想要集中精力在学习上是很难的
It was hard for me to keep my mind on school work.
我的焦虑日渐增加
I had this growing sense of anxiety.
并发觉自己一直有过分夸大的倾向
And realizing I always had a tendency to overdramatize,
所以试着不去过度想象
I tried to keep my fantasies in check.
但仍旧,回家路上我路过埃布家
And still, walking home, I passed Abe’s house,
心想他整个下午都要上课
and knowing he would be busy teaching all afternoon,
于是实在忍♥不住要做件疯狂事
I couldn’t resist doing a crazy thing.
在埃布家的时候,我感觉自己在背叛他
Once I was inside Abe’s house, I felt I was betraying him.
很有负罪感,觉得自己很蠢
And I felt guilty and stupid.
我没法想象自己到底想找到什么
I couldn’t imagine what I expected to find.
然而,在他桌上放着本《罪与罚》
And yet on his desk was a copy of Crime and Punishment,
旁注里写了斯潘格勒法官的名字
with margin notes that had Judge Spangler’s name
还有引用汉娜·阿伦特的话 (“平庸之恶”,出自《耶路撒冷的艾希曼》一书)
and a quote of Hannah Arendt’s.
你开玩笑吗?
Oh, are you kidding?
吉儿!
Jill!
嘿! – 噢,嗨
Hey! – Oh, hi.
噢你真漂亮,我喜欢你今天的发式
Oh, you look so pretty. I love your hair today.
谢谢
Oh, God, thank you.
我头发乱糟糟的 – 才不
It’s a mess. – Nuh-uh.
你的论文怎样了?
Um, how’s your paper coming?
挺好的,真要谢谢埃布·卢卡斯,我在化学实验室碰到了他
Good, actually, thanks to Abe Lucas. I ran into him in the chem lab,
他给了我一大堆人名,让我去阅读
and he gave me this whole list of people to read
好理解那些让我疑惑的东西,所以…
to understand those confusing points that I was talking about, so…
他去过化学实验室? – 是啊
He was in the chem lab? – Yeah.
他在下班时间过去的,我真的吓到他了,感觉很糟糕
He was there after hours. I really startled him. I felt so bad.
他下班时间在实验室做什么?
What was he doing in the lab after hours?
我不知道,好像是给本书做研究
I don’t know. I think he’s researching on a book,
好像是他写的东西
or something that he’s writing about,
毒药,化学,之类的吧
like, poison or chemistry, or one of those things, so…
但实验室里,所有的毒药都是锁起来的吧
But in the lab, all that poison and toxic stuff is locked away.
是啊,但他有钥匙
Yeah, but he had a key.
嘿,你怎么行为这么古怪?
Hey, why are you actin’ so strangely? Huh?
有什么要紧事吗,我们聊聊
What’s so important we gotta go over it…
是你杀了斯潘格勒
You killed Spangler.
什么? – 对吧?
What? – Didn’t you?
你说什么呢? – 是吧?
What are you talking about? – Didn’t you?
你从化学实验室拿了氰化物,到公园里放进了他的果汁里
You got cyanide from the chem lab, and you slipped it into his juice in the park.
你那天去了利皮特公园,没去核磁共振
You went to Lippitt Park, you didn’t get an MRI.
听听你说的话啊,吉儿,是我啊 – 是这样吗?
Listen to yourself. Jill, it’s me. – Is that true?
别… – 你疯了吗?
Don’t… – Are you nuts?
别跟我兜圈子,埃布!我看见你的书了
Don’t tap dance with me, Abe! I saw in your book.
我看见你写的了,“斯潘格勒,平庸之恶”
I saw that you wrote, “Spangler, the banality of evil.”
你肯定决意认为他是该死的
You must’ve decided that he deserved to die.
所以你就偷了丽塔的钥匙,艾珀尔看见你了
And so you stole Rita’s keys, and April saw you.
听我说,过来 – 不
Hey, listen, come here. – No.
过来吧
Come here.
我做了个决定,要帮助那位女士
I made the choice to help that woman.
那天晚上,你说的是对的
You had it right the other night.
我一直都觉得你是超级聪明的
I always said you had a first-rate intelligence.
在公园里?长椅上?
In the park? On the bench?
用报纸做掩护… 天呐,我就觉得是这样!
The covering up, the… Jesus, I felt that, Abe! I felt that!
我总是教你要相信自己的直觉
I always taught you to trust your instincts.
并非所有事都能由理智掌控
Not everything can be grasped by the intellect.
如果感觉是对的,那么通常就是对的
If it feels right, it often is.
这就是我一直追寻的有意义的行动
This was the meaningful act I was searching for.
你不能就自己这么决定去取他人性命啊
You can’t just take it upon yourself to take someone’s life.
我认为这件事非常合理
Well, I thought it was a very reasonable thing to do.
她还希望他得癌症呢!
She hoped he’d get cancer!
但希望算什么?希望算个屁
But what the hell is hoping? Hoping is bullshit.
你看,你必须采取行动
You see, you have to act.
你不能认为自己做的事是合乎道德的吧
You can’t believe it was moral, what you did.
