And I couldn’t take the fact that he was unromantic in every way.
他是那种会送你一件厨具作为生日礼物的人
He’d give you an appliance for your birthday.
我从没送过她“梅利尔咖啡机”作为生日礼物
I never got her a Melior coffeemaker for a birthday present.
我曾送过她一个照相机
I got her a camera once.
和一个摄影放大机 以纪念我们的结婚日
And an enlarger for our anniversary.
她要我送的
She asked for it.
你在想什么呢?
What are you thinking about?
我不知道
I don’t know.
也许我在想你正在读的那份手稿
I was thinking about that manuscript you’re reading.
– 这是部很糟糕的小说 – 非常具有自传性质
– It’s just a terrible novel – Very autobiographical.
– 我还可以写点什么呢? – 我应该被贬损吗?
– What else can I work on? – Should I be insulted?
为什么你应该被贬损?
Why insulted?
我们在汉普顿的那个聚会认识的?
The way we met. That party in the Hamptons?
“他远远地看见了她 头脑里突然跃入了哈丽特的样子
“He spotted her from a distance and Harriet leapt to mind.
“就这么简单 他就被她吸引住了 因为她让他想起了
“He was drawn to her instantly because she reminded him…
“…他唯一有过的真正的激♥情♥
“…of his only genuine passion.
“他的第六感告诉他应该采取行动
“His sixth sense told him to move on it.
“然而她并不是哈丽特 他结识她的那一刻 他的梦也随之消散了”
“But she wasn’t Harriet. The minute he met her, the dream evaporated.”
– 是的 你没那么疯狂 – 我只是令人厌烦
– So she wasn’t crazy. – No, just boring.
她是书中最好的女人 这就是为什么他和她结了婚
She’s the best. That’s why he marries her.
– 但是他付出了代价 – 这是垃圾 我早想把它扔了
– But he pays a price. – This is junk. I’ll throw it away.
你错了 小说充满了 活力和智慧 写得很好
You’re wrong. It’s full of vitality and wit. It’s good.
– 你有偏见 因为你是我妻子 – 你的沉闷的妻子
– You’re prejudiced, you’re my wife. – Your dull wife.
为什么你一定要征求我的意见 你根本就不在乎
I don’t know why you ask for my opinion. You don’t care.
– 不是这么回事 – 就是这么回事
– It’s not true. – It is true.
我认为这是部很平庸的小说
I think it’s a mediocre novel.
因为你根本不尊重我的评判 要是别的什么人过来这么说
You have no respect for my judgment. If somebody else said that…
– 你一定就全盘接受了 – 我不会的
– …you’d accept it totally. – I would not.
又过了一段时间 朱迪和莎利一起吃午饭
After some time, Judy and Sally had lunch.
莎利作了一番令人吃惊的告白
Sally made a surprising announcement.
我喜欢单身一人
I like being single.
是吗?我怎么会有截然相反的印象
You do? I had the opposite impression.
那只是事前所预料的焦虑
That’s anticipatory anxiety.
当你平静下来后就会觉得这并没有想象的那么糟 就像拔掉一颗坏牙
You realize it’s not as bad as you fantasized. Like pulling a bad tooth.
你婚姻中所有那些溃烂化脓的伤口 那些失望沮丧
All the festering wounds of your marriage, the disappointments…
那些怨恨 猛然之间都消失得无影无踪 你自♥由♥了
…the resentments, they’re gone in one clean yank and you’re free.
那么多年下来积累的问题和忍♥气吞声
After years of accumulating problems and swallowing one’s anger…
– 然后你有了个重新开始的机会 – 不 我能够想象
– you have a chance to begin again. – Yeah. I can imagine.
对女人来说 时间更加不等人 趁你还有魅力的时候去做吧
The clock ticks faster for a woman. Do it while you have some allure left.
年纪变大有一个好处 那就是
The one advantage of being older is…
你有了很多的经验
…you have a lot of experience.
我有更好的把握 让事情有更好的结果
I have a better shot at making things work out…
如果我碰上什么人的话
…if I met someone.
