two, one. And that’s you done.
完美 很好
Perfect. Whoo! Way to go.
非常好
Lovely.
好了 一天就要结束了
OK, it’s the end of the day
我感到无比疲倦
and I’m feeling surprisingly knackered.
一会儿我们将把这些全都装进车里
In a moment, we’re going to pile all this stuff in the van
然后踏上新的征程
and we’re going to head off round the country
因为我想要发现更多关于运动的真♥相♥
because I want to find out a few more truths about exercise.
我将随身带着这个 因为接下来一个月
I’m going to take this with me because over the next month,
每周三次 我将会继续这一训练
three times a week, I’m going to get on it
我会疯狂地骑一分钟自行车
and I’m going to pedal like crazy for one minute,
这意味着下个月里
which means over the next month,
我一共会进行12分钟的高♥强♥度锻炼
I’m going to do a total of 12 minutes’ intense exercise.
很显然 这会带来很大的改变
And apparently, that is going to make all the difference.
现在 我非常怀疑
Now, I am really very sceptical,
但也非常想去尝试
but I’m absolutely dying to do it.
我觉得我能做到这12分钟
I think I can afford 12 minutes
然后我会再回来 观察结果
and I’m going to come back and find out,
如果这种方式真的有效
and if it really does work,
我的内心将会深受震动
I am going to be absolutely shaken to my core
并且我觉得它真能改变一些事
and I think it’s really going to change things.
但是现在已是傍晚时分 该走了
But it’s the end of the day, it’s time to roll,
我想我需要找人帮个忙来把它搬进车厢
and I think I need a bit of help getting this in the van.
伙计 你能帮我抬一下它吗 谢谢
Guys, could you come and help me heave it? Thank you.
很好 你抓住那一端
OK, if you grab that end…
在进行这种短时间高♥强♥度训练的同时
As well as doing short bursts of high-intensity training,
我也在尝试一些其他的事情
I’m also going to try something else.
它的强度极低 我甚至都不能称之为锻炼
Something so low-intensity, I wouldn’t call it exercise.
它不需要任何器械 也不用出汗
It involves no machines, no sweat,
不用任何成本 而且
no cost, and is big news
对于我们这种久坐人群来说是个大新闻
for those of us who spend too much time on our backsides.
-你好 -你好
– Hello there. – Hey, how are you?
要坐一坐吗
Would you care for a seat?
不用了 谢谢
No, thank you.
詹姆斯·莱文医生是一位肥胖病专家
Dr James Levine is an obesity expert.
他的研究表明
His research suggests
最好的减重和健身方式
the best way to lose weight and improve health
是增加你的NEAT
is to increase your NEAT.
好吧 那么什么是NEAT
OK, so what is NEAT?
NEAT是指非运动性热量消耗
NEAT is Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis.
詹姆斯·莱文医生
玛尤诊所
这是你每日生活中所燃烧的卡路里
That’s the calories you burn in your everyday living.
做什么
Doing…?
你日常生活中的所有事
All the movements you do that represent living your life.
早上起床 晚上睡觉
Getting up in the morning, going to bed at night,
甚至你睡着时的每一个翻身
even movements while you’re sleeping,
这都是非运动性热量消耗
that’s NEAT.
我们很多人一天在椅子上坐12个小时
Many of us spend 12 hours a day in a chair.
真的是坐12小时
Literally 12 hours a day in a chair,
一动不动的12小时
those are 12 hours of not moving.
这个数字很惊人
It’s an extraordinary number.
我确定我不是这样的 对吗
I’m sure I don’t, do I?
-你就是这样的 我打赌 -好吧
– You do, I bet. – OK.
我们将会去找出结果
We’re going to find out.
这是大家所知的”坐立不安裤”
Known by the public as fidget pants,
我们称这些为NEAT裤
we call these NEAT underwear.
首先你能看到这些洞
You can see first of all there are holes,
-这些洞有着明显的生物学目的 -是的
– and the holes are for obvious biological purposes. – Yeah.
然而 与坐立不安裤相连的
However, attached to the fidget pants
是很多传感器
are multiple sensors.
我给你看看它们是什么样子的
Let me just show you what they look like.
这个小芯片的每一次动作
Every movement made by
都会被收集 每秒收集20次
this little chip is gathered 20 times a second
然后数据会储存在处理器中
and stored on a processor here.
所以如果你一整天都穿着它们
So if you were to wear these for a whole day,
我们就能看到你做的所有事情
we could see everything you’re doing
-每秒20次 从早到晚 -好的
– 20 times a second, night and day. – OK.
