-他没事吧 -他心脏病发作了
– Is he all right? – He’s had a heart attack
很轻微 但怎么说都是心脏病
Fairly minor, but a heart attack nevertheless.
他至少需要卧床休息六周
He should be kept in bed for at least six weeks,
但这不可能
But that’s impossible.
如果让美国媒体听到风声
If the american newspapers got wind of it,
整个世界都会知道
The whole damn world would be told
温斯顿是个有心脏病的残废
Winston’s an invalid with a dicky heart
那将是个灾难
And that’d be disastrous.
别告诉任何人 任何人
Nobody must hear of this. Nobody.
连丘吉尔夫人和他本人都不能说
Not Mrs. Churchill and not even him.
大声点 别嘟嘟囔囔的
Speak up. Don’t mumble.
我是丘吉尔
This is Mr. Churchill.
我要和执政党主席通话
I want to speak to the party chairman.
那就派人去告诉他 告诉他我找他
Then get ahold of him. Tell him I rang.
我现在在法国 他知道我的电♥话♥
I’m in France. He knows the number.
让他中午给我打电♥话♥
Get him to telephone me here at noon
温斯顿
Winston?
等等 算了
No, on second thought
我再打给他吧
I’ll telephone him.
大概明天的这个时候
Tomorrow, yes. Roughly the same time.
温斯顿 你在里面吗
Winston, are you there?
是的 进来
Yes, come in.
咱们说好带玛丽去比亚里兹的
We’re taking Mary to Biarritz.
你忘了吗
Had you forgotten?
-没 当然没忘 -那你现在干吗呢
– No no, of course not. – What are you doing?
-没干什么 -没干什么是干什么呢
– Nothing. – What do you mean, “nothing”?
我说的已经够清楚了
I could scarcely make it any clearer.
我坐在屋子里什么都没干
I’m sitting here in my room doing nothing.
你就这么烦我吗
Are you so bored with my company?
-克莱米 别闹了 -玛丽怎么办
– Clemmie, for heaven’s sake. – And what about mary?
她这么期待和你一起度假
She has been so looking forward to spending time with you
而你几乎不理她
And you have scarcely spoken to her.
她看起来挺高兴的
She seems happy enough.
你就不能踏踏实实的度假
Can’t you try to enjoy this holiday
把选举的事暂时放一放
And forget about the election just for a bit?
答案是不能 我做不到
The answer is no, I can’t.
就算我坐在阳台或者海滩上
If I sit on the terrace or the beach,
我脑子里也全是这些
I sit there thinking about it.
至少我上来
At least if I come up here,
党总部打个电♥话♥
Phone party HQ, they can
他们可以告诉我最新消息
tell me the latest news
然后我就可以没有隐忧
And I can go back to you
头脑清醒的和你们在一起
With a clear mind and no hidden anxieties.
选举结果出来前
Nothing is going to happen
什么都不会发生的
until the election results are announced.
你知道的 你什么都做不了
You know that. There is nothing you can do.
我知道 但我不愿承认
Yes, I know that, but I don’t feel it.
可能这样很傻
It may be foolish
且我知道这很招人烦
And I know it’s annoying,
但我乐意沉浸在一切尽在掌握的幻觉中
But I like to have the illusion I’m in control.
你们就没有一个能打胜仗的将军吗
Haven’t you got a single general who can win battles?!
真难以置信
This is beyond belief!
你们实在太无能了
I mean, talk about bloody incompetence!
谁来负责 我还对罗斯福总统
Who is responsible? I told president Roosevelt
说新加波不会沦陷
Singapore was impregnable!
看来防御没有我们想象的那么坚固
It seems the garrison is not as well fortified as we thought.
我的话已经说出去了
I gave him my word!
多数大炮只能向海面发射
Most of the guns can only fire seaward,
所以北部的防御
Which leaves our troops vulnerable to an
非常脆弱
attack from the north.
我们怎么早不知道
Well, why weren’t we told about this?
我们恐怕是被联合情报委员会
I’m afraid we were misinformed
误导了
by the joint lntelligence committee.
