There are other things that interest me, too.
在这儿停一会儿好吗?还是你必须回家?
Do you mind if we stay here awhile, or must you go home?
在我的生活中没有什么事是”必须”的
There are no musts in my life.
我是自♥由♥人 白种人 二十一岁
I’m free, white, and 21.
你是福气人
You’re lucky.
为什么?
Why?
你能随便上哪儿去 什么时间都行
Well, you can go where you want, when you want.
你不行吗?
Can’t you?
能 也不能
Yes… And no.
你是个奇怪的 性情忧郁的人…
You’re a strange, moody person.
你需要别人把你从苦闷中解脱出来
You need somebody to pull you out of those doldrums.
你申请承担这个职务吗?
Are you applying for that job?
我可以考虑
I might consider it.
我雇用你了
You’re hired.
什么时候开始?
When do I start?
你已经开始了 几小时之前
You started several hours ago.
你明白吗 玛丽?
Don’t you see, Marie?
要是你同意离婚 你要什么我给什么…我发誓
If you get a divorce, I’ll give you anything you want. I swear I will.
闹有什么用?闹吧 闹吧!
What’s the use of arguing, arguing?
我已经跟你说过 我对于现在这种状况很满意
I’m satisfied with how things are!
难道你看不出来 这样咱俩谁都得不到快乐吗?
Neither of us will be happy this way.
我是快乐的 我根本不可能放你走
I’m happy! I won’t let you go.
有朝一日你会变成大人物 有大把钱 我准备继续这样过下去
You’ll be a big shot someday. I’m going to ride right along.
明白吗?
Get that?
我不是傻瓜…要是现在放你走 我可就成笨蛋了
I’d be a sucker to let you go.
可是我在爱一个人 你明白吗?
I’m in love with another woman.
这太糟糕了
Oh, that’s just too bad.
你干吗不把良心摆正呢?
Play the game square.
这样你和你的小心肝就可以堂而皇之地不理我啦?
SquareSo that you can give me the grand go-by?
你放明白点吧
Ah, be yourself.
要是你不讲道理 我会想别的办法!
If you don’t listen to reason, I’ll find some way.
要是你那样办 你会去坐一辈子牢的
You do, and you’ll serve out your time.
和你一起过日子还不如坐牢呢
It’s no worse than serving out my time with you!
你说这话会后悔的!
You’ll be sorry you said that!
听着!
Now, listen!
你把刀搁在我脖子上的时间够长了 现在是咱们散伙的时候了
You’ve held a sword over my head long enough.
你讹诈我 我居然上你的钩 太窝囊了
You’ve been pulling a bluff! I’ve been fool enough to fall for it!
你这个肮胜的死囚徒!
You good-for-nothing convict!
讹诈 呃?
A bluff, eh?
你等着瞧吧
You’ll see! You’ll see!
放下!
Put that down!
给我接警♥察♥局
Give me the police!
放下!
Put that down!
你以为这样能制止我?我主意已定 你阻挡不了
That won’t stop me! I’ve decided!
玛丽!
Marie!
我们只占你一点儿时间 詹姆斯先生…
We’ll only take a minute of your time.
由于你建造新史蒂文桥的卓越成就
In view of your achievement on the new Stevens bridge,
商会希望你在下次宴会上作主要发言
the chamber of commerce would like you as their principal speaker at their next banquet.
非常感谢
Thank you very much. I feel highly complimented.
喂
Yes?
来了两名侦探 艾伦先生
There’s two detectives coming through.
我对他们说你正忙 但是他们不肯等
I said you were busy. They wouldn’t wait.
抱歉
I’m… I’m sorry.
我不得不向你们表示抱歉
I’m afraid you’ll have to excuse me.
我们有逮捕证 詹姆斯先生 或艾伦先生 你被捕了
Mr. James or Mr. Allen, I’ve a warrant for your arrest.
芝加哥为艾伦免服带镣苦役而斗争
“好好先生”公民面临牢狱之灾
本地带镣苦役队管理当局对芝加哥拒绝帮助表示愤慨
我们要他归案
我们可以引用你的话吗?
And we can quote you literally?
当然可以 我所说的件件属实…
Certainly. Everything I’ve said are facts.
我要揭露这种腐朽的带镣苦役制度…
I want this rotten chain gang system exposed.
全都登出去
Print it all!
给本报的星期副刊写一篇署名报道好吗?
How about a signed story?
乐意效劳
Sure. I’ll write it. Gladly.
艾伦先生 你之前在铁镣帮待了多久?
How long were you on the chain gang before, Mr. Allen?
这是文明世界吗?
当一个已经成为这个城市的优秀公民的人 受到中世纪酷刑的威胁时 我们不该支持他吗?
州的权利竟然扫地以尽?
一州的州长竟然拒绝承认另一州的权利 实属可悲
州长巴杰尔还没有签署引渡的文件
Governor Baxter has not yet signed the extradition papers.
