But in return, you exist for one thing
唯一的目的
and one thing only.
那就是鲸油
And that is whale oil.
我打算装满二千桶 尽快回家
I intend to fill our 2,000 barrels and be home as quickly as possible.
柯芬先生 甚至天气好没鲸鱼时
And even when the weather is fine and there are no whales, Mr. Coffin,
我们还是会放下小艇
we will lower the boats and practice all maneuvers
练习捕鲸必备的所有技巧
necessary in the capture of a whale.
谁偷懒就自己游回家 知道没
And any man who is idle will find himself swimming home. Is that understood?
遵命
Aye, sir.
先生
Sir.
嫩手
Greenhorn.
上甲板
On deck.
去吧
On you go.
是咧 内陆人
Aye, aye, landsman.
-汤玛斯尼可森 是吧 -是 先生
-Thomas Nickerson, right? -Aye, sir.
有些人一开始会想吐
You know, some feel sick at first.
拜托拉我上去
Please, pull me back up!
这是适应大海的最好方式
Best way to square it with King Neptune, boy!
拜托让我上去
Please bring me up!
好多了
Better now?
好恶心
Ah, shit.
先生 很抱歉
Sir, I am so sorry.
现在你可有东西写信跟老妈说了
Well, now you got something to write home to your mother about.
我妈埋在史密斯丘
My mother’s buried up in Smith’s Hill.
我爸的墓碑也在那里
There’s a stone for my father, too.
他在我出生前在海上失踪
He was lost at sea before I was born.
那个给我
Here, give me that.
这是你的家庭了 孩子
Well, this is your family now, boy.
不论好坏
For better or for worse.
大多是坏的
Worse, mostly.
甲板擦干净 小鬼
Swab the deck, kid.
轮值 今天你们会学到 当猎鲸人的本事
Dogwatch! You’re gonna learn what it takes to be Whalers today, mates.
遵命
Aye, sir!
放错绳索了 尼可森
You led that line wrong, Nickerson.
知道了
Aye, sir.
-再犯错就练到天黑 -是 乔伊先生
-We’ll stay at this till sundown if we have to. -Aye, Mr. Joy, sir!
主桅上帆的起帆索
Main topsail leech lines!
鲸叉手 准备登艇
Harpooner, make ready to boat!
-遵命 -是 乔伊先生
-Aye, sir! -Aye, Mr. Joy!
拉紧主桅上帆的起帆索 太慢了 内地人
Go main topsail leech lines. Too slow, you damn coofs!
舀水桶
The bailing piggins.
对这艘船了若指掌后
You will learn every inch of this ship
-才能回去睡觉 -遵命
-before you return to your bunks. -Aye, sir!
用力拉绳 巴齐
Sweat that line, Barz.
-动作加快 雷伊先生 -是 契斯先生
-You need to move quicker, Mr. Ray. -Aye, Mr. Chase.
我不再是嫩手了 契斯先生
Ain’t no greenhorns no more, Mr. Chase.
你是水手了
You’re a sailor now!
不错 雷伊先生 表现很好
Not bad, Mr. Ray. Well done.
-前桅帆中部 -是
-Forecourse bunts! -Aye, sir.
习惯就好 你们会被♥操♥得很凶
Get used to it, lads. You’re gonna work like horses.
契斯先生
Mr. Chase?
船长
Sir.
张开副帆
Set stunsails.
那样好吗 我们正接近墨西哥湾流
Is that wise, sir? We’re nearing the Gulf Stream.
搞清楚天气前最好保持五节
Best keep it five knots till we can see the weather.
我们落后两天了
We are two days behind.
我们要加快进度才赶得上东风
We need to make up the time if we’re to catch the easterlies.
张开副帆
Set stunsails.
-张开副帆 赶快 -是 契斯先生
-Set stunsails. -Aye, Mr. Chase!
-快过来 -拴住绳索 张开副帆
-Come on, move. -Belay that! Set stunsails!
柯芬先生 到桅顶
Get aloft, Mr. Coffin.
-船长要加速 -是
-The captain wants speed. -Aye, sir.
