I did. I’ve been looking for a long time.
我找过了,找你好久了
you have been in any ever places?
你都不在以前的地方
I’m here now. I’m going to a new school. and I like it.
我现在在这,在上学,你会喜欢的
hey hey come on. it’s great. we’re together.
来嘛,多好啊,我们又在一起了
last one out, first one in.
最后走的人,最先到
no that describes you david.
不,那是在说你自己
how did you get so dedicated?
你怎么那么敬业?
well, I’m such a privilege jerk. I want it to give something back.
我得到了很多恩惠,所以我得回报
this is?
这是?
my friend chris. my best friend.
我的朋友克里斯,我最好的朋友
hi chris. hey
你好,克里斯
I want her to come here too.
我想要她也能来
It’s not a party, it’s a tough place.
这里不是舞会,这里是严肃的地方
but she’s good enough for you, she’s good enough for me. come on in.
但你认为她行,我相信她能行,进来吧
what we putting on the board?
公告板上写的什么?
we’re deciding we’ll send top 10 students in school trip to Boston
我们决定派遣学校前十名去波士顿参观
cool. you’ve ever been?
酷。你去过吗?
I’ve never been out of New York.
我从没走出过纽约
we went to queen’s once.
我们曾进去过皇后街区
well, you’re going.
你会去的
come on. no way I’m one of the top 10 students.
得了吧,我根本进不了前十名
oh you’re not one of the top. you’re the top.
你不会是前十名之一,你是第一
you get the best grade in this whole place
你是班上成绩最好的
so what? you going to Boston?
那有怎样?去波士顿?
expenses paid.
旅费已付
how long? 5 days
多长时间? 5天
you ok, Liz?
怎么样,丽思?
yeah, I just thought I’ve been trash, you know.
我还以为自己一直是垃圾
you’re not trash. this is getting you thinking about college.
你不是垃圾,你应该考虑一下上大学了
what’s college like? It’s all crap, shup up!
什么样的大学?一塌糊涂,别说了
you can come too? can she?
你也能来,她行吗?
sure, if she does the work. well, not figure an inch, thanks.
当然,如果她做得到,别指望我,谢谢了
come on chris, dream a little. what you wanna be when you grow up?
克里斯,多一点理想,你长大后想干什么?
boy, I was grown since I was 7.
大叔,我7岁就已经长大了
I mean after high school. it’s ok.
我的意思是高中以后,没事的
no it’s not ok. I’ll be a garbageman. I’ll be a prostitude.
我有事,我会做个捡垃圾的,我会做个妓♥女♥
who cares what the hell I’m gonna be.
谁在意我变成什么样的混♥蛋♥呢
welcome to Harvard guys.
欢迎来到哈佛,伙计们
it looks like what you thought it would?
看上去和你想象一样吗
better. unattainably better
更好,难以想象的好
Liz, they’re just people.
丽思,他们也只是普通人
not people like me
和我不一样
[monologue] why not people like me ? what made them so different?
为什么他们不像我?是什么让他们这么不同?
[monologue] because of where they were born?
是因为他们的出生吗?
[monologue] I was working as hard as I could, so I didn’t end up on food stamps or house let.
我竭尽所能地工作,所以不用靠食品券和房♥屋召租为生
[monologue] what… what if I work even more?
如果我更努力地工作呢?
[monologue] I was so close to the skin now I can touch it.
我离那层膜如此的近,触手可及
it would be a reach. it’s not impossible.
你会达成的,这不是不可能
is there any other scholarships
这里面有其他的奖学金吗?
that’s quite a few.
有好多
write 1500 words on the important of the free market and the free world and win $500
关于自♥由♥市场在自♥由♥世界中的重要性 写1500字可以得到500元
yeah, I don’t need lead 70 of those every year.
可是每年我用不到70美元
there was some brandnew from the NYT, maybe I didn’t put it in yet.
有一个纽♥约♥时♥报♥的新奖学金,我还没放进去
$12000 every year for 4 years
每年12000美元 4年啊
what do you have to do?
有什么要求吗?
attach a brief essay describing what you believe to be the most significant in acadamic achievement and how you have overcome any chellenges or obstacles
附一个简短的论文描述你认为最重要的学术成就和怎样迎接挑战和障碍
can have a copy of this?
我能复印这份吗?
[monologue] I want to stand beside people beside walk and not be so far beneath them
我想和他们平起平坐而不是在他们之下
[monologue] I wanna go to Harvard and become very developed read all the best books
我想要去哈佛更好地发展,读所有最好的书
[monologue] then I found myself thinking
但我发现自己…是不是要疯狂地
[monologue] what if I just go crazy? I used my every potential to do that.
用我所有的潜力去做这件事
[monologue] I have to do it. I have no choice.
我必须这么做,我没有选择
Am I late?
我迟到了吗?
No, I’m early
不,是我来早了
I make you some coffee.
