I couldn’t finish the second.
这儿真漂亮
Ah, this is lovely.
非常的古朴 精致的英国松木家具
Very homely. English pine. It’s the finest.
我更喜欢法国式的 我的装潢师给我搞砸了
I prefer French. My decorator screwed me.
这房♥子一个人住太大了 我得在城里再找个地方
It’s too big. I have to get a place in town.
真有趣 你整个生活都改变了 我害怕一个人呆在这里
It’s funny how your whole life changes. I’m scared here alone.
– 这一带发生过很多的盗窃 – 我想是
– There’s been robberies. – I bet.
你想再结婚 还是喜欢单身一人过?
Do you want to get married again or do you like being single?
我喜欢单身一人
I love being single.
因为我认为 有些人的性格就需要有个婚姻
Because I think certain personalities just need to be married.
– 我不同意 – 可是 他们就这么说的
– I disagree. – Well, that’s what they say.
不是我 我不需要
Not me. I thought I did.
我需要 我想我应该结婚了
I do. I do. I think it’s time for me.
那你为什么从没结过婚?
So why have you never got married?
我不知道 我曾经差点结婚
Oh, I don’t know. I got close…
在我二十几岁的时候 不过不了了之
…in my 20s once, but it didn’t work out.
– 喝点酒行吗? – 很好 谢谢
– Is wine okay? – Lovely. Thank you.
我想一个人 至少先过一阵子再说
I want to be alone for a while at least.
我想体验一些新的交往 如果能够发生点什么 那很好
I want to have a few experiences. If it happens, great.
如果没有 那也没什么
If not, that’s just fine.
我肯定你会得到你想要的
I’m sure you’ll get what you want.
– 你是一个非常美丽的女人 – 谢谢
– You’re a very beautiful woman. – Oh, thank you.
– 不行 这有点太快了 – 抱歉
– I can’t go so fast. – I’m sorry.
只是
It’s just, you know….
– 这不适合我的节奏 – 我理解
– It’s not my rhythm. – I understand.
谢谢
Thank you.
我已经很长一段时间没有
I haven’t been in a social situation…
与人有社交上的往来了 这对我感觉很陌生
…that’s meant anything to me in a very long time.
谢谢你 我很高兴知道你是认真的
Thank you. I’m glad to know you care.
我不会和你一起
I wouldn’t be with you…
要是我没有一丁点儿兴趣 想要探索这样的可能性的话
…if I wasn’t at least interested in exploring it.
– 来吧 干杯 – 干杯
– Well, cheers. – Cheers.
今晚对我来说意义不凡 莎利 谢谢你
Tonight’s meant a lot to me. Thank you.
很好 很不错
Lovely. That’s nice.
– 为何这么着急? – 对不起 我道歉 我只是
– What’s the rush? – I’m sorry, I apologize. I’m just–
我过于焦急了 因为我非常喜欢你
I’m overanxious because I like you a lot.
天呐 迈克尔 让我怎么说呢?
Oh, dear. Michael, what can I say?
我已经有太长一段时间 没做过爱了
I haven’t made love in such a long time.
我告诉过你 我的婚姻很早就已经死了
My marriage, I told you, was dead. For years.
我不知道是什么原因 不 我知道 是因为“热力学第二定律”
I don’t know why. Yes, I do. The second law of thermodynamics.
或早或晚 所有东西都会变得一团糟 这是我的说法
Sooner or later, everything turns to shit. That’s my phrasing.
你好像比较特别 因为一般人往往看不到它的发生
Strange, often one doesn’t even see it happen.
我看到了
I did.
正是因为这让我伤心欲绝
That’s the part that kills me.
我在城里工作 杰克那天 因为有事应该离开城里 去芝加哥
I was in town working. Jack was on business, in Chicago.
突然之间 完全是由于巧合
All of a sudden, by sheer accident….
“女性内衣”
– 嗨 你过得怎么样? – 嗨 芝加哥怎么样?
– Hi. How you doing? – Hey, how was Chicago?
很好 我是说 我很忙
It was good. I mean, it was busy.
他和那老家伙谈不拢
The old guy doesn’t want to settle.
他是个很难对付的老手 天呐
He’s a tough old bird, boy.
我开不了口问他
I couldn’t bring it up.
我受到了伤害 这让我很恼火
I was so hurt. And so full of rage.
还有害怕
And scared.
有好几周
For weeks…
我等着他开口说他认识了什么人 但是他从没提起过
…I waited for him to say he’d met someone. He never did.
尽管我一直很怀疑 可我再也没有发现其他的事件
Although I was suspicious, I never found another incident.
所以我选择了不去管它 我希望它会过去
So I chose to overlook it and I hoped it would go away.
但是没有过去
But it didn’t.
因为我开始考虑
Because I began thinking…
想要摆脱他
…of getting rid of him…
成为单身
…and being single.
我们之间的情况越来越坏
And things just got worse between us.
我们俩戴的面具越来越厚
We put up bigger and bigger fronts.
现在我单身一人
Now I’m single.
我意识到 我成了那些需要结婚的人群中的一员
And I realize I’m one of those people who needs to be married.
– 嘿!嘿!到这边来 – 嗨
– Hey! Hey! Come here. – Hi.
– 你这是要去哪里? – 回家
– Where are you going? – Home.
– 上来吧 我开车捎你一程 – 太好了
– Come on, I’ll give you a lift. – Great.
上车
Come on.
– 我有个惊喜要给你 – 什么?
– I have a surprise. – What?
