不 其他船都已经找齐人手
No, that all the other ships have already crewed up.
好样的
Now, now.
我改掉恶习了 欧文
I’m a reformed man, Owen.
问题是 你呢
Question is, are you?
别唬我马修乔伊戒酒了
Don’t tell me Matthew Joy’s put down the bottle.
滴酒不沾
Dry as sand.
那欧文契斯改掉坏脾气了
Has Owen Chase put down his temper?
平心静气
Ah, serene as the church.
眼见为凭
I’ll believe that when I see it.
瞧谁是船长
And given our captain,
我猜你的平静会维持…
I’ll give your serenity about
四十八小时
48 hours?
祝好运
Good luck.
波拉德 乔治波拉德
Pollard. George Pollard.
欧文契斯
Owen Chase.
契斯 是离岛姓氏吧
“Chase.” That’s an off-island name, isn’t it?
是的
Yes, it is.
很快我们会离岛一阵子
And very shortly, we will be off-island for some time,
我就会逍遥自在
and I’ll be very much at home.
我承认我有点惊讶
Must say I was surprised.
通常船长可以选择他的大副
Normally, a captain gets to choose his first mate.
有经验的船长是可以
An experienced captain, yes.
当然从业主的观点不难理解
‘Course, you can understand from the owners’ point of view,
他们想把投资交给能手
they want to feel their investment’s in the hands of men.
确实
Indeed.
他们可能想要多点保险罢了
They probably want a little extra reassurance, that’s all.
那有劳关照 我出错说一声
Well, do keep an eye on me and let me know if I’m doing anything wrong.
只能这样罗 船长
Oh, I know no other way, Captain.
契斯先生 拉起船锚
Mr. Chase, haul short the anchor.
前桅迎风 桅顶起帆
Yank to the wind! There’s topmen aloft.
-劳伦斯先生 你掌舵 -是
-Mr. Lawrence, take the helm. -Aye, sir.
乔伊先生 扬帆起航
Mr. Joy, make sail.
柯勒 查普尔 后桅纵帆旁待命
Mr. Cole! Mr. Chappel! Stand by the spanker.
张开前支索帆及前桅和主桅上帆
Set your fore staysail and your fore and main topsails.
-大伙儿打起精神 -加油 尼可森 动作快一点
-Come on, look lively, you lads. -Come on, Nickerson! While we’re young!
解开所有缆绳 放下风帆
Let fall clews and bunts and sheet ho!
张开上桅帆和上层帆
Set topsails and topgallants.
-卷起绞盘 -卷起绞盘
-Heave away on the Windlass. -Heave away on the Windlass.
张开上层帆
Set topgallants.
解开缆绳 放下风帆
Let go clew lines and sheet ho!
束帆索打结了
There’s a snarl in the gasket, sir.
查普尔先生 你掌舵
Mr. Chappel, take the helm.
解不开 契斯先生
It won’t clear, Mr. Chase!
快点 为什么绳索还没放好
Come on! Why aren’t those braces laid out?
-雷伊先生 前桅帆怎么没张开 -遵命
-Mr. Ray, where are my headsails? -Aye, sir!
转动绞盘
Crank away on the windlass!
快卷起绞盘
Crank away on the windlass, sir!
尼可森 用力拉
Nickerson, pull!
扬帆起航 该死
Make sail, God damn it!
天啊 全南塔克人都在看
God and all of Nantucket is watching, men.
船锚平衡了
Anchor’s trim!
船长 低头
Captain! Head down!
小心头 船长
Mind your head, Captain.
南塔克岛 艾塞克斯号♥
西帕德先生 怎么了
What’s the matter, Mr. Sheppard?
束帆索缠住风帆
Gasket’s fouled the sheet, sir.
解不开 契斯先生
It won’t clear, Mr. Chase!
上层帆卡住了
Topgallant sheet is jammed!
束帆索还是解不开
The gasket still won’t clear!
帆还开得不够
We don’t have enough sail on yet.
还是解不开
Still won’t clear!
小心脚步
Watch your step!
束帆索缠住了 欧文
It’s the gasket, Owen!
让开
Stand clear.
