他会教任何人打球
He could teach anybody.
他只想为你好
He just wanted you to be good.
杰米人很好 他曾是我的小兄弟
Jamie was cool. He was my little man,
他是黑人社区里唯一的白人小孩
the only white boy in an all-black neighborhood.
他经常被人找麻烦
He used to get picked on a lot, or whatever,
我只是想照顾他
and I used to just look out for him,
确保他没事
make sure he was all right.
宝哥使我的生活变得更加轻松
Bubba made it a lot easier for me,
因为我们是最好的朋友
’cause me and him, we was just best friends.
他总是庇护杰米 还教给他很多
Bubba took Jamie under his wing and taught him
邻居 琳达罗杰斯
运动方面的东西 宝哥经常在我们家过夜
a lot about sports, and Bubba spent the night with us a lot.
我记得有一次 我的头发变得卷曲
I remember one time, I was getting waves in my hair, whatever.
我就跟他说 你应该…
I was, like, “You know, what you do, man,
“用肥皂洗头
“you take…You wash your hair in soap,
然后一直梳你的头发
and then you just keep brushing it all the time, man,
这样就可以弄出卷发了”
and you’ll get waves or whatever.”
我记得那天把他按在洗脸池
And I remember one day just having him in the tub, like,
让他的头埋在洗脸池里给他洗头
had his head down in the tub, washing his hair and then,
然后打上发油 接着开始梳他的头发 想要…
you know, put grease in his hair and brush his hair trying…
想要给白人小孩弄出卷发
Trying to get white boy waves.
那就是我的小伙伴
That was my little partner though.
这么多年来 他们已经习惯了和杰米一起玩耍
They got so used to Jamie being one of them after so many years,
在后院打球的时候
that they’d be playing a ball game in the backyard,
他们也会管他叫小黑
and they’d be calling him a nigger, too,
因为黑人小孩之间就是那样互相称呼的
because that’s how the black kids talked to each other.
他的母亲特别好
His mom, she was the best.
当我母亲不在家 或我进不去家里时
When my mom wasn’t home, or I couldn’t get in the house, something like that, you know,
她会照顾我
she was right there for me.
总是为我煮饭
Cooked for me all the time, you know.
我做了很多鱼肉
I fried a lot of fish and
鸡肉 还有带骨猪排
chicken and pork chops, too.
他真的是个好孩子
He was always a real good kid.
他总是关照比他年幼的孩子
He always cared about the younger ones.
总是为他们着想
He always looked out for them.
当我跟他在一起时 我总能看到他有那样的表现
When I was with Bubba, that’s what I always saw.
她对我的爱超越了一切
She loved me to death,
而我也一样爱她
and vice-versa.
阿伯丁小学
一切就从这里开始…
This is where it all started,
阿伯丁小学的后院
the back of Aberdeen Elementary School.
这个球场属于我的父亲
This was my father’s field.
经纪人 盖瑞“摩”摩尔
我父亲是阿伯丁父氏联盟的创始人之一
My dad was one of the people that started the Aberdeen Fathers League.
他们倾其一生
They were guys who dedicated their lives
希望通过橄榄球
to helping young boys grow
让小孩子成长为有责任感的大男人
to be responsible young men through football.
如今阿伦知道的很多东西
A lot of what Allen knows today
都是在这个球场学到的
was learned on this field.
莫改变了我们的命运
Mo meant a lot in our lives coming up.
很多人希望不再流落街头
A lot of guys just wanted to get off the streets
感觉自己在做一些积极的事情
and get up under him to feel like they were doing something positive.
阿伦和其他的孩子需要我
Allen and some of the other kids needed me
为他们做一些父亲通常会做的事
to do things that fathers would normally do.
我没有自己的亲生儿子
I never had a biological son,
但我感觉 跟他的关系就像是父子一样
but I felt that sort of connection with him.
把球捡起来
Pick it up, Bubba-Chuck!
见到阿伦的那一刻
From the moment I met Al,
我就觉得他不一般
I knew that he was special.
对我来说他很特别
He was special to me.
大部分跟他同龄的孩子 根本没办法
Most kids his age would not have been able
处理好他所经历的一切
to handle the things that he’s been able to endure.
我指的是他在大街上流浪 以及自己解决温饱的那段时间
I’m talking about the time that he spent on the streets, the times that he had to feed himself.
我觉得是上帝派我到他身边
I felt like God sent me you know, to him, and when
当我知道他很崇拜我时
I saw that he looked up to me,
我希望能积极地利用这一点
I wanted to use that in a positive way.
