给我接典狱长的办公室 -你会希望你从没被生出来
Give me the warden’s office. – You’ll wish you’d never been born.
是吗?
Will I?
嗨,佛莱德 -彼得,做得好
Hello, Fred. – Well, fine work, Pete.
你送完货了 -看起来很自然不是吗?
You delivered the goods. – Looks natural, don’t it?
给眼睛痛的人看的 -帮助罪犯
Sight for sore eyes. – Aiding a criminal.
还有绑♥架♥的指控… 那是什么?
And a little charge of kidnapping… What’s that?
但那是监狱,肯定有人的
But that’s the jail. There must be somebody there.
看起来你们两人要各坐十年牢 -是吗?
Looks like about ten years apiece for you two birds. – Does it?
你以为你打败了早报时,是时候走人了
When you think you’ve got the Morning Post licked , it’s time for you get out of town.
现在故作冷静可没什么用,你们完蛋了
Whistling in the dark. That ain’t gonna help you this time. You’re through.
亚奇李♥克♥在他自杀前一星期对我说的
Archie Leach said that to me a week before he cut his throat.
是吗?
Is that so?
我们曾经碰过比这还糟的,对不对 海蒂?
We’ve been in worse jams than this, haven’t we, Hildy?
你忘记了早报背后的那些势力
You forget the power that always watches over the Morning Post.
现在运气不在你那一边 -我是哈特威尔
Your luck’s not with you now. – This is Hartwell.
我抓到他了,是的,威廉斯
I’ve caught him. Yes, Williams.
只有我一个人 照时间继续行刑
Single-handed. Proceed to the hanging, per schedule.
你会再待在办公室两天
You’ll be in office exactly two days more.
我们不再让你享福了
We’ll pull your nose out of that feedbag.
我告诉你你要做什么 在监狱里做扫把
I tell you what you’ll be doing. Making brooms in the penitentiary.
乔?我是哈特威尔
Joe? This is Hartwell.
马上去我的办公室
Come to my office right away.
我抓到两个重要的人,记录他们的证词
I captured a couple of important birds. Take their confessions.
去找莱包威兹
Get Liebowitz.
全世界的律师也不帮不了你了
All the lawyers in the world won’t help you now.
听着,你是在和早报说话!
Listen, you’re talking to the Morning Post!
媒体的力量
The power of the press.
比你更有权势的人都知道媒体的力量
Bigger men than you have found out what the power of the press is.
总统,国王
Presidents, kings…
这里是缓刑令 -出去
Here’s the reprieve. – Get out.
你不能贿赂我,我太太… -出去
You can’t bribe me. My wife… – Get out.
不,我不出去,这是缓刑令 -什么?
No, I won’t. Here’s the reprieve. – What?
我不要当市府检验员
I don’t want to be a city sealer.
把他丢出去 -你出去
Throw him out. – Out you go.
等等 谁想贿赂你?
Wait. Who’s trying to bribe you?
他们不接受这个 -疯了!
They wouldn’t take it. – Insane!
我说什么?看不见的力量
What did I say? An unseen power.
你进来说些胡编乱造的话是什么意思?
What do you mean by coming here with a cock-and-bull story like that?
他是骗子 – 逮捕他
He’s an imposter. -Arrest him.
想要吊死无辜的人 好赢得选战?
Trying to hang an innocent man to win an election, eh?
这是谋杀
That’s murder.
我从没见过他 -如果我要告诉…
I never saw him before. – If I was to tell my wife…
你叫什么名字? -乔·彼得伯恩
What’s your name? – Joe Pettibone.
你第一次是什么时候送的? -你跟谁说过话?
When did you deliver this first? – Who’d you talk to?
他们开始贿赂我 -他们?
They started to bribe me. – They?
这些人,他们 -表面上看来有点荒谬
Those. Them. – It’s absurd on the face of it.
他说话像小孩子
He’s talking like a child.
像婴儿口中说出来 -嗨,宝贝
Out of the mouths of babes. – Hi, babe.
他疯了或是喝醉了
He’s insane or drunk.
如果这个不幸的人真被判缓刑,我就会开心死
If this unfortunate man has been reprieved,I’m tickled to death.
是不是,皮特? -为了要再获选,你也会把你妈吊死
Aren’t you, Pete? – You’d hang your mother to be reelected.
这是可怕的指控
That’s a horrible thing to say about anybody.
你很棒 看看
You’re marvelous. Take a look at that.
你是个聪明人 -没关系
You’re an intelligent man. – Never mind.
我们听听你的故事
Let’s have your story.
十九年前,我娶了… -跳过这些全部
Nineteen years ago, I married Mrs… – Skip all that.
她那时候不是彼得伯恩女士 她是…
She wasn’t Mrs. Pettibone then. She was one of the…
这文件是真的,威廉斯已经被判缓刑
This document is authentic. Williams has been reprieved.
我们的国家免除一场血光之灾
Our commonwealth has been saved the necessity of shedding blood.
别大吹打擂 留在护民报上说
Get off the soapbox. Save that for the Tribune.
别铐我的朋友
Take those handcuffs off my friends.
你真让我惊讶 做出这种事来 -他不是很可怕?
I’m amazed at you, doing a thing like that. – Isn’t he awful?
你不知道我感觉有多不好
You don’t know how badly I feel.