你觉得那合乎道德? – 当然了
You don’t think that it was moral? – Of course I do.
我觉得我是个道德的人,过着合乎道德的生活
I consider myself a moral man who’s lived a moral life,
碰到了这样一位女士,遭遇不公正对待
who came to the aid of a woman suffering a great injustice.
那,你会去坐牢吗? – 不会,警♥察♥不会怀疑我
So, what, are you gonna go to prison? – No, the police are not thinking of me.
你余生都要在监狱里度过了?
You gonna go to prison for the rest of your life?
他们永远不会怀疑我的,我谁都不认识,没有作案动机
And they never will, because I’m a total stranger to everybody, with no motive.
多了一桩悬案而已
This will be just another unsolved crime.
你知道丽塔·理查兹有个理论吗,说是你做的
Do you know that Rita Richards has a theory that you did it?
我知道,她告诉我了,我们都笑死了
Yes, I know, she told me. We had a big laugh over it.
你怎么做得出啊,埃布?
How could you do it, Abe?
这个世界没了这个烂法官是不是变得更好了?
Is the world a better place without this rotten judge?
我的天呐,埃布! – 我问你呢
Oh, my God, Jesus, Abe! – No, I ask you.
这个世界没了斯潘格勒法官… – 不,这…
Is the world a better place… – No, this is…
是不是变得更好了? – 我崩溃了,埃布!
Without Judge Spangler? – I am so crushed, Abe!
完全不明白了
I’m completely lost.
我该怎么办?
What do I do?
你什么意思?什么怎么办?
What do you mean? Meaning what?
我是说,我这么在乎你,但我…
Meaning that I care about you so much and I can’t…
我不能再见你了
I can’t go on seeing you anymore.

Oh…
你在想揭发我吗?
Are you thinking of turning me in?
是,我是在想揭发你,当然了
Yes, I’m thinking of turning you in. Of course I am.
吉儿… – 但我不能这么做
Jill… – But I can’t do that.
我做不到
I can’t bring myself to do it.
你,你… 这…
You, you… This is…
这件事太疯狂了,埃布!
This is crazy, Abe!
我请求你把每天的各种假设抛到一边
I’m asking you to put our everyday assumptions aside,
相信你的人生经验
and trust your experience of life.
为了真正看清这个世界
In order to really see the world,
我们必须打破对它熟悉的看法
we must break with our familiar acceptance of it.
决定做此事的那一瞬间,我的整个世界都变了
The second I decided to take this action, my world changed.
你也见到了
You saw it.
我突然找到了活着的意义
I suddenly found a reason to live.
我可以做♥爱♥了,我可以对你有感觉了
I could make love, I could experience feelings for you,
因为帮助这位女士给了我生命的意义
because to do this deed for this woman gave my life meaning.
你得走了,埃布
You have to leave, Abe.
你走吧,我不能再见你了
You gotta go. I can’t see you ever again.
我什么都不会说的
I won’t say anything.
我什么都不会说的
I won’t say anything.
但我…
But I…
我信你认为自己做了合乎道德的事
I believe that you think you did something morally worthwhile.
确实是啊! – 我是这么想的,但…
I did! – I do believe that. No, but I…
但你不能找借口啊! – 嘘!
But you can’t, you can’t justify it! – Shh!
你不能用这些扯淡的理由来找借口
You can’t justify it with all this bullshit.
这些扯淡的东西,什么法国战后的合理化
With all this bullshit, French postwar rationalizing.
有什么关系吗,这是谋杀啊
This doesn’t… This is murder.
这可是谋杀
This is murder.
开了头便一发不可收,埃布
It opens the door to more murder, Abe.
好吧,好吧…
Okay, okay, okay, okay…
我的智力不够反驳你的观点
I don’t have the intellect to refute these arguments.
我没法跟你争
I can’t argue with you.
但你也教过我,要跟随自己的直觉
But you taught me to go with my instinct,
我不需要多做考虑,我感觉大事不妙
and I don’t have to think about this. I feel that this is no good.
这是谋杀
This is murder.
今天不错
Good job today.
接下来几周是我人生最难熬的一段
The next few weeks were the hardest of my life.
我爱埃布并真心相信
I loved Abe and truly believed
他只想做件英雄壮举却误入歧途
his misguided intention was to do a heroic thing.
我脑海中反复以他的角度去争辩
I argued his position in my head over and over.
有时便会妥协,觉得他是真正有自己想法的人
And at times I weakened and felt he was an original thinker,
不能以中产阶级教条去评判
who couldn’t be judged by middle-class rules.
你最近看上去情绪低落,和埃布出什么事了?
You seem so down lately. Did something happen with Abe?
他就要离开学校了
He’s leaving the school.
我猜这样也好
I guess it’s just as well.
你接受的了吗?
How are you taking it?
不太能
Not great.
我肯定罗伊听说这事得高兴坏了
I’m sure Roy will be thrilled to hear that.
知道嘛,可笑的是
You know, it’s so funny.
我曾觉得罗伊虽然人是挺好
I used to think of Roy as wonderful,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!