我不知道这会不会让你感到惊喜 我准备让你读我的小说了
I don’t know if you’ll think so. You can read my novel.
噢 太好了!这真好!
Oh, great! Oh, that’s great!
– 不过你得十分平和才行 因为 – 当然
– You have to go easy on it because – Oh, of course.
– 你想上来吗? – 现在?
– Wanna come up? – Now?
来见见我父母 他们都非常喜欢你
Meet my parents. They’re so in love with you.
你不是想看看我的生活吗?你在这儿做什么?
Don’t you wanna see how I live? What are you doing here?
– 这就是我见不到你的原因了 – 你在说什么啊?
– This is why I don’t see you. – What do you mean?
– 你犯了个错误 – 我只是想看一眼他长什么样
– You’re mistaken. – I wanted to see what he looked like.
你并不像我想象中的那个样子
You’re not what I imagined.
这又不是我男朋友 他是我的教授
This isn’t my boyfriend. He’s my professor.
– 这是你的教授? – 是的
– Your professor? – Yes.
– 我是加贝里埃尔·罗斯教授 – 很高兴认识你
– I’m Professor Gabriel Roth. – Nice to meet you.
– 哥伦比亚大学? – 停
– Columbia? – Stop.
– 巴纳德学院 – 你怎么这么大兴趣?
– Barnard. – How interested are you?
– 拜托了 – 我想问你一件事
– Come on. – I want to ask you something.
– 你总是会去勾引你的学生吗? – 我不知道你怎么回事
– You seduce all your students? – I don’t know what this is about.
好了 你走吧 拜托了
Okay, just go, please.
– 我不知道你来这里干嘛? – 因为你骗了我!
– What are you doing here? – You led me on!
我没有!从第一天起我就告诉过你
I did not! I told you from day one.
当你抱着她时 她会对你说些什么?
When you have her in your arms, what does she say to you?
– 我不知道说什么 我们得走了 – 你为什么表现得这么幼稚?
– I don’t know what to say. – Why are you acting childish?
你的表现象个15岁的孩子 我很抱歉行吗
You’re acting like a 15-year-old–I’m sorry.
你很抱歉?那我成什么了?
You’re sorry. What do you think I am?
– 我不知道 – 你为什么还不赶紧进去?
– I don’t know. – Why don’t you just go in?
我怎么了?我只是想帮你一把
I am. What? I’m trying to help you out.
– 我有点冷 – 对不起
– I’m cold. – I’m sorry.
这是我妈 这是加贝·罗斯教授
This is my mother. Gabe Roth.
见到你真是太高兴了
It is such an immense pleasure.
– 那是我父亲 – 噢
– That’s my father. – Oh.
十分荣幸 先生 你需要来点什么吗?
It is an honor, sir. What can we get you?
不需要什么 我很好
Nothing. I’m just– I’m fine.
我要镇静剂 如果你有的话 楼下的那个人是谁?
Just a sedative, if you have one. Who was that character downstairs?
我过会儿再告诉你 天气突然变晴了
I’ll tell you about it later. It’s got so sunny all of a sudden.
我们是你的忠实粉丝 我们希望你继续写下去
We’re fans of yours. We wish you’d still write those…
– 把你的外套给我 – 有趣而悲伤的短篇故事
– Let me take your coat. – …funny stories.
那么你告诉我 楼下那家伙是怎么回事?
What were you going to tell me about that guy?
如果要我告诉你 我想最好还是从头说起
I better start from the beginning if I’m gonna tell you.
我父亲 有个同事
My father, he had this…this colleague who was…
– 他是他的生意伙伴 – 那家伙是你父亲的生意伙伴?
– his business partner. – This guy was his business partner?
这就是为什么我要从头说起的原因 后面我才会说到他
This is why I have to start from the beginning. It leads up to him.
那个我父亲的生意伙伴 他经常来我们家
My father’s business partner, he’d come by the house fairly often.
有一天 他告诉我说 他爱上了我
And one day, he told me that he was in love with me, right?
不管怎么说 我有点受宠若惊
I was very flattered, to say the least.
他人很聪明 而且是单身
He was real bright and single.
我们很自然的开始了这段恋情 我们谁都没告诉
We started having this affair. Naturally, we told nobody.
我还有个朋友 简 她父母亲离婚了
I have this friend, Jane. Her parents were divorced.
她父亲 杰里 也对我产生了 疯狂的迷恋?
Her father, Jerry, developed this mad crush over me, right?
不久之后 我同时和他们两个人见面
And before long, I was seeing both these men.
这只让我感到痛苦 而不是幸福
Instead of being happy, I was just miserable.
我不能理清我的感情 所以我就去看心理医生
I couldn’t get my feelings straight, so I went to an analyst.
我花了几个月的时间 来努力摆脱这些事情
I tried for a few months to work things out.
然后有一天 我的心理医生说 他打算终止对我的治疗
Then, one day, he said he was gonna stop treating me…
因为他觉得他不再适合治疗我了
…because he felt it wasn’t the thing to do…
因为他也爱上了我
…since he was falling in love with me.
我对他也很有兴趣 你可以想象他相当的出色
I was taken with him. You can imagine, he’s quite brilliant.
我开始和他约会
And I started seeing him.
是的 我和另外两位分了手
I did. I broke off from the other two.
可是我内心里有什么东西 告诉我他不可能是
Something inside me told me he couldn’t…
一个很靠谱的人 更别说还是一个好的心理医生
…be a very stable person, let alone a good analyst.
所以我从没让我和他之间的事情陷得太深