请坐
Do sit down.
契斯先生
Mr. Chase.
希望你了解我们十分满意
I do hope you realize how satisfied we are
过去几年你为我们的贡献
with the work you’ve done for us over the years.
谢谢 先生
Thank you, sir.
我们其中一艘船 艾塞克斯号♥
Now, one of our ships, the Essex,
刚花大钱整修 准备出海
has just been refitted at great expense and is to go to sea.
既然所费不赀
Now, having made such an investment in her,
我们一定要把它交给顶尖能手
we want to be sure she’s in the best possible hands.
所以
So,
我们很乐意提供你船上的职位
it gives us great pleasure to offer you a position aboard her.
做为大副
As first mate.
大副
As first mate?
梅森先生 上次返航 你承诺让我当船长
Mr. Mason, you promised me command of a ship after my last voyage
我为您带回一千五百桶 记得吗
when I brought you back 1,500 barrels. Do you remember?
你向我保证过
You gave me your word.
那个保证必须延期了
That promise must now be deferred.
时机歹歹 我们最近获利不佳
Like everyone else, we’ve had a lean time recently.
由我监督就不会
No, never on my watch.
南塔克岛已主宰全球市场
Nantucket now dominates the world market.
这是不可改变的事实
That must not change.
没有试用时间了
This is no time for experimentation.
艾塞克斯号♥的船长是乔治波拉德
The Essex will be captained by George Pollard,
伟大捕鲸家族的后裔
scion of a great whaling family.
他父亲恰好也是我们的赞助人
His father also happens to be our patron.
血统很重要 契斯先生
Blood, Mr. Chase.
你的航行成就不同凡响
You can have all the voyages under your belt you want,
但血统始终会胜出
but blood will always win out.
对 但血统不会让你满载而归
Yes, well, blood is not gonna fill a ship with oil, Mr. Mason.
船长要服得了人 才能成功指挥
To successfully command, a captain needs respect.
要是水手不服他呢
Now, what if the men don’t respect him?
你要确保他们服从他
You will make sure that they do.
再见 各位
Ah, good day, gentlemen.
我了解你的失望
I understand your disappointment,
那么…
so,
十五分之一的分红
a one-fifteenth lay.
这是我给过大副最高的价码
That’s more than I’ve ever paid any first officer.
只要带回二千桶鲸油 我向你保证…
And if you bring back 2,000 barrels of oil, I give you my word,
下次你会当上船长
next time, you will have your captaincy.
你早就向我保证过 梅森先生
You’ve given me your word before, Mr. Mason.
这次我要白纸黑字
No, this time, I’ll take it in writing.
波拉德船长
Captain Pollard.
我们刚跟契斯先生相谈甚欢
We’ve just had a most agreeable conversation with Mr. Chase.
他会很荣幸当你的大副
He’ll be honored to serve under you.
我很庆幸听到
I’m glad to hear it.
居然要我当个嫩手的褓姆
Now I’m to babysit a greenhorn.
含金汤匙出生的没种南塔克岛人
Some chinless Nantucketer born with a damn silver spoon in his mouth.
我应该把合同丢回他们脸上
You know, I should’ve thrown the offer back in their faces.
为什么 你这次有书面保证了
Why? You now have the offer of command in writing.
是咧 骗子的话不可信 就算有书面也是
Yes, well, a liar’s word is worthless, even on paper.
就算你是商船船长 我会同样爱你
You know, I’d love you just as much if you were a merchant captain.
你也不会一去就是两年
And you wouldn’t be gone for two years.
我不会去到两年
I won’t be gone two years.
贝特福特的捕鲸船出去三年 上周才回来
A Bedford whaler came back last week who was gone three.
两人罹难 收获量才一半
She lost two men and still with her hull half empty.
那是贝特福特人 可惜他们没找我
Yeah, well, they were from Bedford, and they didn’t have me on board.
王八蛋
Son of a bitch!
我要指挥自己的船
I will captain my own ship!
捕鲸船
A whaling ship.
靠他们 我们永远只能住茅屋
Up to them, all we’d ever have is this patch of dirt,
门都没有 佩姬
and that’s not gonna happen, Peggy.
你只是重复你♥爸♥的话
Those are your father’s words, not yours.
他的话有错吗
What’s wrong with his words?
