It’s a leisurely afternoon of golf
在宜人的球场打高尔夫
along a pleasant course.
自♥由♥是游乐场 是坐过山车
It’s an amusement park, a rollercoaster ride.
是在县集市的一天
A day at the county fair.
这是激动人心的一天
A day of excitement,
华兹抗♥议♥ 洛杉矶 1965年8月
不受限制地跨越全部五十个州
unrestricted travel across all our 50 states,
不受限制地欣赏这片大♥陆♥上的所有美景
unlimited enjoyment of all these jewels in the continent’s crown.
对于我们所有人来说 这就是美国
For all of us, there’s all of America,
有着美丽的风景 历史遗产
in all of its scenic beauty, all of its heritage of history,
和无尽的机遇
all of its limitless opportunity…
我们已经在越南投了太多炸♥弹♥
We’ve dropped too many bombs on Vietnam now.
让我们拯救我们国家的荣誉吧
Let us save our national honor!
停止轰炸
Stop the bombing,
停止战争
and stop the war!
我想告诉这个国家
What I am trying to say to this country,
告诉我们
to us,
我们必须知道这一点
is that we must know this.
我们必须意识到
We must realize this,
世界上没有其他哪个国家
that no other country in the world
如此辽阔 如此时尚 如此安全
have been so fat and so sleek, and so safe,
如此幸福 如此没有责任感
and so happy, and so irresponsible,
如此冷漠
and so dead.
没有其他哪个国家能实现这样的梦想
No other country can afford to
有一辆普利茅斯车和一位妻子
dream of a Plymouth and a wife
一幢篱笆围起来的房♥子
and a house with a fence,
孩子们安全地长大
and the children growing up safely
上大学 成为行政主管
to go to college and to become executives,
然后结婚
and then to marry,
购买♥♥普利茅斯车和房♥子等等
and have the Plymouth and the house and so forth.
许多人并不这样生活
A great many people do not live this way,
也无法想象这样的生活
and cannot imagine it,
他们不知道当我们谈论”民♥主♥”时
and do not know that when we talk about “Democracy”,
指的就是这个意思
this is what we mean.
加油 向前冲
考虑到其构建方式
The industry is compelled,
业界不得不如此
given the way it is built,
向美国人♥民♥展现
to present to the American people
对美国生活的一种自我延续的幻想
a self-perpetuating fantasy of American life.
他们对娱乐的概念
Their concept of entertainment
与麻醉剂相仿
is difficult to distinguish from the use of narcotics.
她们交黑人男友有什么让你担心的吗
What worries you about them having black partners?
家庭种族战争
我大吃一惊 我的女儿正在约会
你觉得人们会看不起她们
Do you think people are gonna look down on them,
凯西承认她不希望她的两个女儿与黑人约会
我的未婚夫在与我妹妹还有同事偷♥情♥吗
威利斯正第十三次向克劳迪雅求婚并希望她能同意
或对她们评头论足吗
or judge them?
对 我认为人们会瞧不起她们
Yes, I think people look down.
随便看一会电视
To watch the TV screen for any length of time
就能了解有关美国现实的
is to learn some really frightening things
一些真正可怕的事
about the American sense of reality.
我们被残忍♥地陷于理想自我
We are cruelly trapped between what we would like to be
和现实自我之间
and what we actually are.
我们无法成为自己想成为的人
And we cannot possibly become what we would like to be
除非我们愿意扪心自问
until we are willing to ask ourselves
为什么我们在这片大♥陆♥上的生活
just why the lives we lead on this continent
大部分时间都如此空虚
are mainly so empty,
如此乏味 如此丑陋
so tame, and so ugly.
这些形象不是为了惹麻烦
These images are designed not to trouble,
而是为了消除疑虑
but to reassure.
它们也削弱了我们直面真实世界
They also weaken our ability to deal with the world as it is,
直面真实自我的能力
ourselves as we are.
我想邀请另一位嘉宾上台
I would like to add someone to our group here,
保罗·韦斯教授
Professor Paul Weiss,
耶鲁大学杰出的哲学教授
the sterling professor of philosophy at Yale.
你在后台能听到节目吗
Were you able to listen to the show backstage?
我听到了很多
I heard a good deal of it,
但后来我就去那东西后面了
but then I was behind the whatsitmajig.
-是的 -所以我只听到一部分
-Yes. -So I heard only some of it.
你听到了任何你不认同的吗
Did you hear anything that you disagreed with?