如果加贝和我现在认识 了解了我们现在所有的事
If Gabe and I met now, knowing all the things we know…
那我们就会有个更加好的关系 这点毫无疑问
…we’d have a better relationship. No question.
可你还会嫁给他吗?
Would you still marry him?
天哪 你这问题问得!
God, what a question!
你知道 对我来说 我只是
You know, for me, I just–
一想到两人要分手 真是太痛苦了
The thought of breaking up is just so painful.
你不应该出于害怕 就硬呆在一起 那你会变成什么样?
You can’t stay out of fear. You know what you become?
– 什么样? – 我妈妈和我爸爸
– What? – My mother and father.

Well…
我设想过自己的自♥由♥
…I’ve pictured myself free.
– 我知道你设想过 – 你怎么知道的?
– I know you have. – How do you know?
因为那天晚上 你一下变得那么愤怒
Because you got so angry that night…
当杰克和我 谈起我们要分手的事时
…when Jack and I said we were splitting.
我事后我意识到 我们一定触到你的神经了
I realized we must have touched a nerve.
– 不 – 是的!就像是哈姆雷特和俄狄浦斯
– No. – Yes! It’s like Hamlet and Oedipus.
那晚你很愤怒 因为我做了 其实是你想做的事
You were angry because I did what you really want to do.
你过分夸张了 加贝和我还好
You’re over-dramatizing. Gabe and I are okay.
– 没有十全十美的婚姻 – 我知道 我知道
– Nobody has it perfect. – I know. I know.
既然都还好 那没什么比这更好的了
When it’s good, nothing’s better.
听着 我想我也许可以 给你找个可能的人选
Listen, I think maybe I have a possibility for you.
– 告诉我 – 记得迈克尔·盖茨吗?
– Tell me. – Michael Gates?
就是你说过的很有吸引力的那一位?你办公室的那位?
The one you said was attractive? In your office?
他来这儿才几个月
He’s only been there a few months.
我知道他曾有个女朋友 不过现在他们分手了
He had a girlfriend, but they’ve broken up.
我真的认为他很有魅力 也很聪明
I do think he’s attractive. He’s charming, he’s bright.
现在时机正合适
The timing’s perfect.
你现在就去我办公室见见他 看看你的感觉如何
Come up to the office now and meet him. See how you feel.
要是你认为你还有兴趣 我们可以一起
If you’re interested, we could all…
安排点什么事 比如出去聚一聚什么的
…arrange something or go out together.
迈克尔 这是我朋友莎利 我要给她找几本以前的杂♥志♥
Michael, this is Sally. I’m finding some back issues for her.
– 莎利为“地标建筑保护委员会”工作 – “保护委员会”?
– She’s with the Preservation Committee. – Preservation?
我这么跟你说吧 我不赞成有死刑 除了对某些纽约的建筑商们
I don’t believe in capital punishment except for New York builders.
不只是纽约是这样
Not just New York.
在哪儿都有对新鲜玩意的盲目热情 年轻人嘛
There’s always a blind passion for the new, the young.
你们俩在这等一会儿 我就回来
Listen, you two wait here and I’ll be right with you.
– 把外套脱了吧 那样舒服点 – 好的
– Take your coat off. – All right.
随便扔哪儿 对不起 我这里乱糟糟的 我正在编撰一整期有关
Throw it anywhere. We’re putting out an issue…
德国二十和三十年代家具风格的杂♥志♥
…of German furniture styles in the ’20s and ’30s.
我恨那段时期 我大学论文就是“包豪斯建筑”
I hate that period. I did my college thesis on Bauhaus architecture.
题目叫《功能和法♥西♥斯♥主义》 那是多年前在拉德克利夫学院
It was called “Function and Fascism.” This was years ago at Radcliffe.
我对此大加抨击 倒不是说那不能成为杂♥志♥标题
It was very unpopular. Not that it won’t make a good magazine subject.
看一下这把椅子 还有印象吗?
