知道,你是要告诉我她和埃布有一腿吧?
Oh, yes, are you gonna tell me that she had an affair with him?
毕竟学校里哪个老师没和丽塔·理查兹上过床啊
Because who on the faculty has not slept with Rita Richards?
关于埃布·卢卡斯,她有个说法特有意思
No, she has this hilarious theory about Abe Lucas.
天呐,她又来了
Oh, God, here we go.
她觉得埃布是那个法官被害案的嫌疑人
She thinks he would be a good suspect in that case of the murdered judge.
就是报纸成天登的那个
You know, the guy who’s all over the papers?
拜托
Oh, please.
她开玩笑的吧 – 算是半开玩笑吧
She’s kidding. – I mean, she’s half-kidding.
拜托
Oh, come on.
她是怎么得出这匪夷所思的结论的?
How did she come to that bizarre conclusion?
我都记不清了,是她老公办了一次烧烤聚餐
I don’t even remember. We were at her husband’s barbecue.
她就开始大声嚷嚷说
And she starts yelling about
埃布说过这个法官该死
how Abe had argued that the judge deserved to die.
还说了什么…
And then something about…
犯下一桩完美犯罪的美学
I don’t know, the aesthetics of committing a perfect crime.
随便吧,她疯了 – 她是疯了!
Whatever, she’s crazy. – Oh, she’s crazy!
疯掉了
She’s nuts.
嘿,我们该一起再去骑马的
Hey, we should go horseback riding again, soon.
噢好啊 – 很好玩
Oh, yeah, sure. – That was fun.
当然,我并不认为丽塔·理查兹说的
Naturally, I didn’t believe there was any substance
所谓理论有任何实质意义,但出于某些原因我挺困扰
to Rita Richards’ so-called theory, and yet, for some reason, it bothered me.
给,我给你写了两首诗
Here, two poems I wrote for you.
不会吧 – 正是
You didn’t. – I did.
噢天呐 – 不,现在别看
Oh, my God. – No, don’t read them now.
我太不好意思了
I’m too embarrassed.
不喜欢的话就扔了,如果感动到了,就是你的了
If you hate them, throw ’em away. If they move you, they’re yours.
你真好
That’s very sweet.
嘿,出了什么事吗?
Hey, is something wrong?
没 – 没有吗?
No. – No?
你好像有点走神
You seem a tiny bit off.
不,我只是很感动
No, I’m just moved.
即使还没看呢
Without even reading them,
你写诗这举动我就很感动了
I’m just moved by the gesture of you writing these.
啊,聪明学生
Aw, clever student.
你确定自己没事?
Are you sure you’re okay?
我只是看着你
I’m just looking at you.
对我来说荒谬的是
It seemed absurd to me
自己竟会对埃布产生哪怕一丁点的怀疑
that I could entertain even the slightest doubt about Abe.
一礼拜后
And then a week later,
我有了亲自向丽塔·理查兹讨教的机会
I got a chance to hear Rita Richards’ theory firsthand.
我在本地的酒吧碰到她
I ran into her in a local bar
她一个人坐着喝酒
where she had been sitting alone and drinking,
有点喝高了,话有点多
and was a little drunk and talkative.
嗨 – 你好吗,波拉德小姐
Hi. – How are you, Miss Pollard?
我很好 – 嗨,金,你好吗
Great. – Hi, Kim. How’s it goin’?
我能之后再找你吗?
Uh, can I catch up to you?
你好 – 我刚才正琢磨你呢
Hello. – I was just thinking about you.
其实我刚才也正琢磨你呢
I was just thinking about you too, actually.
是吗? – 是啊
You were? – Yes.
你好吗? – 挺好
How are you? – I’m fine.
我挺好,我之前碰到了艾丽·唐纳
I’m good. I ran into Ellie Tanner actually.
她说你对埃布有个说法啊
And she said that you had a theory about Abe.
噢是啊,那属于疯人理论
Oh! Oh, yeah, well, it’s what’s called a crackpot theory.
但也不是毫无根据
But it’s not totally off the wall.
我很喜欢疯人理论
Well, I love a crackpot theory.
那你保证不会告诉别人? – 我保证
Yeah, you promise you won’t tell? – You have my word.
想听听看?坐下吧
You wanna hear it? Sit down.
你有一直跟看报纸的报道吧,关于那个被毒杀的法官?
You’ve been following that judge who got poisoned in the papers?
斯潘格勒?斯潘格勒法官
Spangler? Judge Spangler. – Spangler.
对,斯潘格勒 – 是
Spangler, right. – Yes.
警方不知道是谁干的
Well, they don’t know who did it.
我的理论是… 是我们哲学系的埃布·卢卡斯干的
My theory is, uh… Abe Lucas of our philosophy department.
我们共同喜欢的对象啊
Our mutual crush.
这… 这想法很奇妙啊
Well, you… That’s, that’s very, very intriguing.
听上去很疯狂吧,但其实也不是
Well, it’s crazy, but it’s not, you know?
你为什么觉得是埃布?
Well, why do you think Abe?
有一两次吧,我一个人的时候… – 请来一杯白葡萄酒
Well, once or twice, when I was alone… – Could I have a white wine, please?