天啊 搞定了
Whoa! Bloody hell!
放下风帆
Let fall your course!
拉起
Heave!
拉紧
Make fast!
干得好 契斯先生
Nice piece of work, Mr. Chase.
若二周能到维德角
If we make Cape Verdes in the next two weeks,
我们就很有机会准时抵达太平洋
we’ll have a decent chance of reaching the Pacific on schedule.
契斯先生 来点玉米
Corn, Mr. Chase?
不 谢了
Oh, no, thank you, sir.
玉米不合我的胃口
Never did have much of a taste for it.
那可怪了
That’s odd.
听说令尊在鳕鱼角种过玉米
Told your father grew corn on Cape Cod.
没错
That’s right. He did.
那你就知道 我每天吃当然腻了
As you can imagine, I certainly grew tired of eating it every day.
玉米
Corn.
秋葵 想必还有豆子
Okra. Beans, I believe?
在他入狱之前
Before he went to jail.
乔伊先生 你熟悉这些事
Are you familiar with this story, Mr. Joy?
先生
Sir?
你知道…
Were you aware that
契斯先生的父亲坐牢 所以他跟孤儿没两样
Mr. Chase was effectively orphaned due to his father’s incarceration?
这个嘛 我们各有出海的理由
Well, we all have our own paths to sea.
通常我们不会多问
As a rule, we tend not to ask too many questions.
这可不容易
Can’t have been easy, though.
好在…
Yet
有南塔克岛的航海大家庭收留你
you had Nantucket’s great seafaring family to adopt you.
这早就不是第一次 南塔克人叫我
This is far from the first time I’ve been called a landsman
内陆人或离岛人
or an off-islander by some Nantucketer,
提醒我不是那个大家庭的一员
reminding me how I am not a part of that family.
船长 恕我失陪
Now, if the Captain will excuse me,
我要去分配捕鲸艇和值班了
there are whaleboats and watches to assign.
不 先生 我不喝
No, sir. Not for me.
-滴酒不沾 -对 先生
-Not a drop? -No, sir.
如我所说
Like I said,
有时少问为妙
sometimes the fewer questions one asks, the better.
上菜
Serve that food up.
第一天就吃这么烂
Getting this slop on the first day?
小气鬼 肉在哪里
Cheap bastards. Where’s the meat?
西帕德先生 这小妞很正
That’s a gorgeous girl, Mr. Chappel.
把我的女神刻在鲸骨上
A vision of beauty, that. Carved on a varnished whale bone.
-我摸一下 -别乱摸
-Let me have a touch. -Don’t touch.
反正你都结婚了
I thought you were married, anyway.
对 就是她
I am, and there she is.
其实只有鼻子像她
Well, that’s her nose, anyway.
恭喜 娘子军
Congratulations, ladies.
今天出航还真顺利
That was a fine job trimming sails today.
我从没见过这么逊的船队
A sorrier pack of deck wallopers I don’t think I’ve ever seen.
查普尔先生
Mr. Chappel.
先生
Sir!
你是船长的鲸叉手
You’re Captain’s harpooner.
劳伦斯先生 你是我的鲸叉手
Mr. Lawrence, you’ll be mine.
遵命
Aye, sir.
彼得森先生
And Mr. Peterson.
二副的鲸叉手
Second mate’s harpooner.
遵命
Aye, sir.
一艘小艇六人
There’ll be six men to a boat.
明天第一次训练 七点整
First drills are tomorrow. Six bells sharp.
我们连哈利法克斯东部都没到
We’re not even east of Halifax, sir.
报上名字
What’s your name?
柯芬 亨利柯芬
Coffin. Henry Coffin.
他是船长的表弟
He’s the Captain’s cousin, sir.
那好 柯芬先生
Well, well, Mr. Coffin.
你以为鲸鱼认得哈利法克斯东部
You think a whale knows if it’s east of Halifax?
我不了你们什么来头 或怎么上船的
I don’t know who all of you are or how you got here.
有些人可能犯了重罪在逃
Some of you probably have felonies to hide and you’re on the run.
无所谓 我不在乎
That’s fine. I don’t give a damn.
但作为回报 你只有一个目的

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!