You want to hear more about your story.
你写得很棒 我是说你小说结构的组织方式
The way you structured the story–The tension built up…
积聚了张力 再到最后释放出来
…beautifully and you released the energy in the last paragraph.
– 这真的非常不简单 – 谢谢
– That was very sophisticated. – Thanks.
我花了五天时间想找一个合适的词来形容那个丈夫
I spent five days searching for the word to describe the husband…
– 最后我想起了“冲犷” – “冲犷”
– …and came up with “appucious.” – Appucious.
– 我查了下字典 可是没能查到 – 我自己编的
– I couldn’t find it in the dictionary. – I made it up.
– 哦 是吗? – 是的 我想用它来形容恰到好处
– Oh, really? – Yeah, it described it perfectly.
托尔斯泰是一套大餐
Tolstoy is a full meal.
屠格涅夫 我得说是一道奇妙的甜点 我是这样看他的特点的
Turgenev is a fabulous dessert. That’s how I characterize him.
陀思妥耶夫斯基呢?
Dostoyevsky?
陀思妥耶夫斯基是一套大餐 外加维生素片和一大盘麦芽糊
Dostoyevsky is a full meal with a vitamin pill and extra wheat germ.
“我跌倒在生活的荆棘上 鲜血直淌!”
“I fall upon the thorns of life. I bleed.”
我以前觉得这很浪漫
I used to think that was so romantic.
用心写作 真诚去爱 体验真正的激♥情♥
To write, to fall in love, and to experience real passion.
是吗?你认为激♥情♥真的可以持久吗?
Really? You think passion could actually be sustained?
我不知道
I don’t know.
《时代周刊》上说四年之内你就会失去
Time magazine said you lose your sexual attraction…
对另一个人的性趣 我想是这么说的
…for the other person in four years, I think it was.
说得没错 是吗?
Time must know, right?
我有时候会想去巴黎生活会怎样
I sometimes think of living in Paris.
或者欧洲的其他地方 我觉得那一定很浪漫
Europe in general. I find that romantic.
我喜欢咖啡生活 我喜欢写作 也许租套小公♥寓♥什么的
I like cafe life. I’d like to write, get a flat.
听上去很不错
Sounds great.
在巴黎的街道上走走 就很有乐趣
Walking the streets is fun in Paris.
除非你在一个 下雨的午后 在巴黎被人亲吻过
Until you’ve been kissed on a rainy Parisian afternoon…
否则你就不能算被人吻过
…you’ve never been kissed.
– 那你在雨中被人吻过吗? – 我没被人吻过 是我亲吻别人
– And were you kissed? – I wasn’t kissed, I was the kisser.
好吧 我在想
Okay, I was wondering…
– 我能不能读一下你的小说 – 你怎么知道我写了部小说?
– if I could read your novel. – How’d you know I had a novel?
上次我们一起吃饭时 你提到过
You mentioned it when we had lunch that time.
– 我现在对这篇一点也没兴趣了 – 好的
– I’m very disenchanted with it. – Yes.
我知道 我只是想问一下你 因为我想我可以从中学到很多东西
I know. I’m only asking you because I could learn a lot from it.
我只是想知道你喜欢什么 你不喜欢什么
I would like to know what you like and what you don’t…
还有为什么你对它那么不满?
…and why you’re so critical of it.
让我考虑一下吧
Let me think about it.
– 你没事吧? – 没事
– Are you okay? – Yes.
让我考虑一下吧 我会考虑的
Let me think about it. I’ll think about it.
– 噢 我不应该问你的 – 不 不 不
– I shouldn’t have asked you. – No, no, no.
– 让我好好考虑一下 – 好的
– Let me think about it. – Okay.
加贝 他总是找错女人 除了朱迪
Gabe. He’s always picked the wrong women. Except for Judy.
她是他爱上的第一个精神健全的女人 他总是迷上
She’s the first sane woman he fell for. He’s attracted…
那些疯子 神经病
…to the crazies, the nut cases.
出于某种原因 对此 我有两个猜测 一个是
I got a couple of theories about it. One is that…
在他内心深处 他知道那行不通 所以他会遭受痛苦
…he knows it’s not gonna work and so he suffers.
