that I was a raging optimist, because that isn’t true.
但我也没达到临床抑郁症
But I’m also not clinically depressed either.
结果就是这么显示的
That’s what it shows.
我有点消极 但并不极端
I incurred a bit on the negative side, but not extraordinarily.
我觉得那正是…
I think that’s exactly…
这就像是在光谱的负面
It’s on the negative side of the spectrum.
我在想 伊莲是不是在打太极
I’m now wondering if Elaine is simply being diplomatic,
我的测试结果是不是比她说的更糟
and if my results are rather worse than she’s suggesting,
或者这只是我的臆想
or is that just paranoia?
测试结果证实了我一直以来的猜测
So, that test has shown what I guess I’ve always believed,
我看待事物偏消极
that I have a fundamentally negative filter
这使我倾向于悲观
and that makes me prone to pessimism,
焦虑 时而神经质
anxiety and also sometimes neuroticism.
这种性格影响着我的人际关系
It colours my relationships
影响着我应对世界的方式
and also affects how I react to the world.
一个对出现消极事物异常敏感的大脑
A brain that is hyper-aware of things that can go wrong
会导致压力与焦虑的增加
leads to increased stress and anxiety,
这不仅仅是一种心理状态
and it’s more than just a state of mind.
它与你的身体反应有着强烈的联♥系♥
It’s powerfully connected to how your body responds.
我来到卡拉OK厅唱歌♥
I’ve come to this karaoke bar to sing, badly
要面对100位陌生人
in front of 100 strangers.
我要向你展示当你被消极思想掌控时
I’m here to demonstrate what happens to your body
你的身体会如何反应
when you allow negative thoughts to dominate your mind.
现在你从太空回来
So now you’re back from Outer Space
我来到这里想要找到你
I just walked in here to find you here
你面露苦色
With that sad look upon your face…
我的身体在对我尖叫
My body is really screaming at me,
这实在是个坏主意 我的脉搏
this is a really, really bad idea because my pulse is
已经飙到120了
running at around 120,
我的嘴唇干燥 身体震颤无力
my mouth is dry and I’ve got a faint tremor.
处理恐惧和威胁的大脑区域在紧张工作
Areas of my brain that deal with fear and threat have kicked in.
这些是进化过程中为确保生存而形成的
These evolved to ensure survival
但今天令我恐惧的并不是剑齿虎
but today it’s not a sabre-toothed tiger that’s terrifying me,
而只是一小段独唱
It’s a just little singing alone.
我的意思是 这有点古怪
I mean, it’s sort of odd
因为你可以想象有人靠上镜为生
because you’d imagine somebody who makes a living out of
并且感觉相当良好
appearing in front of a camera would feel quite comfortable,
可惜我不是
but I don’t,
做这些事时 我感觉一点都不舒服
I don’t feel remotely comfortable about doing anything like this
我能看到每个人在对我翻白眼
and I can see the whites of everyone’s eyes
这让我充满恐惧
and that fills me with horror.
让我们欢迎下一位歌♥手
Will you please welcome the next singer?
迈克尔·莫斯利先生
Mr Michael Mosley!
初见你时我害怕 我惊呆了
First I was afraid, I was petrified
想着这辈子可能没有你活不下去
Kept thinking I could never live without you by my side…
歌♥的前一段还好 因为我基本靠喊
The first bit of the song is OK because I just have to shout
当音乐进入的时候 我就愣住了
but when the music kicks in, I’m stuffed.
上场前我就在想 如果我僵住了怎么办
Before I came on, I was thinking, what happens if I freeze?
这想法终于成为现实
And that thought became self-fulfilling.
我完全呆若木鸡了
I’ve totally shut down.
这显然是一个非常不寻常的情况
Now this is obviously a highly unusual situation
但它确实证明了消极思想
but it certainly demonstrates the power of negative thoughts
对人类生理活动的影响之大
to influence human physiology.
卡拉OK娱乐活动之后
After the pleasures of karaoke,
我来到马萨诸塞州波士顿 这里的工程师们
I’m in Boston, Massachusetts, where engineers have invented
发明了一种谨慎的方式来测量不可捉摸之物
a discreet way of measuring that most elusive of things –
我们的情绪
our emotions.
这种设备是由管理这家媒体实验室的
It’s a device created by Professor Ros Picard,
罗斯·皮卡德教授发明的
who runs the media lab here,
让你日夜都可以佩戴着
and it’s something you can wear day and night.
罗斯 我戴上了这些手环
So, Ros, I’ve got these wrist bands.
它们究竟有什么用
What exactly are they doing?
你该把它看作是
You need to think about this sort of,
罗莎琳德·皮卡德教授 麻省理工学院
一种新型穿戴式显微镜
as like a new kind of wearable microscope
可以让你看到你的机体内部
that lets you look inside your body
看到一些你以前看不见的东西
and see some things that previously you couldn’t, couldn’t see.
