他真的对我说
he honestly said to me,
我不能 我无法进去为你买♥♥
“I can’t, I can’t go in there and get them for you.
这就像是帮你买♥♥毒品 你知道吗
“It would be like dealing to you. You know,
这要可能会害死你
“This could be the one
而我将永远无法原谅自己
that kills you and I’d never forgive myself.”
乔仍在与她的药瘾作斗争
Jo is still battling her addiction.
让她上瘾的药物就是
The drug she craves is
特效止痛药可待因
the codeine in extra-strength pain killers.
可待因是一种鸦♥片♥
Codeine is an opiate,
与一级毒品海♥洛♥因♥是同族的
the same family of drugs as class A street drug heroin.
可待因可以止痛
As well as killing pain,
同时让人有镇静 幸福的感觉
codeine gives a feeling of calm, of wellbeing,
这一点可能要比止痛更吸引人
that can be more attractive than the pain-killing itself.
对止痛药上瘾简直轻而易举
It is incredibly easy to get addicted to pain killers
而且情况有蔓延趋势
and there’s an epidemic, that’s not too strong a word,
这么说并不夸张
of usually women out there,
完全依赖于可待因止痛片的女性正在增加
who are entirely dependent on codeine-based pain killers.
但就像其他的药一样
But just like any drug,
你体内会产生耐受
you build up tolerance and
这就是成瘾的原因
it’s this that lies behind the addiction.
你吃得越多 作用越小
The more you take, the less effect it tends to have.
你一开始吃很小的剂量
So you start out taking a small dose.
以后的药量会越来越大
You need a bigger dose and a bigger dose
最后你就形成了恶性循环
and you finally end up in a sort of vicious circle
所以你要不断增加药剂的量
where you have to keep increasing the dose over and over,
才能起到原来的止痛效果
to get the same effect in terms of pain relief.
我有过一天吃70片
I was at 70 a day.
如果你或者任何其他人吃的话
If I gave it to you, or anybody else,
可能会出人命
it could kill you.
而我 我不是说这不会害死我
Me, I’m not saying it can’t kill me.
我这是在冒险
I am at risk of that,
但是我的身体对它的忍♥耐性更强
but my body has been more used to it than you.
不仅仅是止痛药
It’s not just pain killers.
很多药都有成瘾性
Many medicines have the power to lure us in.
我的问题是夜里总会醒
I had a situation where I kept waking during the night
然后就睡不着了
and I couldn’t go back to sleep.
能试的办法我都试过
I tried everything I could,
总之 最后我去看医生
so basically I went to see the doctor
给她说明了我的情况
and I explained to her what the problem was.
她给我开的药方只是短期的
The tablets that she prescribed me was only a short-term thing,
六到八周
six to eight weeks,
而我已经吃了差不多20年了
and I’ve been on them for about 20 years, something like that.
我服用类固醇的时候 那时年纪很小
When I was on steroids, when I was a lot younger,
我一直记着自己盯着那些药片 想着
I can always remember looking at them thinking,
我真的能戒掉吗 我疼的时候
“Can I actually give them up? When I’m in pain,
我该怎么办 我吃什么药
what am I going to do, what am I going to take?”
渐渐地 天长日久
Gradually, as the years went by,
我开始意识到自己严重上瘾了
I began to realise that I was seriously addicted
我得吃越来越多 根本戒不掉
and I just needed more and more. I couldn’t get off them.
我还记得妈妈把这药丢进水槽
I can remember my mum tipping them down the sink, saying,
说”你不能再吃了”
“You can’t have any more.”
一旦我明白过来 我可以做到
And once I got it in my head that I could,
不吃药我也能活 我也过得挺好的
I could do without them, I was fine.
我现在很好 非常好
I feel great now. I feel absolutely great.
我已经戒掉药瘾了
I’m drug free.
乔在2006年陷入人生低谷
Jo reached rock bottom in 2006
从那时起 决定要改变自己的生活
and has been trying to turn her life around since then.
她在慢慢地戒药
She’s on the slow road to recovery,
如果停药太快的话
battling against withdrawal symptoms
会产生恶心 疼痛和焦虑等戒断症状
of nausea, pain and anxiety if she cuts down too quickly.
我的情况已经控制住了
I’ve got it under control now,
大概一天平均吃10到20片
to about anything from ten to 20 a day, on average.
谁最听话呀
Who’s a good boy?!
