Hi, Ernie. Hi, Bert.
嗨 厄尼 伯特
Hiya, George.
嗨 乔治
George. Hey, I’m a rich tourist today.
乔治 我今天可是个款爷游客
How about driving me home in style?
风风光光开车送我回家如何?
Hop in, Your Highness. Hop in. Yes, sir.
请上车 款爷陛下
And for the carriage trade, I put on my hat.
为恭迎您 我戴帽以示敬意
Good afternoon, Mr. Bailey.
下午好 贝利先生
Hello, Violet.
你好 维奥莉
Hey, you look good. That’s some dress you got on there.
你今天穿的这条裙子真漂亮
This old thing?
这件旧衣服?
Why, I only wear it when I don’t care how I look.
我不在乎自己的模样时才会穿它
How would you like to take… Yes.
你还坐不坐… 坐
Want to come along, Bert? We’ll show you the town.
要不要兜你一程 伯特?
No, thanks.
不用了
I think I’ll go home and see what the wife’s doing.
我得回家看老婆去了
Family man.
居家男人
George, Harry, you’re shaking the house down.
乔治 哈里 房♥子都快被你们震塌了
Stop it.
别闹了
Let them alone. I wish I was up there with them.
随他们吧 我也想上去跟他们玩呢
But Harry will tear his dinner suit. George!
哈里会扯破他的晚礼服的 乔治!
That’s why all children should be girls.
所以说生男不如生闺女好
Well, if they were all girls there wouldn’t be any… Oh, never mind.
要是都生闺女那我们家…算了
George, Harry, come down to dinner this minute.
乔治 哈里 快下来吃晚饭
Everything’s getting cold,
饭菜都凉啦
and you know how long we’ve been waiting for you.
就是为了等你们
Okay, Ma. Okay, Ma.
来啦 妈
We got a present for you, Pop. There you are.
有礼物送你 老爸 抱紧了
Oh, you two idiots.
两个傻小子
George, sit down and have dinner.
乔治 快坐下吃晚饭
Fine. I’ve eaten.
好的 我吃过了
Well, aren’t you gonna finish dressing for your graduating party?
你怎么还没穿好礼服好去参加毕业派对?
Look at you!
看看你这副样子
I don’t care. It’s George’s tux.
我才不在乎呢 反正是乔治的礼服
Annie, my sweet, have you got those pies?
亲爱的安妮 馅饼都准备好了吧?
If you lay a hand on me, I’ll hit you with this broom!
你要敢碰我一下 我就拿扫帚打你
Annie, I’m in love with you. There’s a moon out tonight.
安妮 我爱你 我们今晚去赏月吧
Boy, oh boy, oh boy! My last meal in the old Bailey boarding house.
我的乖乖 这可是我离家前”最后的晚餐”了
Oh, my lands, my blood pressure.
天哪 我的血压又高了
Pop, can I have the car?
老爸 能借你的车子用用吗?
I gotta take over a lot of plates and things.
有好多碗碟和杂物要带去派对
What plates?
碗碟?
Mom, I’m chairman of the Eats Committee.
妈 我可是今晚餐点的负责人
We only need a couple of dozen.
只需要几打碗碟而已
Oh, no, you don’t, Harry. Now, not my best Haviland, no.
不行 哈里 别打我那些哈维兰碗碟的主意
Oh, let him have the plates, Mother.
就让他拿吧 孩子他妈
Hope you have a good trip, George. Uncle Billy and I are gonna miss you.
祝你旅途愉快 乔治 我和比利叔叔会想你的
I’m gonna miss you, too, Pop.
我也会想你的 老爸
What’s the matter? You look tired.
你看上去好像很疲惫
I had another tussle with Potter today.
我今天又跟波特吵了一架
I thought when we put him on the board of directors,
我还以为让他加入董事会
he’d ease up on us a little bit.
他会放我们一马
What’s eating that old money grubbing buzzard anyway?
这个视财如命的老奸商 到底怎么回事?
He’s a sick man, frustrated, sick in his mind.
他有毛病 情绪沮丧 脑子也有问题
Sick in his soul, if he has one.
灵魂也有问题 如果他还有灵魂的话
He hates everybody that has anything that he can’t have.
若是别人有他没有的东西 他就恨之入骨
He hates us mostly, I guess.
他最痛恨的大概就是我们
Gangway. Gangway.
借过…
So long, Pop. So long.
再见 老爸 再见
You got a match? Very funny, very funny.
这是端盘子比赛吗? 别逗了
Put those things in the car,
把东西都放到车上
and I’ll get your tie and studs ready for you. Now, hurry up.
我给你打领带系领结 快点
Okay, Mom. Now, don’t drop one of those.
