我脑子有点迟钝 噢是吗?
I’m a little slow. Oh, really?
我就知道你会喜欢那个灯塔
I knew you’d love that lighthouse.
那是这世界上我最喜欢的地方之一
It’s one of my favorite places in the world.
噢,这里真美
Oh, it’s so beautiful here.
我禁不住想起艾米丽·狄金森的那个词… (美国女诗人,现代诗先驱)
I can’t help thinking of that phrase by Emily Dickinson,
“空气醉人” (出自其诗《I Taste a Liquor Never Brewed》)
“Inebriate of air.”
呼吸空气已惹人醉
To be drunk on air.
都不必靠纯麦芽威士忌了
Not to have to rely on single malt scotch.
你说过你以前写过诗的
You know, you once said that you used to fool around with poetry.
是啊,后来我一怒之下全毁掉了
Mmm. Yeah, I destroyed all my poems in a fit of rage,
因为我那个幽默又好心的发小
when my funny, sweet friend, this guy I grew up with my whole life,
在伊♥拉♥克♥一脚踩了地雷
stepped on a fucking land mine in Iraq.
天呐
Oh, Jesus.
但如果你喜欢的话,或许我可以为了你重新提笔
But you know, maybe if you like, I could try writing again for you.
我写得不是很好
I mean, I’m not very good,
但我或许会乐意为你再拾起来
but you know, I might enjoy trying again for you.
你知道我爱上你了吧
You know I’m in love with you.
你以为你是
You think you are.
你真正爱上的是
What you are is in love with the romantic concept
和大学教授恋爱的这种浪漫设定
of being in love with your college professor.
和你那个完美男友继续在一起才是正确的选择
The correct road for you is with that terrific guy you’re going with.
你真是这么想的?
Is that really what you think?
我会一直做你的朋友
I’ll always be your friend.
甚至做你的桂冠诗人 (欧洲中古世纪由皇帝任命的诗人侍从)
And even your poet laureate.
刚才太棒了
That was fantastic.
天呐,你早餐都吃了什么?
My God, what have you been eating for breakfast?
啊,功劳不全是我的,你这性感火♥辣♥的女士
Aw. I don’t deserve all the credit. You are hot stuff, lady.
先前的哲学教授哪去了?
What happened to the philosophy professor?
老天爷,你刚才就像个原始人
Christ, you were like a caveman.
长久以来我又重新感觉到自♥由♥
For the first time in so long, I felt free.
一种无限的自♥由♥
You know? Just a limitless freedom.
跟我私奔吧
Run away with me.
去哪?塔希提岛?
Where? To Tahiti?
像高更一样?在热带做♥爱♥?
Like Gauguin? To make love in the tropics?
我想跟保罗离婚,搬去西班牙
I want to leave Paul and move to Spain.
是么? – 是啊
Yes? – Yeah.
为什么想去西班牙?
Why Spain?
我一直觉得西班牙很浪漫
I always found Spain to be so romantic.

