我问了他想不想跟我们一起吃饭
You know, I asked him if he wanted to eat with us.
我挺喜欢这人,但他在自己的世界里… – 他喜欢一个人吃
I like the guy, but he’s in a world… – He likes to eat alone.
是啊,他活在自己的世界里
Yeah, he’s in a world all his own.
我觉得他喜欢有自己的空间
I think he likes to keep to himself a bit.
是啊,大概吧
Uh, yeah, I guess so.
那就随他吧
Yeah, so, let him be. Right?
可能要花点时间 – 是啊
Could take some time. – Right.
好,说到克尔凯郭尔 (丹麦哲学家,存在主义哲学的先驱)
Okay, Kierkegaard.
嗯…
Um…
在每一天做决定时
You know, when making everyday decisions,
我们有绝对的选择自♥由♥
we have absolute freedom of choice.
对吧?你可以什么都不做,或想做什么做什么
All right? You can do nothing, or anything.
这种自♥由♥的感觉会让人产生恐惧
And this feeling of freedom creates a sense of dread.
一种眩晕感
A dizzy feeling.
焦虑即为“自♥由♥的眩晕”
Anxiety is the dizziness of freedom.
学生们很喜欢你
The students love you,
但当然了,一些老师则对你颇多微词
but, of course, you’ve raised some eyebrows with the faculty.
教书过程中你有灰心过吗? – 没有
Do you ever get discouraged teaching? – No.
你从不问自己,这一切究竟都为了什么?
You don’t ever ask yourself what the hell is it all about?

Mmm-mmm.
换个学校,换一群孩子
Another school, another batch of kids.
很乖的孩子
Sweet kids.
普通的孩子
Mmm. Average kids.
都是好孩子,但大多平庸
Nice, but mostly mediocre.
将来成长为世界的主人翁 用他们的无知…
They’ll grow up to be those people who shape the world with their ignorance
…误传和被动来塑造世界
or misinformation, or passivity.
你没事吧? – 嗯?
Are you okay? – Hmm?
你没事吧? – 我没事
Are you okay? – Yeah, yeah.
想进来吗?这是我家
You want to come in? This is where I live.
保罗去阿斯彭(科罗拉多)参加座谈会去了 我可有上好的大♥麻♥
Paul’s in Aspen at a symposium. I’ve got great grass.
改天吧 – 你确定?
Some other time. – Are you sure?

