and she said
我自己作为一名父亲 对此感同身受
that I certainly, being a parent myself, could connect with that.
作为非裔美国人我非常理解她
Being an African-American, I could connect with that.
这是我儿子
This is my son. They call him…
他们都叫你什么?
What do they call you?
查克
Chuck.
-另一个绰号♥ -小甜甜
-The other thing. -Honey Man.
小甜甜
Honey Man.
正是她说服了我
She, more than anybody, convinced me
如果有机会能让他上学
that if there was any possibility of getting him
我应该让他来试一试
in school, that I ought to take a shot at it.
汤普森教练挽救了我的命运
Coach Thompson saved my life.
那时我刚从监狱回到家
I had just came home from jail.
我需要处理好家里的事
I had to come home and get my school thing together
还需要完成学业
and graduate and whatever,
然后我直接去了那里
then I went straight there.
我当然会有所担心
I was worried. Certainly, you worry, you know.
肩负着保护这所大学
You have a responsibility to protect the university,
保护球队的责任
protect your program,
而现在却是在冒险
and you were taking a chance.
我尊重他的人生轨迹
I respected the path he’s had to take in life,
而那也是一条非常艰辛的道路
which has been a very tough path.
在乔治城的那几年我退居二线
The Georgetown years, I really just took a step back
因为我知道 约翰汤普森会来掌控局面的
because I knew John Thompson would come in and take over.
我离开时他会接管一切的
Where I left off, he would come in and take over.
他是我的偶像 我的英雄
My idol, my hero,
是我离家在外时的父亲
my father figure away from home.
他不让别人靠近我
He kept people away from me,
让我做个普普通通的大学生
and he let me be a college student.
关于他的一切我并不是全都赞同
I didn’t necessarily agree with everything about him,
我知道他也一样
and I’m certain he didn’t about me,
但我们互相尊重
but I like to think that we both respected one another.
他从来不会对我发脾气
He never was the type of guy to jump on me,
尤其是当着别人的面 从来没有
especially in front of people, never did that,
但当我在学校惹麻烦时
but when I messed up in school,
他会因为把我招进学校
and he put himself on the line
而把自己放在风口浪尖
for me to come there and be
私下里他就会狠狠教训我
successful, when we got alone, he got in my ass.
“这就是你想要的生活吗?”
“This what you want out of your life, huh?”
“你想再回到贫民窟吗?
“Wanna go back down there to that ‘hood?
你希望你母亲辛苦一生吗?你想让你妹妹
You want your mom to struggle her whole life, don’t you? You want your sisters
继续受苦吗?”
“to stay in that sewer, that hell hole.”
“那就是你想要的生活?”
“That’s what you want out of your life, huh?”
自然而然地 我就会好好表现了
And automatically, man, I would just… I would shape up.
当我看到他在学校的表现
Once I saw how he acted in school,
还有他跟队友在一起的样子
how he acted with his teammates,
我很高兴 自己当初曾为他冒险一搏
I was very, very glad that I had rolled the dice.
他就像是我身边的强大力场
He was like that force field I had around me
会替我遮挡大家对我的负面言论
when everybody was coming at me with all the negative things.
人们总会做一些事情
People did things.
会说些你不爱听的话
Folks said things that you wouldn’t want to hear
都是关于他的牢狱之灾
about his being incarcerated.
那些事情的确对他产生了外在的困扰
Those weren’t things that bothered him outwardly.
我相信他肯定听到了
I’m certain he heard ’em,
但我知道
but I knew that this
他拥有强大的内心 他打球的时候
was a tough kid, mentally, and that’s the same thing
也会有那样的事情发生
that happened when he played.
我的名字吗?
What’s my name?
迈克尔·乔丹
Michael Jordan.
今晚是球探之夜
It is scout night, as they take
他们要考察两位国内最优秀的球员
a look at two of the very best in the country,
分别是雷阿伦和阿伦·艾弗森
in Ray Allen and Allen Iverson.
很难想像 像阿伦那样的轻量级选手
You don’t look at somebody that’s flyweight like Allen,
能有多强大的力量
and associate that with strength,
但他证明了 这个理论是完全错误的
but he’s proven that theory totally wrong.
一对三的压倒性局面
There’s that One-Two, One-One pressure.
艾弗森
Iverson.
阿伦·艾弗森爆发了
Allen Iverson, right out of the gate!
来了 另辟蹊径
Here we go. Length of the court, drive the other way!
他在篮下拥有强大的爆发力
When he gets to the basket, he’s so explosive.
像是一束刺眼的阳光
Give a little daylight!
艾弗森来到篮下
Now Iverson around
球进了…
the trap, inside now!
一流的动作
Oh, what a big-time move!
太赞了 夺人眼球 轰动全场
Super, scintillating, sensational!
艾弗森
Iverson!
跳起来 扣篮
Oh, up, up and away!
谁都拦不住他 布拉德内斯勒
Jam city! Nobody stopped the ball, Brad Kessler!
没有人能拦得住他
Nobody stopped the ball!
艾弗森再一次抢断
Again, another steal by Iverson.
他把球投了出去
And he throws it away.
阿伦·艾弗森单手投球
Allen Iverson with a one-hander.
现在只有艾弗森自己了
Now it’s Iverson alone.
他将会投出完美的一球
We got a good shot right here.
他投出了完美的一球
We got a good shot right here!
恭喜阿伦
Congratulations, Alec.
恭喜约翰汤普森
Congratulations John Thompson.
今晚的表现太棒了
Great performance tonight.
汤普森教练对我来说非常重要
Coach Thompson meant everything to me.
我取得的所有成绩都要归功于他
He’s a big-time reason for all the success that I’ve had.
与汤普森教练和家人仔细权衡之后
After carefully weighing my options with Coach Thompson,
我决定进入NBA
my family, I’ve decided to enter the NBA.
我觉得
I felt like there was
我没有理由不去照顾我爱的人
no reason for me not to be able to take care of the people that I love.
为了跟我的至亲在一起 我要离开乔治城
My immediate family requires me to leave Georgetown.
当他离开时 我并不觉得那是个明智的决定
No, when he left, I didn’t think it was a wise decision,
但还是支持他的选择
but I supported him with it.
任何情况下
I never,
我都不担心他打球的能力
under any circumstances, worried about his ability to play basketball.
我担心的是 他在一天中剩下的22个小时会怎么样
I worried about the other 22 hours in the day.
我在NBA待过
I was in the NBA.
我知道在那里会接触到什么
I know the kinds of things you’re exposed to.
我担心他 是否足够成熟
I worried for him, in terms of whether he was mature
去应对和处理这些事情
enough or old enough to deal with it and to handle it.
欢迎答案 阿伦·艾弗森上场
Please welcome The Answer, Allen Iverson!
你曾因为早早辍学而遭人批评
You got criticized for leaving school early.
我不得不那样做 因为我妹妹患有癫痫
I had to leave. My sister was suffering from seizures,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!