我帮你倒杯咖啡
once ***, right? right!
要加块糖吗? 好啊
can I have a stamp for this?
能给我张邮票吗?
that’s the NYT scholarship. you haven’t mailed them yet? when is the deadline?
纽♥约♥时♥报♥的奖学金?你还没寄出去吗?什么时候截止?
tomorrow. I gave you 4 months ago, Liz. what are you waiting for?
明天。我四个月前就给你了,你在等什么?
for today. for me to turn 18.
等今天,我满18岁
It’s your birthday.
你生日?
happy birthday.
哇,生日快乐
but I don’t think there’s a requirement
我想他们不需要这个要求
I know, thank you.
我知道,谢谢你
[monologue] but now I could tell the truth that I was homeless.
但是现在我可以告诉她事实,我无家可归
and no one could come and take me away
没人会接我回家
Lisa
丽萨
Liz?
丽思?
What are you doing here?
你来这干嘛?
I have this interview. I’m a finalist for a big NYT scholarship
我有一个面试,我进入了纽♥约♥时♥报♥奖学金最后一轮
but I don’t have anything to wear.
但我没有能穿的衣服
You want my clothes?
你想要我的衣服?
nothing fancy just something that I can put over this.
不要精美,只要合适就行了
mom sold my coat once, I couldn’t go to school
过去妈妈卖♥♥了我的外套,我没法上学
I remember
我记得
I cried, I loved going to school so much.
我还哭了,我真的很喜欢上学
you never went to school. why would they give you the scholarship
你从没去上学,他们怎么会给你奖学金?
because I’m homeless and I’m doing really well in school, and…
因为我无家可归,而且我在学校表现很好…
you’re not homeless, Liz. you could stay here.
你不是无家可归,你能住在这里
No I couldn’t. you know that
不,我不行,你知道的
pop hates you.
爷爷讨厌你?
I’m going blind. like mama
我真是瞎了眼,就像妈妈一样
I’m scared.
我很害怕
Liz, they kick me out of the group home and all my stuff.
丽思,他们把我赶出了教♥养♥院♥,还有所有的东西
they can’t kick you out, you’re not 18 yet.
他们不会赶你的,你还没18岁
They’ll bring to to Brucklin. I don’t wanna go to Brucklin. you have to help me
他们把我送到布鲁克林,我不想去,你得帮帮我
I have an interview. right?
我有一个面试,好吗?
just let get through this one thing, and you can come back and go to school
让我把这件事做完,你就能回来上学
no, I don’t wanna go to school, I don’t belong there, neither do you.
不,我不想上学,我不属于这里,你也是
yes I do.
不,我是
you think they like pepole like us to go to Harvard?
你认为他们会让想你我这样的人进哈佛?
[monologue] the world moves you just suspect
世界在转动,你只是一粒尘埃
[monologue] it could no happen without you
没有你,世界照样在转
[monologue] situations are not condused to what you want for yourself
现实不会按照你的意识去改变的
[monologue] someone else’s needs, someone else’s plate is going to be stronger than yours is.
一些人的需求 一些人的意志要比你更强
[monologue] I think people just get frustrated without harsh, life can be
严酷的生活会让人不知所措
[monologue] so they’re spending their time dwelling on that frustration
所以他们久久地困在挫败中
[monologue] we calling it anger. keep their eyes shut to the wholeness of the situation
我们生气地抱怨,而对整体的形势视而不见
[monologue] to all those tinny things that have come together to make it, what it is
看不清是多少微小的因素不断累积才导致这种局面。这就是原因
because I was turned so inward by mom and dad
因为我的父母让我变得内向
I got chance to see how all the little tiny things come together to make the final product
我才有机会看到微小的因素是如何聚集起来造成最终的局面
so I was never inclined to wonder why this or why that
所以我从不倾向于去问为什么这样 为什么那样
I knew why
我知道为什么
not that I was happy about it, in fact I was really sad about it, some of the time
对此我并不高兴,事实上很多时候让我很难过
but I was very excepting
但我很乐观
I was very excepting. I just always knew that I need to get out.
我很乐观,我知道我总得离开那里
is there anything else you’d like to tell us?
还有什么想告诉我们的?
I loved my mother.
我爱我的母亲
so much I mean
很爱她
she was a drug addict.
她是个瘾君子
she was an alcoholic
她是个酒鬼
she was legally blind
而且基本失明
she was schizophrenic
患有精神分♥裂♥
but I never forgot that she did love me
但我不会忘记她一直爱着我
even if, if she did it
即使她忘记了
all the time
一直如此
all the time
一直如此 一直如此
I hope you will know how much I really need this
我希望你们知道我有多需要这次机会
I can’t go to college or anything without it
没有它我就不能去大学或做任何事情
she earned a 95 average, and finished the top of class of 150
她平均成绩95分,是班上150名学生中最高的

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!