我曾告诉他 “你会成为具有非凡意义的人
I used to tell him, “You’re going to mean to people
“成为马丁路德金那样的人
“what people like Martin Luther King meant to people,
“成为马尔科姆艾克斯那样的人”
what Malcolm X meant to people.”
我很崇尚他对生活的态度
I just respected him so much for how he went
他有一份正职
about his life. He went to work, had a real job.
我见过他对他的独生女有多好
I saw how he treated his only daughter.
我非常相信他
I just believed in him,
我会很轻易地听从他的教诲
and it was easy for me to listen to him.
从第一天开始 他就希望马上投入战斗上场比赛
From day one, he actually wanted to jump right in and play.
他想要成为我的明星队员
He wanted to be my star player,
那种攻击性和热情
and that aggression and that enthusiasm
是我最欣赏他的地方
is what I admired most about him.
当我看到他在场上跳跃奔跑
And when I saw him dance and move,
彻底扭转场上局势
completely reverse his feel all the way back around
并且不让任何人碰到他
and not allow any of those kids to touch him,
那时我不禁感叹
that’s when I really said,
这个男孩确实不错
“Wow. This boy is somethin’.”
大约在他六岁的时候
When he was about six years old,
我见过他在发球时完成抢断
I saw him steal an inbound play
背向投球 球刚好落进了篮框
and shoot a shot behind his head, and it fell right down the basket.
他一直跑 从未转身
He kept running. He never turned around.
我就说“这孩子以后在篮球方面 肯定前途无量”
I said, “This young guy has a future in basketball.”
教练 鲍伯贝费尔
贝费尔有时会对我很严格
Barefield was, you know, tough on me at times.
每当早晨我上了车
When I got in the van in the morning,
如果我们的头发有几天没梳 他总是要
he always made me and my friends comb our hair.
我和我的朋友们梳头发
After not combing it for days.
他比同龄人要高出几个层次
He was several steps ahead of his age group at that time,
这一点很明显
and you could tell that.
查克一直都是个斗士 讨厌失败
Chuck was always a competitor, you know, hate to lose.
当他输了 我就会给他一个眼色
When he lost, I had to give him that eye,
行政人员 詹姆士“波”强森
然后说“这样不行”
you know what I’m talking about, and say, “All right now.”
但他一直很尊敬人
But he never was disrespectful.
你绝不可能说他是个无礼的孩子
Never could you say that he was a disrespectful kid.
他会在早晨6点30分来到我家
He’d be at my house at 6:30 in the morning,
边敲门边喊“快点兄弟 我们去篮球场打球吧”
knocking on the door. “Come on, man. Let’s go to the basketball court.”
我会说“才早晨7点啊”
I’m like, “Bubba, it’s 7:00 in the morning.”
他让自己全身心投入到运动中
He committed himself to sports.
他非常努力
He worked at it, and he worked at it
因为他知道那是他的出路
because he knew that was going to be his way out.
在他七年级时
When he was in the 7th grade,
很多高中都要争抢他
the high schools had what we call a turf war over him.
这两座城市的每所高中
Every high school in the two cities
都希望他能去自己的学校
wanted Chuck to come to their school.
但是之后 我八年级留级了
But then I failed the 8th grade.
我竟然在八年级时留级了
I failed the 8th grade, man.
我从未感到如此丢人
That was the most humiliating thing, ever.
我没有完成学业 我没有去学校
I just wasn’t getting it done, not coming to school
直到最后期限
till the last period,
因为那晚还有比赛要打
so I could play in a game that night.
我不喜欢学校
I didn’t like school.
尤其不喜欢上课时段
I especially didn’t like the hours.
莫看到了我身上的潜力
You know, Mo saw the potential that I had,
他觉得我在浪费生命
and he saw that I was ruining my life.
如果年轻人处在错误的地点 错误的时间
There were so many dangers of being young, and being at the wrong place
他们会面临诸多的危险 甚至可以轻易毁掉一生
at the wrong time could very easily cost you your life.
我在那条路上一直挣扎
And I was headed down that path,
做着一些不好的事情
just fighting all the time and, you know, just doing negative things.
我意识到这个时候
I knew that it was time for me
不应该只是尽到一个教练的责任
to be more than a coach to him.
他来找我并把我带到汉普顿
And he came and got me, took me to Hampton,
与他一起生活
and I lived with him.
汉普顿市中心
从贫民住♥宅♥区搬到真正的大房♥子
We went from the projects to a real house.
区别很大
It was a big difference.
我告诉阿伦
I told Al back then,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!