这么说吧,在激♥情♥过后的亲密时刻里
Let’s just say in, like, a moment of post-passionate intimacy…
不,这个我懂… – 我们会聊天
No, I understand… – We’d talk, yeah.
你不用太绘声绘色… – 我们俩都说
You don’t have to get too graphic… – And we both said that
我们在人生中经历了很多事
we had experienced many things in life.
但有一件事他从没经历过
But one thing that he had never experienced,
却很想知道那会是什么感觉,就是杀人
but wondered was what it would be like to actually kill.
杀人? – 是啊
To kill? – Yes.
听上去是典型的埃布式胡说八道
Well, that sounds like random, silly, Abe talk.
你也知道他多喝几杯之后会变成啥样
I mean, you know how he gets when he’s had a few.
是啊,是啊 – 特夸张
Mmm-hmm, mmm-hmm. – He’s dramatic.
我本来也是这么想的
Oh, that’s exactly what I thought, too, you know?
只是埃布在胡说八道
It’s just Abe being Abe.
但我老公,在那个法官被杀的当天早上
But then my husband saw him leaving the campus,
见到他一大早离开学校
very early the morning that the judge was poisoned.
是特别大早,得有六点半
Like very early, like 6:30.
你有见过埃布早上六点半起床么?
I mean, have you ever known Abe to get up at 6:30?
他上课都很难准时到
He barely makes it to class on time.
那么你的理论是,他早上六点半起了床
Okay, then your theory is that he gets up at 6:30,
去了利皮特公园,跑到个陌生人面前
and he goes to Lippitt Park, and he goes up to a total stranger,
把毒药下到这人的果汁里
and he drops poison in the juice of a total stranger.
他根本都不认识这个法官啊
I mean, he didn’t even know the judge.
他根本无法靠近啊,就算他认识那个法官,他也不会…
He couldn’t get that close, and then, if he knew the judge, he wouldn’t…
他不会这么做的,他很激进,但并没发疯
I mean, he just wouldn’t do it. He’s radical, but he’s not nuts.
我来告诉你最后一点珍贵资料
Let me give you the final tidbit.
几个礼拜前,我丢了实验室的钥匙
A few weeks ago, I lost my lab key.
我是从不丢东西的人,但那钥匙从我包里不翼而飞了
Now I never lose anything, but that key was missing from my bag,
它能打开所有实验室所有的门
and it opens all the doors to all the lab rooms
里面有各种危险的化学试剂和毒药
that have all those dangerous chemicals and poisons.
好吧…
All right, well…
你的确把自己的理论捋清楚了嘛
You sure have really got that theory down, don’t you?
我也说了… – 我会想想的
Like I said… – I’ll think about it.
我会弄明白的
I’ll weigh it out.
丽塔这大胆的理论毫无疑问让我起了忧心
There was no question I was rattled by Rita’s outrageous theory.
我知道埃布非常恼火于那法官
I knew Abe had had a very angry reaction
对那位可怜女士的不公正待遇
to the judge’s unfair treatment of that poor woman.
而且他周六一大早六点半出门干什么去了?
And what was he doing out at 6:30 on a Saturday morning?
我思绪混乱,心神不宁
My thoughts were very mixed-up and troubled.
更多毁灭性的认知也将纷至沓来
And more devastating revelations were to come.
但那一刻,我心里是完全否认的
But for the moment, I lapsed into complete denial,
告诉自己这想法太荒谬了,根本禁不住推敲
and told myself this was too absurd to even contemplate.
我不能迷失于自己过度的想象力之中
I must not get carried away with my overactive imagination.
但乌云已经遮蔽了明月
And yet, a dark cloud had crossed the Moon.
嘿 – 埃布
Hey. – Abe.
你在想什么呢?
What’s on your mind? What are you thinkin’?
没什么
Nothing.
我刚才在想,自己以前会来这边慢跑
I was actually, I was thinking that I used to come here and jog.
如果你愿意,我可以陪你慢跑,我很想重塑体形
You know, I’ll jog with you if you want. I’d love to get back into shape.
不用,还得很早起床才行
No, you’d have to get up very early.
我通常早上跑步,而你是夜猫子
I run early and you’re a night person.
所以我去年开始就不跑了
Yeah, well, that’s why I quit last year.
当时也没打算要活更久,但现在…
That and no will to extend my life, but now…
丽塔·理查兹的老公告诉我说他看见你
Rita Richards’ husband actually told me that he saw you leaving the campus
在某周六早晨六点半离开校园
really early, at like 6:30 or something, on a Saturday morning.
六点半? – 是啊
6:30? – Yeah.
噢是啊,斯潘格勒法官死掉的那个早上
Oh, yeah, that was the morning Judge Spangler died.
我去普罗维登斯做核磁共振检查了
Yeah, I had to go to Providence for an MRI.
是吗? – 嗯
Oh, really? – Mmm-hmm.
你没提过啊 – 我不想吓到别人
You didn’t say anything. – Well, I didn’t want to alarm anyone.
是良性的,但医生想让我检查一下
It was a little benign thing, but the doctor wanted me to check it out.
他觉得没什么问题
He didn’t think it was anything horrible.
我很高兴你没事 – 是啊
I’m glad it was nothing. – Yeah.
嗯 – 别担心
Mmm. – Don’t worry.
我安心了 – 嗯
I’m relieved. – Mmm.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!