and now its global, and that’s all because of Bruce Lee.
现在却名满天下 这都归功于李小龙
Ultimately, martial art means honestly expressing yourself.
从本质上说 武术的精髓在于展现真我
Now, it is very difficult to do.
这是极难做到的
A lot of that warrior spirit, to me it’s really honorable.
武术精神对我来说是精深且高尚的
It’s really pure.
它十分的纯粹
It breaks through to every culture, every language, every colour.
武术没有文化 语言 肤色之分
It’s all about getting respect back, you know.
这是一条自我实现的道路
If you’re gonna hurt me,
想让我尊重你
you’re gonna have to earn it, motherfucker.
你就得比我更强 混♥蛋♥
I was the youngest of three boys.
我在家里排行老三
I got obsessed with Bruce Lee and martial arts.
而李小龙和他的功夫让我神魂颠倒
I wanted to kick my brothers’ asses and prove my worthiness.
我特想揍我哥哥们一顿来证明我的价值
When a good fight breaks out, you can’t help but be excited.
一场精彩的打斗会让人不自禁地热血沸腾
You can’t help but show emotion.
你会变得情绪激动
It took a while, but you know,
这事得慢慢来
as many times as each of my brothers beat me up,
从一开始我的哥哥们一次次痛扁我
each one of them got one ass-kicking from me and that was it.
变成我打得他们头破血流后 我终于做到了
I didn’t do so well talking shit back,
我一直不擅长打嘴仗
so I don’t see the point in talking about it.
所以别光说不练
Let’s just go there.
还是干一架吧
But then you feel bad
但事后你总会觉得有些窘迫
and kind of embarrassed afterwards, “That was childish.”
你会觉得 真糟糕 “太幼稚了”
“I could have handled that better.” But you also feel good.
“本可以化干戈为玉帛” 但总的来说还不错
If you couldn’t get laid, you got in a fight.
约不到炮 就找人打一架吧
Let me punch this ugly motherfucker.
让我料理了这个王八蛋
In Youngstown. It was a nice place to live.
扬斯敦可是武术家的天堂
Fighting has taken over my mind and my being.
技击已经融入了我的生活
It’s not what I do. It’s who I am.
它不仅是一个职业 更是一种自我诠释
My father told me fighters are born, not made.
父亲曾告诉我 武术家是天生而非培养出的
Bruce Lee was a born fighter.
李小龙就是一个天生的武术家
When you do punch, now I’m leaning forward a little bit,
出拳时 我会前倾一些
hoping not to hurt any camera angle.
尽量不给摄像机留下盲区
I mean, you gotta put the whole hip into it and snap it,
攒足全身劲力 然后爆发出击
and get all your energy in there, and make this into a weapon.
将所有的能量汇聚一点 一击破敌
When Bruce Lee was a young boy,
李小龙年纪尚小时
maybe 13 or 14, and he was training in Wing Chun,
大概十三岁左右 他开始学习咏春拳
they found out that Bruce Lee had Caucasian blood.
他们发现李小龙有白人血统
I believe it’s one fourth German. Well?
大概是四分之一的德国人血统 嗯?
The other students said he shouldn’t be allowed to learn Wing Chun
别的学生就说应该禁止他学习咏春
because he wasn’t purely Chinese.
因为他血统不正
When you’re by yourself
当你被所有人孤立
and no one wants to be there
而别人趋于暴♥力♥
because they didn’t wanna get beat up,
不敢为你挺身而出时
it’s the most lonely feeling in the world.
那种感觉是无比孤独的
One thing I have definitely learned in my life is
我在我人生中所意识到的一件事就是
that I do have a bad temper.
我脾气确实不好
A violent temper. In fact.
可以说是很不好
His whole life is sort of this play between East and West.
他的整个人生就在东西方交错中徘徊
He hated the oppression of little people
他憎恨所有他所目睹
which he saw everywhere,
来自统治阶级的压♥迫♥
in the Japanese occupation,
不论是日军侵华
the Boxer Rebellion,
还是义和团运动
the foreign powers going into China.
或是其他国家入侵中国的行为
He just thought all of that was wrong.
他觉得这一切都是不对的
To live the life he wanted to live, he had to fight for it.
为了活出自己的人生 他不得不战斗下去
He really had to put it out there and really walk the walk.
他必须坚持自己的信念 做到知行合一
I mean, it is easy for me to put on a show
我可以摆一些花架子
and be cocky and be flooded with a cocky feeling
然后为此洋洋得意
and then feel like pretty cool and all that.
骄傲自满 这么做很容易
Or I can make all kinds of phoney things, you see what I mean?
我也能做到以假乱真
Blinded by it. Or I can show you some really fancy movement.
蒙蔽自己的双眼 给别人展示一些花哨动作
But to express oneself honestly, not lying to oneself,
但如何展现真我 而非自欺欺人
and to express myself honestly,
展现真正的武学
that, my friend, is…
我的朋友 那就是
In some ways it’s the total opposite of anger.