是为了避免戒断症状
“It’s to keep off the withdrawals.”
放在这 真棒
Drop it there! Good boy!
我每天都在努力
I live day for day.
我希望 有那么一天
And I hope, one day,
我的服药量会越来越少
that so many will go down to so many, and then go down.
我从没有放弃过努力
I don’t ever give up trying.
但是很多人提出质疑
But many people question whether codeine even needs to be
非处方药中是否有必要加入可待因
in these over-the-counter drugs in the first place.
有一点值得提出的是 柜台出♥售♥的
One of the things about the over-the-counter pain killers
加了可待因的阿司匹林 扑热息痛 布洛芬
that contain codeine with aspirin or paracetamol or ibuprofen
其所含可待因的剂量
is the amounts of codeine in those tablets
并不足以让人止痛
is not thought to be enough to have a real effect on the pain,
所以吃了以后的效果并不比
so you are probably no better off taking those tablets
单纯的阿司匹林 扑热息痛或布洛芬好
than you are taking standard aspirin, ibuprofen or paracetamol.
其中所含可待因的剂量
They don’t contain enough
不能减轻病痛
codeine to give you any additional pain relief,
但却足以让你上瘾
but there is enough to get you hooked.
尽管药物很危险 我们还是很爱它
Despite how dangerous pills can be, we still love them.
如果我能发明一种万能药
If I could invent a pill to do anything,
我想要一种
I’d quite like one that
让你只用睡十五分钟
could just put you to sleep for 15 minutes
醒来以后就会焕然一新的药
and you’d be completely refreshed when you woke up.
我想发明一种能治愈所有疾病的药
I’d invent one pill that covers the whole spectrum.
一天只吃一片
You just take one pill in the day and that’s it.
然后你就好了
You’re good to go.
如果我能发明一种药物
If I could invent a pill, it
就发明一种没有可怕的副作用的减肥药
would be a thin pill with no horrible side effects.
我觉得我会发明
I think mine would just have to be a
一种治愈严重疾病的药
general one for any very, very severe illness that people get.
说的真好 你比我无私多了
Oh, that’s nice, that’s so much less selfish than me.
如果我能发明药物的话
If I would invent any pill,
我就会发明一种万能药
it would be something that would cure everything
给它取名叫作
and it would be called…
感染救星
..infection curer.
人们对药物的喜爱也是合情合理的
This love of pills is not without good reason.
只要每天按时服用就能创造奇迹
They perform miracles on a daily basis,
尤其是抗生素药物
none more so than antibiotics.
我认为抗生素是个奇迹
I believe they’re magic, yes, antibiotics.
我对它完全认同
I’m all for those.
平均每个人有60次要用到抗生素
Each of us will turn to them an average of 60 times.
它们已经被认为是
They have been credited with
将人类寿命延长近十年的良方
increasing our lifespan by almost a decade,
但我们与自然界最伟大奇迹之间的关系
but our relationship with nature’s great miracle
却变得越来越令人担忧
is getting more fraught.
一直以来 细菌都在进行反击
For a long time, bacteria have been fighting back.
凡亚·甘特医生的一位病人
Dr Vanya Gant has a patient
正挣扎在生死边缘
who is battling for her life.
她所接受的癌症治疗
A treatment she’s been receiving
使她变得极易被感染
for cancer has left her vulnerable to infection
而现在 她所服用的抗生素不管用了
and now the antibiotics she’s been given aren’t working.
回到实验室里 他得找出原因
Back in the lab, he needs to find out why.
我现在能看见的有机体是链球菌
What I can see here are organisms called streptococci,
因为它们的形状和长度都很典型
because they have a classic shape and a classic length,
而且是链状结构
and they come in chains.
但是这些信息还不够
But that’s not really quite enough
对我来说 必须清楚地知道这是什么
for me to know exactly what this bug is,
所以我要在培养皿里培养它
so we grow it on plates like this,
每个像这样的菌落里
and each of these dots
有将近五亿个有机体
has about a half-billion organisms in it.
这些小圆盘里含有抗生素
These discs here have got antibiotics in them
并会释放到琼脂中
which leak out into the agar,
如果你看那里
and if you look at that one there,
你会发现这个很大一块区域
you can see there’s a very, very,
什么都没有
very, large zone of clearing
这是因为
and that’s because that antibiotic
这种抗生素杀死了有机体
is killing that organism,
但若再观察其他的
but if you look at all the others,