she did it while completing the 4-years of high school in 2
她在两年的时间里完成了四年的高中学业
she did it while homeless, her mother was dead, her father was a drug addict living in shelters
期间她无家可归,她母亲死了。她吸毒的父亲在收♥容♥所♥里
and any way I describe this can’t do just to her accomplishment
不论我怎么表述,也概括不了她的成就
so I’ll just introduce to you our 6th NYT scholarship winner
所以我将直接请出我们第六届纽♥约♥时♥报♥的奖学金获得者
Liz Murray
丽思•马里
everything’s changed, My life will never be the same.
所有的事都改变了,我的人生不会像从前了
and I don’t know what else to say except for thank you
我也不知道该说什么,除了谢谢
thank you very much
非常感谢
Liz Liz, how did you do this?
丽思,你是怎么做到的?
How could I not do it?!
我怎么做不到呢
my parents showed me with the alternative was
我的父母教会了我可能
did you ever feel sorry for yourself?
你为你的过去感到抱歉吗?
sorry?
抱歉?
sleeping in the subway. eating out of dumpsters
睡在地铁,吃在垃圾桶旁
that had always been my life and I really
那总是我生活的一部分,我…
I feel that I got lucky, because any sensive security was pulled out from under me
我感到幸运是因为所有的安全感都抛在了脑后
so I was forced to look forward. I had to… there was no going back
所以我迫使自己向前,我必须这样…没有后路
and I reached a point where I just thought
当我我意识到这点,我想
“oh I’m gonna work as hard as I possiblly can and see what happens”
and now I’m going to college. and the NYT is going to pay
现在我要上大学了,纽♥约♥时♥报♥支付我学费
so you were lucky! but is there anything you change, if you were able?
那你是幸运的,但如果可以的话,你会去改变什么
Yeah, I’d give it back. all of it. If I could have my family back.
我愿意换回一切,如果能让我的家庭回来
[monologue] I got into Harvard. I got a job at the NYT. I got an apartment.
我进入了哈佛,我在纽♥约♥时♥报♥有了份工作。我有了自己的公♥寓♥
[monologue] I don’t have to carry my whole life with me any more.
我再也不用过颠沛流离的生活
[monologue] I don’t have to carry my whole life with me
我不用再过颠沛流离的生活
[monologue] but I do. everyone I’ve known, everything I have done. Jesus, chip off
但我深深记得我所有认识的人,所有我做过的事,还有记忆的片段
I forget the little things but still hard to carry alone
我忘记了那些琐碎的事情,但仍很难独自承受
so that’s why I told you. that’s why I’ve told you my story
所以我才会告诉你,我的故事
now I can lay it out and burn it done, put it in the rest, then I can go on
现在我能埋掉、燃烧、平息它,然后继续向前
嗨,妈妈
丽思的艾滋病父亲生活在他自己的公♥寓♥里
克里斯有了份稳定的工作,并且继续和丽思是好朋友
丽思用在演讲赚来的钱支付公♥寓♥的月租
丽思2003年春天离开了哈佛,并且继续在大学深造
她相信自己可以独自面对将来的道路

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!