Young man, 27 28, married, making, say, $40 a week.
二十七八岁年轻人 已婚 一周挣40块
$45. $45.
45块 好 45块
Out of which, after supporting your mother and paying your bills,
扣去赡养费和日常开支
you’re able to keep, say, $10, if you skimp.
省点的话 勉强可以省下10美元
A child or two comes along, and you won’t even be able to save the $10.
但生一两个小孩后 你连10块钱也省不下来
Now, if this young man of 28 was a common, ordinary yokel,
如果你是个普通的乡巴佬…
I’d say he was doing fine.
这种生活已算不错
But George Bailey is not a common, ordinary yokel.
但你乔治·贝利可不是那种人
He is an intelligent, smart, ambitious young man,
你有才干 有抱负 又年轻
who hates his job,
你不喜欢现在的工作
who hates the Building and Loan
你厌倦了建房♥贷款合作公♥司♥
almost as much as I do.
就和我讨厌它差不多
A young man who’s been dying to get out on his own
你天生就渴望
ever since he was born.
飞出小镇闯世界
A young man… The smartest one of the crowd, mind you.
你是个鹤立鸡群的精英人才
A young man who has to sit by
却只能眼睁睁
and watch his friends go places because he’s trapped.
看着自己的好友祥云展翅闯荡世界
Yes, sir, trapped into frittering his life away,
自己只能坐井观天 浪费大好青春
playing nursemaid to a lot of garlic eaters.
去照顾一帮穷鬼
Do I paint a correct picture, or do I exaggerate?
我没说错吧? 我有夸大其词吗?
Now, what’s your point, Mr. Potter? My point?
波特先生 你到底想说什么? 我想什么?
My point is I want to hire you. Hire me?
我想聘用你 聘用我?
Yeah, I want you to manage my affairs, run my properties.
对 你来帮我打理事务 管理财务
George, I’ll start you out at $20,000 a year.
年薪从两万美金起步
$20,000 a year?
一年两万?
You wouldn’t mind living in the nicest house in town,
你想必不会介意住进富邸豪♥宅♥
buying your wife a lot of fine clothes,
给自己的妻子买♥♥些好衣服
a couple of business trips to New York a year,
每年不时前往纽约公干
maybe once in a while Europe.
偶尔还能去欧洲出差
You wouldn’t mind that, would you, George?
你是不会介意的吧 乔治?
Would I?
我吗?
You’re not talking to somebody else around here, are you?
你在跟我讲话 没错吧?
You know, this is me. You remember me?
这可是我 没忘我是谁吧?
George Bailey. George Bailey.
乔治·贝利 就是你乔治·贝利
Yeah, George Bailey, whose ship has just come in.
你的机会来了
Provided he has enough brains to climb aboard.
就看你够不够聪明把握好机会了
Holy mackerel.
好家伙!
Well, how about the Building and Loan?
建房♥贷款合作公♥司♥怎么办呢?
Oh, confound it, man, are you afraid of success?
年轻人 得了吧 你难道不想功成名就吗?
I’m offering you a three years contract at $20,000 a year, starting today.
我想跟你签3年合同 年薪两万 即日生效
Is it a deal, or isn’t it?
你到底接不接受?
Well, Mr. Potter, I…
波特先生 我…
I know I ought to jump at the chance but I… I just…
我知道我应把握机会 但是…
I wonder if it would be possible for you
能否给我
to give me 24 hours to think it over?
24小时考虑一下?
Sure, sure, sure.
当然了
You go on home and talk about it to your wife.
回去跟妻子商量一下
I’d like to do that.
我会的
Yeah. In the meantime, I’ll draw up the papers.
我会准备好相关文件的
All right, sir. Okay, George?
波特先生 好的 乔治 就这么定了
Okay, Mr. Potter.
波特先生 好的
No. No. No, no, now wait a minute, here.
不…等等
I don’t need 24 hours. I don’t have to talk to anybody.
我不用24小时 也不用和别人商量
I know right now, and the answer is no.
我现在就回复你 我不接受
No, doggone it!
发你的春秋大梦去吧!
You sit around here, and you spin your little webs,
你整日盘算如何牟取暴利
and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money.
以为人人都会看上你的钱 围着你团团转
Well, it doesn’t, Mr. Potter.
你错了 波特先生
In the whole vast configuration of things,
世界这么大
I’d say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider.
你不过是讨人厌的小人物而已
You…
你…
And that goes for you, too!
你也是!
And it goes for you, too!
还有你们!
