I’ve taken into my own home the employ of…
出没于那些我在大白天都不敢涉足的地方
Streets that I would be frightened to go into in broad daylight.
我容许你晚上在伦敦街头漫步
I’ve allowed you to roam the streets of London late at night.
我放任你已经很久了
I’ve induldged you too long.
若这能让你恢复理智 未尝不可
Well, if that what it takes to bring to your senses, so be it.
我知道你说过 但我以为你不是认真的
I know you did, but I didn’t think you mean it.
在这方面我不会再资助你了
I’m not giving you any further support in that regard.
昨天已经跟你说了
I already told you yesterday,
不不不 不行
No, no, no, no.
我们的煤又烧完了 我需要十英镑
We’re out of coal again and I need ten pounds.
也不尽然
It isn’t my sole intention.
难道一心就想捣乱吗
if your sole intention is to be disruptive.
我完全不知道你来这儿是为了什么
I don’t know why you bother coming here at all,
迟不得”
Mustn’t be late for supper”
一会就好 我得赶回家去吃饭
Just got to pop home.
“再忍♥忍♥ 亲爱的
won’t be a minute.
或许我该对丽兹说…
I suppose I should’ve said to Lizzie, “Hold tight, darling,
噢 也许是吧
Oh, that’s probably true.
不再守时 也不讲礼数
punctuality or decorum.
是啊 不幸的是 这些经历让她…
Yes, unfortunately, the experience has left her without a sense of
那儿是不幸者的天堂
House of Haven for the less-fortunate.
夏洛特主管东部救助站
Charlotte is the mistress at the East End Settlement,
你又怎么看呢
What say you, then?
只有喝了杜松子酒才能开始研究医术
can only steady his scalpel with a quart of gin.
巷子里的医生也这么说 但在他那儿
The lone doctor in my neighborhood
最好还是留给专业人士去讨论
are best left to those who are trained.
我认为 这些严肃的医学问题
I believe that serious medical matters,
还是说 生命的奇迹是个不分场合的话题呢
or miracle of life suited for any setting?
晚餐时应绝口不提
best avoided at supper,
分娩 一个肮脏而又令人不适的话题
Childbirth. Nasty, uncomfortable topic
你觉得呢
what say you?
格兰维尔医生
Dr. Granville,
我不过试着找点话题嘛
Only trying to make the conversation sufficiently benign.
噢 够了…夏洛特
Oh, that’s enough, Charlotte.
艾米丽呢 那些萝卜合你胃口吗
And Emily, are the parsnips to your liking?
很新鲜 很好吃 谢谢
Very fresh and very flaky. Thank you.
觉得鱼怎么样
How is your fish?
格兰维尔医生
Dr. Granville.
艾米丽
Emily.
我们一定得在吃饭时谈这事吗
Must we speak of such things at table?
真是个奇迹
It was unbelievable.
小家伙调了个个儿 费了好大劲儿才把她弄出来
She was turn the wrong way around, it took forever to get her out.
丽兹·伯克今天生下了她的第八个宝宝 是个女孩
Lizzie Burke had her eighth baby today. A little girl.
我很抱歉
I’m so sorry.
你知道的 晚餐六点开始
You are aware that dinner begins at six.
啊 噢
What… oh!
小心别伤到自己噢 医生
Careful not to prick yourself, Doctor.
噢 你好 很高兴正式地见到你
Oh, hello. Lovely to meet you properly.
这是我的新助手 莫蒂默·格兰维尔医生
My new assistant, Dr. Mortimer Granville.
女儿
Daughter?
还记得我女儿吗 夏洛特·达尔林普尔
You remember my daughter? Charlotte Dalrymple.
好的 谢谢
Yes, please.
多半如此 小姐 来点酒吗
Most days, miss. Wine?
没人再找你麻烦了吧
Staying out of trouble, I hope?
莫莉 你好
Molly! Hello!
晚上好 夏洛特
Good evening, Charlotte.
艾米丽 你好 真可爱
Emily, hello. Love the earrings.
夏洛特…
Charlotte…
很抱歉 我迟到了
I’m so sorry I’m late.
你好 爸爸
Hello, Father.
英国的福音遍传于那些渴求…
that England’s gospel is spread to all those who hunger for…
凭着基♥督♥徒的仁慈
through simple Christian kindness,
凭着慷慨 凭着怜悯
It’s through generosity, through compassion,
达尔林普尔小姐您可真是位才女
You’re a woman of many talents, Miss Dalrymple.