好的 妈 别掉了
You coming later, George?
你待会来吗 乔治?
What do you mean, and be bored to death?
怎么 想闷死我吗?
Couldn’t want a better death. Lots of pretty girls,
今晚美女如云 死也值得
and we’re gonna use that new floor tonight, too.
况且还可以试试新舞池呢
I hope it works. No gin tonight, Son.
但愿派得上用场 不许喝酒 儿子
Oh, Pop, just a little?
老爸 就喝一点
No, Son. Not one drop.
不行 滴酒不能沾
Boys and girls and music.
红男绿女 歌♥舞升平
Why do they need gin?
还要酒做什么?
Did I act like that when I graduated from high school?
我高中毕业那会也是这德行?
Pretty much.
差不多
You know, George, I wish we could send Harry to college with you.
乔治 我希望也能送哈里上大学
Your mother and I talked it over half the night.
我和你妈昨晚讨论了大半夜
We have that all figured out.
我们都商量好了
You see, Harry will take my job at the Building and Loan,
哈里先接替我在公♥司♥的工作
work there for four years, then he’ll go.
干满四年后他就能去念大学了
Pretty young for that job.
他现在做这个恐怕还太年轻
Well, no younger than I was.
我那时还比他小呢
Well, you were born older, George.
你天性就比较成熟 乔治
How’s that?
你说什么?
I said you were born older.
我说你更成熟稳重
I suppose you’ve decided what you want to do
至于大学毕业后从事什么工作
when you get out of college.
你应该已经有所打算了
Well, you know what I’ve always talked about,
就像我常常挂在嘴边的
build things, design new buildings, plan modern cities.
造房♥子 设计规划新城镇
All that stuff I’ve been talking about.
这些都是我的抱负和理想
Still after that first million before you’re 30?
还在盘算着30岁前当上百万富翁吗?
I’ll settle for half that in cash.
挣个50万我就心满意足了
Of course, it’s just a hope.
这毕竟也算你的一个希望
But you wouldn’t consider coming back
但你有没想过大学毕业后
to the Building and Loan, would you?
回来继承家业?
Well, I… I…
这个嘛 我…
Annie, why don’t you draw up a chair?
安妮 你干嘛不拿个凳子来
Then you’d be more comfortable,
坐下来舒舒服服地
and you could hear everything that’s going on.
慢慢听我们讲
I would if I thought I’d hear anything worth listening to.
要是有东西值得我听的 我会这么做的
You would, eh?
是嘛?
I know it’s soon to talk about it.
我也知道现在谈这个还为时过早
No, now, Pop, I couldn’t.
爸爸 我做不到
I couldn’t face being cooped up for the rest of my life
我不希望一辈子都被困在
in a shabby little office.
一个破旧的小办公室里
I’m sorry, Pop. I didn’t mean that, but I…
对不起 我不是那个意思…
It’s this business of nickels and dimes
这种分毫必算的工作不适合我
and spending all your life trying to figure out
我不想将一生都耗费在
how to save three cents on a length of pipe.
算计如何在一根管子上节省3分钱
I’d go crazy. I want to do something big and something important.
那样我会疯掉的 我想要干出一番大事业
You know, George, I feel that, in a small way,
乔治 就某种意义上而言
we’re doing something important,
我们这个小实业就挺了不起的
satisfying a fundamental urge.
满足最基本的需求
It’s deep in the race for a man to want his own roof
有瓦遮头 添屋置业
and walls and fireplace.
是很多人的梦想
And we’re helping him get those things
而我们就是在破旧的小办公室里
in our shabby little office.
为这些人圆梦
I know, Pop. I know that.
这我明白 爸爸
I wish I felt that…
但愿我能…
I’ve been hoarding pennies like a miser here in order to…
我刻勤至简攒下这笔钱来就是为了…
Most of my friends have already finished college.
我的好友大多都已大学毕业
I just feel like if I didn’t get away, I’d bust.
我要再不走就注定会碌碌无为
Yes, yes, you’re right, Son.
没错 你说得对 儿子
You see what I mean, don’t you, Pop?
你能理解我的 对吗 爸爸?
This town is no place for any man
除非愿意向波特卑躬屈膝
unless he’s willing to crawl to Potter.
否则在镇上是混不下去的
Now, you’ve got talent, Son. I’ve seen it.
你很有才华 儿子 这我知道
You get yourself an education and get out of here.
你就去上你的大学闯世界去吧
Pop, you want a shock?
爸 想听点猛料吗?
I think you’re a great guy.
在我心中你都是个伟大的人
Why, did you hear that, Annie? I heard it.
你听到没 安妮? 听到了
It’s about time one of you lunkheads said it.
你们傻哥俩也该是时候说这话了

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!