你今天终于对了第一次
You’re right for the first time today.
有了更好的待遇?-没错!
Got a better offer? – You bet!
替别人工作去吧!这就是我的回报
Alright, go on, take it, work for somebody else! That’s the gratitude I get.
少演戏啦
Stop hamming.
五年前,你还刚大学毕业 我雇了一个娃娃脸的乡巴佬!
Five years ago, you were a college girl. I took a doll-faced hick!
我要不是娃娃脸 你也不会接受我
You wouldn’t have if I wasn’t doll-faced.
一张看起来不会让人害怕的脸真是新鲜
It was a novelty to have a face to look at without shuddering.
我让你成了大记者,
你在任何别的报社你都不会这么优秀
I made you a great reporter. You won’t be as good on any other paper.
我们是一个团队 报社需要我们两个!
We’re a team. The paper needs both of us!
别再说谎了!
Sold American!
好了,继续说下去 -听着,华特,拜托
All right, go ahead. – Listen, Walter, please.
报社没有我照样要经营下去 你也是一样
The paper’s going to have to get along without me. So will you.
没有解决的方法
It didn’t work out.
如果你满足于当个编辑和记者就有解决的方法
It would have worked if you’d been satisfied as editor and reporter.
你得跟我结婚 然后弄砸每件事
You had to marry me and spoil everything.
我不满足吗?我想是我向你求婚的!
I wasn’t satisfied? I suppose I proposed to you!
本来就是!看着我直到我承受不了
Practically! Making eyes at me until I broke down.
“噢,华特!” 我求婚时很紧张
“Oh, Walter!” I was tight when I proposed to you.
你应该早就忘记你是个绅士了
If you’d been a gentleman, you’d have forgotten about it.
你以前说的更好一些
You used to pitch better than that.
喂,什么事?
Hello. What?
史威尼?我能帮什么吗?
Sweeney? What can I do for you?
什么?等等 我不是史威尼,我是达菲
What? Wait a minute. I’m not Sweeney. I’m Duffy.
史威尼,你不能这样对我 今天不能这样,以后也不能!
Sweeney, you can’t do that to me. Not today, of all days!
你怎么了?你疯了吗?
What’s the matter with you? Are you a loony?
现在,听着,史威尼 没有时间…
Now, listen, Sweeney. This is no time…
好了,我想是吧 如果你一定要怎么办,就办吧
All right, I suppose so. If you have to, you have to.
他非得要办 -事事我都碰上了
He had to. – Everything happens to me.
一年三百六十五天,就得是今天了
365 days in a year, and this has to be the day.
出了什么事?
What’s wrong?
史威尼 -死了吗?
Sweeney. – Dead?
我求之不得 他选今天生小孩!
He might as well be. He picks today to have a baby!
不是故意的吗?
Not on purpose?
他应该要负责厄氏的案子 他人在哪呢?
He’s supposed to cover the Earl Williams case, and where is he?
在医院里跑上跑下 没有荣誉感了吗?
Walking up and down in a hospital. Is there no honor?
难道就没别人了吗?
Haven’t you got anybody else?
报上没什么别人可以写的
Nobody else on the paper can write.
这回可把我砸了
This’ll break me.
除非…
Unless…
海蒂!
Hildy!
你一定要帮我 -免谈,华特
You’ve got to help me. – Not a chance, Walter.
出去,达菲!
Get out of here, Duffy!
省省吧
Save your breath
这会让我们俩再度复合
This’ll bring us back together again.
这正是我怕的
That’s what I’m afraid of.
这比其他任何事都大
This is bigger than anything else.
就算为了报社
Do it for the paper.
别烦我,史凡加利
Scram, Svengali.
如果你不为爱情 那么为了钱如何?
If you won’t do it for love,how about money?
我加你一星期二十五元
I’ll raise you $25 a week.
听我说,你这个狒狒…
Listen to me, you baboon…
我最多加到三十五元 价钱不能再高了
I’ll make it $35 and not a cent more.
听着!
Listen!
别家报社付你多少?
How much will the other paper pay?
没有别的报社
There’s no other paper.
那就没有加薪 回到你原来的薪资
Then the raise is off. You go back to your old salary.
想要勒索我
Trying to blackjack me.
我很忙 -你好好看看这个
I’m busy. – Take a good look at it.
你知道这是什么?这是订婚戒指
Do you know what it is? It’s an engagement ring.
订婚戒指?
Engagement ring?
我想马上告诉你
I tried to tell you right away…
但你一直说个没完
…but you would start reminiscing.
我要结婚了 我要远离报业
I’m getting married, and I’m getting as far away…
能离多远,就多远
…from the newspaper business as I can get.
我玩完了
I’m through.
你可以结婚 但不能辞职 -不能?为什么不能?