You wouldn’t mind living in the nicest house in town,
你一定想住这里最豪华的房♥子
buying your wife a lot of fine clothes,
买♥♥很多好衣裳给妻子
going to New York on a business trip a couple of times a year,
每年到纽约公干几次
maybe Europe once in a while.
偶尔去欧洲出差
I know what I’m gonna do tomorrow
我想好了明天要干什么了
and the next day and next year and the year after that.
还有后天 明年 后年
I’m shaking the dust of this crummy little town off my feet,
我要离开这个邋遢的小镇
and I’m gonna see the world.
我要去闯荡世界!
And then I’m gonna build things. I’m gonna build air fields.
然后开始展露拳脚 大搞建设 我要建飞机场
I’m gonna build skyscrapers 100 stories high.
盖百层摩天楼
I’m gonna build a bridge a mile long.
搭一英里长的桥
What is it you want, Mary? What, you want the moon?
玛丽 你想要什么? 天上的月亮吗?
If you do, just say the word, I’ll throw a lasso around it
只要你说要 我就甩个套把月亮套住
and pull her down for you.
给你摘下来
Buffalo gal Won’t you come out tonight?
水牛城姑娘 今晚可否出来?
Won’t you come out tonight? Won’t you come out tonight?
今晚可否出来?
Buffalo gal Won’t you come out tonight
水牛城姑娘 今晚可否出来?
Hi. Hi.
嗨 嗨
Mary Hatch,
玛丽·哈奇
why in the world did you ever marry a guy like me?
你为什么愿意嫁给我这种人?
To keep from being an old maid.
我可不想当老姑娘
You could have married Sam Wainwright
你本可以嫁给山姆·温莱特
and anybody else in town.
或者镇上其他人的
I didn’t want to marry anybody else in town.
我不想嫁给别人
I want my baby to look like you.
我希望我的孩子长得像你
You didn’t even have a honeymoon.
可我连蜜月也给不了你
I promised you…
我答应过你…
Your what? My baby.
你说什么? 我的孩子
Your… Your…
你的…
Mary, you on the nest?
玛丽 你怀孕了?
George Bailey lassoes stork. Lassoes a stork!
乔治·贝利套上了个胖娃娃 胖娃娃!
You mean you… What is it, a boy or a girl?
你是说…是男还是女?
Now, you’ve probably already guessed that
你大概可以猜到了
George never leaves Bedford Falls.
乔治从没离开那个小镇
No! Mary had her baby, a boy.
是啊 玛丽生了个儿子
Then she had another one, a girl.
后来又添了个女娃
Day after day she worked away,
日复一日 她用心工作
remaking the old Granville house into a home.
用双巧手把老破屋变成温馨的家
Night after night, George came back late from the office.
夜复一夜 乔治总是工作很晚才回
Potter was bearing down hard.
波特越来越不好对付
Then came a war.
接着 二战爆发了
Ma Bailey and Mrs. Hatch
贝利老太太和哈奇老太太
joined the Red Cross and sewed.
进了红十字会 干些针线活
Mary had two more babies
玛丽又添了两个小孩
but still found time to run the USO.
却仍腾出时间参加劳军联合会
Sam Wainwright made a fortune in plastic hoods for planes.
山姆·温莱特靠造塑料飞机罩发了财
Potter became head of the draft board.
波特成了征兵局的头头
One A.
优良
One A.
优良
One A.
优良
Gower and Uncle Billy sold war bonds.
高尔和比利大叔贩卖♥♥战争债券
Bert the cop was wounded in North Africa, got the Silver Star.
伯特警官在北非负伤 受封银星勋章
Ernie the taxi driver parachuted into France.
出租司机厄尼当了个空降兵 到法国参战了
Marty helped capture the Remagen Bridge.
马蒂参加了攻占雷玛根大桥一役
Harry…
哈里…
Harry Bailey topped them all.
哈里·贝利比他们都厉害
A Navy flier, he shot down 15 planes,
他成了海军飞行员 击落敌机15架
two of them as they were about to crash into a transport full of soldiers.
其中两架在撞向载满人的运输船时被击落
Yes, but George. George?
乔治呢? 乔治?
Four F on account of his ear,
他听力不好 入伍遭拒了
George fought the battle of Bedford Falls.
乔治镇守着小镇
Now, hold on! Hold on! Hold on now!
慢点…! 别急!
Don’t you know there’s a war on?
你们不知道正在打仗吗?
Air raid warden.
他是个空袭民防员
Paper drives.
那时 纸张紧俏
Scrap drives.
金属紧俏
Rubber drives.
橡胶紧俏