那样一来 他似乎就能 为他年轻时候所产生的
That kind of atones for some sort of…
负罪感 做出某种补偿了 我不知道
…early-on guilt he’s got over–What, I don’t know.
另一个 就像我们 所有人一样 他受到电影 小说
Another is, like all of us, he grew up on…
的耳濡目染 未竟之爱总是最浪漫的
…movies and novels where doomed love was romantic.
你和萨姆之间进展得如何了?
How are things going with Sam?
很棒 周六 我们起床
Great. Absolutely great. Saturday, we got up.
我们沿着河跑步 天气很好 光线充足
We had a run down by the river. It was a beautiful day.
现在我感觉特好 体重减得恰到好处 她指导我锻炼
It was terrific. I’m down to a good weight. I’m exercising.
感觉真是好极了 另外我吃得也很好
It feels incredible to get in shape. I eat great.
你知道 我们吃各式色拉 不碰任何肉类
Salads, no meat. Never touch meat.
在晚上么 我们也许会 租一部录像带回来
Later in the day, we rented some kind of a video.
就是那种傻不啦叽的 没心没肺的喜剧片
Some sort of dopey, funny, stupid little thing.
那样的东西 莎利是绝不会 允许我往家里拿的 我笑到岔气
Something Sally wouldn’t have allowed. I laughed like hell.
我过得非常开心 而且我不会 因此而觉得有什么不好意思
I had a terrific time and I didn’t have to feel guilty about it.
她不是西蒙娜·德·波伏瓦 我们有时也会斗嘴
She’s not Simone de Beauvoir. We argue sometimes.
是《李尔王》 莎士比亚从未写过什么《利奥王》
Trust me. It’s King Lear. Shakespeare never wrote about a King Leo.
行了“知识分子”先生 莎士比亚用英语写作 而不是日语
Well, Mr. Intellectual. Shakespeare wrote in English, not Japanese.
这话太妙了
That’s wonderful.
我想去弄点卡布奇诺 你要来点吗?
I was just gonna make some cappuccino. You want some?
– 不要 – 你确定吗?
– No. – You’re sure?
确定 绝对确定
I’m positive. Absolutely.
你看 你别太激动了 我还没戴子♥宫♥帽呢
Don’t start getting excited. I don’t have my diaphragm.
我想在你没戴子♥宫♥帽的时候和你做♥爱♥
I want to make love to you without your diaphragm.
– 你到底在说什么啊? – 我在考虑这事
– What are you talking about? – I was thinking about it.
我想也许 我以前拒绝要…
I thought maybe I’ve been resisting having…
– …孩子的念头过于坚决了 – 什么?
– …a child too strenuously. – What?
– 什么时候? – 我不知道
– Since when? – I don’t know.
我只是有了些想法 就这么回事 也许
These are some thoughts that I’ve had. Maybe…
也许这样可以有所改善
Maybe it would be helpful.
你心里想的是什么样的改善?
What kind of help did you have in mind?
在我们的婚姻中你不感到幸福?
Are you unhappy in our marriage?
我没有考虑太多幸不幸福 这也许是个好的迹象
I don’t think about it that much. Which is probably a good sign.
很晚了 我困了 你现在真的想谈论这个吗?
It’s late, I’m tired. Do you want to talk about this now?
我认为这是个好主意 我们要个孩子
All I said was, it was a good idea to have a baby.
– 我不认为这是个好主意 – 为什么突然不要了?
– It’s not such a good idea. – Why not, all of a sudden?
因为我认为在我们要孩子之前 我俩之间有些事情要理理清楚
We have some straightening out to do before we have a baby.
是你一直想要孩子的 你为什么心情不好?
You wanted a baby. Why are you in a bad mood?
– 你想要个找个新的人吗? – 不
– Do you want somebody new? – No.
什么人?比如说谁?你呢?
Who? Like who? Do you?
– 肯定不是个孩子 – 算了吧
– Certainly not a baby. – So forget it.
– 我这么说是因为以为你想要 – 好吧 很好
– Because I thought you wanted – Okay, fine.
你情绪很不好 还是你有什么事 想跟我说而你没有说?
Something you wanna say to me and you’re not?
我想我们应该谨慎点 免得到时候事你想摆脱都摆脱不掉
We don’t want to get into something you can’t get out of.
