to see how light bounces off of things or illuminates us,
看光线如何在物体上反射 照亮我们
how cloth bend
看布料怎么弯曲
and how people move and animals move.
看人和动物是怎么运动的
ILM’s stock in trade is photo-realism,
工业光魔的拿手戏就是照片级真实
that we made stuff that you can really believe it’s real.
我们制♥造♥你能相信是真的东西
A lot of the painters, a lot of modellers
有很多画家 很多模型师
tend to either fall into what we call a hur** camp
都倾向把心思投入进我们称作在**军的东西里
which is like things spaceships and hardware.
比如太空飞船和一些硬件
And then you’ve got your organic creature type stuff,
可是还是会碰到这种有机的角色类型的东西
what helps me is to go back to real things,
回到真实的事物中能帮助我很多
to study nature,
去研究自然
to see how a feature functions.
看一颗羽毛怎么运作
How it’s actually constructed, so brilliantly
它具体是怎么构造的 这么完美
and if I can take some of that enthusiasm and curiosity,
如果我能抓到一点那些热情和好奇心
I can bring that into my work.
我就能把它们加入到我的作品里
To create the reality,
为了要创造真实
the visual effects supervisors lead the army of production managers,
特效总监领导生产经理
artists and technicians to realize the most complicated imagery,
艺术家和技术人员组成的大军实现最复杂的视觉图像
on time and on budget.
不超时 不超预算
The starting point begins with the ILM Art Department.
一切这些开始于工业光魔的艺术部
The concept artist in the Art Department gernally
艺术部的概念艺术家
sort of the front in the group or the spear head,
基本上是在整个组的最前面 或者说是刀尖
to get everybody on the same pages, starting point.
确保每个人都是在一条战线上
In a lot of cased audience ILM we did the effects sequences,
许多时候在工业光魔我们做客户脑中的
or the creature or the environments of worlds of our clients,
世界里的特效 生物或者环境
the directors we work with.
也就是那些导演
As often happens,
导演要求工业光魔
directors ask ILM to create imagery
创造从来没有过的影像
that has never been done.
这事经常发生
The visual effects supervisor bring these challenges
特效总监把这些挑战
to ILM’s Research & Development department.
交给工业光魔研究与开♥发♥部门
One of the greatest things about ILM is that,
工业光魔的最爽之一
you have an R&D department,
就是他们有个研发部门
I can go to them and say
我可以过去跟他们说
“You know what, I need controllable smoke,
那个 我要能控制的烟
and just test to do this.”,
测试做一下吧
and you’ve got a brilliant team of smart people who can say
然后你就有一组聪明谢顶的人可以对你说
“Ok you know what, we’re gonna make a smoke system
好嘞 妥妥的 我们这就去做一个烟雾系统
and they’ll come up with *****.
果然他们就能拿出一个无敌工具交给你
Everything that you see on the screen,
你在屏幕上看到的一切
is meticulously assembled out of hundreds
都是几百个甚至几千个
or thousands of different elements,
不同的素材仔细地被组合在一起
and those are all there because the artists put them there.
都是艺术家放在那里的
So much of it is about giving them tools to layer
基本上我们是要给艺术家提供工具
and greater and greater complexity,
能叠更多层更复杂的素材
but always with the control that’s necessary
必须要有这样的控制能力
to give the director the images that he’s after.
才能做出导演需要的画面
On set,
在片场
the visual effects supervisor is responsible
特效总监负责把实拍素材搞定
for delivering the live action elements to ILM’s artists.
交给工业光魔的艺术家们
When you’re on business before photography,
当你工作在拍摄之前的环节
you have 300 and 350 people in the crew
你有300到350人的剧组
and, you know, you days cost 350,000 dollars a day.
一天要花费35万美刀
And there’s a question that you need to answer that question
片场一旦有需要你回答的问题
everybody turns to you,
所以人都在盯着你看
and you have about 2 seconds to say
你有两秒时间去告诉他们
exactly what you need these people to do
你到底要这些人做什么
and they do it.
然后他们去做
One of the things I love about this place
我喜欢这个地方的一点就是
is the ILM methodology, you know,
工业光魔的方法
we try to create an atmosphere here
我们试着创造这样一种氛围
where creative people are free to share their opinions about things.
有创造力的人可以自♥由♥的分享他们的观点
Somebody has a good idea about a shot,
关于一个镜头谁有好的点子
say, and when people are honest about what they think,
就说 当大家都真诚的说出自己的想法
the work is better.