Hmm.
有件烦心事我得问问你 – 什么?
Now, I have a bone to pick with you. – Yes?
你有没有和那个女学生吉儿·波拉德上♥床♥?
Yeah, have you been sleeping with that student Jill Pollard?
今晚之前我有一年没有跟任何人上过床了
I’ve been sleeping with no one for a year, till tonight.
我也不是没尝试过,你也知道
Not that I haven’t tried, as you sadly know.
你和那女学生也试过了? – 没有
You tried with the student? – No, never.
我们只是朋友
We’re only friends.
因为学校里有些流言蜚语
Well, because there’s talk around the school.
只是流言蜚语而已
Mmm, it’s just talk.
人们只能八卦来打发时间
People fill their lonely hours with gossip.
你别再想这事儿了
Now put it out of your mind.
我寻回了对生活的热情
My zest for life had returned
促使我重生的力量是我下定决心
and the driving force of this rebirth was my rock-solid determination
要帮助这位两个孩子的母亲
to perform a service for a mother of two
除掉托马斯·奥古斯特·斯潘格勒法官
and rid the world of Judge Thomas Augustus Spangler.
他独居在一条漂亮的街道,距离法♥院♥步行可到
He lived alone on a pretty street within walking distance to the courthouse.
每周一次,他会在“亭台俱乐部”和好友们打桥牌
One day a week, he played bridge with his cronies at the Pavilion Club.
他是俱乐部的会员,经常在那吃饭
He was a member and ate there pretty often.
周六早晨他会去利皮特公园慢跑
Saturday mornings, he jogged at Lippitt Park.
作为法官他名望不是很高,被责难过一两次
He was not well-thought of as a judge and had been censured once or twice,
但也从未被降职,因他是个聪明人
but had never been reversed on appeal because he was smart
而且有门路
and also one of the boys.
为什么要学欧陆哲学?
Why continental philosophy?
因为欧陆哲学研究的问题
Because, you know, continental philosophy deals with
比分♥析♥哲学更私人、更令人兴奋
problems much more exciting and, and personal than the analytic tradition.
存在主义者试图探寻的
You know, the existentialists were tryin’ to find out
不仅是事物的意义,还有事物对自我的意义
not just what does something mean, but what does it mean for me?
我从没想过可以让你来游乐园玩
I never thought I would get you to go to an amusement park.
罗伊今晚在哪?
Where’s Roy tonight?
学习
Studying.
我这把年纪仍在继续成熟嘛
Well, I’m mellowing in my old age.
既然来了,我决定去帮你赢个奖品
And now that we’re here, I’m determined to win you a prize.
毫无疑问,埃布的态度变得更光明了
There was no question there was something lighter about Abe.
他的精神提起来了
His spirits seemed up,
感觉更专心、乐观、愈加有魅力了
he seemed more focused, more optimistic, more charming.
他说他决定要帮我赢个奖品
He said he was determined to win me a prize.
在发表了一番关于运气和随机性影响的常规演说之后
And after one of his standard lectures on the impact of luck and random chance,
他在头一轮就选中了中奖号♥码
he managed to pick the winning number on his first spin.
我要跟随自己第一直觉选,17号♥
I want to go with my first instinct. There’s my first hunch, 17.
好的,开始了
Okey-dokey, here we go!
转啊转啊转
Round, and round, and round it goes.
会停在哪呢?没人知道
And where will it stop? Nobody knows.
那么…
And…
哇!
Wow!
难以置信
Unbelievable.
我赢了 – 太幸运了
I won. – You’re a lucky man.
这怎么做到的? – 运气统治宇宙
How did you do that? – Luck rules the universe.
你这么想?
Oh, you think so?
更正一下,不是运气,是偶然性 我们都得听凭偶然性的摆布
Correction, not luck, chance. We’re all at the mercy of chance.
好了,你想要什么,哪个奖品
All right, what, what do you want? What prize do you want?
嗯,好吧… – 随便,想要什么拿什么
Um, okay… – Anything, anything you want!
噢,呃,那就手电筒吧
Oh, uh, the flashlight, please.
手电筒? – 是啊
Flashlight? – Yeah.
选得好,很实用 – 谢谢
A nice practical choice. – Thank you.
哪有实用 – 这还不实用?
This isn’t practical. – That’s not practical?
不,多酷啊 – 你看看其他那么多选择
No, it’s cool… – I mean, look at your other options.
而你选了个手电筒?
You’re saying that you picked a flashlight?
我喜欢这颜色… – 走吧
I like the color… – Come on.
我不喜欢你说我实用啊
I hate that you think I’m practical.

Whoa!
天呐 – 我感觉自己又嗑了麦斯卡林一般
Oh, God. – I feel like I’m on mescaline again.
天呐,看
God, but, look.
就算照哈哈镜,你也很漂亮
Even in the distorting mirror, you look good.
我希望你没把我看作中产阶级懒人
I hope you don’t think I’m some middle-class drone.
我可能会令你吃惊呢
I might surprise you.
是吗?
Yeah?

Hey.
不行,这不是个好主意
No, it’s a bad idea. It’s a bad idea.
什么意思?现在说这话有点太晚了吧
What do you mean? I think it’s a little late for that.
你有个优秀的男朋友
You have a terrific boyfriend
很显然他为你痴狂,不要…
and he’s obviously crazy about you and don’t…
我知道,我爱罗伊
I know. And I love Roy.
但这不代表我就要对他一心一意,然后放弃…
But it doesn’t mean I’m ready to commit to him and give up…
听我说,听我说
Listen to me, listen to me.
你不会想跟我这样一个极端主义者扯上关系
You don’t want to get involved with an extremist like me.
相信我 – 为什么不呢?
Trust me. – Why not?
我可以跟你一样乐于冒险
I can be just as risk-taking as you.
好吧,刚才我们是一时兴起
All right. We got carried away.
忘了刚才那个吻吧,好吗?
All right, let’s just forget the kiss, okay?
如果我忘不掉呢?
What if I can’t?
那我就得负起责任,保持大家互不越界
Then I have to be the responsible one and keep things from getting out of hand.
走吧,开心玩吧
Come on, let’s have fun.
我很确信埃布对我有感觉
I was sure Abe had feelings for me.
但或许只是他没有像我爱他
But maybe it was just that he wasn’t in love with me
那样爱上我
the way I was with him.
我试图说服自己,他没有让事情更进一步
I tried telling myself the reason he wasn’t letting anything go too far
是因为师生恋在布莱顿学院
was because a relationship between a professor and a student
是违反校规的
was against Braylin’s rules,
但我心底清楚,埃布如此浪漫,不会不肯冒险
but I knew in my heart, Abe was too romantic to shy away from risks.
我能确信的只是,虽然我很在乎罗伊
All I was sure of was that as much as I cared for Roy,
我真的在乎
and I really did,
却完全不可自拔地爱上了埃布·卢卡斯
I was swept off my feet by Abe Lucas.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!