我们都是1957年11月出生的
We were both born in November 1957.
我八岁时在博尔顿学校就认识了他
I’ve known him since we were eight-year-old boys at Bolton School.
我可以让威尔载我去看望你
I could get Will to drive me over to meet you,
不知道方不方便
if that was convenient.
我希望能约在11月2日周一去你的诊所
I would like to book myself into your clinic on Monday, 2nd November.
祝好 西蒙·宾纳
Ebullient regards, Simon Binner.
虽然你现在说约在11月2号♥
If you say you want to go on the 2nd of November,
但还剩一周的时候
what if you, a week before, say,
也许你改变主意想延期了呢
Well, I want to hang on a bit longer?
不会的
-你怎么知道 -这事说不准啊
– You don’t know that. – You don’t know.
-不 不会的 -反正我要问问能不能改期
– No, I won’t. – Well, I’ll ask her that.
11月2号♥是什么重要的日子吗
What’s so significant about the 2nd of November?
是他的生日
It’s his birthday.
我们在小学认识的
We met at primary school.
他总是在讲笑话
He was always the guy telling jokes, the, the…
他总是人群的焦点 很有领导力
the big man in the crowd, the leader of the gang.
墓地里从来不会有哪个人
生日和忌日是同一天
-好吧 -这样就出名了…
– Oh, OK. – So, you’ll be quirky in that…
我很担心西蒙的一点是
One worry I have with Simon,
他很喜欢大动作
he has a tendency for the big gesture.
你懂我意思吗
That this may be
也许安乐死就是他最后一个大动作
the big gesture to end them all, if you see what I mean.
一旦他做出决定并公之于众
And that once he’s made the decision and publicised his intention,
我担心他会被这个决定束缚
he will then feel locked into it, even though
哪怕他后来已经改了主意
he might be having second thoughts later.
-你之前从来没有见过她吗 -没见过
– So, you haven’t actually met her before? – No.
-那你想过要问她什么问题吗 -没想过
– Have you thought of the questions you want to ask her? – No.
我就是担心这个
Well, THAT is a worry.
我很担心这一切你都没有想清楚
It worries me that you’re not thinking these things through.
不 我已经想清楚了
No, I have thought these things through!
我的身体在走下坡路
你怎么知道你的身体在走下坡路
How do you know you’re going downhill?
我最近早上醒来
手总是在抖
但这不影响你正常生活
But that doesn’t stop you living.
你能吃饭 手脚也灵便 能看
You can eat, your arms and legs work, you can see,
能听 还能…
you can hear, you can…
我觉得自己很脆弱
谁没有脆弱的时候…
Everyone feels vulnerable at some point, so…
你根本没有仔细考虑 直接就随口一说
And you’re not thinking about these things, you’re just saying,
我要把日子定在11月2号♥
I’m booking on the 2nd November.
我觉得你是心里慌了
Because I think that’s panic.
我的身体状况急转直下
I am going down like this.
不 是你自己认为身体每况愈下
Yes, but… No, you are saying you are going down like this…
-这是事实 -不是
– I am, I am! – You’re not.
我们收到了很多安乐死的请求
We have far too many demands for assisted dying.
需求量已经超过了我们的限额
More demands than you have dates to give to the people.

Ja.
对 没错
Klar, klar, klar. Ja.
该如何决定接受谁的请求
How can you decide to which ones you say no,
又拒绝谁的请求呢
to which ones you say yes?
请进 请进
Come in. Come in.
在瑞士 安乐死的规定是
In Switzerland, the guidelines are,
必须身患某种疾病
you must have some sort of illness,
必须神志清醒
you must be of sound mind,
必须经过深思熟虑
you must have been thinking about it for a long time.
我需要认真倾听
I have to listen and make sure
确保他们没有过早地
they are not throwing something away,
抛弃大好年华
the most precious gift of life,
放弃人生最珍贵的馈赠
that has ever been given to them, too early.
我完全理解有些人
非常脆弱
绝对不能
逼迫他们选择安乐死
-没错 -绝对不行
– Yes. – Never.