这个作品就会更好
It’s amazing times when you’re struggling with something,
当你在尽力争取一些东西的时候感觉很好
you’re maybe working on for days and weeks,
你也许会连续几天几周的工作
everybody thinking about how to solve a certain problem,
每个人都在想怎样解决某个问题
and you really get a sence of community art
你就会真正感觉到团体的美妙
going on at that time where everybody is,
在每个人都在其中
it’s all been worty it,
这都是非常值得的
and they come together and contribute to something
他们聚集在一起 致力于一些
that’s never been done.
从来没有被做过的事情
Nearing the dawn of the new millennium,
在周年纪念的前夕
George Lucas returned to ILM as a client
乔治·卢卡斯作为一个客户回到工业光魔
With the daunting task of making 3 new Star Wars prequels.
带着令人畏缩的任务 做3个新的星战前篇
George had to wait to do the prequels,
要做星战前篇乔治必须等待
because his vision was so grand and so big,
因为它的视觉效果非常的宏大
and he wanted to so much,
而且他非常想要
that we had to wait the technology to catch up.
所以我们必须等待设备的完善
And I think what he saw in ILM and the work ILM
而且我认为他在ILM看到的
was doing throughout the 1990’s,
还有ILM从1990年开始做的工作
sort of encourage him to believe that finally the time had come
鼓励他相信最后的时刻到来了
and was absolutely possible to achieve greatness.
并且很有可能创造奇迹
I can sort of come in and push things forward
我有时会过来推动工作的进展
as the owner and as the client.
即作为所有者也同样是客户
“You know we’re pushing the envelope in a few places,
你知道我们在把包装推向一个新的领域
but the biggest issue is volume.
但是 最大的问题是容量
its just amount of huge stuff.”
非常多的东西
We were attempting a scale of visual effects
我们在尝试一种视觉效果
that had never been done before,
从来没有人做过的视觉效果
and over 90 percent of that movie
并且影片中超过90%比例
has some sort of visual effect in it.
都有这种效果在里面
We over doubled the size of our
我们把制♥作♥这部电影的电脑的图形图像
computer graphics department for that movie,
扩大了两倍
because we are growing so much
因为我们成长的太迅速
so there was this trepidation of
所以有这样的担心
what have we been enough more than we can control
我们能控制的范围到底有多大
and can we do this.
我们能做到么
“It’s not just we have to do with this picture,
我们要做的并不只是这张照片
we have to do for 2 more pictures,
我们还要多做2张照片
and also if this picture works,
并且 如果这张照片管用的话
and anybody else wants it done for their picture,
其他人也想这样做这张照片
and what are we gonna do?”
那么我们怎么办呢
We had over 2000 of effect shots
我们有超过2000张效果图
and there were so many aspects of what need to depicted
而且有许多方面都需要描述
and couldn’t be done with the tools we had at the time..
如果没有工具的话是我们定期是完不成的
It’s painful, it’s scary, a lot of things,
非常的痛苦 害怕 太多的事情
and we need somebody there to hold your hands and say,
我们需要有人在那里握住你的手说
look, I’ll take the blame,
听着 我会承担责任的
if it doesn’t work,
如果没能成功的话
I take the blame.
我承担责任
And that’s why we want it done in my own movies.
这就是我希望它在我的电影里完成的原因
We had very dense scenes
我们有非常密集的场景
with hundreds of thousands of characters in them,
有成百上千的性格特征在里面
and we have to do rigid body dynamics,
而且我们必须做刚体动力学
cloth simulations, synthetic terrains.
场景模拟 人造地形
The least of things that we needed to
我们至少需要
develop new tools for was quite large and intimidating.
开♥发♥新的又大又惊人的工具
“The real point is that how can we manage to
重点是我们如何设法
change of operating procedures in that way
改变操作程序 只有这样
that we can put the revolutionised way in movies,
我们才能将变革带到电影里
so that, this is all doable.
那么 这是可行的
We’d have discussions about back and forth in the beginning,
我们会在开始时不断的重复讨论
you know,the supervisor is myself and now
我们监督管理人 现在
I want to do this, I want to do that,
我想这样做 我想那样做
and I think, WELL…
而我想
And sometimes I’d say,
有时我会说
we’re gonna do it anyway.
我们无论如何都要完成它
They said “No, we can’t.”,
他们说 不 我们完不成

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!