真有趣 所以 你在用它们
How interesting! So, essentially, you’re using these
解读那些人们无法
to read emotions that people
很好表达
cannot necessarily express
甚至是没有察觉的情绪
or don’t even know they’re experiencing?
说得对 有时它们会让人很惊讶
That’s right, and sometimes they’re full of surprises.
你在逗弄我 干得好
Oh, you’re tantalising me. You’re doing very well.
你戴着一对吗 或者只是个时髦的大手表
OK, are you wearing a pair or is that just a big, snazzy watch?
是的 这就是
Yeah, this is just a
将来会问世的版本原型
prototype of a future version that’s coming out.
好的 真棒
OK, great.
手环会通过探测电导率
The wrist bands can monitor someone’s emotional state
以及人体皮肤温度的微小变化
by detecting minute changes in the electrical conductivity
来监测人的情绪状态
and temperature of the skin.
这些是受所谓的自主神经系统驱动的
These are driven by the so-called autonomic nervous system.
即使在我们谈话时 我也在监测之下
And I’m being monitored even while we talk.
为什么不用让人们填写问卷的方式
Why not just rely on people filling in questionnaires?
而是要依靠科技呢
Why do you need technology?
天哪 人们在填问卷的时候
Oh, goodness! People just will say the darndest things
通常会言不由衷 对吧
on questionnaires, right?
他们会认为自己很快乐
They’ll think that they’re happy,
我当然很快乐
Of course I’m happy, you know,
而最后 在测试了20个样本后
and, finally, you know, 20 samples later,
他们意识到自己其实很痛苦
they realise they’re miserable, all right?
我们发现 身体会先于意识之前
We find that the body often tells you
给予人们关于
there’s a change in your state
自身状态变化的讯息
well before your mind recognises that change,
因此即使你尽力如实
so even if you’re trying really hard to be truthful
回答问卷 你的认识也会与真实状况
on a questionnaire, usually your awareness of what’s going on
有很大的落差
lags quite a bit behind.
好的 你在我们交流过程中一直带着手环
OK, you’ve been wearing these wrist bands the whole time
现在我要取下它
we’ve been interacting, and now I’ll take them off
我们来看看你的监测数据
and we’re going to take a look at your data.
好的 很快就好吗
OK, and you can do it that fast?
是的 很快
Oh, yes, it’s very quick.
一边聊天 一边就能
It’s not often you get to see a chat going on
获取身体内部信息 这样的机会可不多
and also see at the same time what’s going on inside you.
我兴奋或焦虑时 读数会比较高
The readings are higher when I’m excited or anxious,
平静时会较低
and lower when I’m calm.
这就是罗斯所称的觉醒水平
It’s what Ros calls my arousal level.
好的 这里有四个信♥号♥♥
All right, what we have here is four signals.
红色是你的右手环读数 蓝色是左边
The red is your right side, the blue is your left side.
这是我的左边和右边
This is my left side and my right side.
首先 我们看到在这样的社交互动中
So, first of all, we’re seeing that your baseline arousal
你的觉醒基线值比我的高
is higher than mine during this social interaction.
手环显示我比罗斯易激动
So, the wrist bands show I’m more aroused than Ros
但我是紧张还是仅仅是兴奋呢
but am I stressed or just excited?
加上我之前做的脑部检测
As with the brain test I did earlier,
罗斯感兴趣的是 我身体的哪一侧
the thing Ros is interested in is, which side of my body
会更活跃一些
is showing more activity?
我右手腕的反应强度明显比我左侧高
There’s clearly higher response on my right wrist than my left,
研究表明这与我的杏仁体有关
and research suggests this can be linked to my amygdala,
杏仁体是进化形成应对恐惧和威胁的大脑部位
a part of the brain which evolved to deal with fear and threat.
大多数激动体验会让两侧一起活跃
Now, most arousing experiences activate both of them
但在某些特定体验中 如社交恐惧症
but certain kinds of experiences, like social phobia,
或者威胁型情境
or threat-type situations,
右侧优势手的人
we would expect for a right handed person,
他们的右侧会更活跃些
the right one to be activated more.
真有趣 这就是轻微社交恐惧者
How interesting! So, that is absolutely compatible with somebody
所经历的情况
who feels mildly socially phobic
这是一种让人不舒服的处境吧
and is an uncomfortable situation?
我们所预料的是这样
That is what we would expect.
维持那么高的水平
And that is quite tiring,
我猜这一定很让人疲累吧
I imagine, looking at that to sustain that sort of level of peak?
不轻松 和别人在一起不是易事
It’s work. Being around people can be hard work.