武术有时又是与愤怒格格不入
It’s beauty, it’s passion, it’s art.
那是美感 激♥情♥ 艺术的结合统一
It’s… it’s painting a picture without tools.
武学的艺术 就像徒手作画一般
It was a surprise, but an understandable one,
当我发现李小龙还是一个恰恰高手时
when I found out that Bruce Lee was a cha-cha champion.
我倍感震惊 不过这也合情合理
Because you could see that reflected in his fighting style.
因为他的打斗风格就反映出了这一事实
He was the 1957 Hong Kong cha-cha champion.
他曾在1957年香港恰恰舞比赛中夺冠
People don’t know that.
人们大都没注意到
His footwork was impeccable. Incredible samba dancer.
他是个优秀的桑巴舞者 步法无懈可击
He didn’t move like anybody else. He moved like himself.
从不跟风的他走出了自己的风格
In a fight you have footwork and you have form
在一场打斗中你得走好步法 摆好架势
and you have stance and power that you interject,
蓄势待发 随时准备出击
and that’s the way
而在这方面
that dancing and martial arts go hand in hand.
舞蹈和武术是相通的
For him to be steeped into that rhythm reinforced
他沉浸在自己创造的节奏中
why black people have always identified
正因如此 许多黑人
with Bruce and his fighting style.
非常认同布鲁斯的武打风格
So what I got from Bruce as a performer is…
因此布鲁斯给我作为一个舞者的灵感是
You know, most performers perform like this, right?
大多数舞者都这个架势对吧
Straight up.
直挺挺的
Me, perform from the side,
我呢 更喜欢侧过身来
sort of like how Bruce used to always, you know,
有点像布鲁斯的习惯动作
be ready for combat like this.
就像准备好战斗那样
Honestly expressing yourself, like me being a dancer,
展现出真实的自我 就像我身为舞者
that’s what it’s all about.
这就是我们所追求的
That’s another big, big philosophy from him
这是我从他身上学到
that I take with me to this day.
且受用至今的另一条哲学至理
So I’ll be performing like, “Bah bah! Bah bah bahbah!”
所以我的节奏像这样 啪啪啪啪
I keep trying to dig deeper and deeper within myself
我一直在发掘自己的潜能
and find that fluidity that no one can replicate.
试图开创自己独有的绝招
That’s the vibe that Bruce Lee taught me.
这就是李小龙给我的启发
It’s to always bring it.
永远坚持自己
That’s what I get from Bruce.
这就是我从布鲁斯身上学到的
And when did you leave Hong Kong?
你多久离开香港的呢
1959, when I was 18.
1959年 我十八岁时
It had gotten a little difficult with the police on one side
要同时应付警♥察♥和当地混混造成的麻烦
and with gangs on the other side.
的确十分棘手
He beat this kid up, but he didnt know
他揍了一个孩子 但他不知道
that the kid was the son of
那是一名
a high-ranking police officer in Hong Kong.
英国高级警官的孩子
He got into so many street fights that by 18,
十八岁之前他参加了许多街头斗殴
his father gave him $100
他父亲不得已给了他100美金
and sent him off to America.
并把他送回美国
If he wanted his immigration status to be US citizen,
如果他想正式移♥民♥美国
then he had to return by the time he was 18.
就得在十八岁时回去
To go when you’re still a star is very strange,
在小有名气时离开确实不符合常理
because he could have kept doing films,
因为他本可以留下来继续拍电影的
but they wanted him to go,
但他的家人希望他离开
to make the right decision of where he’s going next.
以在以后的人生道路上做出正确的选择
1959年
美国
In Seattle, my father started teaching martial arts.
爸爸到西雅图后开始教授武术
He didn’t ever look at people
他根本不在乎
because of their race or their stature in life.
自己学员的种族以及社会地位
If you had a sincere interest in martial arts,
只要你诚心想学
he would teach you.
他就愿意教你
Taky Kimura was really his best friend.
木村武之和他成为了真正的忘年交
Taky became his first assistant instructor in his first school,
木村成了他武术学校的第一个助理教练
the Jun Fan Kung Fu Institute, in Seattle, Washington.
即坐落于西雅图的振藩国术馆
Bruce used to come to my high school
布鲁斯曾来到我们高中
and he used to teach in the Chinese philosophy class.
教授一些中国哲学课程
He was five years older than we were,
他比我们大了五岁左右
and I do remember my heart going,
而我清晰地记得当时心头的小鹿
“Pah,pah,pah” You know, he is sure cute.
啪啪啪跳个不停 他太可爱了
It wasn’t long after that
那之后不久
that I started taking Kung Fu lessons from him
我也开始去他那学习功夫
and my relationship with him changed more from just a student
我和他的关系也从师生