好多我都不认同
I disagreed with a great deal of it,
当然 也有许多我非常赞同
and of course, there’s a good deal I agree with.
但我认为他忽略了一件很重要的事
But I think he’s overlooking one very important matter, I think.
我觉得我们每个人都非常孤独
Each one of us, I think, is terribly alone.
他过着自己的生活
He lives his own individual life.
他遇到各种障碍 宗教信仰 肤色
He has all kind of obstacles, the way of religion or color
身高 体型或能力的缺乏
or size or shape or lack of ability,
问题是要像个男子汉
and the problem is to become a man.
但我刚谈论的不是这个问题
But what I was discussing was not that problem, really.
我在讨论的是当一个黑鬼 黑人
I was discussing the difficulties, the obstacles,
试图做个男子汉时的困难 阻碍
the very real danger of death thrown up by the society
和社会带来的非常真实的生命危险
when a Negro, when a black man, attempts to become a man.
所有这些有关黑人和白人的言论
All this emphasis upon black man and white,
确实强调了某些问题
does emphasize something which is here,
但也强调或者说夸大了这些问题
but it emphasizes, or perhaps exaggerates it,
从而迫使我们把人们划分成了
and therefore makes us put people together in groups
本不应该划分的群体
which they ought not to be in.
我和一位黑人学者的共同点
I have more in common with a black scholar
比我和一位反对学术研究的白人要多
than I have with a white man who is against scholarship.
你和一位白人作家的共同点
And you have more in common with a white author
比你和一位反对一切文学的人要多
than you have with someone who is against all literature.
所以为什么我们总是关注肤色
So why must we always concentrate on color,
或宗教信仰这些呢
or religion, or this?
还有许多其他方式把人们联♥系♥在一起
There are other ways of connecting men.
这么跟你说吧
I’ll tell you this.
当我1948年离开这个国家时
When I left this country in 1948,
我离开的原因只有一个
I left this country for one reason only,
只有一个 我不在乎我要去哪里
one reason… I didn’t care where I went.
我可能去了香港 去了廷巴克图I might’ve gone to Hong Kong, I might have gone to Timbuktu.
西非马里中部历史名城
我最后去了巴黎 在巴黎街道上
I ended up in Paris, on the streets of Paris,
兜里有四十块钱
with 40 dollars in my pocket and the theory
更坏的事不会再发生的说法根本没用
that nothing worse could happen to me there
因为它已经发生了
than had already happened to me here.
你说要自己当作家
You talk about making it as a writer by yourself,
你必须开启所有
you have to be able then to turn up all the antennae
你赖以生存的触角
by which you live,
因为一旦你背弃这个社会
because once you turn your back on this society,
你可能会死
you may die.
你可能会死
You may die.
如果你害怕周围的世界
And it’s very hard to sit at a typewriter,
那坐在打字机前全神贯注思考
and concentrate on that,
会很困难
if you are afraid of the world around you.
我在巴黎居住的那些年让我做到了一件事
The years I lived in Paris did one thing for me:
它们把我从社会恐惧中解放出来
they released me from that particular social terror,
那不是我自己的妄想
which was not the paranoia of my own mind,
而是在每个警♥察♥ 每个老板以及每个人面前
but a real social danger visible in the face of every cop,
都能看到的一种真正的社会危险
every boss, everybody.
我不知道这个国家大部分白人的想法
I don’t know what most white people in this country feel.
但我能了解他们
But I can only include what they feel
在他们的制度中的感受
from that state of their institutions.
我不了白人基♥督♥徒是否憎恨黑人
I don’t know if white Christians hate Negroes or not,
但我知道我们既有一个白人基♥督♥教会
but I know we have a Christian church which is white
又有一个黑人基♥督♥教会
and a Christian church which is black.
正如马尔科姆·X曾说的
I know, as Malcolm X once put it,
美国种族隔离最严重的时刻
the most segregated hour in American life
是在礼拜日的中午
is high noon on Sunday.
对我而言 这说明了一个基♥督♥教国家的情况
That says a great deal for me about a Christian nation.
这意味着我不能信任大多数白人基♥督♥徒
It means I can’t afford to trust most white Christians
我当然也不能相信基♥督♥教会
and I certainly cannot trust the Christian church.
我不知道工会及其领导人
I don’t know whether the labor unions and their bosses
是否真的恨我 那没关系
really hate me. That doesn’t matter,
但我知道我不是工会成员
but I know I’m not in their unions.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!