About an hour ago. I handed over all our cash.
大概一小时前 但现金都给银行了
All of it? Every cent of it,
全交了? 一文不剩
and still it was less than we owe them. Holy mackerel!
还是不够还 老天
And then I got scared, George, and closed the doors.
我慌了神 就把门关了
I… I…
我…
The whole town’s gone crazy.
这下小镇可热闹了
Yeah, hello?
喂?
George, it’s Potter.
乔治 是波特
Hello?
喂?
George, there is a rumor around town that you’ve closed your doors.
乔治 听说你们歇业了
Is that true?
真的吗?
Oh, well, I’m very glad to hear that.
听你这么一说 我真高兴
George, are you all right? Do you need any police?
乔治 你没事吧? 要我叫警♥察♥吗?
Police? What for?
干嘛叫警♥察♥?
Well, mobs get pretty ugly sometimes, you know.
暴民滋事 时尔会失去理智的
George, I’m going all out to help in this crisis.
乔治 我会全力帮你挺过去的
I’ve just guaranteed the bank sufficient funds to meet their needs.
我刚给了银行足够的资金 来满足顾客需求
They’ll close up for a week and then reopen.
银行歇业一周后会重新开业
He just took over the bank.
他刚接管了银行
I may lose a fortune,
我可能会损失一大笔钱
but I’m willing to guarantee your people, too.
但我想给你们公♥司♥储户资金援助
Just tell them to bring their shares over here,
叫他们尽管带你们公♥司♥股份来找我吧
and I will pay 50 cents on the dollar.
我愿意半价收♥购♥那些股份
You never miss a trick, do you, Potter?
你真是无所不用其极啊 波特
Well, you’re gonna miss this one.
但这次你不会得逞的
If you close your doors before 6:00 p.m., you will never reopen.
你们如果撑不过下午六点 就完蛋了
George, was it a nice wedding?
乔治 今天婚礼应该不错吧?
Gosh, I wanted to be there.
我真想参加
Yeah.
是啊
You can take this one off now.
这备忘戒指可以摘掉了
Now, just remember that this thing isn’t as black as it appeared.
事情并没有那么糟
I have some news for you, folks.
大家听着 我有事要宣布
I was just talking to old man Potter,
我刚跟老波特通了电♥话♥
and he’s guaranteed cash payments at the bank.
他给银行提供了资金
The bank’s gonna reopen next week.
下周银行就能重新营业了
But, George, I got my money here.
乔治 可我的钱存这里了
Did he guarantee this place?
他也给你们了吗?
Well, no, Charlie. I didn’t even ask him.
没有 查理 我问都没问
We don’t need Potter over here.
我不想波特伸魔掌到这里来
Then, I’ll take mine now.
我现在要把钱取走
No, but you’re…
不行啊 你们…
You’re thinking of this place all wrong,
你们误会了
as if I had the money back in a safe. The money’s not here.
好像我把钱锁进了保险箱似的 钱不在这儿
Well, your money’s in Joe’s house. That’s right next to yours.
钱都花在建乔的房♥子 你家附近那间
And in the Kennedy house and Mrs. Macklin’s house
钱还花在肯尼迪家的房♥子 麦克林太太的房♥子…
and 100 others.
钱都用在这百来人的房♥子上了
Why, you’re lending them the money to build,
你先借给他们盖房♥
and then, they’re gonna pay it back to you as best they can.
然后他们再尽力还钱给你
Now, what are you gonna do, foreclose on them?
你们这是干嘛? 逼债吗?
I got $242 in here,
我在这存了242美元
and $242 isn’t going to break anybody.
242美元不会使任何人破产的
Okay, Tom. All right.
好吧 汤姆
Here you are. You sign this. You’ll get your money in 60 days.
在这里签个字 60天后就可以拿钱了
Sixty days?
60天?
Now, that’s what you agreed to when you bought your shares.
这可是你入股时同意的
Tom! Tom, did you get your money? No.
汤姆…! 拿到钱没? 没有
Well, I did.
我拿到了
Old man Potter’ll pay 50 cents on the dollar for every share you’ve got.
波特愿意出半价买♥♥咱们手上的股票
Fifty cents on the dollar! Yes, cash!
半价! 对 现金支付
Well, what do you say?
你怎么看?
Now, Tom, you have to stick to your original agreement.
汤姆 你必须遵守当初约定
Now, give us 60 days on this.
60天后我们一定兑现给你
Okay, Randall. Are you going to go to Potter’s?
兰杜 我们走 上波特那吗?
Better to get half than nothing.
一半总比一个子儿都没有强
Tom! Tom!
汤姆…!
Randall! Now, Randall, wait! Wait.
兰杜…! 等等!
Now, listen. Now, listen to me. I beg of you not to do this thing.
听我说 求你们了 别去找波特
If Potter gets a hold of this Building and Loan,
一旦波特连这也控制了
there’ll never be another decent house built in this town.