还有颅相学
Phrenology.
音乐 哲学
Music. Philosophy.
也是
Quite.
还有比他更理性 更至高无上的英国人吗
Is there anyone more sensible? More supremely British?
你也看塞缪尔·斯迈尔斯的书
You read the book of Samuel Smiles?
没什么施舍能比施予教育更加伟大
There is no greater charity than the gift of education.
以他的身份而言 这是情理之中的事
Just what you’d expect from a man of his standing.
将我带回家 不吝开销地 资助我并让我接受教育
brought me into his own home and provided for my welfare and education.
圣·约翰史密斯伯爵知道了我的事之后…
Lord St. John Smythe knew of my fate, and without thought of the cost,
这无疑促成了你对医学的兴趣吧
No doubt, that’s where you gained your interest in medicine.
噢 太糟了
Oh, terrible.
噢 真可怕
Oh, how dreadful.
他们自愿来伦敦支援后 自己也染上了霍乱
After coming to London to volunteer, they contracted the disease themselves.
当时我还是个孩子
when I was a boy.
不幸的是 他与母亲亡故于上一次的霍乱
Unfortunately, he and mother perished in the last cholera outbreak
我父亲曾是莫特莱克区的牧师
And my father was Anglican minister of Mortlake.
谢谢
Thank you.
配鱼肉味道不错
It’s lovely with the fish.
要加酱汁吗 先生
Sauce, sir?
噢 没中喔 查理
Oh! Missed me, Charlie!
你好啊
Hello.
是你吗 莎拉
Is that you, Sarah?
凡事有度
Moderation in all things.
凡事有度 帕森斯夫人
Moderation in all things, Mrs. Parsons.
我想 明天同一时间…
Same time tomorrow, I should say.
那么 下周同一时间再见
So, same time next week.
好极了
Wonderful.
太好了
Wonderful.
完全不觉得了 医生
Gone, Doctor.
还觉得心烦意乱吗
And those nagging thoughts?
真是场完美的示范
A powerful demonstration.
效果惊人 达尔林普尔医生
Startling, Dr. Dalrymple.
你认为呢 帕森斯夫人
would you say, Mrs. Parsons?
我认为这次治疗非常成功
Well, I think we can judge this treatment a great success,
这是个非常令人满意的高♥潮♥
a very satisfactory paroxysm.
如你所见 格兰维尔
As you can see, Granville,
啊…
Arghhh…
是无论如何也没法产生快♥感♥的
without actual penetration of the male organ.
若无男性器官的实际介入…
incapable of experiencing any pleasurable sensation what so ever,
女性器官 你是知道的…
The female organ is, as you know,
太神了
Amazing.
从而使子♥宫♥恢复正常
and coaxing the uterus back into its normal position.
缓解歇斯底里的症状
thereby inducing the hysterical paroxysm,
便能引发她的快♥感♥
we’re able to elicit the pain/pleasure reaction,
这时让她受到激烈的外部刺♥激♥
You see, by fierce external stimulation,
稳住
Steady as she goes.
稳住 帕森斯夫人
Steady as she goes, Mrs. Parsons.
上啊
Tally-ho!
上啊
Tally-ho!
那就是整个疗法的诀窍
That’s the key to it.
稳定地施压
Good steady pressure.
稳住 帕森斯夫人 稳住
Steady on, Mrs. Parsons. Steady on.
加把劲
Up and over!
来啊 小子
Come on, boy!
噢 来啊
Oh… Oh, come on!
不过是治疗过程中无意识的本能生理反应
Merely an involuntary physiological reaction to the treatment.
喊出声音 这些都很正常
Vocalization. All perfectly normal.
快 快
Come on! Crimson!
微微颤搐
twitching.
眼皮轻颤
a fluttering of the eyelids,
肌肤泛红
blushing of the skin,
呼吸急促
Shortness of breath,
注意到效果了吗 医生
Notice the effect, Doctor?
当然 必要时还得加点精油
Of course, reapply oil as needed.
噢 谢谢你 医生
Oh… Thank you, Doctor. Thank you.
适度稳定地施压 这就是诀窍
Good steady pressure. That’s the key.
这是最直接 最有效的疗法了