注意绳索
Look for braces, lads.
-调整速度 -是
-Trim for speed. -Aye, sir.
主桅上帆和上层副帆向前 赶快
Set fore the main topsail and topgallant stunsails, men. Move it.
拉紧副帆吊索
Make fast your stunsail halyard.
拉紧副帆吊索 先生
Make fast stunsail halyard, sir.
副帆杠准备好了
Stunsail boom ready, sir!
系紧上桅帆
Bracing fore topsail, sir.
好耶
Hey!
船长让我们变快了
The captain’s got us moving now!
终于有进展了
We’re finally getting somewhere!
这艘船有点年纪 但仍冲劲十足
She may be old, but she can still roll, boys!
船长 右舷船头有暴风
Sir, a squall on the starboard bow.
我们该立刻收帆减速
We must shorten sail immediately.
还不必 契斯先生
Not just yet, Mr. Chase.
船长 八节速度
Sir, we are headed into a squall at more than 8 knots,
驶向暴风太快了
and it’s moving faster than that.
没啥好怕 船员在陆地安逸太久
Let it come. The men are soft from months on land.
他们需要震憾教育
They need a good baptism.
才能展开任务
Let them know our work has begun.
若不减速和转向 船侧会受到冲击
If we don’t shorten sail and bear off, it’ll catch us on the beam.
契斯先生
Mr. Chase,
我们会勇往直前
we will stand on.
劳伦斯先生
Mr. Lawrence?
方向不变
Hold our course.
方向不变 船长
Holding course, sir.
若避开会拖延半天
We’ll lose half a day running like that.
我们会绕过暴风边缘
We’ll skirt the edge of it.
如果船员搞不定这种阵风 那就听天由命了
If the men can’t handle a gust like this, then God help us all.
准备好迎向狂风暴雨
Best secure for heavy weather.
接近暴风雨
Rough weather coming up, boys.
稳住甲板
Get this deck secure.
小艇系上双层扣带
Double gripes on the boats!
准备好面对恶劣天气 邦德先生
Best prepare for weather, Mr. Bond.
我们正朝向暴风
We’re headed into a squall.
关紧主舱
Secure the main hatch!
船速太快了
She’s moving fast!
我们必须转向且顺风而行
We must fall off and run with it.
继续前进 契斯先生
We will stand on, Mr. Chase.
劳伦斯先生
Mr. Lawrence!
-方向不变 -方向不变
-Hold your course. -Holding course, sir.
海水涌入
Sea’s coming aboard!
抓稳了
Hold on!
收帆减速 契斯先生
Shorten sail, Mr. Chase!
-沿着暴风 抓着支索 -沿着暴风
-Climb to weather and grab the shrouds! -Climb to weather!
船侧迎风 撑住
Get to windward and hold on!
-我们要放下风帆 -往背风处
-We need to get those sails down! -Go lee!
尼可森 抓紧
Nickerson, hold fast!
抓紧绳索
Hold steady lines!
抓紧
Hold fast!
转舵
Turn the ship!
转向背风
Turn to leeward!
不 已经来不及了
No! The damage is done!
-张开上层帆 让风帆鼓起 -不 转舵
-Strike topgallants. Let fly sheets! -No, turn the ship!
转向 劳伦斯先生
Veer off, Mr. Lawrence.
太迟了 为时已晚
It’s too late! It’s too goddamn late!
-会冲击到船侧 -转舵
-We’ll be broadsided! -Turn this ship!
-撑住 -转向
-Hold on! -Turn!
快张开上层帆
Strike those damn topgallants!
撑住
Hold on!
小心
Look out!
乔伊先生
Mr. Joy!
-我们要割掉上层帆 -上层帆要放掉
-We have to cut away the topgallants! -Topgallants away!
我们要让船直立
We have to get her upright!
船长 你想见我
You wish to see me, sir?
明早七点
At six bells tomorrow,
你把船员集♥合♥
you will assemble the crew.
宣布我们会回南塔克岛修船
Inform them that we will be returning to Nantucket for repairs.
你要向他们道歉
You will then apologize to them
因抵触船长的命令

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!