镇上就再也盖不了像样的新房♥了
He’s already got charge of the bank.
他已经接管了银行
He’s got the bus line. He got the department stores.
公交和百货都是他的
And now he’s after us. Why? Well, it’s very simple.
这次他盯上这了 为什么? 很简单
Because we’re cutting in on his business, that’s why.
因为我们挡住他发财路了
And because he wants to keep you living in his slums
他想让你们继续在贫民窟里待着
and paying the kind of rent he decides.
租金全凭他来定
Joe, you had one of those Potter houses, didn’t you?
乔 你住过他那烂公♥寓♥吧?
Well, have you forgotten?
你难道忘了吗?
Have you forgotten what he charged you for that broken down shack?
你忘了他要你交多少租了?
Here, Ed, you know.
还有埃德 你一定记得
You remember last year when things weren’t going so well
去年市道不景气时…
and you couldn’t make your payments.
你实在还不上钱
Well, you didn’t lose your house, did you?
结果呢? 你还有房♥子住 对吧?
You think Potter would’ve let you keep it?
换作是波特的话 你的房♥子还能保住吗?
Can’t you understand what’s happening here?
你们还想不明白这回事吗?
Don’t you see what’s happening?
你们还看不清吗?
Potter isn’t selling. Potter’s buying, and why?
波特不是卖♥♥ 而是买♥♥ 为什么?
Because we’re panicky and he’s not. That’s why.
就因为我们慌作一团 而他却镇定自若
He’s picking up some bargain.
他这是浑水摸鱼拣便宜
Now we can get through this thing all right.
我们这次一定能挺过去的
We’ve got to stick together, though.
但我们一定要同舟共济
We’ve got to have faith in each other.
要彼此信任
But my husband hasn’t worked in over a year, and I need money.
可我丈夫一年多没工作了 我需要钱过日子呀
How am going to live until the bank opens?
我们要怎样才能撑到银行重新开业?
I got doctor bills to pay. I need cash.
我还要交医药费 我需要现金
I can’t feed my kids on faith.
光靠信念怎么能养活我的孩子?
How much do you need?
你们需要多少?
Hey! I got $2,000.
我这有两千美金
Here’s $2,000. This’ll tide us over till the bank reopens.
有了它 我们足以能撑到银行开门
All right, Tom, how much do you need? $242.
汤姆 你要多少? 242美金
Tom, just enough to tide you over until the bank reopens.
汤姆 少要点吧 撑到银行重开就行了
I’ll take $242.
我要242美元
There you are. That’ll close my account.
给你 这样我就销户了
Your account’s still here. That’s a loan.
你的帐户还可以用 这是借给你的
Okay. All right, Ed?
埃德 你呢?
I got $300 here, George.
乔治 我在这存了300美金
Now, Ed, what’ll it take till the bank opens? What do you need?
你需要多少能撑到银行开业? 你要多少?
Well, I suppose $20.
20美元吧
$20. Now you’re talking. Thanks, Ed. That’s fine.
这才象话嘛 谢谢你 埃德 给你20
All right, now, Mrs. Thompson, how much do you want?
汤普森太太 你要多少?
But it’s your own money, George.
乔治 那可是你自己的钱呀
Never mind about that. How much do you want?
没关系 你要多少?
I can get along with $20, all right. $20, fine.
20美元就够了 好的 20美元
And I’ll sign the paper. You don’t have to sign anything.
我签收条吧 不用签收条
I know you. You pay it when you can. That’s okay.
你为人我还不清楚吗? 等有钱了再还我
All right, Mrs. Davis? Could I have $17.50?
戴维斯太太 你呢? 能给我17美元50美分吗?
Bless your heart. Of course you can have it. You got 50 cents?
你真好 那当然可以了 你有50美分吗?
Seven… We’re gonna make it, George.
七… 乔治 我们快要挺过去了
…six… They’ll never close us up today!
六… 一定能撑到最后的!
…five, four, three, two,
五 四 三 二…
one, bingo!
一 成功了
We made it! Close the door, Eustace! We made it.
成功了! 尤塔斯 快关门! 我们成功了
Look, look, we’re still in business. We’ve still got 2 bucks left.
看 我们没被打垮! 还有2美元剩!
Look, let’s have some of that. Let’s celebrate!
我们喝酒庆祝一下
Get some glasses, Tilly.
快拿杯子 蒂莉
Well, a couple of financial wizards. Call us Rockefellers.
我们真是金融奇才 应该改姓”洛克菲勒”了
Get a tray for these two great big important simoleons here.
快拿托盘来 把这两块宝贝钱盛起来
We’ll save them for seed. A toast.
让它们钱生钱 干杯
A toast. A toast to Mama Dollar and to Papa Dollar,
干杯 向”美元妈妈”和”美元爸爸”敬酒
and if you want to keep this old Building and Loan in business,
希望公♥司♥能经营下去的话…
you better have a family real quick.
你们俩就加油 多生点”钱宝宝”