Have a look at that chair. Remember that?
– 这椅子是不是很棒? – 我真的不喜欢这把椅子
– Isn’t it wonderful? – I truly dislike that chair.
– 那这把呢? – 我讨厌这把椅子
– This one? – I hated that.
那么你感觉怎么样?他是不是很可爱?
What do you think? Isn’t he sweet?
– 唔 是的 他看上去还不错 – 是吗?
– Well, yes. He seems nice. – Yeah.
– 我认为他长得很帅 – 他单身一人 也不是同性恋
– I think he’s great-looking. – And he’s single and not gay.
我告诉过你 他才分手
I’m telling you, he just broke up.
我还没了解他到那种程度
I don’t know him that well.
你知道 他有点安静 不过我喜欢他那样
He’s quiet. I like that about him.
他很有幽默感 他喝醉的样子也很迷人
He’s got a great sense of humor. He’s a very charming drunk.
因为在这的一个生日晚会上 他喝多了
There was a party here and he’d had a lot.
然后他泪流满面的吟诵起叶芝的诗来
He was quoting Yeats’ poems and he was crying.
是吗?他哭了?
He was? He weeps?
但是样子很可爱 要不要我召集聚一聚?
But in the sweetest way. So shall I get us all together?
他已经邀请我吃午饭了
He already asked me to lunch.
是吗?
He did?
我们俩都在坎布里奇上的大学
We both took courses at Cambridge.
所以他建议我们下星期一起吃个中饭
He suggested we have lunch next week.
那太好了!我成了你们的红娘
That would be great. I’d be the matchmaker.
我一下子就喜欢上了莎利 我立刻就被她吸引住了
I took an instant liking for Sally. I was immediately attracted.
她直话直说 这点我很喜欢
She spoke her mind, she spoke her thoughts.
而且 她也很性感
And she’s very sexy, you know?
我说过我不想刻意 去寻找新的关系 因为
Look, I wasn’t looking for another relationship because…
我刚和艾米分手 我发誓不想再卷进去了
…I’d just split up with Amy and sworn off getting involved.
可是和莎利 有什么东西立刻就抓住了我
But with Sally, there was something that just hooked in at once.
– 那么你很感激朱迪介绍你们认识? – 是的 我很感激
– So you were grateful to Judy? – Yes, I was. Very.
真有意思 当我
It’s funny, you know. When I–
当我刚开始认识朱迪时 我感觉她在向我调情
When I first got to know Judy, I thought she was flirting with me.

我当时想 她的婚姻一定不怎么如意
And I thought she must be unhappily married.
后来我遇见了她丈夫 他们看上去还不错 朱迪给人感觉就是这样
I met her husband, they seemed fine. That’s typical of her.

她非常的热情
She’s very giving…
这次她给我帮了个大忙 介绍我和莎利认识
…and she did me this favour by introducing me to Sally.
你的第二个故事和第一个故事一样有趣 非常棒
Your second story was as interesting as your first. It was wonderful.
– 太好了! – 我完全被折服了
– Great! – I was knocked out.
我太受宠若惊了 我很高兴你喜欢它
I’m thrilled. I’m so glad you like it.
你的话给了我鼓励 我想让你知道这点
You’re so encouraging to me. I want you to know that.
别傻了 这只是我的一己之见
Don’t be silly. I’m just one opinion.
你的意见足够了
You’re the opinion.
你的句子造得很妙 比如“生活并不仿效艺术 它仿效烂电视节目”
Your line was great. “Life doesn’t imitate art, it imitates bad TV.”
– 我想这完全正确 – 是啊
– I think it’s completely true. – Right.
我想说的是 你的意见 对我非常的重要
I can’t tell you how much your opinion means to me, you know.
你想不想去走走?
Listen, you wanna go for a walk? I mean…
走走?
A walk?
– 你很忙 是吗? – 不忙
– You’re busy, right? – No, no.
我只是想散散步 聊聊天
I just meant for a walk, to discuss….
你想听到更多的 关于你小说的看法

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!