该死 布鲁克将军
Bloody hell. You listen to me, general Brooke.
我希望你守住每寸土地
I expect every inch of ground to be defended.
这是帝国兵力在东南亚的关键
This is the key to our imperial strength in southeast asia.
马上下命令
Send it out immediately.
不惜一切代价
There must be no thought of saving the troops
也无须估计平民
Or sparing the population.
我很不幸的通知大家
“I speak to you all
我们刚刚经历了一次
Under the shadow of a heavy
沉重的军事溃败
And far-reaching military defeat.
新加坡被攻陷了
Singapore has fallen.
大英帝国的公民们
This is one of those moments
此时此刻该表现出你们的
When the british race and nation
优秀品质和非凡才能了
Can show their quality and their genius.
此时此刻
This is one of those moments
应从遭受灾祸的心情中汲取
When it can draw from the heart of misfortune
战胜敌人的动力
The vital impulses of victory.
此时此刻应表现出
Here is a moment to display
冷静 自信
That calm and poise
和坚定的决心
Combined with grim determination
正是这种决心在不久以前
Which not so long ago
把我们从生死边缘拉了回来
Brought us out of the very jaws of death.
-目前为止 -昨晚听温斯顿的讲话了吗
– So far…” – Hear winston last night?
-我听了 -他那是在吹牛 你觉得呢
– I did. – Hot air, I thought, didn’t you?
国民不会被华丽的辞藻
The country’s not in the mood
蒙蔽
To be fobbed off with fine phrases.
让我们坚定团结地
“Let us move forward,
冲入风暴
Steadfastly together into the storm
最终走出风暴
And through the storm.”
首相大人赢得一轮又一轮辩论
The prime minister wins debate after debate
同时一次又一次的打败仗
And loses battle after battle.
-快听 -国民开始认为
– Hear, hear! – The country is beginning to say
他的辩论像战斗一样全力以赴
He fights his debates like a war
而战斗却像辩论一样软弱无力
And the war like a debate.
迪耶普情况如何 温斯顿
What about Dieppe, Winston?
你难道忘了那是多大的一场灾难了吗
Have you forgotten what a disaster that was?
4000人牺牲了 还丢了马来半岛
4,000 men lost! and Malaya!
连最基本目标都没能达成
Not a single objective accomplished!
首相大人正在
The prime minister is exercising
施行可怕的独♥裁♥
A tremendous dictatorship.
他目中无人骄傲自大
He is the most arrogant
无法忍♥受这里的同仁
And intolerant member of this house.
他任命自己为国防部长
He appointed himself minister of defense.
他该为现在悲惨的军事战况
The responsibility for the current sad state
负全部责任
Of military affairs is his.
在我看来
So far as I am concerned,
如果我不得不在希♥特♥勒♥和首相之间
Had I to choose between Hitler
做个选择的话
and the prime minister,
我真不知道究竟该选哪一个了
I should not know exactly on which the choice had to fall.
别再想了
You must stop brooding.
-我没想 -你有
– I’m not brooding. – You are.
你还在想那场讨厌的争论
You’re brooding about that wretched debate.
别想了 温斯顿
Ignore it, Winston.
没人在意的
Nobody takes them seriously.
那是左翼工党在胡说
It’s left- wing labourite nonsense.
我知道我应该受到指责
I knew I’d get the blame,
在很多方面 我都应该
And in many ways I deserve it.
你曾经告诉我 还记得吗
You once said to me- – do you remember?
就在你刚当上首相时
When you first became prime minister,
我为此而生
“I was born for this.”
你是的 温斯顿
You were, Winston.
太多灾难了
Too many disasters.
我觉得我必须正告你 阁下
I feel I must assure you, Sir,
如果你希望我移交权力
That if you wish me to hand over my responsibilities
给其他的人 我会觉得
To some other person, I would feel,
从许多方面来讲 这都是正确的 合适的
In many ways, it is the right and proper thing to do.
如果你正在递交辞呈
If you’re trying to offer your resignation,
请不要 如果不是 我很高兴
Please don’t. I’d be awfully glad if you didn’t.