正如我在格拉斯哥大学发现的那样
As I discovered in Glasgow,
人的活跃程度与
being active switches on
控制血液中脂肪水平的基因有关
genes that control fat levels in the blood.
它同样也提高新陈代谢率
It also increases metabolic rate.
这位可爱的女士正向我们走来
This lovely young lady coming towards us
她的新陈代谢率正在呈三倍增加
She is tripling her metabolic rate.
看那个小伙子 这里
Look at this chap… Here?
不是 在她身后发短♥信♥的小伙子 对的
No, this chap behind her doing his texting, right,
他步行的速度大概每小时2或2.2千米
he’s walking about 1.3, 1.4 miles an hour,
他的新陈代谢率正在成倍增加
he’s more than doubling his metabolic rate.
仅仅只是站着又如何呢
What about just standing?
站着 你的新陈代谢率
Standing, you increase your metabolic rate
仅仅只在原基础上增加了10%
only about 10% above basal,
这个数字并不高
it’s not a great burner.
但也不很低 然而 我们的观点是
But it’s not bad. And the concept, however,
只要你在站立 就更有可能去走路
is if you’re standing, you’re more likely to walk.
但是走路 你看那些绅士们
But walking, you see these gentlemen here,
有个小伙子每小时2到2.2千米
you’ve one chap walking about 1.3, 1.4 miles an hour,
另一个人走得稍快一点
another guy walking a bit faster,
差不多每小时3.3到3.5千米
about 2.1, 2.2 miles an hour,
他们的新陈代谢率分别增加两倍和三倍
doubling and tripling their metabolic rate, respectively.
所以基本来说 如果要走路 那就走快些
So basically, if you’re going to walk, go at a respectable speed.
-不 只管走就好 -只管走 好吧
– No! Just walk. – Walk, OK.
只管走
Just walk!
从椅子上起来去走路
Get up off your bottom and walk.
在这些裤子的帮助下 我将发现
With the aid of these pants, I’m going to find out
我一天的活动量有多大或多小
‘how much, or how little, I move during the day.
我很好奇自己相比于他人是怎样的
I’m curious how I compare to others,
所以我邀请了另外两只”小白鼠”
so I’ve recruited a couple of extra guinea pigs.
斯蒂芬妮·韦尔 在咖啡店当服务员
Stephanie Ware, a waitress here at Cafe Kick,
罗伯特·凯尔西 健康方面的作家
and Robert Kelsey, an author who writes about health.
我们三个之中
Out of the three of us,
我想知道谁燃烧的卡路里最多
I want to find out who burns the most calories.
这是你的 斯蒂芬妮
This one for you, Stephanie.
谢谢 这是你的 罗伯特 这是我的
Thank you. This one for you, Robert, and one for me.
我觉得这就是均码的
I think it’s one size fits all.
-你觉得怎么样 -很个性
– What do you think, then? – Stylish.
我比较喜欢把它们称为坐立不安裤
These are, well, I like to call them fidget pants.
看看它们
So if you have a look at them.
你们将在接下来的24小时一直穿着它们
You’re going to have to wear them for the next 24 hours
它们将会精确测量你们的每一个动作
and they’re going to measure pretty well every movement you take.
我们将会下载数据
And we’re going to then download that data
并得出你们在这一天的活跃度
and see just how active you are during the day.
很好 好了
Good? OK?
-裤子活跃吗 -活跃
– Pants active? – Active.
闪闪亮亮的
Lights flashing?
非常感谢你们 我非常期待
Thank you very much. I look forward to seeing you
几周之后得出结果时再见到你们
in a few weeks when we have the results.
好的 谢谢你 拜拜
OK. Thank you. Bye-bye.
问题是 谁活动得最多
The question is, who moves the most?
尽管斯蒂芬妮
Although Stephanie does
没有做任何的正式锻炼 没有活动计划
no official exercise, no planned activity,
她一整天都在走路
she is on her feet all day,
这意味着她的非运动性热量消耗最高
suggesting that she may have a high NEAT.
罗伯特工作时必须久坐
Robert has a sedentary job,
但他几乎每天都去健身房♥
but he goes to the gym most days,
并且他做到了所推荐的每周锻炼两个半小时
and he notches up the recommended two-and-a-half hours a week.
至于我 我的日常生活中
As for me, well, my normal routine is filled
久坐的时间要比我想象的多得多
with far more sitting down than I would have thought possible.
我想这真的非常极端
I think it’s really quite extreme.
他们接下来要做的是
What they’re going to do
测量我的最大摄氧量 我的肺活量
is measure my VO2 max, my lung capacity…
两周过去了 是时候去詹姆斯那里看结果了
Two weeks later and it’s time to meet James for the results,
当然是站着 我们每个人都有一张图表