真有趣,我总是假设会是砒霜
Oh, that’s funny. I always assume arsenic for some reason.
是吗? – 是的
Yeah? – Yeah.
来自老电影或什么的 肯定是认识他的人干的
Old movies or something. It had to be someone that knew him.
你想啊,得足够接近他才能
I mean, someone would have to be close enough to him
在他咖啡里下毒
to drop poison in his coffee.
噢好像是果汁
Or I guess it was juice, wasn’t it?
我享受这整个对话
I enjoyed the whole conversation.
如同是坐在牌桌前
It was like sitting at a tense poker table,
手握一把葫芦却故作天真地闲聊…
holding a full house, and chatting innocently…
自信于掌握胜负手
Confident I had the winning hand,
却又怕被同花顺或四条大过
but getting a thrill out of the chance I could be beaten with a straight flush
而惴惴不安
or four of a kind.
我今天和罗伊大吵一架
I had a big argument with Roy today.
真不想听到这消息
I don’t like to hear that.
我和他说我愿坦诚相告
I told him that I wanted to be honest with him.
我仍对他有感觉
And, that I still had real feelings for him.
但同时也对你有感觉
But I also have feelings for you.
我必须承认,认识你第一天起你就如此与众不同
I must say, you were special from that very first day.
你真是幸运
You are very lucky.
我是很幸运
I am very lucky.

Mmm.
那么,你想谈什么?
So, what do you wanna talk about?
嗯…
Um…
听着,我不会再见你了
Look, I’m not gonna see you anymore.
我无法应对这种情况
I can’t operate under these conditions.
你对埃布·卢卡斯移情别恋,我可不会在一旁空等
I’m not just gonna wait around while you play out your affair with Abe Lucas.
是的,我明白,对你也不公平
Yeah, I understand. That’s not fair to you.
是,我该向前看了,过去的事就让它过去
Yeah, I’m just gonna move on. Whatever happens, happens.
你在和别人交往吗? – 没有
Are you seeing somebody else? – No.
但显然你是,我不再耗下去了
But, obviously, you are, so, I’m not gonna hold on from trying.
确实对你不公平
That wouldn’t be fair.
真可惜,我们本来挺好的
It’s too bad. We had a good thing goin’.
嘿,都是我的错,罗伊
Hey, it’s my fault, Roy.
我真是还未做好准备去一心一意
I’m just really not ready to commit to one person.

Yeah.
晚餐真是可口
Dinner was delicious.
这派可是…
And this pie…
感谢你们能让我来 – 我们很乐意
It’s so nice of you to have me over. – Well, we’re happy to.
尤其是吉儿总是对你赞许有加
Particularly since Jill always speaks so highly of you.
你俩有在关注斯潘格勒法官那案子吗?
Have you two been following the Judge Spangler murder?
何止关注?我俩和他可是有层特殊关系
Have we? We have a special attachment to Judge Spangler.
因为偶然听到一些人在谈论他
‘Cause we overheard some people talking about him,
说他是个多烂的法官
and what a rotten judge he was,
而且我俩倒支持他该得个冠心病或被轧死才好
and we kind of rooted for him to have a coronary or get run over.
我和莎莉·凯丽一直去那公园慢跑
I’ve jogged in that park with Sally Kelly.
知道吗,当我听说这案子时,我认为是
You know, when I first heard about it, I thought someone poisoned him
在早餐里下的毒,等到了公园才发作
at breakfast, and it kicked in when he was in the park.
但当看到是因饮料里的氰化物
But, you know, when I read it was cyanide in his drink,
我这理论不攻自破
my theory unraveled.
看来你是对的埃布,就是氰化物
You know, you were right, Abe. It was cyanide.
嗯嗯 – 你很早就说过,是吧?
Mmm-hmm. – You said that very early on, didn’t you?
他们说就是那玩意
That’s what they said it was.
就像之前说的,我总会猜是氰化物
Yeah, well, like I said, I always think cyanide.
这是老套路了,因为快捷又致命
Cyanide’s the cliché because it’s so quick and fatal.
砒霜见效需要时间还痛苦无比
Arsenic takes time and is very painful.
除草剂没一样儿能快速致命
None of the herbicides are quick and dispositive.
对毒药我可一窍不通
I don’t know anything about poisons.
我也是,随便读到的而已
I don’t, either, just what I read.
谁会想杀掉法官呢?
Who’d wanna kill a judge?
人人都想啊,那些他否决过的人
Only everybody, every person he ever ruled against.
但我想警方调查过所有认识他的人
But I think they looked into everybody that knew him.
包括咱俩偷听的那位女士 但嫌疑全被排除了
Including that woman that we heard, and they were all ruled out.
这就是为何人们以为或许是恶作剧
That’s why they think it might be a sick prank,
或者投毒目标另为他人
or intended for someone else.
但那毒药是快速见效
But it was quick-acting poison,
所以只能就是在公园里放入杯中
so they would have to drop it in the cup right there in the park.
是啊,有道理 – 嗯嗯
Well, that makes sense. – Mmm-hmm.
但绝不容易办到
But not an easy thing to do,
一个陌生人,光天化日大庭广众的
with a total stranger, in broad daylight, in a public place.
除非是他认识且信任的人
Unless he was there with someone he knew, and trusted.
朋友之类的 – 周末…
A friend. – A weekend. A weekend.
周末清晨,那儿不会很多人的
A weekend early in the morning, not a lot of people around.
只能是他认识的人
Had to be someone he knew.
但我想警方肯定询问了所有他认识的人
But I think they questioned everyone that knew him.
说是杯和往常一样的橙汁? – 没错
They said it was a regular orange juice? – Mmm-hmm.
他每周末慢跑完
And he bought an orange juice there every weekend
都要在那买♥♥橙汁看报纸
and he’d read the paper after jogging.
那么,如果这是他往常规律
Well, then if it was routine,
随便谁都能过去,往杯里投毒
somebody could’ve come around and just dropped the poison in his cup.
随便谁… – 知道吗,除非就他自己
Someone… – You know, he wouldn’t be on a park bench
否则不会坐去长椅上读报纸
reading the newspaper, unless he was alone.
这就排除掉了朋友
That rules out a friend.
谁说非是个男的?没准是个女的呢
How do we know it was a man? Maybe it was a woman.
噢,这说法有道理
Oh, that’s a good point.
也许他转过身去了
Maybe he turned his back.
然后某人突然出现,往饮料里投毒?
Someone appears out of the blue, and drops something in his drink?
那种外带果汁不是有盖儿吗?
Well, aren’t those take-out juices covered with a straw?
或者某人去帕斯卡买♥♥了杯相同饮料
Or someone could have gone to Pascal’s and gotten a juice,
下了毒,掉了包?
and put the poison in it and switched it with the judge’s.