在他签署之前 我不能把艾伦先生交由贵州拘留
Until he does, I cannot turn Mr. Allen over to the custody of your state.
考虑到艾伦逃走之后的案情
In view of Allen’s record since his escape,
本州当局授权我对贵方保证
our state has authorized us to assure you
假如他自动归案并偿还当局为追捕他而付出的全部开支
that if he’ll return voluntarily and pay the state the expense it’s been put to,
他将会在九十天后被赦免
he’ll be pardoned in 90 days.
为什么我的当事人非要回去不可呢?
Why is it necessary for my client to return?
为什么要对一个已经证明是有用的和忠诚的公民严加惩治呢?
Why mete out punishment to a man who has proven himself a useful citizen?
这只是一个技术性问题
Merely a technicality.
服刑不满九十天的犯人都不符合赦免的条件
No prisoner is eligible for pardon until he has served 90 days.
你的意思是说我必须在带镣苦役队服劳役九十天吗?
Does that mean I’ll have to serve 90 days on the chain gang?
不 你可以在某个监狱里做一些抄写工作
No. You’ll be given some clerical job in one of the camps.
这件事情完全由我的当事人来决定 但是我应忠告他留在此地
Well, it rests entirely with my client, but I’d advise him to stay right here.
Gentlemen…
我愿意征求另一个人的意见
There’s someone else I’d like to consult,
可以让我离开一会儿吗?
if you don’t mind.
当然可以
Certainly.
当然可以
Certainly.
他们说要是我回去的话 答应在九十天之后赦免我
They promised me a full pardon within 90 days… If I go back.
你信得过他们吗?
Can you trust them?
我看不出有什么可疑之处
I don’t see why not.
我去自首
I’m giving myself up voluntarily.
再说 我愿意把这件事彻底了结
Besides, I want to get it all cleaned up now
我们的幸福就不受任何威胁了
so that nothing will stand in the way of our happiness.
这可是再好不过了 亲爱的…
I think it’s best, darling.
他们不会不赦免你的 你完全应当得到宽恕
Why, they can’t fail to pardon you.
三个月之后你可以回来
And then when you come back,
自♥由♥ 永远地
you’ll be free for always…
我们将在一起 永远地
And we’ll be together… Always.
先生们 你们听到的这些故事是荒谬的
These stories you’ve been hearing, gentlemen, are absurd.
整个说来 我们的带镣苦役队对犯人是有益的
Why, our chain gangs are beneficial to the convicts,
不但在身体方面 而且在道德方面
not only physically, but morally.
我可以列举出…
I could cite you…
既然你们保证赦免 我就和你们一起回去
Gentlemen, I’ve decided to go back… Voluntarily… On your assurance of a pardon.
你可不要翻悔你的决定
And you won’t regret your decision.
艾伦先生 我想你的芝加哥律师已经通知你
I presume, Mr. Allen, your Chicago attorney’s informed you
我将在这里全权负责你的案子
that I would be in complete charge of your case down here.
是的
Yes, he did.
我们先上我的办公室 把未了的帐目清理一下
Let’s get the financial end straightened out first.
州政♥府♥为追捕和遣返你所花的费用是三百五十美元…
Your capture and return cost the state $350.
我的费用是两千五百美元
My fee will be 2,500,
现在付一千 赦免的时候再付一千五
1,000 now and 1,500 when you get your release.
这是给州政♥府♥的
This is for the state.
当然 你知道
You know, of course,
你要到一个监狱呆九十天
that you’ll go to a prison camp for 90 days.
这是给你的支票
There’s your check.
谢谢 艾伦
Thanks, Allen.
九十天之后 没有理由认为我不会得到赦免 是这样吧?
There’s no reason to believe that after the 90 days… I won’t get my pardon then, is there?
是的 这是个奇怪的州
Why, this is a funny state,
州长有点 呃 古怪
and the governor’s a little peculiar.
你瞧 你在条件问题上大做了一番文章
You see, all that publicity you gave out
可是在这儿却一点也不起作用
about the conditions here didn’t help any.
那么我将得到赦免吗?
But I’ll get my pardon?
他们将赦免你
Oh, they’ll give you the pardon,
但是他们答应你的抄写工作并没有落实…
but that clerical job they promised you isn’t so definite.
他们可能让你干六十天苦役…
They might want you to work for about 60 days.
就是为了这个家伙才把这儿弄得忙乱不堪
This is the guy that all that fuss was about!
要是他图谋逃跑 开枪打他
If he tries to escape, shoot him!
我是个靠得住的人
EscapeI’m supposed to be a trusty.
你接到监狱委员会的命令了吗?
Haven’t you had orders from the prison commission?
当然 我接到命令
Sure, I got orders.
这回你要是逃跑 就要撤我的职
If you get away, I lose my job!
你们这些人也一样 明白了吗?
That goes for all of you, get me?
带他过去
Take him out!
Go on!
给自己找个铺位!