别替彼得找借口
No excuse at all for Pete.
我只是尽我的义务 -没关系
I was only doing my duty. – That’s all right.
你说你叫什么名字? -彼得伯恩
What’d you say your name was? – Pettibone.
这是我太太的照片 -很美的女人
Here’s a picture of my wife. – Fine-looking woman.
你还没见过她本人 -她很好
You haven’t seen her yet. – She’s all right.
她对我来说已经够好了,如果我要说…唔哈哈
She’s good enough for me. If I was to tell my wife… Ohh-hoo-hoo!
我非常了解,只要我还是市长…
I understand perfectly, and as long as I am mayor…
应该还有三个多小时
Which ought to be about 3 more hours.
足够我们写有关你的回忆录了
Just long enough for us to get our special edition asking for your recall.
还有逮捕你们,你们每个都会有十年的徒刑
And your arrest. You boys ought to get about ten years apiece.
别做任何轻率的决定,否则你可能会涉及诽谤
Don’t make any hasty decisions. You might run into a libel suit.
你会碰到州长
You’ll run into the governor.
我们非常了解彼此对方
We understand each other perfectly.
是的,我也是
Yes, and so do I.
你也是什么?现在,彼得柏恩先生…
So do you what, you hoodoo? And now, Mr. Pettibone…
我们会把这个缓刑案交到典狱长办公室,过来
…we’ll deliver this reprieve to the warden’s office. Come along.
如果我要告诉我太太… -你不需要
If I was to tell my wife… – You won’t have to.
等到他们明天早上读到早报再说
Wait till those two future jailbirds read the Morning Post tomorrow.
真是紧急
Tight sqeeze though.
帮我接达菲 -那是我们近来最糟的一次
Give me Duffy. – That’s the worst jam we’ve been in a long time.
什么?哪里?抓住他
What? Where? Get him.
记得从验尸官那里偷老太婆海格蒂的胃?
Remember the time we stole old lady Haggerty’s stomach off the coroner’s physician?
你需要这家伙的时候他都不在
Anytime you need this guy he’s never there.
我们证明她是被毒死的,不是吗?
We proved she’d been poisoned, didn’t we?
我们不得不避避锋头一星期
We had to hide out for a week.
你还记得吗?
Do you remember that?
雪尔兰饭店 那儿就是我们刚好…
The Shoreland Hotel. That’s where—I mean, how we happened to…
我们差点因为那个被抓进监狱
We could have gone to jail for that too.
是的,也许你是对的,海蒂,
这的确是个糟糕的行业
Yes, maybe you’re right, Hildy. t’s a bad business.
你最好退出
You’ll be better off.
你最好启程
You better get going.
我要去哪里? -当然去找布鲁斯
Where would I go? – To Bruce, of course.
你知道他走了,搭火车走了 -打电报
You know he’s gone. He took a train. – Send a wire.
当你到艾尔邦尼,他会在火车站等
He’ll be waiting at the station when you get into Albany.
他为何没有电♥话♥? -我不知道,我都弄乱了…
Why doesn’t he have a phone? – I don’t know. I got us messed up…
走吧,海蒂 -你怎么了?
Get going, Hildy. – What is that with you?
等等
Wait a minute.
你不了解吗?
Look honey, can’t you understand?
我想做点高尚的事 在我改变心意前出去
I’m trying to do something noble. Get out before I change my mind.
真的很不好受
It’s tough enough now.
等等 -打电报给他,他会等
Just a minute. – Send him a wire. He’ll be waiting.
谁会写报导? -我,虽然不会这么好…
Who’ll write the story? – I will. It won’t be as good…
这是我的报导 我想这是…
It’s my story. I like to think that it…
终于 -我懂了,还是老样子,不是吗?
At last. – I get it. The same old act, isn’t it?
欲擒故纵
Try to push me out, thinking I’ll want to stay.
我知道我罪有应得,等等,达菲
I know I deserve that. Wait a minute, Duffy.
这次你错了
This time you’re wrong.
当你走出去 我的一部分会跟着你走
When you walk out that door, part of me will go right with you.
但全新的世界会为你打开
But a whole new world will open up for you.
我开艾尔邦尼和布鲁斯的玩笑 你知道原因吗?
I made fun of Bruce and Albany. You know why?
为什么? -因为我忌妒
Why? – I was jealous.
我很难受,因为他可以
为你提供我无法给你的那种生活
I was sore because he could offer you the kind of life I can’t give you.
这才是你要的,亲爱的
That’s what you want, honey.
我能写报导,然后搭火车…
I could do the story and take the train…
算了,快,快
Forget it. Come on. Come on.
再见了,亲爱的,祝你好运
Goodbye, dear, and good luck.
达菲,这是目前的情形…
Duffy, now this is how it goes so far…
等等
Just a minute.
嗨,谁?海蒂强森?
Hello. Who? Hildy Johnson?
她刚走 -我还在这,我接
She just left. – I’m still here. I can take it.
等等
Hang on a minute.
我是海蒂强森
Hildy Johnson speaking.
第四管区警♥察♥局?
The Fourth Precinct Police Station?
让他接电♥话♥
Put him on.
我以为你在去艾尔邦尼的路上…
I thought you were on your way to Albany…
为什么?
What for?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!