Hmm.
我确信警方考虑过所有可能了
I’m sure the police have run through every theory.
那好,假设法官拿着橙汁坐在公园里
Okay, let’s say the judge is sitting in the park with his orange juice,
某人过来,拿着杯一模一样但下了毒的…
and, and along comes someone with an exact matching cup full of poison…
是谁过来? – 然后…
Who comes along? – And…
那么… – 有人想杀法官
Well… – Someone who wants to kill the judge.
无论是谁
Whoever it was,
得设法让他扭头足够长时间
would have to get the judge to look away long enough
以便掉包
to make the switch.
我是说,这风险可不小… – 但这么想…
I mean, they’d be taking a huge risk… – But think…
可以就坐到他身边
They would sit down next to the judge,
都不必认识他,坐到那去就行
and the guy doesn’t even have to know him, he just is sitting there,
法官在喝果汁,是吧
and the judge is drinking his juice, you know,
放在了旁边,那人就…
and he sets it down next to him, and this person is just…
法官打开报纸,转个身,挡住的时间足够…
The judge opens up his paper, and he turns and he’s covered up for just long enough.
如果那人不认识法官
Well, if he didn’t know the judge,
为何要费那么多麻烦杀了他?
why would he wanna go to all that trouble to kill him?
是啊,还得摸清法官的规律,那么些细节
Yeah, he’d have to be familiar with the judge’s routine, the details.
但那不费事啊
But that would be easy.
跟踪法官一个礼拜就能…
You could just stalk the judge for a week and you would…
我是说,那听上去就是他周六早间仪式嘛
I mean, it sounds like this was his Saturday morning ritual.
我喜欢这说法
I like it.
吉儿说得有道理,一切都考虑得周全
What Jill says makes sense. It’s a well-thought out concept.
法官读报纸,挡住他视线,快速掉包
The judge reads the paper, blocks his eye line, a quick switch.
要是和人同坐一张长椅
You know, if someone sits next to you on a bench,
常会转过身去的
you often turn away.
我确定警方早就想过这些了
I’m sure the police are way ahead of us on all this.

Mmm.
斯潘格勒谋杀案成为了人们津津乐道的话题
The murder of Spangler remained a hot tabloid issue.
埃布经常提起此事
Abe often talked about it
说如今这法官死掉了,对那位女士是多好的事
and what a blessing it was for that woman, now that the judge was gone.
我一直都没特别在意此事,直到有一天
I didn’t give any special thought to it, until one day,
碰到我的一个朋友艾丽·唐纳
when I ran into Ellie Tanner, a friend,
我俩有时候会去一起骑马
that I sometimes went horseback riding with.
不,没事的
No, no, it’s fine.
好吧 – 他只是…
Okay. – He just, um…
我们进行了长谈 – 是
Basically, we had this long conversation. – Right.
他说他觉得我这么对他不公平
And he said that he felt like I wasn’t being fair to him.
他说得对,的确,但我不知道该怎么办
And he was right. I wasn’t. But I didn’t know what to do anymore.
你会很喜欢埃布的,他特别有意思
You would love Abe. He is so interesting.
你知道丽塔·理查兹吧?
You know Rita Richards?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!