他是为了家人和自己
He wanted things for his family, for himself.
他是梦想家 欧文
He was a dreamer, Owen.
没错
Yes, he was.
梦想海洋 却被那些烂人限制出海
Dreamed of the sea and never got to sail it because of men like them.
至少他看得到孩子出生
At least he got to see his children born.
捕鲸是我唯一擅长的
It’s all I know.
抱歉
I’m sorry.
我嫁给猎鲸人
I married a whaleman.
听着
Hey.
我会尽快回来 我发誓
I’ll come back as quick as a summer’s night, I swear.
要平安回来
Just come back.
向我保证
Promise me.
我已经发誓 还得向你保证
I already swore to you. Now you want me to promise, too?
我保证
I promise.
孩子 借一步说话
Son, a word with you.
当船长就不能当朋友
To be a captain, you cannot be a friend.
你是他们的上司
You are their superior.
千万别忘记这点 也别让他们忘记
Never forget that. Never let them forget that.
谢谢 先生
Thank you, sir.
你曾祖父和几个伙伴创立捕鲸业
Your great-grandfather and a few others created this industry.
没有我们 没有你 世界就会黯淡无光
Without us, without you, the world plunges into darkness.
我希望为波拉德家族带来荣耀
I hope to bring honor to the Pollard family name, sir.
主啊 祢创造了巨鲸
“Thou didst, O Lord, create the mighty whale
那般雄伟颀长的巨怪
“That wondrous monster of a mighty length
无以忖度那无穷的力量
“Beyond conception his unmeasured strength
但永存的上帝 在祢的定夺之下
“But, everlasting God, thou dost ordain
我们软弱的凡人该竭尽全力
“That we, poor feeble mortals should engage
为自己和妻小谋生
“Ourselves, our wives and children to maintain
以英勇的盛怒抵抗这可怕怪物
“This dreadful monster with a martial rage”
天父 赐予祢的荣光照耀这些人
O Father, grant that your glorious light shine on these men.
担♥保♥他们旅途丰收
Ensure them a prosperous voyage,
平安返乡 满载而归
that they may return safely and with a full ship,
使南塔克鲸油的白焰
so that the white flames of Nantucket whale oil
能继续照亮我们的家和街道
may continue to keep light in our homes,
免于夜晚的罪恶
city streets safe from sin in the night,
并供给工业机械的燃料
and to fuel the machines of industry
以推动伟大祖国的进步
that drive our great nation forward
跟上吾国高贵人种的进化
as our noble species evolves.
我们以主之名祈祷
In your name, we pray.
那么
So
当时是几月
what month was this?
年底
Late in the year.
我们是最后出航的船
We were one of the last ships to go out,
所以我和我朋友巴齐莱 才能上船工作
which is why my friend Barzillai and I got a berth.
那时…
You know,
我当时才十四岁
I was 14.
十四岁呢
Fourteen.
尼可森 别闲晃了 快干活
Nickerson, you’re standing around, boy. Move!
第一次出海
First time to sea.
很害怕 但更害怕泄露出惊恐
Scared, but more scared to show it.
巴齐莱十七岁
Barzillai was 17.
孤儿 在码头长大
Orphans. Grew up on the wharf.
我们俩都急着想长大成人
Both in a hurry to be called men.
伙伴 他们戴的饰针是什么
Grubs, what are those pins they’re wearing?
是猎鲸饰针 汤玛斯
They’re whale pins, Thomas.
怎样才会有
How do I get one of them?
你要用矛枪刺死…
Well, you gotta thrust the killing lance
地球有史以来最大的野 兽
into the largest beast that ever breathed on this Earth.
尼可森 把蔬菜拿给邦德先生
Nickerson, get the green stuff to Mr. Bond, there.
还不快去
Make it quick, damn it.
总有一天我会有十二个饰针
I shall have 12 of those one day.
绞盘准备好了 帆也松开了
Windlass is ready and sails are loose, sir.
乔伊先生 这只是我订的一半
Mr. Joy, this is only half my order!
放在底层水桶上
Put them over the ground tier casks.
你上船只代表一件事
Well, well, you being on board means only one thing.
代表船上有人知道
Yeah, at least there’s one person on this ship
欧文契斯的底细
who knows the truth about Owen Chase.