那么你不想要小孩了 是吗?那就是我应该
You don’t want a baby, right? That’s what I should–
– 你知道我想要的 – 那我们就要努力一下
– You know I do. – Then we have to work on it.
当然今晚不行 任何与性有关的想法现在都
But not tonight. Any thought of sex is now…
– 我很抱歉 – 不是你的错
– I’m sorry. – Not your fault.
我求你要个连我都不想要的孩子
I’m begging you to have a baby I don’t want.
– 你看 我就知道你不想要孩子 – 我不是这个意思
– I knew you didn’t want it. – I don’t mean it that way.
我是另外一个意思 很晚了 我有点糊涂了
You know, it’s late and I’m confused.
我们的婚姻很美满 我不明白为什么突然之间会有这样的谈话
We have a fine marriage. I don’t know what all this talk is for.
对不起 迈克尔?我给你捎了碗汤馄饨 我看你很忙
Michael? I brought you a won ton soup since you were busy.
谢谢 朱迪 你真体贴
Thanks, Judy. You’re a sweetheart.
– 我知道你要去卡内基音乐厅 – 去看马♥勒♥的《第九交响曲》
– I see you’re going to CarnegieHall. – To see Mahler’s Ninth.
– 是吗? – 天呐 我希望莎利也喜欢马♥勒♥
– Really? – I hope Sally likes Mahler.
她会喜欢的 那是我的最爱 给你一些餐巾纸
She will. It’s my favorite. Here are some napkins.
我知道一处很棒的地方 音乐会后我准备带她去
I’ve got this great place to bring her to after the concert.
一家小餐馆 很温馨
A little supper joint. It’s very intimate.
– 有个庭院 有格子棚 装饰着小彩灯 – 不错 非常漂亮
– Courtyard, trellis, fairy lights. – That’s beautiful.
是的 很漂亮
It is. It is.
真有意思 和一个刚从一段漫长婚姻中走出来的人约会
It’s funny seeing someone who’s just left a long marriage.
我想一定有很长时间她没有被人追求过了?
I bet it’s been a while since she was romanced, eh?
我想是的
Yes, I’m sure.
我太古板 太老派了 我着迷于那样些东西
I’m such a square. I’m old-fashioned. I eat all that stuff up.
音乐 私人餐馆 烛光酒吧之类的
Music, intimate restaurants, candlelight joints and stuff.
我想我不属于这个时代 艾米以前常说我应该生活在十九世纪
Amy used to say I should have been born in the 1800s.
– 她觉得这些都太陈腐过时了 – 不 一点都不过时 这很可爱
– She found it all a bit corny. – No, not at all. It’s very sweet.
我看你也很中意那些东西 是吗?
You go for that stuff too, don’t you?
– 噢 当然 – 是啊
– Oh, sure. – Yeah.
– 今晚很有意思 莎利 嗯? – 是很不错
– Tonight was fun, eh? – Yes, it was good.
音乐棒极了
And that music was fantastic.
我通常很讨厌马♥勒♥ 不过今晚还行
I usually hate Mahler, but it was good.
最后一个乐章太长了
The last movement’s too long.
第二乐章不错 当然 开头很好
The second movement was good. It began well.
– 然后就变得有点过于强烈了 – 是啊
– Then it gets sentimental. – Yeah.
指挥都快驾驭不了了
The conductor fought his way out.
晚餐非常棒
Dinner was wonderful.
尽管我应该教一下那厨师怎样做阿尔弗雷多酱 他做得不怎么样
Although I should teach the chef how to make an Alfredo sauce.
– 很抱歉 – 你想进?
– Sorry. – Want to…?
– 我可以吗? – 喝杯咖啡?
– Is it okay? – Coffee?
我很乐意
I’d love to.
我打哈欠是因为我想多摄入氧气 车坐得我有一点儿恶心
I’m yawning because I’m hyper-oxygenating. The ride made me sick.
对不起 我知道我不是这世上最好的司机
I’m sorry. I’m not the greatest driver in the world.
不 你的驾驶技术还好 总体来说
No, your driving was fine, for the most part.
我不该喝那最后一杯 三杯是我的极限了
I shouldn’t have had the last one. Three’s my limit.
我两杯都没喝完