You can get married, but not quit. – No? Why not?
我知道辞职意味着什么
I know what quitting would mean.
什么意思? -辞职会要你的命
What? – It would kill you.
别跟我来这套 -你是新闻记者
You can’t sell me that. – You’re a newspaperman.
我要去个我能做个女人的地方
I want to go someplace where I can be a woman.
你是说,一个背叛者 -背叛什么了?
You mean, be a traitor. – A traitor to what?
报纸 你是个记者!
To journalism. You’re a journalist!
记者?你什么意思?
A journalist? What does that mean?
从钥匙孔里偷♥窥♥,追逐救火车…
Peeking through keyholes, chasing fire engines…
把人半夜摇醒问问题
…waking people up in the night to ask questions…
偷老女人的照片? 我知道记者的一切勾当
…stealing pictures off old ladies? I know all about reporters.
好管闲事又没薪水拿 为了什么?
Buttinskies running around with no money, and for what?
为了成千上万的人知道发生什么事,我…
So a million people will know what’s going on. Why, I…
有什么用?
What’s the use?
华特,你不知道这会意味着什么
Walter, you wouldn’t know what it means…
是意味着要受到尊重 过个半正常人的生活
…to want to be respectable and live a halfway normal life.
我的意思是,我玩完了
The point is, I’m through.
你在哪碰到的这个人?
Where did you meet this man?
百慕达
Bermuda.
有钱吗?
Rich?
他不是你说的那么富有 他年收入五千元吧
He’s not what you’d call rich. He makes about $5000 a year.
从事什么行业? -保险业
What’s his line? – He’s in the insurance business.
保险业?
Insurance business?
真是一个诚实的好行业
That’s a good honest business.
当然啦,很诚实 很刺♥激♥,也很浪漫
Sure, it’s honest. It’s also adventurous, romantic.
我不能想像你被保险条款围绕着…
I can’t picture you being surrounded by policies…
我可以,我喜欢,更重要是…
I can, and I like it, what’s more.
跟我在一起的时候他会完全忘记公事
Besides, he forgets the office when he’s with me.
他没有把我当个跑腿的小子
He doesn’t treat me like an errand boy.
他把我当一个女人看待
He treats me like a woman.
是吗?我对你怎么样?像只水牛吗?
He does? How did I treat you? Like a water buffalo?
我不知道水牛,但是我了解他
I don’t know from buffaloes, but I do know about him.
他心地善良又温柔体贴
He’s kind, he’s sweet, and he’s considerate.
他要家,要小孩
He wants a home and children.
听起来像我该结婚的人 他叫什么名字?
Sounds like a guy I ought to marry. What’s his name?
鲍德温,布鲁斯·鲍德温
Baldwin. Bruce Baldwin.
我以前认识个鲍德温,是个盗马贼
I knew a Baldwin once, a horse thief.
不会是同一个人,对吧?
Couldn’t be the same fellow, could it?
你不要这样评论我明天就要嫁的人
You are not talking about the man I’m marrying tomorrow.
明天?这么快?
Tomorrow? As soon as that?
我总算说出了我来这里要告诉你的事
At last, I got out what I came up here to tell you.
我想是没有什么可说的了
Guess there isn’t any more to the story.
再见,华特
So long, Walter.
再见,海蒂
So long, Hildy.
希望下次你运气好点
Better luck to you next time.
谢谢
Thanks.
你像是把我船帆的风夺走了
Well, you kind of took the wind out of my sail.
我只是祝福你 我无法给你的一切
I just want to wish you everything I couldn’t give you.
这个人,我很抱歉我没有机会见他
This other fellow. I’m sorry I didn’t get a chance to see him.
我很好奇我太太要跟谁结婚
I’m particular about whom my wife marries.
他在哪里?
Where is he?
他正在工作,等我出去
He’s right on the job, waiting for me out there.
介意我见见他吗?
Do you mind if I meet him?
没有什么好处 -你不是害怕吧?
It wouldn’t do any good. – You’re not afraid, are you?
当然不是
Of course not.
让我们见见这位好好先生 他真的跟你说的一样好?
Let’s see this paragon. Is he as good as you say?
他比我说的还好
He’s better.
那他看上你哪一点呢? -算你问倒我了
Then what does he want with you? – You got me.
我一小时候回来,缪莉德
Back in an hour, Mildred.
抱歉,海蒂 我觉得布鲁斯…他叫什么?
I am sorry, Hildy. I suppose Bruce… What’s his name?
我想他会替你开门吧?
I suppose he opens doors for you?
跟个女士在一起的时候,他会摘下帽子
And with a lady, he takes his hat off.
抱歉
I am sorry.
当他跟女士走在一起,他应该等着她
When he walks with a lady, he waits for her.
这样的话…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!