但我向你保证
我绝对不是这样
我已经想得非常清楚
你想清楚了
You have thought it through.
我选择死亡
-你选择死亡 -没错
– You want to die. – Yeah.
没错
Yes.
我的身体越来越差
但是黛比认为
我夸张了身体状况恶化的速度
你身患绝症
You have an incurable illness,
意识清醒
you are of sound mind,
虽然身体情况不好
you don’t seem to be depressed,
但你并没有因此情绪低落
even though you have a very bad illness,
这是好事
which is very good…
-我能问你个问题吗 -当然
– Can I ask you a question about it? – Yes, of course.
你怎么知道他现在是意识清醒的
Because how do you know he’s of sound mind at the moment?
通过和他交谈
Just by talking to him.
-是吗 -通过倾听他所说的话
– Right. – Just by listening to him.
有没有可能他只是今天特别害怕
Could it be that he’s just really scared today
或许过段时间 比如说明天
and that maybe as time… Like tomorrow,
他可能会对这件事有不同的想法
the next day, he might feel a bit different.
因为他 因为我每天陪着他
Cos his… Cos I live with him
-我知道他情绪会有高低起伏 -没错
– and see his mood go up and down. – Yes, yes.
所以我很担心 他只是太害怕了…
I think what makes me worry is that he’s so frightened…
我不怕死亡 我不怕
但你害怕自己不能自理
But you’re frightened of being incapacitated.
不 我不害怕
我不希望失去自理能力
但是这种心情
不是害怕
我担心他这个决定太轻率
It worries me that it’s a knee-jerk reaction.
“就这么定了 我要安乐死…”
“Right, that’s it. I’m kind of going and…”
我希望他能更深入地考虑这件事
And I want him to think about it more deeply and…
这取决于你想要什么
It depends on what you want.
但决定权在你们手中
But it’s your decision.
艾瑞卡 你为何如此肯定
Why are you so sure, Erika?
为什么你会如此热衷此事
Why do you feel so passionately about it?
只需要认真地倾听
You only have to listen to people.
倾听他们内心的声音
You really have to listen to them.
他不是孩子
You know, he’s not a child.
他知道自己想要什么
He knows what he wants to do.
这是他的人生
And it is his life.
这么多年来 他一直掌控着自己的人生
He has been taking responsibility for his life for many, many years,
而且他很有主见
and he’s a strong-minded person.
现在 他的生命接近尾声
And now, at the end of life,
身体也越来越虚弱
that he gets weaker…
可他依然很有主见
He is still strong-minded,
但因为他的疾病
but people tend to treat
人们总容易将他当成小孩
as if they were children.
我完全能理解你的想法
I can understand what you want.
你希望能将丈夫尽可能长久地留在身边
You would like to keep your husband as long as possible
因为你爱他
Because you love him.
这件事本身就很难接受
And it’s very, very difficult to accept.
在自然死亡之前…
Saying goodbye before nature…
被迫选择离别
Forces you to.
留下来的人
People who have to let go
比选择离开的人更痛苦
do the more difficult job than the people who go.
这一点非常重要
That’s very important to know.
自己去做安乐死
It is much easier to go into an assisted dying
比接受亲人安乐死要简单得多
than to accept an assisted dying.
你知道为什么吗
Do you know why?
一旦死了 那就是死了
After you’re dead, you’re dead.
-是的 -你已经解脱了
– Yeah. – You’re out of the problems.
但是你的妻子要继续活下去
But your wife has to go on living.
你得问问你自己 决定权是在他手里
You must ask yourself. Is it his decision?
还是在你手里
Is it your decision?
这是他的人生 还是你的人生
Is it his life? Is it your life?
我知道很不容易
I know it’s difficult.
其实死亡并不一定是很可怕的事
Dying does not have to be something horrible.
死亡可以是…
Dying can be something…
像是某种仪式
Something like a ceremony.
对了 上周我们实施了一例安乐死
Do you know, last week, we had an assisted dying
当时那位女士身边有21个人陪着
and this lady had 21 people who were with her.
-真的 -21个人

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!