Yeah.
多谢了,回头见
Thanks. Thanks anyway. I’ll see you.
明天我们要讨论的是现象学与胡塞尔
Tomorrow we’re gonna discuss phenomenology and Husserl.
所以,记得要做阅读预习,好么?
So, be sure you do the reading, you know?
可能会有点复杂
It can get a little complicated.
好吗?
All right?
嗨,你找我?
Hi, you wanted to see me?
是的,你的论文写得很好
Yes, your paper was quite good.
真的? – 是
Really? – Yes.
我看过太多论文
I read so many papers and,
通常来说学生们都只是复述一下读过的东西
usually the students are merely paraphrasing what they’ve read,
但你的想法很新鲜,表述也清晰
but I found your thinking fresh and well-presented.
噢,谢谢您,受宠若惊
Oh, thank you. I’m flattered.
我必须承认,你关于随机性和偶然性的看法 对我影响很大
I have to say, I was very influenced by your ideas on randomness and chance.
其实我觉得最令人兴奋的是
Well, the truth is, what I found most exciting
是你对我观点提出的异议
was when you took issue with my ideas.
当你不同意我的看法时
When you disagreed with me,
你的看法有充分的论据,很有原创性
your arguments were well-reasoned and original.
我是不是有点脸红了?
Am I blushing right now?
真是巨大的褒奖,多谢
That’s a really big compliment. Thank you.
我的确觉得你书中的有些部分…
Um, I did actually find some parts of your book
有点难懂
a little hard to follow though,
如果你能给我稍作解释就太好了
and I would love if you could explain some things to me.
当然,我们能出去聊吗?不然我要窒息而死了
Sure, can we get out of here, though, before I die of suffocation?
你对存在的看法对我来说太灰暗了
I found your view of existence too bleak for me.
好像毫无快乐可以弥补一般
It was like there were no redeeming joys or pleasures.
好吧
Okay.
你是为什么来上哲学课?想从中得到什么?
Why are you taking philosophy? What do you want out of it?
因为如果你只是想思考出
Because if your goal is to try and figure out
这些破事的缘由,那还是算了吧
what all this bullshit’s about, forget it.
你写过书,写过论文,有这么多成就
You write books, you write papers. You’ve done so much.
这么告诉你吧,当我回看当年 那些光说不练的装腔作势
Well, let me tell you, when I look back at all that verbal posturing,
我们那群人曾以为自己会变得出类拔萃
my group thought we were going to be so special.
我参与每一场扯淡的政♥治♥示♥威♥游♥行♥
I marched in every bullshit political demonstration.
我在(苏丹的)达尔富尔呆了六个月, 给挨饿的家庭派发食物
I spent six months in Darfur getting food to starving families,
结果自己得了脑膜炎
I wind up with meningitis.
嗯 – 我去过孟加拉国
Mmm. – I was in Bangladesh.
你想要看到点成效,去拯救世界
Yeah, you know, you want to see a difference, to save the world.
但当看清自己的对手是谁…
But when you see what you’re up against…
你喜欢陈年纯麦芽威士忌吗?你喝酒吗?
Do you like vintage single malt? You drink?
你是指在这喝?
You mean here?
是啊 – 现在吗?
Yeah. – Right now?
不行,我不能喝
No, no, I couldn’t.
从我们初次交谈中,我是不可能认识到
There was no way I could have realized from that first conversation
埃布这个人是有很多问题的
that a lot was very wrong with Abe.
他特别迷人,又很脆弱, 我必须承认,自己当时很喜欢他
He was so damn fascinating and vulnerable, and I must say, I found him attractive.
我想这也让他感觉很自在
I guess it helped that he felt comfortable with me.
我开过出租车
I drove a cab.
在大楼当过勤杂工
I was a handyman in a building.
还当过电梯侍应,但我总是在阅读
I ran an elevator. But I always read.
我一直很喜欢俄♥国♥的作家
Always, always loved the Russian writers.
尤其是陀思妥耶夫斯基,他很厉害
Especially Dostoyevsky. Dostoyevsky got it.
他的书我都读过
I’ve read all of it.
真的? – 嗯
Really? – Mmm.
我那天跟埃布·卢卡斯聊得挺开心的
Oh, I had a great conversation with Abe Lucas the other day.
是吗
Uh-huh.
他说我的论文很有条理,富有原创性
He said my paper was well-organized and original.
好吧 – 是吧?
All right. – Right?
是,我知道这事儿要怎么发展了
Yeah, I can see where this is goin’.
噢,别说了
Oh, stop it, please.
他很迷人,因为他很聪明,但也受了太多的苦
He’s just fascinating because he’s brilliant, but he’s a sufferer.
完美啊,你总是喜欢那些受过苦的人
Perfect. Great, you always became attracted to the sufferers.
对吧?我们就是这么认识的
Right? That’s how we first met.
他是真正受了苦, 罗伊,你当时只是得了带状孢疹
He’s a real sufferer, Roy. You had shingles.
他因最好的朋友在伊♥拉♥克♥被杀而受了巨大创伤
He was traumatized when his best friend was killed in Iraq.
他朋友是个记者,太可怕了 – 他是被斩首了?
He was a journalist, just horrifying. – Didn’t he get his head cut off?
被斩首?不是,是爆♥炸♥
His head cut off? No, no, it was an explosion.

Oh.
人们都怎么添油加醋的啊,不可思议
God, it’s amazing how people embellish these stories.
埃布说,戏剧只是人为制♥造♥出来的
You know, Abe actually says that people just manufacture drama
这样才能度过本是空虚的人生
so they can get through their lives because they’re so empty.
我们能不能不要聊埃布·卢卡斯了?
Can we just change the subject of Abe Lucas, please?
你已经连续夸他有半小时了
You’ve been, like, singing his praises for half an hour.
行啊,那我夸夸你怎样?
All right, well, then, how about I sing yours?
行,好啊 – 怎么样?
Okay. Yeah, yeah. Good. – How’s that?
我喜欢你穿这件毛衣
I love you in that sweater.
你当然喜欢了,是你买♥♥的
Of course, you love me in this sweater. You bought it for me.
你穿这蓝色特别好看
Well, you look great in that shade of blue.
真的
You really do.
你知道吗,埃布的母亲是自杀身亡的
You know Abe’s mother committed suicide?
又是埃布?
Abe again?
你能想象么?他当时才12岁
I mean, can you imagine? He was 12.
她喝漂白剂死的,太惨了
She drank bleach! It’s so sad.
西蒙娜·德·波伏娃很准确地指出过
You know, Simone de Beauvoir pointed out, and quite correctly,
在一个男权社会里
that in a society shaped by men,
女人只作为男人的附属品而存在
women are seen as relative beings existing only in relationship to men.
嗯 – 你认同吗?
Hmm. – You agree with that?
我完全同意 – 嗯
I agree with that completely. – Mmm-hmm.
你肯定听说过关于自己的传言吧
I’m sure you’ve heard the rumors about you.
说你交往过很多女人
That you’ve had a lot of experience with women.
你是说睡过吧
You mean slept with.
这让你感觉很满足吗?
You find that fulfilling?
很多女友,很多一♥夜♥情♥?
Many women and one-night stands?
当时的确是
I did at the time.
当时感觉很疯狂
It had a certain frantic quality.
但有一天,它不再令我激动了
One day, it stopped being exciting.
通常能缓解疼痛的…
I couldn’t find distraction anymore
…性高♥潮♥不再对我奏效了
in that usually reliable painkiller, the orgasm.
为什么?
Why not?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!